ADVERTISEMENT

If we weren't the Wildcats...

The Thundering Downbeats
The Splines
The Mary Tyler Moore Show Spinoffs
The Variegated Nonsense

Most of the Kentucky themed ones would be good. Blue Devils is one of the stupidest names I've ever heard for a supposedly institution of higher learning. A little league team with that name would be a better fit.

Most of the Kentucky themed ones would be good. Blue Devils is one of the stupidest names I've ever heard for a supposedly institution of higher learning. A little league team with that name would be a better fit.
Henry Clay HS alum respectfully disagree.

Reactions: katwest
Wake Forest Deacon Demons??

...what would you choose for our name? I mean, Wildcats is pretty unoriginal, stacked up next to Jayhawks, Tarheels, Blue Devils, Fighting Irish, Crimson Tide, etc.

I say Colonels. I could live with: Horses, Longshots, Bourbons, and Reign.
I would just leave it up Kentucky be original make a statement

The Crimson Tide. WTF is that.
The Orangemen.
Big Red
Big Green
Purple Aces
And who is the school that they need an “s” at the end of their name for it to make sense?

The Tar Heels I used to think bad, but now that I know the origin it not horrible. But that doesn’t explain how their mascot relates.

I’ll add some fabric to this story…

A few years after UK became known as The Wildcats, they were playing a football game at the University of Cincinnati. One of UC’s best players had the last name Baehr (pronounced like Bear). During the game a chant broke out and was something like, “they are the wildcats, but we have the Baehr cat”. Later that week the student newspaper had a cartoon depicting a Bearcat chasing a Wildcat. The name stuck. So they got their name based on our name.
We’ve lived in their heads so much. They really can’t stand us. The created a mascot in a game they barely won. 14-7. I dislike that whole university.

Last edited:
Wildcats are more fierce than most Cats and will take on anything. I watched one take on a wolvrine once when I was deer hunting in Michigan. No back down in either.

crashin calimaris

4ffi8FC.gif

"The Kentucky Gamblers"

Just joking, no really it's almost time to legally wager in this state.

I know that it would never happen but I've always wished we would change our mascot and name. There are far too many wildcats and the only good thing about it was the C-A-T-S cheer but that's been ruined over the past 20 years as the cheerleaders don't know how to do it properly. Nowadays it's much too fast with the "Ohhhhh C-A-T-S CATS CATS CATS". Originally the spelling was much more drawn out and had a haunting cadence to it.

EKU has Colonels
Murray has Racers
K State has Thoroughbreds.

I do think that something horse related would be more fitting. It's just a matter of finding the right one.

Forest Wake Demon Deacons
Ironically, the old location of Wake Forest Univ "Demon Deacons", which is in Wake Forest NC, holds a Baptist seminary (Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary).

(Wake Forest the town is just north of Raleigh, both are in Wake County, but over an hour away from present WF Univ in Winston-Salem),

I know that it would never happen but I've always wished we would change our mascot and name. There are far too many wildcats and the only good thing about it was the C-A-T-S cheer but that's been ruined over the past 20 years as the cheerleaders don't know how to do it properly. Nowadays it's much too fast with the "Ohhhhh C-A-T-S CATS CATS CATS". Originally the spelling was much more drawn out and had a haunting cadence to it.

EKU has Colonels
Murray has Racers

I do think that something horse related would be more fitting. It's just a matter of finding the right one.
I agree completely about the C-A-T-S cheer!!!
The old C (pause) A (pause) T (pause) S with each letter coming from a different quarter of the arena was quite (as you put it) "haunting" and much LOUDER. I even remember hearing it (in addition to "Go Big Blue" chants) in the Dean Dome when we played UNC there.

Ironically, the old location of Wake Forest Univ "Demon Deacons", which is in Wake Forest NC, holds a Baptist seminary (Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary).

(Wake Forest the town is just north of Raleigh, both are in Wake County, but over an hour away from present WF Univ in Winston-Salem),
Thanks to tobacco money…. Reynolds family.

EKU has Colonels
Murray has Racers

I just watched a comedian on Reels make fun of our chant (he was in Lexington at the time). He was saying we were just proving that we know how to spell cats despite our state's academic reputation. Then he said "Don't feel bad I'm from Missouri, where our chant is M-I-Z,Z-O-U....see? We can't even spell."

I just watched a comedian on Reels make fun of our chant (he was in Lexington at the time). He was saying we were just proving that we know how to spell cats despite our state's academic reputation. Then he said "Don't feel bad I'm from Missouri, where our chant is M-I-Z,Z-O-U....see? We can't even spell."
Admittedly, it "CATS" is not very original or creative. But you can say that equally so about either method (fast or slow) of chanting it. The fast one (to me) is just 'blah' almost like something every school does. While the slow one, dividing it by sides of the arena or stadium was pretty loud and intimidating, not to mention easier to continue for longer period of time.

I like Wildcats but another could be Long Rifles, a nod to the famous frontier gun of early Kentucky settlers. On a side note, Somerset has the best mascot name: Briar Jumpers. Another name for a rabbit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT