ADVERTISEMENT

If season started today with the kids we got now, who are the

Ulis
Briscoe
Poythress
Lee
Skal

Alex at the three only out of necessity.

Cal will add at least two more, however, and shore up the gaping hole at the second wing position.

Ulis
Briscoe
Poy
Lee
Skal

Need more bodies......along with Mulder, Mathews, Willis and Hawkins not sure any significant 5 on 5 can take place in practice.

Right now I think we are looking at....

PG Ulis
SG Briscoe
SF Matthews
PF Poythress
C Labisierre

I'm good with that lineup. Alex would be the x-factor. If he plays like Bahamas Alex, this lineup could dominate. If he plays passive that puts a lot of pressure on the young guys to score.

Reactions: BlueCat43
Starters
G Ulis
G Briscoe
G Matthews
F Poythress
F Labissiere

Key Reserves
F Lee- 6th man, starter minutes.
G Hawkins- backcourt sub, plays 10-15 mpg.

Good team, might not shoot very well, though.

Need a shooter/perimeter scorer like Murray to solidify the lineup and make it Final Four good. Not sold on Mulder. I am not confident about JUCO players.

Reactions: CatPhight
Is Matthews 'good enough' to start at the 3?

Can he score?

I think he will be our best option there unless we sign Murray. Poythress needs to play the 4, he is better suited for that position and it creates depth inside by keeping Lee on the bench.

And Matthews won't have to score a lot with Labissiere, Briscoe, Poythress, and Ulis on the floor with him. He will just need to defend, rebound, and knock down the occasional jumper to stretch defenses.

Reactions: bigc45157
I must admit I've inly followed the Evals on here about Matthews. I still haven't seen him in action.

No matter who we end up signing, I would not mind seeing Cal start with three guards and make us a more quicker offensively fluid team. My dream line-up would be Ulis, Briscoe, Murray, Lee and Skal. We still have to get Murray obviously, but that group would score at will and block a lot of shots!

Poythress isn't starting at the 3...
I love it when people state things definitely when they have no clue what will happen. Poythress has played the majority of his minutes at the 3, yet you're assured he won't start there.

What is UK gets Diallo and Mulder? Does Diallo come off the bench? I could easily see Poythress starting at the 3 in that scenario. Point is, you have no clue who is going to start.

For the record, I think Poythress starts at the 4, and I think that's best for the team, but I can't tell you for sure he will.

If the season started today, with the kids we have now, how many will leave for the NBA after the season?

PG Ulis
SG Briscoe
SF Matthews
PF Poythress
C Labisierre

I'm good with that lineup. Alex would be the x-factor. If he plays like Bahamas Alex, this lineup could dominate. If he plays passive that puts a lot of pressure on the young guys to score.

Yep. That's my lineup as well. It's not ideal, but there are some strengths and it would be fun watching them grow.

Fortunately, I think the cavalry is coming.

No matter who we end up signing, I would not mind seeing Cal start with three guards and make us a more quicker offensively fluid team. My dream line-up would be Ulis, Briscoe, Murray, Lee and Skal. We still have to get Murray obviously, but that group would score at will and block a lot of shots!

Your "dream" lineup includes Lee starting?

Starters
G Ulis
G Briscoe
G Matthews
F Poythress
F Labissiere

Key Reserves

Need a shooter/perimeter scorer like Murray to solidify the lineup and make it Final Four good. Not sold on Mulder. I am not confident about JUCO players.

I don't get the knock on JUCO's. Four star high school guys flame out at the same rate as four star JUCO's. I look at a guy like Terry Rozier to see what Mulder might be able to bring to the table. Nice shooter with some explosiveness. Not saying he will become Rozier, but who knows.

PG Ulis
SG Briscoe
SF Matthews
PF Poythress
C Labisierre

I like this lineup

Your "dream" lineup includes Lee starting?
I have always been high on Lee, especially after he became a huge reason why we went to championship game his Freshmen year. If he gets big minutes, I feel he would put up really good numbers. He is a high energy guy that I love on the floor. Last year, it seemed like every little mistake he made, he would get yanked quicker than anyone else; I think he has the potential to block a lot of shots and get a lot of garbage points, all the while supplying this team with great energy.

I have always been high on Lee, especially after he became a huge reason why we went to championship game his Freshmen year. If he gets big minutes, I feel he would put up really good numbers. He is a high energy guy that I love on the floor. Last year, it seemed like every little mistake he made, he would get yanked quicker than anyone else; I think he has the potential to block a lot of shots and get a lot of garbage points, all the while supplying this team with great energy.

IMO, he wasn't benched for the obvious mistakes as much as he was for the mental lapses on offense and defense. He does not have natural bball instincts. Marcus has a ways to go and if we are relying on him to be a starter this year we are probably hurting.

I love the kid's personality and hustle, he offers spurts of productivity. I hope the game comes easier for him this coming year as he is an asset, just not to the level of starting, IMHO. I hope he proves me wrong and does great.

IMO, he wasn't benched for the obvious mistakes as much as he was for the mental lapses on offense and defense. He does not have natural bball instincts. Marcus has a ways to go and if we are relying on him to be a starter this year we are probably hurting.

I love the kid's personality and hustle, he offers spurts of productivity. I hope the game comes easier for him this coming year as he is an asset, just not to the level of starting, IMHO. I hope he proves me wrong and does great.
I see what you are saying, I just feel he could put up big numbers. People on this board are stoked that Poytress is coming back and so am I, but he is the one on the team that does not have natural basketball instincts in my opinion. He does not dribble well, shoot well, pass well, and so on. Lee on the other hand can catch alley hoops and block shots all day at the very least. I understand that poy gives us an excellent re-bounder and a pretty good defender, but nothing else really.

Switch out Poythress with Lee and I would agree.

Switch out Poythress with Lee and I would agree.
I imagine Lee and Skal form the next great duo known as the "block brothers," and combine to be the greatest shot blocking tandem in wildcat history. I am surprised people prefer Poytress over Lee, I feel Lee has more upside and can give us more.

I see what you are saying, I just feel he could put up big numbers. People on this board are stoked that Poytress is coming back and so am I, but he is the one on the team that does not have natural basketball instincts in my opinion. He does not dribble well, shoot well, pass well, and so on. Lee on the other hand can catch alley hoops and block shots all day at the very least. I understand that poy gives us an excellent re-bounder and a pretty good defender, but nothing else really.

I do not disagree about Alex, but he still dribbles and shoots better than Marcus, and he can catch oops and rebound just as well. Alex can also guard out on the floor. Alex has made a 3 pointer and shoots FT's way better. Neither have bball instincts that we would expect at this level.

This line up is the best but doesn't exactly work.
Poythress
Skal
Ulis
Briscoe
Lee
Lee and Poy don't seem like a good match together at each spot as neither are good at creating their own shot and certainly are not reliable outside shooters. Matthews didn't show much in the Jordan classic and no one is describing him as an instant impact player and won't be a starter. We desperately need someone like Diallo because you can have him Skal and Poy or Lee in the front court together.

Poythress might start at the 3, but his best position is the 4.

If we get Diallo, Poythress probably starts at the 3 to allow Diallo and Labissiere to start at the 4 and 5.

Reactions: BlueCat43
It could go a couple ways. If Matthews comes in and does well along with the other two freshmen (assuming they also come in ready to start, but I assume they will), it could look like this:

Ulis, Briscoe, Matthews, Poythress, Skal
Lee sixth man off bench, also getting lots of time.

If not, this one seems to have the most available star power starting:
Ulis, Briscoe, Poythress, Lee, Skal
That depends on the offensive abilities/improvements of Poy and Lee, though, and the only big off the bench would be Willis.

Maybe some huge breakthrough happens with Hawkins and/or Willis? I'm rooting for them, but it's a tall task at hand.

Regardless of what happens, go big blue! It sounds like UK picks up Mulder, though.

Starters
G Ulis
G Briscoe
G Matthews
F Poythress
F Labissiere

Key Reserves

ADVERTISEMENT