ADVERTISEMENT

If Kings Start WCS, Cousins, Rondo..Has Any NBA Team Ever Had 3 Starters Same School

They might go small with McClemore, Bellinelli, Gay. Hard to play WCS and Rondo both. Maybe they will stil trade Cousins.

Listen.... Kings plan too start WCS next to Cousins. That is basically the whole reason they got him... Cousins isnt' a defender hes a scorer. WCS is that Ibaka like defender.

Reactions: kyisinmyblood
Lakers used to have Kareem and Jamal (Silk) Wilkes. Don't know if they ever had a third UCLA guy.

Did all three start? I know Antoine and Mercer did, not sure about Walter at the same time.

Just looked and they started 82 (Walker), 64 (McCarty) and 62 (Mercer). I am sure there are other teams that have done it.

Did the Bulls at one point have three Duke starters? Boozer, Deng, Dunleavy?

Good one. That was the 13-14 season. Looks like Deng played and started 23 games and the other 2 over 60 each.

Again, anytime someone is looking for records with respect to the most players from the same college team playing in the NBA, suggest they start looking at the Indianapolis Olympians.

Not 100% sure they all started but for both the 1949-50 and 1950-51 seasons Alex Groza, Ralph Beard and Wallace Jones were the top three players in terms of points per game. (would be top 3 both years in points scored except Jones only played 22 games in 1950-51). So presumably those three started. And there were additional former UK players on the team who may have started as well.

The Cincinnati Royals had 5 UC Bearcats on their team back in the mid 60's. Can't tell how many started in 1 game together, but I believe they did territorial drafts back then...someone correct me if I am wrong.

They might go small with McClemore, Bellinelli, Gay. Hard to play WCS and Rondo both. Maybe they will stil trade Cousins.
Why would it be hard for Rondo to play with WCS? I don't know a big man in the NBA that can run with Rondo like WCS..... They will make a great combo, and Rondo is one of, if not the best passing point in the NBA, and I look for WCS to get a lot of dunks..... I do think they'll keep Cousins, because it makes no since to trade the best center in the league.. I don't think the owner are that dumb.... I can see them adding a few more parts and making a run at the top.....

Why would it be hard for Rondo to play with WCS?

Makes it easier for defenses to collapse on Cousins when you have 2 non shooters on the floor. Ideally Cousins should be paired with a stretch 4 for optimal spacing, but we'll see what happens.

Reactions: J_Dee
Cauley Stein will complement both Cousins and Rondo PERFECTLY.

Hard nose defender who Rondo will respect and be able to just throw the ball at the rim on half court sets and in transition.

Allows Cousins a help defender who he knows has his back on defense and on offense as a pick and roll type player for Rondo, WCS will open the lane up allowing Demarcus to get open looks when his defender has to come up to meet Rondo on the drive or WCS off the pass.

IF...IF...IF cooler heads prevail I can see Thai thing working if the Kings are able to get a shooter. Aaron Harrison anyone lol? No really....might as well go get JR Smith. Matching attitude and can shoot when he is happy in the offense haha.

Makes it easier for defenses to collapse on Cousins when you have 2 non shooters on the floor. Ideally Cousins should be paired with a stretch 4 for optimal spacing, but we'll see what happens.
By every report WCS shooting has been beautiful in workouts and he has been nailing the mid range jumper every time. Cal didn't let him shoot because we didn't need him to be a shooter. Willie won't hit threes at a consistent pace, but he will keep his man honest from 15 feet off of pick and rolls.

Seems to me if you play Willie and Rajon a lot of minutes together you're going to struggle mightily to score. But maybe that's just me......

Kings aren't going to make the playoffs outscoring people. They have one of the best defensive guards in the league in Rondo and a rookie who can become one of the best defensive big men. He complements Cousins because Cousins is 70 percent offense 30 percent defense and Cauley-Stein is the opposite.

What others said. If you play WCS and Cousins together, you need a pg and 2 wings who can shoot to space the floor.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Willie won't develop into a stretch 4 by next season.

By every report WCS shooting has been beautiful in workouts and he has been nailing the mid range jumper every time.

You're talking about shooting in an empty gym with no defense and no pressure to perform? Come on now. Maybe WCS will surprise everyone and develop that shot consistently, but I'm not banking on that.

Make sure u come back during the season and admit to being a goober about this

I gladly will.

Sorry, but I just don't see two guys that are essentially centers starting alongside each other. If Cauley-Stein can consistently hit a jump shot out to mid-range then maybe it could work, but I'm not at all convinced that Cauley-Stein will go into the NBA knocking down jumpers from the get-go.

Just because WCS can hit jumpers in an empty gym workout doesn't mean squat as far as shooting in real game action. I bet over time WCS will develop a decent mid-range shot, but it's not going to happen by the time this season starts. And unless Cauley-Stein can space the floor in some capacity, that will be a detriment to Cousins because teams will be able to help more easily.

If I'm an NBA team defending the Kings, I'm going to let Cauley-Stein and Rondo shoot ALL DAY LONG. If that's what beats me, then I will tip my cap. But I'm sorry, there's no way you can realistically think that WCS and Rondo in there with Cousins will be a good offensive trio. That could easily spell disaster.

You're talking about shooting in an empty gym with no defense and no pressure to perform? Come on now. Maybe WCS will surprise everyone and develop that shot consistently, but I'm not banking on that.
Not just an empty gym, but in 3 on 3 and 5 on 5. The reviews from scouts raving about his jumper holds more water considering they do it for a living. Is he going to be Tim Duncan from 15..,.no, but he can keep the defense honest.

I guess if all these players remain together, then the Kings think it will work... I think it will too, but I guess the proof will be in the pudding.... We'll have to wait and see... I don't see any need for WCS to develop into a long range shooter, not with the pick and rolls in the NBA and Rondo with the ball...

I guess if all these players remain together, then the Kings think it will work... I think it will too, but I guess the proof will be in the pudding.... We'll have to wait and see... I don't see any need for WCS to develop into a long range shooter, not with the pick and rolls in the NBA and Rondo with the ball...
Bad thing with the pick and rolls between Rondo and WCS is the defender never has to fight through it because they know Rondo isn't going to shoot.

Don't ask me how I know this, but for awhile in the 70s the Lakers had three UCLA starters in Kareem, Gail Goodrich and Lucius Allen (see Link). And then when Goodrich left yet another UCLA guy, Jamaal Wilkes, came in and started beside Kareem for about 8 straight years from the late 70s to mid-80s.

But I don't think it'll happen in Sacramento this year, because WCS won't be a starter as a rookie. He'll likely spend this season as Boogie's backup.

Without the qualifier of "NBA team", the Kentucky Colonels had several former UK players on the squad. Did they ever start 3+ of them?

It'll be entertaining off the court at least. I don't think this actually moves the needle for them.

Any chance we see Phoenix starting three from among knight, Bledsoe, booker and Goodwin at any point? Very small lineup but the NBA seems to be trending toward shooters and wing players.

Goodwin will never start. I could see the other 3 starting, or at least certainly playing together a lot of the time.

Why would it be hard for Rondo to play with WCS? I don't know a big man in the NBA that can run with Rondo like WCS..... They will make a great combo, and Rondo is one of, if not the best passing point in the NBA, and I look for WCS to get a lot of dunks..... I do think they'll keep Cousins, because it makes no since to trade the best center in the league.. I don't think the owner are that dumb.... I can see them adding a few more parts and making a run at the top.....

Its hard for anyone to play alongside Rondo. Sac will be a mess next season but what else is new.

ADVERTISEMENT