ADVERTISEMENT

If I’m coaching tonight

cats2010

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Big Z checks in the game along with shep and Dilly. Crowd will go absolutely bonkers and let Z get the nerves and game rust shaken off early with at least a 2-:3:00 run. Don’t care who he checks in for, just get him in. The longer he sits there the more the anxiety builds with him and the fanbase. After the initial run and depending on how he does and the flow of the game can determine how he is used the rest of the way.

Big Z checks in the game along with shep and Dilly. Crowd will go absolutely bonkers and let Z get the nerves and game rust shaken off early with at least a 2-:3:00 run. Don’t care who he checks in for, just get him in. The longer he sits there the more the anxiety builds with him and the fanbase. After the initial run and depending on how he does and the flow of the game can determine how he is used the rest of the way.
I think this is a decent idea. I was thinking maybe the second wave of subs from the 8-10 minute mark in the first half. Hopefully we have a slight lead at least. Think it would be fun if he checks in by himself. The crowd is absolutely going to lose it when he checks in. Definitely think it's better for some point in the first half to get a couple minutes in. Hopefully we have the game in hand in the 2nd half and he could get another 4 or 5 minutes. I'd say a solid 7-8 minutes of play for the game would be good. We'll see! Going to be fun.

I think I’d wait, at the very least, until we have a comfortable lead before giving the new guy his first ever game-time test.
A 2:00-3:00 run is not going to hurt this early in the game especially with shep and dilly on the court with him. I’d be happy to see shep/dilly/reeves/Z/mitchell for at least a quick 1:30-2:00 run. Can pull the plug pretty quickly if it starts to go sideways. Cal did allow our starting 5 to get outscored 14-2 in 2:30 minutes at the beginning of 2nd half last time out. No way that happens to this group.

A 2:00-3:00 run is not going to hurt this early in the game especially with shep and dilly on the court with him. I’d be happy to see shep/dilly/reeves/Z/mitchell for at least a quick 1:30-2:00 run. Can pull the plug pretty quickly if it starts to go sideways. Cal did allow our starting 5 to get outscored 14-2 in 2:30 minutes at the beginning of 2nd half last time out. No way that happens to this group.

That starting 5 also got UK out to a 15 to 5 lead in the first half. Stuff happens. Great we have depth and options.

It's pretty cool that we might have as many as 5 legitimate future NBA players on our bench now: Big Z, Sheppard, Dillingham, Onyenso, Thiero.

A month from now, I might feel equally as good about that bench as I do the starters, if not more so!
This is the first ever UK roster where I think I might be more inclined to bet on the bench over the starters in a scrimmage.

I think it’d be cool to let him start..let them announce him in the starting lineup presentation and let Rupp go off. Give him a couple quick minutes then sub…then if the rest of the game goes well, give him a few more minutes

I would start, right off the bat, and I would let him play until the first TV time out.

AlohaCat
Not a real viable option to plug him in with current starting 5. Bradshaw would make the most sense of the 3 but cal ain’t starting Z over him, Edwards also makes sense but then we are starting 2 bigs (3 counting Mitchell).

I think I’d wait, at the very least, until we have a comfortable lead before giving the new guy his first ever game-time test.
responded once to this already but wanted to add that bradshaws first appearance came very early against UNCW while we were down early by 6-9 points. If we start off super slow and get down by 7-10 points early then I might rethink my plan but if it’s a 2-4 point game one direction or another I would want to get him in as early as possible.

Get him in early cause you know the crowd will erupt & hopefully keep them enthusiastic for the rest of the game. I love the idea of him playing with Reed, he’ll make sure he gets an easy first look probably under the basket for a dunk or lob.

A lot of fans including myself have never seen him play at all. Can someone that’s seen him play give us a little input on what to expect ? Is he an immediate contributor or is he a project. Really happy he’s able to play now.

Not a real viable option to plug him in with current starting 5. Bradshaw would make the most sense of the 3 but cal ain’t starting Z over him, Edwards also makes sense but then we are starting 2 bigs (3 counting Mitchell).
Respectfully disagree, I think Bradshaw….and the entire team….would embrace Big Z starting….it would be a victory for Big Z and the TEAM !!!

AlohaCat

You called it brother, well done.

Reactions: cats2010
You called it brother, well done.
Thank you!!! Broken clock is even right twice a day 😂. In all seriousness though, actually proud of cal and pleasantly surprised with his use of Z last night. Now if only he will stop having Ugo and Bradshaw sharing the floor together for multiple times per game. Baby steps though!!!!!

Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT