ADVERTISEMENT

If brown commits to UK would that redeem April (recruiting wise)?

armchairpg

Junior
Oct 24, 2012
April 2015 has obviously stunk but do you feel that snagging Brown would redeem this hellish month?

Can't do anything about the past but it does hurt. Going forward I strive to be as happy as possible, Brown could help that posture.. :)

Reactions: Brando Mac

Assuming that we're only talking about recruiting, what he meant to say was "yes".
Look, we possibly would miss out on Brown if we didn't miss on Newman, Diallo, and Ingram. We all know about the whole ordeal about Brown not liking Newman apparently, and we've put a 4 at the 3 before. If Diallo would have came to UK, we likely would have had Poythress at the SF again next season (which would likely lead to us not getting Brown). If Newman came here, he would have started at the 3 next to Ulis at the 1, and Briscoe at the 2.
So yes, it would absolutely redeem April, because Brown is better than all of them, especially for UK, who does not have a true SF, and has been known to do very, very well with elite small forwards.
Let's be honest here, best case scenario for next year's lineup would have been:

PG. Ulis
SG. Briscoe
SF. Brown
PF. Poythress
C. Labissiere

Reactions: UKrazycat2
Not totally, but it'd help. Lets see Jaylen Brown commitment takes away the pain of losing to Wisconsin in the FInal Four when we should've won the national championship, losing seven players to the NBA draft (including two players we hoped would return), losing out on Thomas Payne, Caleb Swanigan, Stephen Zimmerman, Mike Thorne Jr., Malik Newman, Brandon Ingram, Chieck Diallo, and Shaun Kirk? Not so sure about that, but it'll help ease the tension a bit.

All I know is I hope he doesn't announce today and at least waits until tomorrow because this month is cursed ;)

Reactions: Brando Mac
Brown is much better on the offensive and skill side than Diallo - Poythress would have to become Diallo on the glass.

Yes - getting Brown would be worth losing both Diallo and Newman (as we have good guards).

Skal - #1 Center
Brisco - #1 PG
Brown - #1 Wing Forward
I think that's a pretty good class.
Typical Cal class.

Pretty good ? LMAO in terms of NBA potential that might be Cal's best class minus the Wall /Bledsoe /Cousins class as Skal is the #1 pick , Brown a top 3 pick and Briscoe a lottery pick. Matthews is a future pro and Mulder could be as well with that shooting and hops. Also think we will add one more beyond a SF . So yes . An insane class . Without Brown it is a damn good class but not Mind blowing .

Assuming that we're only talking about recruiting, what he meant to say was "yes".
Look, we possibly would miss out on Brown if we didn't miss on Newman, Diallo, and Ingram. We all know about the whole ordeal about Brown not liking Newman apparently, and we've put a 4 at the 3 before. If Diallo would have came to UK, we likely would have had Poythress at the SF again next season (which would likely lead to us not getting Brown). If Newman came here, he would have started at the 3 next to Ulis at the 1, and Briscoe at the 2.
So yes, it would absolutely redeem April, because Brown is better than all of them, especially for UK, who does not have a true SF, and has been known to do very, very well with elite small forwards.
Let's be honest here, best case scenario for next year's lineup would have been:

PG. Ulis
SG. Briscoe
SF. Brown
PF. Poythress
C. Labissiere

We were surprisingly beat in the FF, while still a great (banner worthy) season, was very disappointing to not finish the climb. Our top seven players declare for the draft. Duke wins ANOTHER title when we clearly had the best team in the field after a cakewalk to the finals.
Zimmerman to UNLV, Newman to MissSt, Diallo to KU.

Thats a pretty awful month of april. If i hear he is committing today I automatically assume he is not coming to Kentucky. If we get through today I like our chances.

The only question is does Brown believe in Cal? I say he does and he'd be set up next to the top C and top PG?

Why doesn't this happen? Its too simple.

And I'm not discounting Marcus Lee....he could be starting Day 1.

I'm a bit baffled at 80% of the responses being yes so far. Cal could have signed Newman, Diallo, Brown and Ingram and it still would not have redeemed coming up short to win the title IMO. That loss is April 2015 for UK basketball and all those associated with it, most certainly including the fans.

Do not get me wrong, Brown would be huge for next year, but in no way close to guarantees a title or even being the favorite (I'm fine with that, let someone else deal with that nonsense).

It would at least give us more hope for next year but I'm afraid that we're just getting set up for another disappointment.

I'm not sure that we have any better chance at getting Brown than we did Ingram.

We really do need another player or two for next year, there's no doubt about that!

I wish Cal had went after Damion Lee...

We dont NEED anyone. We wont be the heavy favorites this year like we were all last year but we will be right in the hunt with our current roster. Adding Brown doesnt put our name on the trophy.

With what we've missed on and what we're down to, our options are VERY limited, we need him to be as competitive as we want/expect to be.

That loss is buried sooooo deep in my mind, it doesn't feel real. The recruiting misses are extremely baffling, but Brown fills an immediate need and gives us a very talented starting lineup.

I'd say yes, when you consider what we need and what we already have. Plus, you can't change what's already happened.

Um no.

If cal didn't choke for the second time with having by far the best team then we'd have 10 titles and duke would have 3. Getting a recruit doesn't make up for that at all.

We dont NEED anyone. We wont be the heavy favorites this year like we were all last year but we will be right in the hunt with our current roster. Adding Brown doesnt put our name on the trophy.
We do NEED more players!

There's a reason that it's devastating when a school gets hit with scholarship reductions as punishment for violations.

It's ridiculous that we impose sanctions on ourselves by fielding a team with 10 players.

I realize that we just had 7 players declare for the draft but this couldn't have blindsided Cal because it damn sure didn't come as a surprise to me.

No, but it sure as hell would get May off to a good start. This April was unbearable. I think I'm going to sleep until midnight just to get this godawful month behind us.

We do NEED more players!

There's a reason that it's devastating when a school gets hit with scholarship reductions as punishment for violations.

It's ridiculous that we impose sanctions on ourselves by fielding a team with 10 players.

I realize that we just had 7 players declare for the draft but this couldn't have blindsided Cal because it damn sure didn't come as a surprise to me.
Nah,we are just spoiled fans if we want a balanced roster,a real 3 and a backup at the 5

Reactions: stenchymouse
Um no.

If cal didn't choke for the second time with having by far the best team then we'd have 10 titles and duke would have 3. Getting a recruit doesn't make up for that at all.

UK did not "by far" have the best team in either 2010 or 2015. KU was very talented in 2010, as was Syracuse before their guy got booted. Wisconsin and Duke were both very very very good this past year, there was no "by far the best" either year. Just because in your delusional head you feel that way does not make it true. Hell, UK was not even the #1 overall seed in 2010 so spare me that nonsense.

Nothing will take away the sting from losing to Wisconsin. But I would take Brown over any of the guys we've missed on in a heartbeat. That would give us three guys in the top 10 another in the top 50 and what seems to be a very solid Juco transfer. Recruiting-wise, all would be forgotten for me.

April 2015 has obviously stunk but do you feel that snagging Brown would redeem this hellish month?
Only on the recruiting front.

Taking a good look at our possible lineup, here's my view FWIW:
1 - Ullis is a stud and will be considerably better next year as the lead guard. Will be a double/double threat in many games.
2 - Briscoe is a combo 1/2 and coupled with Ullis, could be the best backcourt in the nation. Very quick duo with tremendous vision. Will make everyone better unlike the twins. Sorry.
3 - With Brown, this team is #1 in the nation. More athletic than the past season. Brown gives us the explosive power wing that we haven't seen since... Ever?
4 - Poythress - If close to 100%, a Brown/Poy combo at the 3/4 is going to have a field day on lobs and dunks coming from our two quick guards.
5 - Labissiere - #1 ranked center for a reason. Might be even better than KAT.

Subs
Marcus Lee - An experienced 4/5 that can make us forget about missing on Diallo with some added strength and improvement in his offensive game. Could be a great garbage man player that hangs around the basket and gets dunks, rebounds, blocks.

Matthews - possible sleeper recruit - let's see if he can shoot with any consistency.

Brown is the guy I've wanted from the beginning - absolute stud game changer much like Carmello was for Syracuse.

We were surprisingly beat in the FF, while still a great (banner worthy) season, was very disappointing to not finish the climb. Our top seven players declare for the draft. Duke wins ANOTHER title when we clearly had the best team in the field after a cakewalk to the finals.
Zimmerman to UNLV, Newman to MissSt, Diallo to KU.

Thats a pretty awful month of april. If i hear he is committing today I automatically assume he is not coming to Kentucky. If we get through today I like our chances.

True.

I voted NO. At this point, Brown (and yes, of course, I want him) would provide a little salve for my Big Blue wounds...

but I already used the Great Recruiting Class rationale (combined with the Ohhh-Yeahhh-Some-Guys-Are-Coming-Back!!! factor) to get past last year's loss in the Finals to the Cons.

That point of view won't work two years in a row.

Recruiting=yes. Tournament=no

Recruiting hasnt been as bad as it feels. We've missed on some guys but in reality all we need is one more scoring wing. Murray or Brown and our class Is complete. I personally don't think we need another big. I like Poy getting to play the 4(assuming healthy), Skal, and then Lee finally getting to play. Willis can get spot minutes in cases of foul trouble.

Last edited:
Yeah didn't mean to imply that one recruit could heal the loss to wisc. I don't think anyone would feel that way. I have updated the title to be more clear.

Nothing can ever fix what happened in the Final Four. It was just... no words.

Kentucky landing Brown (or Murray) would change our awful downward spiral of momentum, as well as fix what our team lacks next season and have us contending at the top once again. Would make up for the insane recruits going elsewhere.

Sure. It's unrealistic to think you can win all of them, but I sure do like the one we would have...Brown, Skal, Briscoe, Mathews, and Mulder. Would this not be the top class?

The only thing that could redeem April is taking the championship next year or traveling back in time to the Wisconsin game to the point where we are up four and this time executing down the stretch. With that said May would be looking a whole lot better if he commits to UK

ADVERTISEMENT