ADVERTISEMENT

I thought Wynward was graduating this year

They graduate in December in New Zealand, and he will come to UK for the second semester. He might or might not play this year. If he doesn't, he'll redshirt to get a head start for 2016-17.

They graduate in December in New Zealand, and he will come to UK for the second semester. He might or might not play this year. If he doesn't, he'll redshirt to get a head start for 2016-17.
I think joining in December is important to provide more fouls and some bulk. We only have one true center (SL) and both SL and ML or thin. We need big bodies.

Reactions: brianpoe
Wynward could be a very nice addition for us in December.

From what I'm hearing, he's worked hard on his athleticism and all-around game in recent months, and has really trimmed down and become more versatile.

Excited about what he's going to bring.

Rivals lists him in the 2016 class.

They use a different school calendar in New Zealand. School years ends in December, which is when Tai gets his degree.

He's classified as 2016 because he was expected to start his college hoops career the same time as kids in that class, but the possibility exists that he could start in the middle of this season by enrolling second semester--and I hope he does.

He is really the most difficult to assess on exactly what he can contribute or not. Certainly, Cal would not have offered if he wasn't impressed. But, it also adds to an International following for the program; something Cal specifically had been excited about and spoke of when he thought Kanter was going to get to play.

Like others have said, I can't see how another big body can't hurt even if just for practice.

I like the idea of Wynyard coming in December. I honestly doubt he redshirts and may see spot minutes if we are in foul trouble and some victory cigar minutes. I just really like that him being here would provide injury insurance.

I don't expect him to play a ton as Lee , Skal and Poy might be the best 3some in college next year but he will play at some point in some game and make a difference . as a soph though i expect him to be beastly .

7Wjw7XZ.gif

I know what he meant & the gif is still appropriate.

Skal's gonna be the best big man in all of college. And Poy should be a monster playing the 4. Then Lee should be a beast off the bench and score 6-8pts off lobs and offensive rebounds, then he'll be awesome on D. I think they can easily make the best frontcourt in the nation, Who's better?

Skal's gonna be the best big man in all of college. And Poy should be a monster playing the 4. Then Lee should be a beast off the bench and score 6-8pts off lobs and offensive rebounds, then he'll be awesome on D. I think they can easily make the best frontcourt in the nation, Who's better?

You sure love making hyperbolic posts. Yeeeesh, Poy a "monster". Lee a "beast". " Easily" best front court.

Don't overrate the front court. We' ve seen Poy's disappearance acts + Lee has had 1 impactful game in his 2 yr career. Relax over there.

You sure love making hyperbolic posts. Yeeeesh, Poy a "monster". Lee a "beast". " Easily" best front court.

Don't overrate the front court. We' ve seen Poy's disappearance acts + Lee has had 1 impactful game in his 2 yr career. Relax over there.

Well I mean tell me who's better? And yeah I'm assuming Poythress will have a great season. A lot of people are. He was a beast in the Bahamas playing the 4. And yeah I believe Lee will have a much bigger impact. He's not offensively skilled but he can still have a big time impact on defense, shot blocking, rebounding, and like I said, scoring off lobs and offensive rebounds. You actually seem to underrate our team and players quite often. Do you even think Skal will be the best big man in the country. Because most of us know he will be lol.

Well I mean tell me who's better? And yeah I'm assuming Poythress will have a great season. A lot of people are. He was a beast in the Bahamas playing the 4. And yeah I believe Lee will have a much bigger impact. He's not offensively skilled but he can still have a big time impact on defense, shot blocking, rebounding, and like I said, scoring off lobs and offensive rebounds. You actually seem to underrate our team and players quite often. Do you even think Skal will be the best big man in the country. Because most of us know he will be lol.

On paper right now? Gonzaga & North Carolina are two i'd say. Purdue is sneaky good down there. Kansas is deep down low.

I'm not calling our front court a weakness. Skal is an awesome prospect & displayed elite skills at the Hoop Summit. But theres no certainty in Poythress play + i'm not gonna automatically assume big improvements with Lee after he's been disappointing for the majority of his court time.

Take off those blue tinted glasses sometime man.

Exactly. Jeez, might wanna ease up on all the monster/beast talk, people. Poythress is likely to be rusty coming off a season lost to injury, and he only averaged about 5 ppg his last full healthy season. And Lee has been a career bench guy with very limited skills averaging only a meager 2.5 ppg for his career. Neither of those guys have been monstrous or beastly thus far in their career.

I think you are selling Lee a little short there. He had 17 pts in his first game at UK. He's been in double figures 2 other times as well. He's had 2 games with 8 rebounds, and 11 games with 5 rebs or more. Nothing great I will grant you, but I think he's got potential. Just hasn't had a lot of opportunities. If he can't produce this year though, then I'd say he's a bust.

I think you are selling Lee a little short there. He had 17 pts in his first game at UK. He's been in double figures 2 other times as well. He's had 2 games with 8 rebounds, and 11 games with 5 rebs or more. Nothing great I will grant you, but I think he's got potential. Just hasn't had a lot of opportunities. If he can't produce this year though, then I'd say he's a bust.

By impactful, i mean vs. a good opponent. Like, that that 1st game performance came against some doormat. His other "decent" performances are likely against doormats as well.

He has good tools, so I'm not gonna write him off. But i'm not blaming lack of minutes for his quiet 2 yrs, he just hasn't looked impressive in the minutes he;s been feed to force Cal's hand.

Does the second semester eligibility wise begin the day after the first semester ends or the second semester begins? I want him to be eligible for the UL game in December.

This season seems to be riding on 3 things.
1. A guy being great after a serious injury
2. Skal=Davis
3. Murray=Jordan

Color me optimistic, but not too optimistic. I just don't want to see a meltdown on this board like this years team.

On paper right now? Gonzaga .

So you like Gonzaga, with a mere one draft projection of Sabonis at #22 over UK's frontline of projected #1 overall, #30, and #57? Defense constitutes part of what makes a good frontline, and Sabonis/Wiltjer/Karnowski averaged a whopping 2.0 blocks/game combined. That's atrocious by any standards.

You spent the better part of last season using Andrew Harrison's lack of pro talent as a reason to refute his overall ability; but suddenly you've positioned guys like Wiltjer and Karnowski - who aren't currently projected to be drafted - as more substantive examples of evidence for a more dominating frontline over one that features the projected overall #1 pick and two second round picks?

Last edited:
So you like Gonzaga, with a mere one draft projection of Sabonis at #22 over UK's frontline of projected #1 overall, #30, and #57? Defense constitutes part of what makes a good frontline, and Sabonis/Wiltjer/Karnowski averaged a whopping 2.0 blocks/game combined. That's atrocious by any standards.

You spent the better part of last season using Andrew Harrison's lack of pro talent as a reason to refute his overall ability; but suddenly you've positioned guys like Wiltjer and Karnowski - who aren't currently projected to be drafted - as more substantive examples of evidence for a more dominating frontline over one that features the projected overall #1 pick and two second round picks?

The Zag bigs have proven offensive production.

While Witjer is a non-prospect, the guy at least put up legit numbers last season for Gonzaga…while Andrew was busy whiffing everything at the rim.

Sabonis >>Poy + Lee.

Karnowski in CBB>>Lee.

Last edited:

While Witjer is a non-prospect, the guy at least put up legit numbers last season for Gonzaga…while Andrew was busy whiffing everything at the rim.

Sabonis >>Poy + Lee.

Karnowski in CBB>>Lee.

Skal >> Sabonis+Karnowski

Sabonis >>Poy + Lee.

Karnowski in CBB>>Lee.

Put Andrew Harrison in that dog**** conference and he'd put up "legit" numbers as well. What a stupid argument.

I don't expect him to play a ton as Lee , Skal and Poy might be the best 3some in college next year but he will play at some point in some game and make a difference . as a soph though i expect him to be beastly .

Damn Cane, first you say that Ulis, Briscoe and Murray are the best guards in the last 35 years and now these guys are the best 3some in college.

Good thing you don't go overboard on recruiting projections too...

Reactions: 5iveStarRecruit
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT