ADVERTISEMENT

I think teams are nuts if they pass on Aaron

EvilMD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2003
Do you realize how rare it is to find an athlete who not only wants to take "that shot", but can make it? How many players have won three straight games in the NCAA tournament on last minute shots (beating a four seed and two two seeds), and two of those shots were in the last 10 seconds? Not only did he hit the three to put us ahead of Louisville, he hit the two game-clinching free throws. He also hit that huge shot against Notre Dame this year.

I'd be surprised if he makes the NBA for any length of time. Doesn't shoot well consistently and not that athletic. There are a lot of 6-6 guys out there like that. A whole lot. I hope he proves me wrong.

He's a 6'6" shooting guard that is not an elite athlete and is just ok at everything else. Dime a dozen, not with wasting a draft pick on.

Reactions: madison1329
Undrafted and probably head over seas eventually.

Nba front offices could give a rats ass about hitting a few shots in the ncaa tournament.

The problem he has is that his skill set isn't good enough that he will be in at crunch time of NBA games.

His best bet is to reform himself into a lockdown defender, and sharpen up his corner 3 ball. He could play a decade in the league if he gets it right - or he could be playing in Italy next winter.

Reactions: DY9ASTY
I agree, him and Andrew are incredibly underrated. They might not be super athletic but they are above average in every aspect of the game and have very strong, sturdy bodies. I think a lot of people are going to be shocked when they are successful in the NBA for a long time.

Neither of the Harrison brothers are fast or quick, and neither will ever be confused for elite athletes. With that having been said, neither was Chris Mullin, and he's in the hall of fame.

If they swallow their egos, put in the work each day and make the necessary changes, nothing is impossible.

Reactions: Kybluedude
Chris Mullen shot 55% from the field in college--an all-time elite shooter.

Every collage basketball player dreams of going to the NBA. Most will never come close. From what I have read about the twins in bad body language. I am not sure what to make of this really. lack of confidence? Low self esteem ? IMO they are good players ,I think their heads got a little swelled coming out of high school . And they settled for just being players and not stepping up and pushing themselves to their max potential.
Maybe the platoon system did not set well with them. Maybe one day they will speak up and really let us fans know. I am no expert just my thoughts..

Every collage basketball player dreams of going to the NBA. Most will never come close. From what I have read about the twins in bad body language. I am not sure what to make of this really. lack of confidence? Low self esteem ? IMO they are good players ,I think their heads got a little swelled coming out of high school . And they settled for just being players and not stepping up and pushing themselves to their max potential.
Maybe the platoon system did not set well with them. Maybe one day they will speak up and really let us fans know. I am no expert just my thoughts..

Pretty bad take. If you don't think the twins pushed themselves, then you must not have noticed their physical transformations between their 1st and 2nd seasons.

How do you think they got in that kind of shape? Standing around pouting? Eating tacos and playing XBox?

You need that guy on your team who isn't afraid of the pressure that comes with taking that shot. One of our best players ever, Jamal Mashburn, wanted no part of that shot. Some call it a clutch gene. Whatever it is, Aaron has it and if you at least don't take a chance on him in the second round you aren't paying attention.

It is more than the weight room . It is pushing your self to be the best that you can be. Some people settle in to a routine and are content where there are at. And not pushing yourself to your max potential .
Like I said just my thoughts. They did not fall out of the top 20 projected draft picks to the the second round or maybe not at all for no reason.. Again just my thoughts.

Do you realize how rare it is to find an athlete who not only wants to take "that shot", but can make it? How many players have won three straight games in the NCAA tournament on last minute shots (beating a four seed and two two seeds), and two of those shots were in the last 10 seconds? Not only did he hit the three to put us ahead of Louisville, he hit the two game-clinching free throws. He also hit that huge shot against Notre Dame this year.

Well, dang, with all this why isn't he the #1 pick in the draft??

Gotta be honest. If I'm an NBA gm I'd give Andrew a good look but not Aaron. He's a volume scorer who doesn't shoot well and he's only slightly above average athletically. He made some huge shots but a lot of guys have done that. Nobody drafted Cameron Mills because of the 3 he hit against Duke in 98.

I love the guy and I appreciate what he contributed to our program but his skill set just isn't at a level where he'll contribute in the NBA unless he unexpectedly improves.

It is more than the weight room . It is pushing your self to be the best that you can be. Some people settle in to a routine and are content where there are at. And not pushing yourself to your max potential .
Like I said just my thoughts. They did not fall out of the top 20 projected draft picks to the the second round or maybe not at all for no reason.. Again just my thoughts.

Well, my thoughts are that you have no clue what you're talking about. Sorry, but I'm a little tired of twin bashing after 2 solid years of it.

Those 2 kids never fell out of any top 20. Just because some internet gurus projected them top 20 coming out of HS doesn't mean they had obtained some mythical position to fall from.

They played 80 games and showed that they weren't quite as talented/athletic as some thought they might be. But they worked hard, played hard, and helped their team accomplish some great things.

And even though Aaron struggled with his jumper last season, they both improved as players. I'm not sure what more fans like you can ask for.

The twins were decent not elite college players. IMO they will never be top NBA players. I wouldn't take either in the first round and doubt I would take Aaron in the second round. If I even wanted to give Aaron a chance I would hope to get him as a free agent.

IMO both of the twins will struggle big time defending NBA guards. and neither is a great scorer.

Gotta be honest. If I'm an NBA gm I'd give Andrew a good look but not Aaron. He's a volume scorer who doesn't shoot well and he's only slightly above average athletically. He made some huge shots but a lot of guys have done that. Nobody drafted Cameron Mills because of the 3 he hit against Duke in 98.

I love the guy and I appreciate what he contributed to our program but his skill set just isn't at a level where he'll contribute in the NBA unless he unexpectedly improves.

Have to agree. I'm an Aaron fan and just a fan of any UK player and would love to see him succeed on the next level. But, lots of players have hit big shots and can be considered clutch players and still not be NBA material. I'm afraid I go along with others saying he is lacking in many areas and there are many other players to choose from who would/should be considered better uses of a draft pick. Like others, I hope I'm way wrong and Aaron proves me so but I just don't see him as an NBA guy, at least not at this point.

Genuine thanks to both of them for their contribution as well as having to put up with so much criticism.....Thanks to Andrew for his leadership and great improvement year over year

And of course, thanks to Aaron for being the dragon-slayer time after time

And thanks to both for helping us make 2 Final Fours in a row

And we will never forget the rallying cry of both: "Keep calm, the twins are coming".....Something we all desperately needed to hear at the end of an NIT year

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Aaron will likely be drafted in the 2nd round, but I don't think we see him on a roster past summer league play.

I could see Andrew milking a 3 to 5 year NBA stint.

aaron is a good dude and I wish him well. He won't make it in the NBA, and probably won't be drafted. I wold have stayed at UK and continued to build my resume and work on a good degree. Guys like Aaron would make tremendous coaches one day.

This is my problem with sending so many guys out. A good fraction of them have no business going, but because they play here, they think it's some kind of right whether you need to or not. It's easy to get a college degree being an athlete. It's much much harder doing it as a regular student. And Aaron will be back in a college classroom one day. He doesn't have the speed or skills to play at that level.

I hope Caneintally finds me in a few when Aaron is one of the premier 2 guards in the league. :)

"A lot of guys" don't hit shots like Aaron did for us. That's just silly. Mills hit one, and was that even in the final minute? It takes "hangers", as Alex said, to not just take that shot but want that shot.

Do I take Aaron in the lottery? No. But I sure as hell take my chances with him in the late first or second round over someone like JP Tokoto or any of the 10 Euros that will be drafted.

Yeah, NBA teams will be making a huge mistake not drafting a SHOOTING guard that is a terrible shooter and not very athletic. Love the kid but that's just the truth. The homerism with some knows no bounds.

Reactions: *Bleedingblue*
"A lot of guys" don't hit shots like Aaron did for us. That's just silly. Mills hit one, and was that even in the final minute? It takes "hangers", as Alex said, to not just take that shot but want that shot.

Do I take Aaron in the lottery? No. But I sure as hell take my chances with him in the late first or second round over someone like JP Tokoto or any of the 10 Euros that will be drafted.

You don't draft a player because he hit 3 big shots 1 year ago, not when his game is lacking and he's not a very attractive prospect, especially not in the 1st rd. That is ridiculous. He needed to be a great shooter to have a chance but unfortunately he is anything but that. To make matters worse, he hasn't shown the ability to create for himself either.

Tokoto is an athletic freak of nature/great defender. And most teams draft euros in the 2nd so they can stash them overseas in hopes that they develop in a few years, if not it's no big loss, while some are drafted with zero intention of ever bringing them over to the NBA.

Last edited:
lol. Aaron isn't very good at all. He's cals worst 2 guard at uk. Just bc they are twins, they got overrated in their package. Hate to say it, Jeff goodman was right all along.

Aaron can't create his own shot. And he isn't a very good spot up shooter.
He might make a roster. But not much else

lol. Aaron isn't very good at all. He's cals worst 2 guard at uk. Just bc they are twins, they got overrated in their package. Hate to say it, Jeff goodman was right all along.

Aaron can't create his own shot. And he isn't a very good spot up shooter.
He might make a roster. But not much else

Single-handedly carried the 2014 UK team to the championship game. Not good at all... Okay. Little overrated coming out of high school? Sure. More than likely lacking the skills to ever see serious minutes in the NBA? Sure.

But to act like a player who was a key cog to two Final Four teams in two seasons was some kind of bum is just ridiculous. At the very least you have to admit that while not being much of a pro-prospect, the guy was a good college player.

Funny how much one game can make a difference in hindsight, isn't it? If UK beats UConn in 2014, and Aaron leaves college after one season, he'd be looked at as a god by people in the state of Kentucky for decades to come after the post-season run he'd had.

I agree, him and Andrew are incredibly underrated. They might not be super athletic but they are above average in every aspect of the game and have very strong, sturdy bodies. I think a lot of people are going to be shocked when they are successful in the NBA for a long time.
I agree with you. Andrew will excel with excel with the pro game and aaron will shine also but it may take him a little longer at the beginning. All either one does is win games and that is what its all about.

His best bet is to become a defensive stopper type. Develop that and become a more consistent shooter and he can have a career. I don't think he gets drafted, but I wouldn't be surprised if he goes near the end. Of course, these teams these days like to draft foreign players at the back end of the draft because they can stash them overseas for a year or two while they develop. 5 of the final 10 spots were taken by foreign players last year. The previous two years it was 10 of the final 20 picks.

Single-handedly carried the 2014 UK team to the championship game. Not good at all... Okay. Little overrated coming out of high school? Sure. More than likely lacking the skills to ever see serious minutes in the NBA? Sure.

But to act like a player who was a key cog to two Final Four teams in two seasons was some kind of bum is just ridiculous. At the very least you have to admit that while not being much of a pro-prospect, the guy was a good college player.
Literally not one word in my post was incorrect. Do try to keep up.

Where did I say he was a bum? He was a average college player who hit some big shots. That's it. Good luck to him.

Reactions: madison1329

Patrick Sparks says hello. He also wants to know if your gonna draft him top 10 and pay him millions.

I think Aaron could be a good NBA player one day but his game still needs a lot of work. He should've come back to college. Wish him luck though. I hope he tears it up.

One of our best players ever, Jamal Mashburn, wanted no part of that shot.

Are you nuts? Mashburn afraid to take a big shot? Nothing could be farther from the truth. The Harrisons are gone, time to move on. I sometimes wonder if some of you are UK fans or Harrison fans. Ask Chris Weber if Mashburn was afraid to take the big shot.

So how would you use him? He's not as quick, as good a shooter, or as athletic as anyone else on the team so you only put him in to make big shots in the playoffs?

He absolutely was a good college player. So was Jeff Sheppard. So was Wayne Turner. So was Patrick Sparks. I absolutely love all of those guys. But none of them made great pros because they just didn't have the tools. Aaron will probably make a roster but if he gets drafted it will be late second round. If he ends up being a solid pro there will be none happier than me but I just don't see it.

He is not a good shooter. Clutch at times? Yes, 100%. Good shooter? No. If he can't hit college 3's at a good clip, won't in the NBA most likely.

Some of you act as if the clutch gene is of zero significance. How many NBA games come down to the last minute? How many playoff games come down to the last minute? Patrick Sparks had it but Patrick Sparks is what, four inches shorter than Aaron?

I never said he should go in the lottery. I'm just saying if you are a lottery team and you draft a stud in the first round and Aaron's sitting there early 2nd...take him. You've improved your team immensely. If you are, say, Cleveland or Chicago or even San Antonio and he's there late in the first, take him. He'll win two to five games for you at the end. What more do you want from a pick that late?

If any of these other players had their weaknesses exposed to the point that Aaron's were from the spotlight here, you'd be saying the same things about them.

If you were a NBA GM or coach, what position would you draft Aaron to play?

Based on everything I've seen or read, I'll be STUNNED if Aaron is drafted

ADVERTISEMENT