ADVERTISEMENT

I still have faith in Stoops

screwduke

Junior
Mar 23, 2015
There's still no doubt he can and will turn this around.

I know some people were uneasy after we lost 6 in a row last year and all the decommitts we just had, but my faith in him hasn't waivered one bit. This is the best coaching staff we've had in years.

Go stoops and go cats!

Definitely agree.

Like I said before, if I slipped into a coma right before last season; then woke up after the UL game and seen we went 5-7, I would be happy. I expected no more then 3 wins with the O-line we had, plus other numerous issues.

5-7 was a stepping stone to a bowl game this year.

The recruiting was disappointing, but that was more due to us targeting bigger recruits and not having a good fall back plan. The elite schools can always fall back on good talent when they don't get the very top guys. UK can't do that.

It's a process it really is. It takes 2 years for your body to fully get acclimated, and grow into itself especially as a developing young man. Our o line is finally deep enough where they can push each other ( good vs good ) ... And injury won't deplete us. Our defense is very athletic compared to last year. We have some play makers on offense. I think this is the year we come knocking on the door of the east. You neve know what injuries u might get but...I know stoops has a plan and all the pedigree to win here at UK & he will..

Shannon Dawson will be and is an upgrade to Neil brown. Neil was a great teacher and laid a great foundation really all coach Shannon has to do is so a tune up and keep guys motivated and learn your players so u can get them to play for you... That's the unique thing about coaching u gotta get all to buy in... I saw a lot more of that type of concistency during this spring

I am all in with Stoops! There has been a BIG upgrade in talent on the team imo but boy it's gonna be tough to win in the SEC. Year after year the schedule in conference is murderous!!

Reactions: WhiteCityCat1
I agree with the OP but I would change the title to I still have faith in Stoops.

I still think he should name his starting qb now so that summer can be spent getting reps with receivers as the number one guy.

Reactions: AbsoluteCats
I really expected 5/6 wins last year and will be on record looking at the schedule next year as saying we should have no less than 7 wins...and honestly it should be an 8/9 win season EASY. We have 8 home games Vandy on the road and return most everyone. If you can not improve on the 5 wins last year its time to look a different direction.

Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns W Mid-Major should be an easy win
at South Carolina Gamecocks L USCjr lost a lot but still we suck on the road
Florida Gators W new coach struggling team a MUST win for progress after last year in the swamp
Missouri Tigers W lost a lot another MUST win at home for progress

Eastern Kentucky Colonels W CURB STOMP THEM
Oct. 10 --- Open Date --- ---

Auburn Tigers W Tough game but AU lost a lot last year they should still be growing...great chance for a program changing win on Thursday after a bye
at Mississippi State Bulldogs L again we suck on the road
Tennessee Volunteers W If we are heading in the right direction time to show it
at Georgia Bulldogs L enough said
at Vanderbilt Commodores W Vandy suck sin general more than we suck on the road
Charlotte 49ers W BYE week before UL win big rest up and end positive
Louisville Cardinals W Time to put bobby neck brace in traction....UL can really struggle next year be great ending there season here.

If we truly are heading in the right direction and upgrading talent and depth....results like this should be expected with this schedule.

I still think he should name his starting qb now so that summer can be spent getting reps with receivers as the number one guy.

I'm surprised that hasn't happened. I thought Stoops was ready to name someone (I assumed Towles) sometime after spring practice wrapped up.

If our schedule was flipped, people would be talking about us similarly to what they are saying about Tennessee.

I think he's on the right track. There's no doubt that he is a very good evaluator of talent. Now we're getting depth at all positions. I like the way he has been more upbeat than ever, especially after the last spring practice.... and I think Dawson is going to be fun to watch call plays..... The vibe I am getting from Stoops after spring makes me really excited to see what happens this fall.

Felt when Stoops was hired it would take him 5 years to get the program back into reasonable shape. Joker had done that much damage to the program. At that time, I really did not think he would recruit at the level he has been able to. Adding Marrow initially seemed like a head scratcher, but has turned out Vince alone has elevated the rebuilding by at least 3 years due to his level of recruiting in OH.

That said, I predicted 5 wins last season. Most who follow the program closely knew the Oline was going to be a big problem, QB was a mystery since Pat had not played much, WR was too young, and several other holes in the roster. Everyone says KY should have beat FL, etc. They had the game won but Pat also had about 5 INT's dropped by FL. So, as football games go, there were several ways KY could have lost 2-3 more game or won 2-3 more games.

The same can happen this season and it is about time positive things start coming KY's way on the field. I believe 6 wins is very attainable and frankly anything less is a big disappointment. Stoops may win 9+ the year after, but simply from a recruiting standpoint another losing season is going to be a killer on the recruiting trail and a portion of the fan base will start questioning the direction Stoops is taking the program.

6 wins minimum and potentially 9 games max. If you are KY, there are no excuses with the schedule. There is only 1 road game they probably have zero chance winning and that is at UGA. Miss St and SC are both very beatable on the road due to roster changes, KY usually competes well with those teams, etc. KY needs to find a way to win at least 1 road game excluding Vandy. After that, you have 8 home games. I see 2 teams coming to CWS that I am not sure KY can beat (UT and Auburn). Auburn is the 1 mystery game since it is on a Thursday night. First time ever at CWS, night game, crowd is going to be crazy, and maybe Auburn comes in a little confused playing away on a Thursday night. I believe they almost lost to Kansas State this past season or the season before on a Thursday night. The rest of the Home Schedule is very beatable and there is not a better time for KY to not only beat FL, but beat them in a big way.

I really expected 5/6 wins last year and will be on record looking at the schedule next year as saying we should have no less than 7 wins...and honestly it should be an 8/9 win season EASY. We have 8 home games Vandy on the road and return most everyone. If you can not improve on the 5 wins last year its time to look a different direction.

Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns W Mid-Major should be an easy win
at South Carolina Gamecocks L USCjr lost a lot but still we suck on the road
Florida Gators W new coach struggling team a MUST win for progress after last year in the swamp
Missouri Tigers W lost a lot another MUST win at home for progress

Eastern Kentucky Colonels W CURB STOMP THEM
Oct. 10 --- Open Date --- ---

Auburn Tigers W Tough game but AU lost a lot last year they should still be growing...great chance for a program changing win on Thursday after a bye
at Mississippi State Bulldogs L again we suck on the road
Tennessee Volunteers W If we are heading in the right direction time to show it
at Georgia Bulldogs L enough said
at Vanderbilt Commodores W Vandy suck sin general more than we suck on the road
Charlotte 49ers W BYE week before UL win big rest up and end positive
Louisville Cardinals W Time to put bobby neck brace in traction....UL can really struggle next year be great ending there season here.

If we truly are heading in the right direction and upgrading talent and depth....results like this should be expected with this schedule.

With all due respect, to EVER say 8-9 wins is "EASY" in the SEC is ludicrous. I see 3 "guaranteed" wins on that schedule (LA Laf, EKU, Charlotte) - although LA Lafayette went 9-4 last year, 7-1 in conf. The rest are games we play every year (lose the ones we expect to lose and maybe get an unexpected win, win the ones we should) and to expect the kind of turnaround you do is just a recipe for disappointment. Sure, I'd LOVE to see 8-9 wins, but I see another 5-7 win season (the 3 I mentioned, plus TN, Vandy - maybe UL or USC), but I'm hoping for the high end of that range.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
You've gotta admit that after the Phillips calimity , that we have nowhere to go but up . I've seen nothing but positives from Coach Stoops , since he stared bring in the talent that we need tocompete in the SEC.

Notice I found the font color button ?:) and the emoticons.

With all due respect, to EVER say 8-9 wins is "EASY" in the SEC is ludicrous. I see 3 "guaranteed" wins on that schedule (LA Laf, EKU, Charlotte) - although LA Lafayette went 9-4 last year, 7-1 in conf. The rest are games we play every year (lose the ones we expect to lose and maybe get an unexpected win, win the ones we should) and to expect the kind of turnaround you do is just a recipe for disappointment. Sure, I'd LOVE to see 8-9 wins, but I see another 5-7 win season (the 3 I mentioned, plus TN, Vandy - maybe UL or USC), but I'm hoping for the high end of that range.

With all due respect....but if you are seeing/ok with a 5 win season when we return most everyone returning and 8 home games...you are part of the problem not solution. We should EXPECT improvement every year. IE. Player/Coach growth and development.

Hell you included UT as a maybe win and they curb stomped us last year and return everyone. But Fla and Mizzou that we competed with and for Fla should have beaten on the road are losses?

I have never lost faith in Stoops. IMO, Stoops is the first real football coach UK has had in my lifetime (born in 81)(too young to remember Claiborne). Stoops and his staff are recruiting at a level that UK just has never been able to achieve. I agree with Freddie Maggard when he said that he thinks the 15 class we just signed is the best one of the Stoops era. I watched several of those guys films and it's a head scratcher how some of those guys aren't high 4 stars. The future for UK football has NEVER been brighter long term and we as long suffering fans are about to see some of the fruits of Stoops' and his staff's labors. Pack you bags fellow BBN. We're about to go bowling this year.

Reactions: CrustyCat
I have never lost faith in Stoops. IMO, Stoops is the first real football coach UK has had in my lifetime (born in 81)(too young to remember Claiborne). Stoops and his staff are recruiting at a level that UK just has never been able to achieve. I agree with Freddie Maggard when he said that he thinks the 15 class we just signed is the best one of the Stoops era. I watched several of those guys films and it's a head scratcher how some of those guys aren't high 4 stars. The future for UK football has NEVER been brighter long term and we as long suffering fans are about to see some of the fruits of Stoops' and his staff's labors. Pack you bags fellow BBN. We're about to go bowling this year.

Good post and totally agree. Stoops will take us places we haven't been to in decades IMO. It won't happen overnight but it will happen.

I believe 6 wins is very attainable and frankly anything less is a big disappointment. Stoops may win 9+ the year after, but simply from a recruiting standpoint another losing season is going to be a killer on the recruiting trail and a portion of the fan base will start questioning the direction Stoops is taking the program.

6 wins minimum and potentially 9 games max. If you are KY, there are no excuses with the schedule. There is only 1 road game they probably have zero chance winning and that is at UGA. Miss St and SC are both very beatable on the road due to roster changes, KY usually competes well with those teams, etc. KY needs to find a way to win at least 1 road game excluding Vandy. After that, you have 8 home games. I see 2 teams coming to CWS that I am not sure KY can beat (UT and Auburn). Auburn is the 1 mystery game since it is on a Thursday night. First time ever at CWS, night game, crowd is going to be crazy, and maybe Auburn comes in a little confused playing away on a Thursday night. I believe they almost lost to Kansas State this past season or the season before on a Thursday night. The rest of the Home Schedule is very beatable and there is not a better time for KY to not only beat FL, but beat them in a big way.

Good analysis both of the upcoming season and the Stoops regime so far, pretty much the way I see it as well.

We REALLY need to be 3-2 after five games, then need to beat UL, Vandy and Charlotte. But anyway we get to 7 with a chance to go 8-5 with a bowl win, I will be very happy

With all due respect....but if you are seeing/ok with a 5 win season when we return most everyone returning and 8 home games...you are part of the problem not solution. We should EXPECT improvement every year. IE. Player/Coach growth and development.

Hell you included UT as a maybe win and they curb stomped us last year and return everyone. But Fla and Mizzou that we competed with and for Fla should have beaten on the road are losses?
UT had one of the top recruiting classes in the nation too. They will be hard to beat regardless of how much we have improved.

Reactions: AbsoluteCats
i think i read somewhere that we will return almost everyone on offense from '15 to '16. qb's, check, rb's, check, te's and wr's lose cunningham who has not contributed much, o-line, lose west and swindle. thats only 3 guys in the 2 deep gone. if we can get 6 or 7 wins this year and win the bowl game.... we are gonna actually have some hype going into '16.

to suggest that there is a reason to not be "all in" with stoops is really weird to me. wait til after this season before you judge him. he's finally got talent, depth, and experience on this team. there may have been a few coaches out there that could of got 1 or 2 more wins the last couple years than stoops did but those guys are already spoken for.

I get the feeling that Stoops really respected Neal, but that they were not in the same genre of coaches. Dawson seems to be the kind of coach Stoops can relate with. That is just a gut feeling from hearing them talk about each other, listening to them talk about football, and seeing some of the footage from spring practice. I did not see Stoops and Brown gel as I expect we will see with Dawson.

Looks weird when I see that opinion in print, but it is just a feeling I have.

As for being "all in," I am all in to this point and with the information we have. Stoops has done everything I could have dreamed of, besides winning more. I just believe the program was really in a bad spot with Joker was fired. I think Barnhart realized that and decided three years was enough for his friend. Had the cupboard been more full, I think Barnhart might have given Joker 4 years.

I never lost faith in Stoops. We started out great but it was no secret that depth was still an issue. That back stretch, really took a toll on us. I don't think we should've went 0-6 to end it but we started out with some tough SEC games and had ZERO bye weeks during SEC play. I think that really got into our head. We could've beaten MSU, and despite the score, we were just as good as UT. The UT game is one that really showed that we were due for a much needed re charge. We were literally sleepwalking in Knoxville. That following week, we got a bye and were tit for tat with Louisville.

I think that we are capable of winning every game. On paper, Auburn and Georgia are the two that most would say "No Chance" but those games are not 90's Florida and Tennessee where you say NO CHANCE. Georgia has always been a Jekyl and Hyde team. I don't expect us to win but as with every year, if the Bulldogs lose a game or two early and fall out of contention, they have been prone to pack it in.

Auburn lost some players but still will be one of the best in the nation. That being said, we have recently had "That Magic Night" each season. This year, Auburn, Florida, Louisville, or Tennessee could all have that big game feel. Auburn should beat us and I certainly wouldn't say we are a favorite but it just has that kind of feel. New Commonwealth Stadium, likely top 5-10 Auburn, first Thursday night home game, Prime Time ESPN. That has the making for a big time atmosphere.

Louisville will be down and I expect us to win that game in all honesty. You can't ever underestimate Petrino but I have a feeling, Stoops will really want this one.

Florida, is another game that I am starting to expect to win. It's early in the season, they are supposed to be horrible, will be breaking in a new staff, we have them at home, and were oh so close to ending the streak last year. Many times, we have been in this situation with Tennessee and failed during their streak, but at least there is hope. Also, Stoops has brought a new mindset.

Tennessee is no doubt much improved. They kicked our ass last year but I don't put much stock in that because of what I stated above. We were simply running on fumes. I will forever say that Tennessee should be our season ender. It's traditionally our biggest rival, and has been the last game for over 100 years until last season. That's another post in itself though. This game has potential to be a huge atmosphere just like Auburn. We desperately need to try everything to make this a night game. The Breeders cup will be in town, Halloween night, rival game, likely a blackout, and Stoops' chance to gain some momentum against an upstart UT program.

I can see us winning any of these four games individually but I know that's pretty unrealistic. There is a chance we go 3-1 but I really expect 2-2 out of these 4. Add in the 3 non conference so called cupcakes, and Vandy, that will get us to 6 wins. Mizzou, South Carolina, and a very beatable Miss State could be road wins that could propel us to a 7-8-or dare I say 9 win season. My guess is 7-5.

Wins
Louisiana
ekEwww
Charlotte
Vandy
Louisville
Auburn (May as well pick an upset game...could very well be UT instead)
Miss State

South Carolina or Mizzou could be #8.
Florida we SHOULD beat but I'll still pick them even though I have a good feeling. They could be #8 if we lose at Mizzou or SC.

I'm with you on the Tennessee being a regular season game tradition, but if moving the date around helps us shake off the bad mojo and whip their arse more regularly then I am all for that.

Stoops will be ahead of schedule,if he can win 6 games this year,without redshirt jrs.and srs. on the off/def lines. SEC is tough on less than mature lineman,a grown mans game! Stoops is definitely on the right track and his plan Will work like we all want!

Reactions: Levibooty
Stoops will be ahead of schedule,if he can win 6 games this year,without redshirt jrs.and srs. on the off/def lines. SEC is tough on less than mature lineman,a grown mans game! Stoops is definitely on the right track and his plan Will work like we all want!

Very true.

ADVERTISEMENT