ADVERTISEMENT

I like wiltjer and wish him luck, but

He has confidence in his own guys nothing wrong with that. And, that Sabonis kid is going to be a star in the league one day. I expect him to bust out this season.

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
I would say that Few has a good argument, did you see those guys play last year, they were pretty dang good. With last year's experience playing together going for them they should be better yet. As a team, it will then depend on Gonzaga has the right guys in the backcourt to be a contender this season. I see nothing wrong with his statement and his backing of his own players.

I would agree that Gonzaga is in the discussion for best front court in the nation. I'd say easily top 5.
They might even be top 3. In a weak West region Gonzaga has a shot at the Final Four if they don't bring a couple of top teams in.

Nothing wrong with a coach making that statement.

And, fwiw, it's not far off from the truth, Zaga's frontcourt is very formidable, and the best member of that trio is probably the one who didn't start last year--Sabonis--that kid is a flat out stud with far more future upside than either Wiltjer or Karnowski. Don't be surprised if Sabonis has a huge break out season this year.

Those Big 3 coming back will be a talented front court, but Zags lost their whole back court. 4 guards gone, they have a transfer and a 4 star recruit coming in. They will be tough in the paint but if can keep them in check superior guard play should prevail if UK plays them.

Good. Now, watch them flame out early like every. Single. Year.
They lost in the Elite 8 to Duke the eventual champ. Not exactly what I would call flaming out.

Gonzaga is going to be really good this year. Karnowski and Sabonis are both really good. Wiltjer is a great player in the WCC, but gets exposed outside of the league. He just isn't tough enough. But the other two would be top frontcourt players in any league.

Their backcourt may take a while to gel. They are adding Eric McClellan (Vandy) and Jordan Perkins (redshirt/injury). But they have pieces to be really good this year.

They lost in the Elite 8 to Duke the eventual champ. Not exactly what I would call flaming out.

Gonzaga is going to be really good this year. Karnowski and Sabonis are both really good. Wiltjer is a great player in the WCC, but gets exposed outside of the league. He just isn't tough enough. But the other two would be top frontcourt players in any league.

Their backcourt may take a while to gel. They are adding Eric McClellan (Vandy) and Jordan Perkins (redshirt/injury). But they have pieces to be really good this year.

And what about before last year? My point is correct.

And what about before last year? My point is correct.
Yes. You are absolutely correct. If we exclude the years when Gonzaga plays up to their seeding, then they do flame out. Every. Single. Year.

Yeah don't worry about the zags. They could go 38-0 like us but lose to a team like Leigh that made a George mason run to the final 4. I don't know why but it seems west coast basketball is not on the same level as east coast. Unless you consider Kansas west coast, the last time a west coast team won it all, was well you already know 1997.

If we're going by the years that Few has been there, that would be 2000, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, and 2015.
There you go @SosaUK

Although I would argue that in 2006 they played under their seed. Otherwise that is spot-on.

There you go @SosaUK

Although I would argue that in 2006 they played under their seed. Otherwise that is spot-on.

I would have to research but every year, it seems, they are hyped up to do something in the tourney and they get bounced. I could be wrong, if so, I apologize.

I would have to research but every year, it seems, they are hyped up to do something in the tourney and they get bounced. I could be wrong, if so, I apologize.

That is certainly their reputation, but it is probably underserved. Now if you had said "most times when Gonzaga is a high seed they don't play up to that seed" then you would have been on to something. When they make a run, it's more likely that they will do when they're seeded 7th or worse.

That is certainly their reputation, but it is probably underserved. Now if you had said "most times when Gonzaga is a high seed they don't play up to that seed" then you would have been on to something. When they make a run, it's more likely that they will do when they're seeded 7th or worse.
Gonzaga had two pretty huge flameouts in 2013 and 2004. People generally assume that these results are typical.

I guess that's what I meant but worded it wrong. Thanks for looking everything up.

Gonzaga had two pretty huge flameouts in 2013 and 2004. People generally assume that these results are typical.

Touché. My apologies.

Which years do/did they play to their seeding?

Well, let's see--there's 2015, 2014, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2007, 2006, etc.

This claim that gets perpetuated on here about Gonzaga supposedly being tourney chokers is largely a myth. In reality, they've only had two years in the last decade where they did not play up to their seed in the tourney (2013 when they were upset by Wichita State and 2008 when they were upset by Steph Curry's Davidson team). The vast majority of years Gonzaga does exactly as well as it's expected to do in the tourney.

But, hey, why let the actual facts get in the way of a claim we wanna make.. Except for all those majority of the years when they don't flame out, they flame out "every single year", right?

This claim that gets perpetuated on here about Gonzaga supposedly being tourney chokers is largely a myth. In reality, they've only had two years in the last decade where they did not play up to their seed in the tourney (2013 when they were upset by Wichita State and 2008 when they were upset by Steph Curry's Davidson team). The vast majority of years Gonzaga does exactly as well as it's expected to do in the tourney.

But, hey, why let the actual facts get in the way of a claim we wanna make.. Except for all those majority of the years when they don't flame out, they flame out "every single year", right?

a66fab1df51f5f30c8c01552b44dc0ca.jpg

Reactions: Mike-D
My only question is this; as a kentucky fan in the cal era would you be content with those results?

Did you miss the rest of the thread big guy? Or did you stop at my post? Simmer down.

Gonzaga is always a very good offensive team but their defense has been porous for years. Its like Few really doesn't work on that as much.

So whats wrong with Few having confidence in his front court? Sabonis is poised to be a stud next season and could end up being a lottery pick, and if Wiltjer and Karnowski can play as good as they did last season then the Zags should be tough again.

That will be a very skilled skilled frontcourt. Wiltjer may not be a solid post banger but he definitely has a role cut out for him there. I'd still take Skal, Poythress, and Lee though.

Oh how the worm has turned. Right before March, every Big Blue fan on here was licking their chops wanting Gonzaga as UK's 2 seed. Screaming about how overrated their front court is, how weak their competition is, how we would crush them.

Now they have a formidable frontcourt, be a Final Four contender, how they don't flame out when hit with big expectations. You can tell it's summer that's for sure. Gonzaga will be decent, win a bunch of games (schedule is a joke), probably get a decent seed but get beaten by just a better quality team. They are mid level for a reason. That Elite 8 run was nice last year but it isn't like they ran through a gauntlet of teams to get there. The best team before Duke was UCLA. Gonzaga is a tier 2 team. I don't ever see a Final Four in their future.

Yeah don't worry about the zags. They could go 38-0 like us but lose to a team like Leigh that made a George mason run to the final 4. I don't know why but it seems west coast basketball is not on the same level as east coast. Unless you consider Kansas west coast, the last time a west coast team won it all, was well you already know 1997.
Absolutely. Worst coast basketball is a definitive step down from east coast or midwest basketball.

Was Wiltjer hurt during the Pan Am Games? He was on the bench but I do not recall seeing him in the games. If he was healthy it had to piss him off having to watch another UK player on the floor while he sits.

So whats wrong with Few having confidence in his front court? Sabonis is poised to be a stud next season and could end up being a lottery pick, and if Wiltjer and Karnowski can play as good as they did last season then the Zags should be tough again.
the quote was "the best frontcourt in the nation"...different from having confidence.
I just think that is a lofty statement and puts a lot of pressure on them and him.
IMO better coach speak would be something like, they are great, could be one of the best, I expect them to do_______,
But, don't anoint them the BEST

the quote was "the best frontcourt in the nation"...different from having confidence.
I just think that is a lofty statement and puts a lot of pressure on them and him.
IMO better coach speak would be something like, they are great, could be one of the best, I expect them to do_______,
But, don't anoint them the BEST

They may not end up being the best, but they certainly could have the most proven at this point and I'm guessing those three may put up as much production as any front court in the nation as well, especially as much as Gonzaga will have to rely on them. I don't know if I would trade ours for theirs (especially with Cal's style of play), but I would certainly entertain trading Lee for Sabonis.

Again, I don't think they will necessarily be the best, but I also don't think it's terribly outlandish for Few to say, especially if you are basing it solely on production. What I do think is that this thread is a bit of a veiled way to throw barbs at Wiltjer, who some still blame for the failures of the NIT year.

Kyle barely got time during pan am games. He can't play with the big boys. He wasn't injured either

They may not end up being the best, but they certainly could have the most proven at this point and I'm guessing those three may put up as much production as any front court in the nation as well, especially as much as Gonzaga will have to rely on them. I don't know if I would trade ours for theirs (especially with Cal's style of play), but I would certainly entertain trading Lee for Sabonis.

Again, I don't think they will necessarily be the best, but I also don't think it's terribly outlandish for Few to say, especially if you are basing it solely on production. What I do think is that this thread is a bit of a veiled way to throw barbs at Wiltjer, who some still blame for the failures of the NIT year.

nope, no way...I started it. I thought the statement was Pitino type talk and major hyperbole. No problems with Kyle at all. Seems like a super nice person.

Lol, I just gotta give credit where it's due. I see kentucky sir is back still pushing for James young to be the blue mamba lol. I applaud your efforts sir and hope the trend catches on.

ADVERTISEMENT