ADVERTISEMENT

I like Reeves as a leader

I like Reeves as a third scoring option. If he’s our first option, we’re in trouble.

I see Reeves taking and making shots. I don’t know about a “leader”, but he is very important to this team’s success. Sheppard looks more like a leader to me based on how many things he does well and how he gets the offense started when he plays point.

Reactions: susan2361
I'm sure he's a leader by example but I honestly am not sure if I've seen him speak once yet.

I think Reeves will be huge to begin the year but ideally he takes a back seat once our youngsters get 15+ games in.

Reactions: Philstat
I'm sure he's a leader by example but I honestly am not sure if I've seen him speak once yet.

I think Reeves will be huge to begin the year but ideally he takes a back seat once our youngsters get 15+ games in.
Why?

He is our best shooter and bucket getter where we stand right now so he honestly shouldn't take a "back seat" to anyone. The idea of someone taking a back seat is silly if the point is to win basketball games everyone should be doing all they can at any point in time to get open, hit the open man, or hit the open shot.

He is our best shooter and bucket getter where we stand right now so he honestly shouldn't take a "back seat" to anyone. The idea of someone taking a back seat is silly if the point is to win basketball games everyone should be doing all they can at any point in time to get open, hit the open man, or hit the open shot.

You missed the point completely.

You missed the point completely.
Maybe explain it another way? I just see Reeves as the perfect guy to be getting the open shot at the end of plays because he knocks them down and he also has the ability to create shots for himself at a pretty good clip. Taking a backseat isnt congruent with those two things in my mind.

Maybe explain it another way? I just see Reeves as the perfect guy to be getting the open shot at the end of plays because he knocks them down and he also has the ability to create shots for himself at a pretty good clip. Taking a backseat isnt congruent with those two things in my mind.

Depending on which Mock Draft you look at I'll use CBS for example... UK has two guys mocked in the top 10 and two additional guys in the 11-20 range

If the above is true it's only natural that Reeves loses touches to the more superior talent on the team. If he's dominating the ball into SEC play I'd be very concerned that our players aren't living up to their potential.

This has nothing to do with Reeves not being a bucket getter... I just think if UK is going to make a final 4 run that Reeves cannot be your best player. He's also extremely streaky as we saw last year.

Ideally he averages 15 PPG but on higher effiecienty and not the volume shooter he was last year.

No other options for pay, and not being eligible for immediate transfer, is what convinced him to come back and play. He's a scorer not a leader.
He never entered the transfer portal, and considered all of his options.

Leaders make informed decisions, then commit.

He came back, seems to have assimilated with the team and has improved his game. And his team mates seem to like and respond to him.

The assessment of leadership may be best left to those who he is leading…not random grumps on chat boards…

Reactions: University-6

I doubt he takes a back seat. He’s our best shooter

Depending on which Mock Draft you look at I'll use CBS for example... UK has two guys mocked in the top 10 and two additional guys in the 11-20 range

If the above is true it's only natural that Reeves loses touches to the more superior talent on the team. If he's dominating the ball into SEC play I'd be very concerned that our players aren't living up to their potential.

This has nothing to do with Reeves not being a bucket getter... I just think if UK is going to make a final 4 run that Reeves cannot be your best player. He's also extremely streaky as we saw last year.

Ideally he averages 15 PPG but on higher effiecienty and not the volume shooter he was last year.
Ok I understand what you are saying buy allow me to point out some things you may not be considering

More superior talent doesn't neccesarly mean they are better at putting the ball in the hoop at this point in time. It just means they are projected to have a higher ceiling in terms of overall game and the other skills they offer. Talent is isn't a one to one correlation with scoring ability.

I would think a teams best shooter/scorer losing touches would be more of a detriment to that teams success. Antonio has never really had to dominate the ball in order to get his points he just gets open and hits shots. I do agree with you that he isn't our most talented player because other guys take Bradshaw for instance are considered to be more talented due to the wide range of skills at his disposal such as shot blocking and rebounding. At the same time I think you would agree that Bradshaw isn't the guy we would want taking a bulk of the shots.

There are many examples of a teams best scorer not being the teams best player but I think you conflate those two things as being synonomous with one another.

There are many examples of a teams best scorer not being the teams best player but I think you conflate those two things as being synonomous with one another

Not exactly you could have pointed to Anthony Davis and MKG as prime examples.

If Reeves is dominating the SEC like he has the Global Jam then UK is going to be really really good. The young guys just need the experience for those games when he does go cold.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT