ADVERTISEMENT

I like Hoak a lot.

DaBossIsBack

Junior
Jun 28, 2013
He reminds me of some those Tech QBs under Leach. Just has a really good feel for the offense. He cuts it loose and throws for green grass.

I know I will be cheering him through every throw and hoping he becomes great with us!

I hope he becomes a great one, but in all likelyhood, we may never see him on the field if things play out the way they should. Good luck to the kid.

With his background stats, it looks like he throws an accurate ball plus he must make wise decisions since he only had 3 interceptions, that is revealing to how good he could be.

Play out the way they should?

I think he is implying that when UK starts to win some games, recruiting is going to pick up......yielding to higher profile QB recruits. In essence, Hoak may get recruited over.

Frankly, I don't have a problem with Hoak's current lower "star rtg or offer sheet." I think it's safe to say that Towles/Barker/Phillips will remain higher on the depth chart over the next several yrs.....giving time for Hoak to develop and mature. And for us to recruit more QB's as well.

From what I have heard, he was one of the better QBs in Ohio. We could see his recruiting blow up and him get bumped to a 4*. I think we have a great find here. I like the comparisons to the Tech QBs. He seems to understand where to go with the ball and throw it to allow his WRs to make plays. More of a cerebral QB with a good arm.

My thought is best case for him is he redshirts his FR year. Then he can be second string for Barker for two years getting game experience throughout both seasons. Then become the starter his JR year with 3 years in the offense. Gives us JR or SR starting QBs for the next 6 seasons.

Reactions: bluescat92
From what I saw he made quick decisions and looked very accurate with his throws.

I think he is implying that when UK starts to win some games, recruiting is going to pick up......yielding to higher profile QB recruits. In essence, Hoak may get recruited over.

Frankly, I don't have a problem with Hoak's current lower "star rtg or offer sheet." I think it's safe to say that Towles/Barker/Phillips will remain higher on the depth chart over the next several yrs.....giving time for Hoak to develop and mature. And for us to recruit more QB's as well.
I got ya. I still think the kid will compete for the starter position in a couple years regardless. I think Dawson likes him because he is a perfect fit for this offense.

He reminds me of some those Tech QBs under Leach. Just has a really good feel for the offense. He cuts it loose and throws for green grass.
Hoak has size, arm strength, and football IQ. His high school coach has experience with future college quarterbacks and likes Hoak's upside. When Hoak is a redshirt freshman in 2017, Towles will be gone and Barker will be a junior. That's good timing for him.

Reactions: wyldecat
If I'm not mistaken, Shannon Dawson is his primary recruiter as well. Typically when your QB coach/offensive coordinator who has coaches many very, very good QB's over the years, is the primary recruiter for a QB, that's good news.

Part of size is mass. At 190 lb, he doesn't have it. Hopefully he can put it on. Most can, but some can't.

As long as the kid doesn't lose his speed in the process. Runs a 4.60.

If I'm not mistaken, Shannon Dawson is his primary recruiter as well. Typically when your QB coach/offensive coordinator who has coaches many very, very good QB's over the years, is the primary recruiter for a QB, that's good news.
Clint Trickett was 180 lbs.

Clint Trickett was 180 lbs.

Clint Trickett also wasn't known for his blazing speed. Just being an intelligent QB who could throw a football, which makes this kid an appealing prospect. Let Dawson work his magic.

Clint Trickett also wasn't known for his blazing speed. Just being an intelligent QB who could throw a football, which makes this kid an appealing prospect. Let Dawson work his magic.
Sorry. I quoted the wrong dude. Meant to quote the guy concerned with his weight.

Sorry. I quoted the wrong dude. Meant to quote the guy concerned with his weight.

It's all good. I'll add in, before any of the people of higher intellect here say "Well, Trickett was obviously too small, he stayed hurt all the time"; no amount of muscle or weight will prevent concussions.

Primary recruiter was Morrow. I'm sure Dawson pitched in. What has surprised me to date is Dawson's been pretty quiet on the recruiting front. Maybe that's by design for whatever reason.

Primary recruiter was Morrow. I'm sure Dawson pitched in. What has surprised me to date is Dawson's been pretty quiet on the recruiting front. Maybe that's by design for whatever reason.

My understanding is Marrow had him identified as early as last year by his contacts in Ohio. But Dawson closed the deal. There is no way we get any QB unless they are all in with the OC.

Dawson also was the guy who brought us Shiem King who I think it's going to be a good one.

King was recruited at West Virginia by new UK offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson. He took official visits to Wake Forest and Washington State last month.

http://ukrecruiting.bloginky.com/2015/02/03/three-star-running-back-commits-to-kentucky/

no amount of muscle or weight will prevent concussions.
Could you explain why? Seems to me, greater ability to resist a force would result in less violent motion inside the skull & more body muscle ought to help do that.

Regardless, more muscle can reduce injury of many kinds besides concussions. If not, why would coaches care if their QB weighed 190 or 240?

Could you explain why? Seems to me, greater ability to resist a force would result in less violent motion inside the skull & more body muscle ought to help do that.

Regardless, more muscle can reduce injury of many kinds besides concussions. If not, why would coaches care if their QB weighed 190 or 240?

In general more muscle won't help with a concussion with one exception, neck strength. I have a PT tell me this a couple of years ago and I also found an article on the issue:

While not as publicized as other NFL anti-concussion measures, there is scientific research that shows a muscular neck likely defuses the potentially damaging forces sometimes generated when a player is hit in the head. The larger the “cylinder,” the better the chance that the neck will serve as a shock-absorber to lessen stress placed on the skull.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...rength-clinic-puts-focus-on-prevention-070313

In general more muscle won't help with a concussion with one exception, neck strength. I have a PT tell me this a couple of years ago and I also found an article on the issue:

While not as publicized as other NFL anti-concussion measures, there is scientific research that shows a muscular neck likely defuses the potentially damaging forces sometimes generated when a player is hit in the head. The larger the “cylinder,” the better the chance that the neck will serve as a shock-absorber to lessen stress placed on the skull.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...rength-clinic-puts-focus-on-prevention-070313
So we agree. More muscle in the neck, i.e., more mass, reduces concussions. Thanks. And that discussion says nothing about any other injury potential.

I'm not sure how a strong neck equates to gaining 40 pounds more mass (which a lot of people here are probably aiming for in terms of a QB's weight), so no, "more muscle in the neck, i.e., more mass" isn't exactly true. He could go from 180 to 185, have a strong neck, and would be as durable in that regard as somebody who weighs 220, and doesn't have as strong of a neck.
Anyway, not the point being made. There have been many, many QB's of smaller stature that have been incredibly successful.

Reactions: DaBossIsBack
When he showed up on campus for his visit he was closer to 6'4" 205 lbs he's going to be fine. He put up better stats than Deweaver in the same division. His efficiency was significantly better

Reactions: hmt5000
When he showed up on campus for his visit he was closer to 6'4" 205 lbs he's going to be fine. He put up better stats than Deweaver in the same division. His efficiency was significantly better[/QUOTE

But but will it be the same as having the Messiah playing for our team. Will he be able to perform the miracles that one would expect of the Messiah?:confused:

ADVERTISEMENT