ADVERTISEMENT

i have stupid question that i should know

Players report on 8/6, Fan Day is 8/8. Then it's down to business after that. LA-Lafayette is a much tougher opener than we probably need. If we're not ready for them, we're going to be in big trouble.

Less than a month to practice....seems short...i have heard all summer about how tuff this opener is....funny how UL fans play Auburn and are confident they are gonna win and we worry about LA Lafayette??? Hmmmm

Less than a month to practice....seems short...i have heard all summer about how tuff this opener is....funny how UL fans play Auburn and are confident they are gonna win and we worry about LA Lafayette??? Hmmmm
They were confident against Georgia last year. Look what happened.

funny how UL fans play Auburn and are confident they are gonna win and we worry about LA Lafayette??? Hmmmm

Just the seemingly overarching mentality of a lot of the fan base. Been through hard times and have seen some blunders...and are smart enough to recognize a quality team regardless of conference or a hyphenated name. We know we need to be ready for this one. And we will be.

Well the first game is always kind of scary anyway, and LA-Lafayette is 36-16 under Mark Hudspeth. Hudspeth is 102-37 all-time as a head coach. I'm surprised he hasn't moved up from there yet. They have won a bowl game (New Orleans Bowl every time) in four of the last five years. So they know how to win, and expect to win. They are clearly a better program than WKU, and that is no disrespect to the Hilltoppers. I would have preferred to play EKU first, and then LA-Lafayette. I don't think the spread on that game will be more than about UK by 14-17, if that.

This team is ranked #90 in Phil Steele's power poll. Historically they have been able to put up points, but have never been able to stop good offenses. Last year when they played quality OOC opponents they were crushed pretty badly.

If we can't beat this team we might as well close the book on the season, especially considering we have plenty of time to prepare for this game, and since it's the opener there are no "let down" or "sandwich" situations to worry about that usually set up an upset for a team like this.

Reactions: jnewc2
Well the first game is always kind of scary anyway, and LA-Lafayette is 36-16 under Mark Hudspeth. Hudspeth is 102-37 all-time as a head coach. I'm surprised he hasn't moved up from there yet. They have won a bowl game (New Orleans Bowl every time) in four of the last five years. So they know how to win, and expect to win. They are clearly a better program than WKU, and that is no disrespect to the Hilltoppers. I would have preferred to play EKU first, and then LA-Lafayette. I don't think the spread on that game will be more than about UK by 14-17, if that.
Everyone acknowledges Hudspeth's coaching skills and ULL's past record. It looks to me like ULL is more 1-dimensional this year than in 2013 or 2014. Granted, Elijah McGuire is a great player, but I don't think the Cajuns can stay in this game unless McGuire plays out of his mind. And they have to stop us too. Their Sun Belt secondary will be in over their heads in this game. This game will be a shootout, but we have SEC depth. I disagree with you on the order of scheduling. If you stop ULL's running game this year, you stop their offense. Having a full month of practice for Stoops to scheme his defense means we should be ready for McGuire. A challenging opener should help us against South Carolina on the road in week #2.

This team is ranked #90 in Phil Steele's power poll. Historically they have been able to put up points, but have never been able to stop good offenses. Last year when they played quality OOC opponents they were crushed pretty badly.

If we can't beat this team we might as well close the book on the season, especially considering we have plenty of time to prepare for this game, and since it's the opener there are no "let down" or "sandwich" situations to worry about that usually set up an upset for a team like this.

Exactly. They lost to Louisiana tech by 4 touchdowns last year.

Reactions: jnewc2
If we can't beat Louisiana-Lafayette by a significant margin (I don't care if it's the best team in the history of their program) then we don't deserve to be in the SEC..I'm sorry..that's as nicely as I can put it. If we can't beat that team by a significant margin how in the world do you expect to beat South Carolina, Florida or Vanderbilt? Come on..we heard this EXACT same argument with Louisiana-Monroe last year..Coach Stoops would be embarrassed if this was anything but a complete blowout with the talent discrepancy between these two teams and the fact that we're playing on our home field..come on..don't poison the fanbase with these low expectations

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT