ADVERTISEMENT

I hate watching when we have a 'comfortable' lead

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Hardly even try to score when Stoops feels like the game is under control. I get it. We're up 3 TDs and they're playing the 3rd string QB. Don't do anything stupid. But, to basically not try is stupid, also (as they complete a long pass).

We'll most likely hang on, but this game is not completely out of reach. Certainly they could come back and make it uncomfortable. But, by all means, let's not score any more points.

The last series, MSU had everyone on the LOS and we tried to run it 3 times. A quick pop pass to a TE or WR in that situation is pretty darn safe and a pretty darn guaranteed to go for 20+ yards if executed. But, 3 straight plays that had no chance is glorified taking a knee, imo.

If Sheron has to play next week, does any fan believe he's any where ready to run even 50% of the offense? A game like this is where he should be in the shotgun running the plays he's been practicing all year. But, no. Let's hand off into. 9-man line multiple times and punt.

If Sheron has to play next week, does any fan believe he's any where ready to run even 50% of the offense? A game like this is where he should be in the shotgun running the plays he's been practicing all year. But, no. Let's hand off into. 9-man line multiple times and punt.
It's why Stoops should not have gotten a pass for losing to USCe last year just because we had to play the backup QB. He does nothing to get them live reps so that is on him. Dumb philosophy.

Hardly even try to score when Stoops feels like the game is under control. I get it. We're up 3 TDs and they're playing the 3rd string QB. Don't do anything stupid. But, to basically not try is stupid, also (as they complete a long pass).

We'll most likely hang on, but this game is not completely out of reach. Certainly they could come back and make it uncomfortable. But, by all means, let's not score any more points.
Stoops and Cal are two peas in a pod.

Wait, why would Sheron play next week?

To be fair, this game was always out of reach. Miss st could not have scored on a high school team. That was the most putrid attempt at offensive football I’d ever seen. They couldn’t throw, they couldn’t catch, they couldn’t block. It was horrible. Probably the only game I’ve watched all year where I felt 100 percent comfortable that Kentucky had the win.

Reactions: STL_Cat
To be fair, this game was always out of reach. Miss st could not have scored on a high school team. That was the most putrid attempt at offensive football I’d ever seen. They couldn’t throw, they couldn’t catch, they couldn’t block. It was horrible. Probably the only game I’ve watched all year where I felt 100 percent comfortable that Kentucky had the win.
Rock, I'm sure you've been around a while and know there's almost no such thing as UK being out of reach. I've witnessed some miraculous comebacks against UK in the 50+ years I've been a fan.

I agree that MSU wasn't going to score 3 times in 8 minutes. But, I was fully expecting them to score at least once so I couldn't relax until the final horn.

When we have teams down, we take our foot off the gas and settle for winning. If we'd put 14 on the board in the 3rd qtr, Sharon could have run the entire offense without any worries as to outcomes.

Reactions: seccats04
Rock, I'm sure you've been around a while and know there's almost no such thing as UK being out of reach. I've witnessed some miraculous comebacks against UK in the 50+ years I've been a fan.

I agree that MSU wasn't going to score 3 times in 8 minutes. But, I was fully expecting them to score at least once so I couldn't relax until the final horn.

When we have teams down, we take our foot off the gas and settle for winning. If we'd put 14 on the board in the 3rd qtr, Sharon could have run the entire offense without any worries as to outcomes.
I’ve been around a while yes. I know the history of our program all too well. But this was as close as I’ve felt to feeling sorry for an opposing team in quite some time. Miss st may not score 3 times in 8 weeks. At one point they looked to have first and goal at the 1 and ended up turning over on downs on around the 30. They are dead in the water without will rogers and the pirate. I get frustrated when the O bogs down too. But today I didn’t sweat it. Game was over. No need to put anything else on film for bama.

Reactions: The-Hack
I’ve been around a while yes. I know the history of our program all too well. But this was as close as I’ve felt to feeling sorry for an opposing team in quite some time. Miss st may not score 3 times in 8 weeks. At one point they looked to have first and goal at the 1 and ended up turning over on downs on around the 30. They are dead in the water without will rogers and the pirate. I get frustrated when the O bogs down too. But today I didn’t sweat it. Game was over. No need to put anything else on film for bama.
We just played game 9, your last sentence is truly baffling to me.

Reactions: BigBlue1992

It’s impossible to watch. Tom Hart said at the 5:53 mark, “Kentucky can just run out the clock” we punted it back to them at 4:42. I get it, in this day and age it’s not easy to develop a backup quarterback. They will most likely leave thru the portal. And Sheron looks like he could be a decent quarterback, he’s just held back because Stoops has that control freak thing of his going on all game.

I agree. I turned it off with about 7:30 left. Was unlikely we would lose at that point and I knew we’d not try to score.

Wait, why would Sheron play next week?
Might want to go back and watch the play Leary got hurt on. Pretty sure he hit his head pretty hard lick.

Blurred vision in one eye immediately following that hit has concussion written all over it to me, but I am no doctor.

Stoops and Coen seemed pretty shaken up talking about his vision problem in the postgame, to me.

^^^ THIS ^^^^
There is no such thing as a 'comfortable' lead with a Stoops coached team. Being up 14 or 17 or even 20, opposing teams and players don't feel like they're out of a game, that's a manageable number. There's belief they can come back from that and still have a chance to win. But get up 30 or 35 and other teams start thinking about the following week. You take their will to win away. I think's that's most people's beef with Stoops is WHEN he chooses to call off the dogs and play conservatively, it's almost always too soon, for my taste anyway. Having said that, it was good to win in Starkville last night.

Reactions: gamecockcat
Agree Miss St was like watching every team UofL plays in the ACC

Then you will love watching next week. KY will be down big and will do the same thing only trying not to lose by fifty.

To be fair, this game was always out of reach. Miss st could not have scored on a high school team. That was the most putrid attempt at offensive football I’d ever seen. They couldn’t throw, they couldn’t catch, they couldn’t block. It was horrible.

You obviously have not watched much Iowa Hawkeyes football the last few years. 🤣

You obviously have not watched much Iowa Hawkeyes football the last few years. 🤣
You are not wrong there. OMG! If I was an Iowa fan I would find a new sport to root for. I looked at the box score with about 12mins to go in that game. At that point Iowa was up 7-0 and there were 252 total yards of offense between both teams. Putrid! I mean, I want to find their box scores now for the opposite reason you'd think. I get a kick out of just how terrible their offense is.

• Haha
Reactions: Tskware
Stoops starts each game with a tight sphincter that gets even tighter if we happen to get ahead by 2 scores!

Yeah in hindsight that line was a gift.

You are not wrong there. OMG! If I was an Iowa fan I would find a new sport to root for. I looked at the box score with about 12mins to go in that game. At that point Iowa was up 7-0 and there were 252 total yards of offense between both teams. Putrid! I mean, I want to find their box scores now for the opposite reason you'd think. I get a kick out of just how terrible their offense is.
According to the paper this AM, Iowa's TD "drive" was set up by a blocked punt where Iowa got the ball at the NW 25 yard line or so. Just unbelievable that Iowa could have a 7-2 record with that kind of offense.

Reactions: IFerg1969
I told my girlfriend that I'd rather get punched in the throat than listen to Leach call another drive from the 50 fizzling out. I don't think it was Stoops stall ball. Rather, just funky offense and inability to deal with the blitz. Whatever it was, it wasn't enjoyable.

Glad we got the win, but DAMN.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT