ADVERTISEMENT

I had my cat put to sleep...

ram1955

Senior
Nov 26, 2014
I always thought real men were not "cat" people. Last summer, a stray insisted on befriending me. He just kept coming up to me when I sat on my deck. He was very persistent which....I admired. So....I began feeding him. To make a long story short, he and I became buddies. Eventually, he became a house cat. A few weeks ago, he started having problems eliminating. Took him to one vet who said he was constipated as the result of an injury. He kept getting worse so I took him to another vet who said he had some sort of cancer and was in pain; said he might live a week or six weeks. We went ahead and put him to sleep.

I'm heartbroken; feeling like I've lost a friend. I miss my little buddy. It ain't supposed to be this way.

ram

A 3rd opinion may have been helpful. I think the cat would agree with me.

I always thought real men were not "cat" people. Last summer, a stray insisted on befriending me. He just kept coming up to me when I sat on my deck. He was very persistent which....I admired. So....I began feeding him. To make a long story short, he and I became buddies. Eventually, he became a house cat. A few weeks ago, he started having problems eliminating. Took him to one vet who said he was constipated as the result of an injury. He kept getting worse so I took him to another vet who said he had some sort of cancer and was in pain; said he might live a week or six weeks. We went ahead and put him to sleep.

I'm heartbroken; feeling like I've lost a friend. I miss my little buddy. It ain't supposed to be this way.

ram

Extremely sorry for your loss. But it does take a lot of guts admitting you're either:

A. Not a real man
B. You're single, never had a girlfriend

Or

C. You're dating a bat-shit, crazy woman.

But I've had to put dogs down, like a real man, and it's one of the toughest things to do in life. My condolences go out to you, in all seriousness.

I really want to post something, but Jerry scared me with the threat of banning people.....dang it was a good one about him taking
his ......... to another man so he could kill it for him....

On a more serious note, sorry for the loss of your pet.

I really want to post something, but Jerry scared me with the threat of banning people.....dang it was a good one about him taking
his ......... to another man so he could kill it for him....

On a more serious note, sorry for the loss of your pet.
meh go ahead, I'm not banning anyone that my comments weren't directed at, in that thread.

My cat was behaving exactly the same way. I mixed some laxative and a little prune juice with some warm cream and in 24 hours he was good as new.

Last edited:
That's the ultimate price you pay of having a pet, you're going to outlive a lot of your pets through your life.

Unless it's a sea turtle.. That guy's hanging around long after you're dead.

My cat was behaving exactly the same way. I mixed some laxative with some warm cream and in 24 hours he was good as new.

enhanced-buzz-14066-1411582888-14.jpg

I've had nothing but good experiences with cats. Hated them as a kid...because my mom and dad refused to have one. I finally dated a girl with a cat and it totally changed my attitude. I have a Siamese now and I love that cockeyed little bastard.

Hang in there, brotha.

Reactions: brianpoe
I sympathize, brother, and hate it for you.

I had a 15 year old cat put down a few months ago after watching him go from a 15+ pound brute to an 8 or 9 pound shadow of his former self. I hated taking my buddy in and holding him before they took me back to the room to put him to sleep. He found comfort in being held til the end and I hated seeing him look at me and not knowing what I had taken him there to do.

The worst part is that after seeing three vets the only thing I could get out of them is that he may have diabetes and he is just old. The meds for diabetes didnt help at all and the last vet all but told me that he might be able to get him back on his feet temporarily but didnt think it was wise to spend the money it would cost on a cat that had reached his life expectancy.

I still have another but after he is gone then im out of the pet business. It really sucks when its time for them to go.

A dog will lay by it's owner's side for days after it dies in mourning.

A cat will begin eating your corpse within a couple of hours.

I know which companion I prefer.

A dog will lay by it's owner's side for days after it dies in mourning.

A cat will begin eating your corpse within a couple of hours.

I know which companion I prefer.
Clearly its the cat, who would like to lay there, oozing slimy smelly fluids all
over the place, covered with maggots and flies. While your dog lays there licking its balls and butt.

:eek:

Reactions: brianpoe
I always preferred dogs up until about 7 or 8 years ago or so. I was working in a grounds maintenance department for the summer and there were feral cats all over the place down at the shop. We would feed them and nearly all of them act like we were there to kill them all except for this one little kitten. A cute little bugger, he'd come up to you and meow and stuff and you could pet him, it even climbed up my leg one time. I kinda took this little buddy under my wings to get him more "special" food and made him a little makeshift home. He would have made an outstanding pet for someone, and the ones that pick you are always the best, but I couldn't take him home because my dad wouldn't allow it. He unfortunately didn't last more than a few weeks, but I've been a cat person ever since then.

Reactions: Glochid
I'm sorry to hear about your pussy. There are plenty more cats that need good homes. I'm sure you will find another

Very sorry to hear that. I know how painful losing a pet can be. Hang in there, only thing that helps in situations like this is time... just know that you gave your cat a better life than most cats ever have even if it was cut short.

Put my cat down after 17 years couple years ago. That will humble you quickly. I went through the whole process of staying with her as the vet gave her the drugs. Ended up adopting another cat about a year later.

The Black Lab is aging quickly. She's 8 and my wife was starting to talk about leaving her with her parents. I know it's because she can't stomach the thought of putting her down.

Give it time and eventually you can adopt another animal that likely would have a shittier life if not for you.

Our cat got killed in the road and I took it to this Indian burial place behind the house. My neighbor advised against it because the ground was "sour". Magically, my cat Church returned the next day with a new robust energy and appetite. I would tell more but Im about to take my 3 yr old outside to fly a kite next to a road with speeding semi trucks...

JK..If you are being sincere about the loss of a pet then my heart goes out. Its never easy.

ADVERTISEMENT