ADVERTISEMENT

Hypothetically...lets say Ulis stays 4 years

Could he leave here losing fewest games ever by 4 year player at UK??

Maybe but you can bet he will be keeping his eyes on Jones in the NBA and sees how he is doing. I believe Ulis either matched him or outplayed him in an AAU game the summer before he came to KY. Plus it depends on how he does this too.

It should be possible. I think our best four year period would be 12 losses from 48 to 52, but freshmen didn't play back then so there were really no players during that time that got four years in. Wayne Turner's 4 seasons have him at 20 losses, or 5 per year. For Ullis to match that he would have to stay all four seasons ans we would have to average 6.33 losses (or less) each of those seasons. Even that will be tough, but possible. There may already be a four year player with fewer than 20 losses but I'm not sure who it would be.

Scratch that. RC Preston has only 11 losses in his four seasons from 1910 to 1914, including one undefeated season. So we would have to average fewer than 3.33 losses for Ullis to have less in four season. That's going to be nearly impossible.

Jack Tingle and J. Ed. Parker also only lost 11 games from 1943-1947.

And as others have mentioned now, Ralph Beard and Wah Wah Jones have 10 losses from 1945-1949.

Last edited:
He's off to a great start with just 1 L so far. I'm wondering what the record is...probably hard to tell as frosh could not play for so long. Average losses per year for 3 years would still tell the tale though. Im sure several guys from those late 40s/early 50s team lost very little. I just looked, and Ralph Beard lost just 10 in his 4 year career (due to war some 4 year guys in this time period). That will be near impossible to top by Ulis IMO, as Cal has had several "down years" losses wise despite 2 of them resulting in a Final Four season and National Runner up season.

I know Allen Edwards, and Cameron Mills (1994-1995 through 1997-1998) only lost 16 games in 4 years, which is very impressive.

Could he leave here losing fewest games ever by 4 year player at UK??

Ralph Beard and Wah Wah Jones only lost 10 games over 4 years. That will be very hard to beat. What those 2 did over those 4 years is crazy. NIT Champions, NIT Runner-up, 2 time NCAA Champion, Olympic Champions. This is when the NIT was just as big as the NCAA...if not bigger.

Reactions: ArmyWildcat81
Ralph Beard and Wah Wah Jones only lost 10 games over 4 years. That will be very hard to beat. What those 2 did over those 4 years is crazy. NIT Champions, NIT Runner-up, 2 time NCAA Champion, Olympic Champions. This is when the NIT was just as big as the NCAA...if not bigger.

Yep you're right, just read the article about the student manager that was here during that time and he brought it up. Amazing.

least loses would be nearly impossible since they played so many less games back then, i think the more fair stat would be best winning percentage over a 4 year span

Reactions: Orange Soda King
I hope he stays four years so we can find out, it probably depends if he values education over money, but if he keeps playing like he did last year, he might not stay four years, I really don't follow the NBA, is there a lot of 5' 8" point guards in the league, he's gonna be fun to watch either way:popcorn:

least loses would be nearly impossible since they played so many less games back then, i think the more fair stat would be best winning percentage over a 4 year span

Beard and company went 130-10, for an average of 32.5 wins a year to just 2.5 losses. That is a 93% winning percentage. That is still going to be very tough to beat.

Maybe but you can bet he will be keeping his eyes on Jones in the NBA and sees how he is doing. I believe Ulis either matched him or outplayed him in an AAU game the summer before he came to KY. Plus it depends on how he does this too.

Eh, i doubt it. Sure, he did outplay him once, but Tyus had a superior season, won a title + there isn't enough friction or connections between the two for either to continue thinking about each other as time goes on.

Eh, i doubt it. Sure, he did outplay him once, but Tyus had a superior season, won a title + there isn't enough friction or connections between the two for either to continue thinking about each other as time goes on.

I hate that you have to explain every post but the thought was that he played Jones, he did well against him, and if Jones does well in the NBA next year and so does Ulis in college, he might give it a chance going to the NBA. Now where did you get the friction question, huh?

I hate that you have to explain every post but the thought was that he played Jones, he did well against him, and if Jones does well in the NBA next year and so does Ulis in college, he might give it a chance going to the NBA. Now where did you get the friction question, huh?

If Ulis had the same measurements as Tyus, then sure, he might compare himself to him.

But Ulis knows why he'll likely be forced to stay 4 years unless he explodes offensively - He stands at a tall 5"9.

Outplaying someone once shouldn't make you think you're all of a sudden the better player.

If Ulis had the same measurements as Tyus, then sure, he might compare himself to him.

But Ulis knows why he'll likely be forced to stay 4 years unless he explodes offensively - He stands at a tall 5"9.

Outplaying someone once shouldn't make you think you're all of a sudden the better player.

Maybe Ulis might disagree with you.

a better comparison would be Isiah Thomas from UW now with the Celtics
i think Ulis is probably a better 3 point shooter

if he has a very good year.........ya never know

I believe Ulis will be here 3 years. I think he's a 4 year player, but somehow he will find himself leaving in 3. All the two year talk is nonsense.

In fairness, in that game, Tyus Jones had 24 points and 7 assists. Ulis had 22 points and 17 assists.
He didn't just outplay him, the thoroughly displayed superior point guard skills.

Guys we all realize that Ulis is a great talent, but some of you act as if he could've jumped this year, but just chose to stay.

The guy is 5'8" 150lbs. There is no guarantee he's a NBA guy after 4 years. Love the kid and his game, but let's not go over board here.

Ulis has to gain a lot of strength before the NBA will be interested. If he stays all 4 years he'll have a great shot at most games and most wins.

It should be possible. I think our best four year period would be 12 losses from 48 to 52, but freshmen didn't play back then so there were really no players during that time that got four years in. Wayne Turner's 4 seasons have him at 20 losses, or 5 per year. For Ullis to match that he would have to stay all four seasons ans we would have to average 6.33 losses (or less) each of those seasons. Even that will be tough, but possible. There may already be a four year player with fewer than 20 losses but I'm not sure who it would be.

Scratch that. RC Preston has only 11 losses in his four seasons from 1910 to 1914, including one undefeated season. So we would have to average fewer than 3.33 losses for Ullis to have less in four season. That's going to be nearly impossible.

Jack Tingle and J. Ed. Parker also only lost 11 games from 1943-1947.

And as others have mentioned now, Ralph Beard and Wah Wah Jones have 10 losses from 1945-1949.
We played fewer games in a season then so if he stays 4 years in almost sure he'll have the highest winning %.

In fairness, in that game, Tyus Jones had 24 points and 7 assists. Ulis had 22 points and 17 assists.
He didn't just outplay him, the thoroughly displayed superior point guard skills.

Sure but i mean, you don't think Ulis is better than Tyus at this current time, right?

I believe Ulis will be here 3 years. I think he's a 4 year player, but somehow he will find himself leaving in 3. All the two year talk is nonsense.

He's gone after this year, guaranteed.

I can't find the quote but Cal has said he has told Ulis he will not and should not be a four year player.

You can;t find it because i can't remember Cal ever telling Tyler that.

It went more like : When he was recruiting Ulis, he told him if he believes he'a a 4-yr player, don't come here.

Cal was just trying to make him more motivated and to have more belief in his NBA potential. I doubt he meant the quote literally, but wanted him to strive for more.

I see Ulis being a 3-year player. He could be gone after next year but his PG skills aren't the issue. He would really get pushed around in the NBA right now. Just watch the Wisconsin game last year. They took advantage of him big time on switches and when he guarded the ball out high. This wasn't with typical 6'3-6'5 NBA strong guards either.

ADVERTISEMENT