ADVERTISEMENT

How happy are you with Cal's Job?

How do you feel about Cal as coach?

• Total voters
I know some have questioned me for posting this poll. First I want to say I am completely happy with cal, even with his players first philosophy. I even support his statements to the media regarding getting players drafted. I in no way was being unthankful of the job he has done so far. However I feel this thread has shown us all that there is a segment of BBN that is totally out of touch with the reality of CBB today and that was it's purpose (sadly enough).

I am here to say that I would never vote that I wanted Cal gone. You can look back through some of my post history and see that.

My 12 yr old son who also gets on RR voted a 2.

Cal is great for UK and the last 6 years have been fantastic. I hope he never leaves.

And I have taken the Xbox away from my son as punishment.
That's all? He deserves 40 strokes! Jk, lol

It's kind of a loaded question, but there's a good way out of it. If you're a UK fan you are either a 4 or 5. Pretty simple really.

I voted 4, but actually prefer some kind of 4.5 or something.

I can see the 4.5 point of view, but if anybody deserves a rounding up, it's Cal.

The simple truth is that if we lost Cal tomorrow... I can't think of anyone that could really replace him.

THAT... makes him a 5 out of 5.

I hope we don't have to worry about it for a looooooooong time.

Reactions: Sithlyone
I am here to say that I would never vote that I wanted Cal gone. You can look back through some of my post history and see that.

My 12 yr old son who also gets on RR voted a 2.

Cal is great for UK and the last 6 years have been fantastic. I hope he never leaves.

And I have taken the Xbox away from my son as punishment.

you can change your vote

I know some have questioned me for posting this poll. First I want to say I am completely happy with cal, even with his players first philosophy. I even support his statements to the media regarding getting players drafted. I in no way was being unthankful of the job he has done so far. However I feel this thread has shown us all that there is a segment of BBN that is totally out of touch with the reality of CBB today and that was it's purpose (sadly enough).

Your poll shows us that 95%(nearly exactly) of voters fully support Cal as our coach in one way or another. I fail to see how that is "out of touch" with the reality of the situation. It's also quite telling as well because poll questions are the wrong way of doing it.

If you wanted something more fair, just let people rank 1-10 and give their own explanation. Of course that would defy the point, as you've made pretty clear by following up with "BBN out of touch" when in fact nearly every single vote says they wouldn't trade Cal for anyone.

"you will either say the man walks on water, or you won't speak at all" - Rafter pumps.

Last edited:
My standards are really simple. It's not just about winning.

1. Win a lot - regularly win the SEC and be a final four threat more years than not (check, big time)

2. Good kids - recruit and bring up players who don't make the program look bad off the court, and who are generally positive members of the community (another big check)

3. Own behavior - don't treat people like garbage like BCG did with Tom Leach or Jeneane Edwards (check)

With these three met, the rest is just up to the personality of the coach. Cal passes all of these tests with flying colors, so from there I have zero problem with him emphasizing draft first, etc. Who cares if he's winning 31 games a season and has a bunch of awesome kids who do the school proud?

Cal could win a championship every single year and some of you would bitch about something..
This is funny. Cal should have won every year, except the year he dropped the ball on recruiting. The NIT year. Let's get this straight. Cal has the same amount of titles as Tubby. I really think even Tubby would have won more titles than Cal in the past six years with the talent that was on the rosters. He needs to find his nuts soon. Cal has the same amount of titles as
Jud Heathcote

All I hope is that he keeps this up a few more years my son is 4 years old and the run we had in the 90's when I was a kid hooked me I hope he gets a few of these years in so he will get hooked as well.

This is funny. Cal should have won every year, except the year he dropped the ball on recruiting. The NIT year. Let's get this straight. Cal has the same amount of titles as Tubby. I really think even Tubby would have won more titles than Cal in the past six years with the talent that was on the rosters. He needs to find his nuts soon. Cal has the same amount of titles as
Jud Heathcote
That is really dumb. Tubby would never have been in that position to try since he would have recruited rising 2 and 3 stars and we'd be watching KU, UNC, and Duke pass us in all time wins.

I really think even Tubby would have won more titles than Cal in the past six years with the talent that was on the rosters.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAA you're an idiot, wow. As someone who actually liked Tubby, I have no misgivings about his capabilities. Tubby could totally coach a team of experienced guys who know what it is to work hard. Tubby could have never made so many personalities and talents mesh so quickly and so well. EVER. Team turmoil, Randolph Morris, and Rondo proves this to a T. God man, at least when you attempt a troll, try to make coherent sense. Hell, that talent wouldn't even sniff UK of tubby or anyone else were here.

And if you really believe that about Tubby... Omg, you need help.

I chose 4, which is basically the same as 5 with one caveat. Some of the things he says make me cringe, and I'm not talking about his comments about the draft. "We don't just play college basketball, we ARE college basketball!" "We don't just move the needle, we ARE the needle!" Come on, man. Do you really think the recruits come here for that? I go to Kroger and see the UK and U of L stuff side by side, and all the UK stuff has things like "perfecting college basketball" on it. I would never wear something like that publicly. Humility is much more attractive. And the thing is, I know we're not about that behind the scenes. Our players visit hospitals on their own to see kids. Cal has them do things like the washing people's feet charity. Cal doesn't win a national championship and buy himself a sports car. He takes the trophy around the state so everyone can pose with it. So stop with the braggadocio on Midnight Madness and in press conferences. It's not you and it doesn't become you.

I chose 4, which is basically the same as 5 with one caveat. Some of the things he says make me cringe, and I'm not talking about his comments about the draft. "We don't just play college basketball, we ARE college basketball!" "We don't just move the needle, we ARE the needle!" Come on, man. Do you really think the recruits come here for that?

While I respect and understand your opinion, I feel the answer to your question is self evident: they do. #1 class after #1 class and the slogans haven't stopped. Something is working.

Also, there's no reason they can't be fed those lines of being elite and also e humble and participate in charity and community activities. In fact, I'd say it's more impressive that he's been able to implement both sides: you are at an elite basketball program worthy of only the best, and you also will learn how to be charitable and giving. Wall and Cousins lopping off $1,000,000 off their first contract and giving it to charity proves that the lessons stick

Your poll shows us that 95%(nearly exactly) of voters fully support Cal as our coach in one way or another. I fail to see how that is "out of touch" with the reality of the situation. It's also quite telling as well because poll questions are the wrong way of doing it.

If you wanted something more fair, just let people rank 1-10 and give their own explanation. Of course that would defy the point, as you've made pretty clear by following up with "BBN out of touch" when in fact nearly every single vote says they wouldn't trade Cal for anyone.

"you will either say the man walks on water, or you won't speak at all" - Rafter pumps.
I think you took my "out of touch"comment the wrong way. I was referring to those that voted 1-3, not the 4 or 5 voters. I thought about doing a1-10 poll but decided not to because there really isn't a need. Cal has done more than an amazing job and really if you are wanting to be that precise on you're grade then you are being too picking and that kinda shows where you belong on this poll. And if you are being critical about the type of poll I chose I can only imagine what you have top day about Cal.

Feel free to start your own poll of 1-10

Did we really have some idiot (who I put on ingnore) say the Tubster could have done better than Cal with an equal roster? Tubby sucked big time in 2001-2002, 2005-2006, and could not even take the 2005 team to the Final Four against a freaking 5 seed. He could not hold a 19-6 lead over MSU in the 99 Elite 8....with a team that had Padgett, Turner, and Evans, along with Magloire and a frosh Prince on it. Yeah the Tubster sure did a great job here of maximizing his talented teams. LOL. ZERO FINAL FOURS post 98.

Reactions: StubbornPenny
The obvious answer is usually the best answer. 22-4 in the NCAA Tournament. Best recruiting class every year. Multiple final fours, with a title (so no one can say he can't win the big one), THE program in terms of glamour/image/media coverage (ESPN is at times not more than a UK infomercial). There's not another one of the 345 college basketball programs that can match our record since Cal arrived, and only Duke can make a credible argument.

Anyone who complains about anything relating to UK basketball is either representative of the worst things people say about UK fans (i.e., idiots, never satisfied, completely unreasonable, etc. etc.) or really isn't a UK fan. It's that simple.

38-1 and some complain. Good googly moogly.

I voted 4 but disagree that he always knows and does what is best for UK basketball. He has been good for UK basketball but no way I say he has been perfect for UK baskletball

While I respect and understand your opinion, I feel the answer to your question is self evident: they do. #1 class after #1 class and the slogans haven't stopped. Something is working.

Also, there's no reason they can't be fed those lines of being elite and also e humble and participate in charity and community activities. In fact, I'd say it's more impressive that he's been able to implement both sides: you are at an elite basketball program worthy of only the best, and you also will learn how to be charitable and giving. Wall and Cousins lopping off $1,000,000 off their first contract and giving it to charity proves that the lessons stick

I think they come here because they feel they will get the best training for an NBA career here. The fan adulation, the coaching staff and its philosophy, etc. They don't come here because 'we ARE college basketball." That probably turns off a lot of parents.

I think they come here because they feel they will get the best training for an NBA career here. The fan adulation, the coaching staff and its philosophy, etc. They don't come here because 'we ARE college basketball." That probably turns off a lot of parents.

And I think it's a combo of all those things.

I'd be surprised if it turns off a lot of parents. If Harvard walks in your door and says "we're the most prestigious college in the world, we only accept the rare few, and we want your son on academic scholarship," I doubt many parents would be too turned off by the rhetoric.

Plus, Cal seems to go out of his way to please parents.

ADVERTISEMENT