ADVERTISEMENT

How do you see our pass rush being this year?

Welp it starts on the interior of the line. Need our Nose & DE's to be effective in drawing doubleteams as well as getting pushes up the middle. Love what I've heard about Melvin Lewis, most improved on the team, far outdistancing Elam as starting nose, and gives the 5* soph motivation to continue getting better skill wise as well as transforming his body. Sounds like we can expect guys like Hatcher, Farrington Huguenin, Denzel Ware are the candidates to be comming around the end pressuring QB's. Great chance early enrollee Kengera Daniel will be in that mix as well.

Not going to matter much on who rushes the passer if we dont get cornerback figured out. Can't pressure a QB if he can drop back and find wide open receivers downfield right after snap.

Originally posted by JHB4UK:
Welp it starts on the interior of the line. Need our Nose & DE's to be effective in drawing doubleteams as well as getting pushes up the middle. Love what I've heard about Melvin Lewis, most improved on the team, far outdistancing Elam as starting nose, and gives the 5* soph motivation to continue getting better skill wise as well as transforming his body. Sounds like we can expect guys like Hatcher, Farrington Huguenin, Denzel Ware are the candidates to be comming around the end pressuring QB's. Great chance early enrollee Kengera Daniel will be in that mix as well.

Not going to matter much on who rushes the passer if we dont get cornerback figured out. Can't pressure a QB if he can drop back and find wide open receivers downfield right after snap.
DT CJ Johnson is a pretty good pass rusher. Maybe too they can get something from the 2 JUCOs, Miggins and Bell. I'd like to see Daniel RS but UK is so thin at DE that's unlikely.

But....gotta stop the run.

When its 3rd down and long what four players will be on the front line? I figure Ware and Hatcher coming off the ends, with C.J. Johnson and Huguein on the inside. That's only if we are rushing only four.

Can't help losing Z and Bud. That hurts....

But all the interior line return, plus depth. All the LBs return, plus depth. And the Secondary returns, plus depth. I think the pass rush and the run stoppage will improve next yr. However, we'll still get burned a good number of times. 2016 will mark the time when a large portion of the 2-3 deep will be upperclassmen.

I thought CJ Johnson did a really good job on 3rd down passing plays last year. We need to have some LB'ers become effective blitzers. The best on our team at getting there is McClain IMO.

Originally posted by Jdhays21:
We need to have some LB'ers become effective blitzers.
That is why it was really really smart to hire Coach Buh to come here & give that important position some individual experienced coaching

I think Hatcher has a breakout year.. Kid has a ton of talent and it is his time to shine..

"When its 3rd down and long what four players will be on the front line? I figure Ware and Hatcher coming off the ends, with C.J. Johnson and Huguein on the inside. That's only if we are rushing only four."

-Do not forget about my boy! They have a special package called BIG KG for 3rd down passing situations lol!! Hopefully they will not use it this year, a RS would be very beneficial for him.

This post was edited on 4/16 12:30 PM by Parabolicsecan

Originally posted by Parabolicsecan:
"When its 3rd down and long what four players will be on the front line? I figure Ware and Hatcher coming off the ends, with C.J. Johnson and Huguein on the inside. That's only if we are rushing only four."

-Do not forget about my boy! They have a special package called BIG KG for 3rd down passing situations lol!! Hopefully they will not use it this year, a RS would be very beneficial for him.

Do you think the RS would be more needed from the physical or mental aspect?

I am betting he can make some major gains in the next 4-5 months for each!

He thinks it would help him physically more than academically. We met with the head academic advisor this past weekend and was surprised to hear what he had been going through academically. Three nights a week going to bed at 2:00 am and waking up at 5:00 am for conditioning and practice. He didn't let us know how tough it was and he will finish with very good grades this semester.

Coach Buh, Brumbaugh, Elliot and his academic advisor said he was very stressed, not to mention he's learning the playbook for multiple positions. His major is biomed engineering, a 136 credit hour degree. The redshirt won't do much to alleviate his course load and the type of courses he has to take between now and next Fall however it will allow him to get stronger and more familiar with the playbook, schemes etc..

On the other hand, Coach Buh told him today that he, Ware, and Hatch had a good chance of starting in the SEC this year. Mentally, he is fine. It's a maturity level right now for him really. He's focused on what he has to do. However, I am encouraging him to lighten up a little bit. Go out some instead of just when he's hosting recruits. Pick the right group of people (football team and/or classmates) and live a little. You only get this opportunity once!

This post was edited on 4/16 12:54 PM by Parabolicsecan

lewis is 330#+, miggins is gonna be around 290#, johnson is around 300#. that could be a a very formidable front 3. miggins and johnson are fast for their size. lb's are learning more so the blitz packages should be a lot more complex this year... and effective. better and more athletic guys in the backend should also help out in coverage and blitzes. we won't have the individual nfl prospects that bud and Z were but we very well could be a much better group.... especially against the run and getting sacks. we just have to get more coverage out of the cb's!!

When its 3rd down and long what four players will be on the front line? I figure Ware and Hatcher coming off the ends, with C.J. Johnson and Huguein on the inside. That's only if we are rushing only four.

We're running a 3-4 this year so it will be what THREE players are on the front line….

IMO in a 3rd & long situation we will line up 4-2-5, 4 rushers, 2 backers, 5 corners/nickle/safeties

Originally posted by BlueRaider22:

Can't help losing Z and Bud. That hurts....

But all the interior line return, plus depth. All the LBs return, plus depth. And the Secondary returns, plus depth. I think the pass rush and the run stoppage will improve next yr. However, we'll still get burned a good number of times. 2016 will mark the time when a large portion of the 2-3 deep will be upperclassmen.
If Love is eligible we will have 17 or so in the two deep on defense this year.

Since Huguenin, Dubose and Miggins are likely to be playing the same DE position as Kengera, I would expect a RS year for the big fella.

Originally posted by SoKyCats:

We're running a 3-4 this year so it will be what THREE players are on the front line….
We ran the 3-4 last year but still used 4 down linemen in our nickel and dime packages as I expect us to continue this upcoming season.

He thinks it would help him physically more than academically. We met with the head academic advisor this past weekend and was surprised to hear what he had been going through academically. Three nights a week going to bed at 2:00 am and waking up at 5:00 am for conditioning and practice. He didn't let us know how tough it was and he will finish with very good grades this semester.

Coach Buh, Brumbaugh, Elliot and his academic advisor said he was very stressed, not to mention he's learning the playbook for multiple positions. His major is biomed engineering, a 136 credit hour degree. The redshirt won't do much to alleviate his course load and the type of courses he has to take between now and next Fall however it will allow him to get stronger and more familiar with the playbook, schemes etc..

This post was edited on 4/16 12:54 PM by Parabolicsecan
Sucks for the late nights, but very happy to see him push himself academically and be the true student athlete that is the ideal. Good luck in engineering and in football.

In a 3-4 Nickel package some teams sub an LB for a DB, take out a true nose and put in a 3rd pass rusher. 3-3-5 with 2 corners is a nickel package of a base 3-4. Not the 3-3-5 like WVU runs with 3 safeties….IMO

Originally posted by SoKyCats:

Don't count on that being the case all the time. UGA runs a 3-4, but we have fronts with 4 down linemen, 2 down linemen and of course 3 down linemen. On obvious passing downs we run a lot of 2 down with 3 OLBs, now that might be because of our personel because our our top 3 defenders are probably OLB. But don't always expect that same 3 man front. Add that to us being pretty thin on DL I expect that alot from us this year, true frosh are going to have to play a lot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT