ADVERTISEMENT

Houston got commitments from a 5 star and a high 4 star

Nice to have that kind of talent sitting right in your backyard that wants to stay home and play. Kentucky is close to that for the 2016 class too. Drake Jackson and Landon Young are 2 stud OL with the offer sheets of 5* recruits. Throw in Davonte Robinson having a Notre Dame offer and that is 3 local kids that the big boys wanted too. It could get even more impressive if Kash Daniel decides to stay home for Kentucky. That would make four in state stars that a lot of the big boys wanted that we kept home to continue building the program.
It is keeping the local talent home that is the base for a solid recruiting class.

Texas is a talent rich state, and Houston is a talent rich city. Being a school in the state of a Texas is a big recruiting advantage. But recruiting successfully in a small state can be done.

Texas is a talent rich state, and Houston is a talent rich city. Being a school in the state of a Texas is a big recruiting advantage. But recruiting successfully in a small state can be done.

I agree. Kentucky does not have anywhere near the talent the state of Texas does. Houston by itself probably has more that Kentucky. That is why it is imperative we keep guys like Jackson, Young, Daniel, Hughes, and Robinson here to play. We need to keep the top 5-7 in state players home and steal a few from the surrounding states to be competitive.

That's what I was wondering. The more of these guys who are going to middling programs and by passing LSU Bama Auburn AM etc that is going to mean where going to be having even more battles on our hands going after the same recruits.

I agree. Kentucky does not have anywhere near the talent the state of Texas does. Houston by itself probably has more that Kentucky. That is why it is imperative we keep guys like Jackson, Young, Daniel, Hughes, and Robinson here to play. We need to keep the top 5-7 in state players home and steal a few from the surrounding states to be competitive.

And it is even more important that we get that talent when you look at the potential of these players, and more keep popping up, the OL from Kentucky in the 17 class was rated higher than our two gems at a camp they went to, we need him too. To keep it in perspective Kentucky had ZERO four stars in 10, we got the highest rated in Patterson and also Simpson, but Collinsworth probably had the best college career. I happened to check the talent in Texas that year and IIRC they had about 45 four stars PLUS a few five stars.

Texas produces tons of P5 talent a year, always has, but it also has 8 D1 teams instate teams and I have no idea how many lower level schools. Add that to OU OSU both making a living by recruiting Texas and LSU and Arkansas occasionally pulling a big time kid from there the talent gets spread out. In the Early years of Mack Brown Texas got just about every kid they wanted, probably 20 of the top 25 instate kids and had them committed by June. But Texas slipping a little, A&M joining the SEC, Baylor and TCU becoming powers in the Big12 has put an end to that. In fact it is forcing Strong to head back into Florida to recruit. Texas is probably number 4 with the instate kids there now. HS football is huge in Texas, they have HS stadiums bigger than some D1 schools.

Texas produces tons of P5 talent a year, always has, but it also has 8 D1 teams instate teams and I have no idea how many lower level schools. Add that to OU OSU both making a living by recruiting Texas and LSU and Arkansas occasionally pulling a big time kid from there the talent gets spread out. In the Early years of Mack Brown Texas got just about every kid they wanted, probably 20 of the top 25 instate kids and had them committed by June. But Texas slipping a little, A&M joining the SEC, Baylor and TCU becoming powers in the Big12 has put an end to that. In fact it is forcing Strong to head back into Florida to recruit. Texas is probably number 4 with the instate kids there now. HS football is huge in Texas, they have HS stadiums bigger than some D1 schools.

I was stationed in San Antonio Texas for part of my Air Force Career and went to a lot of high school football games. I will agree that there is a lot of football talent in Texas and Football is almost a religion there.

Heck down there a male is not thought to be manly enough if he doesn't at least try out for the football team and the girls who almost all are football fans look down on them Heck the reason I went to a lot of those football games was to take the girl I was dating at the time who was a rabid football fan.

ADVERTISEMENT