ADVERTISEMENT

Honest Question.....Sandy Bell.......

HICATFAN

All-SEC
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Kailua, Hawaii
.........isn't she the BEST in the business........I mean, really, she gets the job DONE !!!! Mahalo Sandy, all CATS fans of ALL sports at UK thanks you !!!!!

With Aloha

AlohaCat

Reactions: kywildcatfever
I think it's a bad look to have the only compliance officer everyone in the country knows by name.

It's kind of funny actually. Adds to the whole mob movie every other fan base creates out of our athletic department.

One thing people forget is Bell was there during the Claude Bassett and Hal Mumme cheating scandal.
What an ignorant response to this thread. Sandy can't stop Cal or Mark or any other coach from breaking rules. But she's Buford Pusser: she walks tall and carries a big stick.

Thanks HiCatFan for giving us a chance to tip our hat to Sandy.

Reactions: jarms24
What an ignorant response to this thread. Sandy can't stop Cal or Mark or any other coach from breaking rules. But she's Buford Pusser: she walks tall and carries a big stick.

How is this ignorant?!
She was the compliance czar at the time of severe cheating. It was both academic and financial to high school coaches. Crazy crap was going on during her watch and it set the football program back five years.
Rumors and allegations came up and she never stopped it and it only got worse over a two year period of time until the hammer fell on the department.
If she isn't responsible for rogue coaches then why have her?

How is this ignorant?!
She was the compliance czar at the time of severe cheating. It was both academic and financial to high school coaches. Crazy crap was going on during her watch and it set the football program back five years.
Rumors and allegations came up and she never stopped it and it only got worse over a two year period of time until the hammer fell on the department.

Come on, man. We all know who butters the bread and it ain't UK football.

If there is one person in Kentucky athletics that may be more valuable than Calipari, it is Sandy Bell. I don't know what she makes but she is underpaid. I dread the day she retires and I will not sleep as well.

Come on, man. We all know who butters the bread and it ain't UK football.
Depends on what you are referring to as the Butter... While I am a huge UK Basketball fan I also love UK football and other sports. But it is UK Football team that from what I have read brings in the most revenue. Now if your butter is prestige, stature or recognition, I fully agree it is UK Basketball.

With respect to Sandy Bell, a couple of comments above. 1 noted that it is not a good thing to have the only compliance officer in the country that is known by name. I am not sure that her name is known outside of the UK community. She is popular with us primarily because of her stellar work here. Another noted that she was in charge of compliance during the Mumme/Basset years. While that was a dark spot in Kentucky's football history, I am not sure of the compliance officer's ability to police all the actions of a rogue coach or staff member that may not be known. I always saw her role as more of monitoring the eligiblity of the potential athlete but yes, the Mumme/Bassett fiasco is a black eye.

How is this ignorant?!
8b52ba328ac8a13e3982088256d425ad.jpg

I am sure she does a great job but I don't know how OP or anyone else is evaluating her performance. Is it a lack of investigation? Okay, the guy above just noted a ding on that basis. Is it that she is great at pre-emptively advising Cal and staff of what they can and cannot do? Okay, she is probably great at that but how would we know? If OP is on staff and see the work she does in this area then okay, good to know. Do we judge based on how well she defends the university when something comes up? That seems fair but again are we praising based on public documents where she has done this well or just an assumption. My thought/my hope is that generally Cal and company know the main rules well and rely on her for specific situations. Eh, nevermind. I bet she is the best. I just don't know what prompted this. If it is the UNC scandal then maybe we should praise the department in general for not going out of their way to ignore ethics.

Reactions: Chico&TheMan

I don't find it ignorant at all. I don't know what Sandy knew or didn't know but for those who don't remember, Larry Ivy was the AD at the time and UK had stated to the media (shortly before Michael Eaves who was with Memphis media at the time) broke wide open the Claude Basset story that UK was about finished with its internal investigation of the football program and only minor violations or whatever were found. It was not a final report but UK disseminated message to media that nothing major expected and then shortly after that Michael Eaves (former WKYT TV reporter who then went to Memphis) blew wide open the Claude Basset sending cash to Memphis high school football coach. I don't know what Sandy knew or didn't know but it seemed obvious that UK's internal investigation was headed to finding nothing serious or major was wrong and then an outside source uncovered the whole mess. Personally, i'm skeptical of any university's internal investigation findings. If you want to uncover problems then let a rival school's compliance staff investigate. ;) Anyway, Michael Eaves' findings (serious violations occurred) greatly contrasted with what UK athletic department was indicating - i.e. no major violations.

I think it's a bad look to have the only compliance officer everyone in the country knows by name.

It's kind of funny actually. Adds to the whole mob movie every other fan base creates out of our athletic department.

I don't think it's bad at all, she's earned the reputation as the best in the business for a reason and actually makes those who want to drag our name through the mud look petty and ridiculous.

And we've got a long ways to go before we reach the "mob movie" surrounding the UofL athletic department... illegal arena deals, claiming to be the biggest money making program only thanks to alcohol sales, a local media that only praises and never questions you while attacking anyone you deem a threat.

My memory was UK fired Bassett pretty quickly when the facts were found out. And Mumme was booted at the end of the football season.

Assuming Belk didn't know about infractions until that time ..... both were the exact RIGHT actions. Correct?

My memory was UK fired Bassett pretty quickly when the facts were found out. And Mumme was booted at the end of the football season.

Assuming Belk didn't know about infractions until that time ..... both were the exact RIGHT actions. Correct?

I believe you are correct.

AlohaCat

I don't think it's bad at all, she's earned the reputation as the best in the business for a reason and actually makes those who want to drag our name through the mud look petty and ridiculous.

And we've got a long ways to go before we reach the "mob movie" surrounding the UofL athletic department... illegal arena deals, claiming to be the biggest money making program only thanks to alcohol sales, a local media that only praises and never questions you while attacking anyone you deem a threat.
I think Sandy has done a good job also. I don't know how many work out of her office, but there is several I think. I see and read about all the violations and problems that colleges have to deal with. I think the NCAA gets a bad rap because they are constantly investigating schools and coaches who have violated certain rules to gain an advantage. And most happen because coaches turn their heads and say I didn't know.. They are all grown adults that know right from wrong and if in doubt they only need to call the compliance officer.

If you think its bad now just wait till they start giving money to the players. Every time I hear someone criticize the NCAA, I realize in most cases it is because they don't know the details and jump to conclusions. The NCAA doesn't have enough people or subpoena power that they need. Just remember most of the people they deal with are rules breakers. In other words they deal with those who doesn't care about right or wrong.

We should be supporting the NCAA instead of giving them a hard time,

Based on what I know about her -- which is very little, and based upon what I heard and read about her -- which is a lot -- I agree 100%. We're really lucky to have her.

Are you saying that some of the recruits in the Cal era would not have been eligible if not for Sandy Bell?

ADVERTISEMENT