ADVERTISEMENT

Hiring New Coaches Is A Risky Coin Flip

YaketySax

Senior
Jun 28, 2018
What can happen when you think you're Icarus:

Remember Scott Frost's homerun hire at NU? Obviously extends beyond college football (what were the Milwaukee Bucks thinking?). And, you still gotta pay out their contracts unless they get work elsewhere, and even then in most cases you still foot the difference. How do you hire a new stud for max money when you still gotta pay the old stud?

Reactions: Lost In FL
So many variables now . Average coach hits big in the portal , & has access to crazy NIL ..he’s a damn good coach . Probably has a special season . I think Neal Brown has likely earned another yr …theyre a Hail Mary in the Houston game from being tied for first in the conference. His team is loaded with portal transfers and many have worked out . Napier has a good class and prob gets one more year - I think if next yr is bad , he and the AD both are out . Jimbo is likely out at A&M , maybe Pittman in Arkansas , tho his buyout is tied to his record being above or below .500. The unexpected firing may be Mississippi State’s coach - his buyout is low , also there’s offsets if he gets a coordinator gig

Reactions: YaketySax
Pretty good bet Arkansas and Miss St hire new coaches for 2024. Jimbo can legit tell his boosters their year was torpedoed by Wegman's injury. Napier will fire some assistants to satisfy fans and buy time.

So impressed by Neal Brown. Was preseason voted 14 out of 14 in the Big 12. Media predicted he had hottest seat and might not make it to October. Personally he has moved back to the top of my preference as next UK head coach. Ahead of Sumrall I think he would do great here.

What can happen when you think you're Icarus:

Remember Scott Frost's homerun hire at NU? Obviously extends beyond college football (what were the Milwaukee Bucks thinking?). And, you still gotta pay out their contracts unless they get work elsewhere, and even then in most cases you still foot the difference. How do you hire a new stud for max money when you still gotta pay the old stud?
Just look how many head coaches have come and gone since Stoops has been here. I believe only Saban has been at Bama the longest and Stoops is next.

That's why anybody calling for Stoops to get canned is an idiot. Hiring a HC is such a crapshoot, no matter what their previous history you just don't know how things will work out at your school.

Alabama got caught on the coaching carousel for years, Tenn was in it till Heupel, and Florida is in it right now.

I don't think you can take a single guy on the 2022 list and definitively say, "bust". Not yet, anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT