ADVERTISEMENT

Hillview man arrested for shooting down drone; cites right to privacy

I thought the article Blue linked indicated that under law, drones are defined as aircraft, and its illegal to shoot any aircraft. Under law, 747 is same as drone. Could be wrong though.

I wonder if he had lassoed it. Would that have worked?

I read that link as an opinion of a drone owner. A toy plane is not the same a real one will with human beings in it although drone owners would like to make you think they are. I'd have to read it again but did they charge the guy with anything other than firing a gun in city limits?

Didnt see, but it was hovering above his house with a camera? Almost have to be to shot it down like that. What is funny, is that the guy had his gun so close to him at the time.

I would be pissed as hell if a drone came into my back yard filming me. I would have destroyed the drone too.

Yea totally agree with the dudes who said he should have totally whipped out a cellphone, videotaped the thing, sent it to Nancy Grace, cried a little, baked a cobbler, followed drone in his car, sent video to police, blogged extensively about it, contact his HOA, etc...

That's how you take care of business. Can't have people fixing their own problems and stuff. Did he even have a problem fixing permit? Doubt it. Neanderthal probably didn't even contact the EPA to see if discharging his weapon outside would effect the air quality. Inconsiderate asshole just doesn't care about rules. SMH! NOT FAIR!!!

I think a drone bribe payload would really take care of a lot of this.

Lower income areas....put in a pack of cigarettes or a plastic bottle of vodka. If you notice someone in the video stream shouting or pointing a weapon at the drone, simply drop the payload and watch that unadulterated rage turn into a friendly wave.

Higher income areas....maybe one of those Yeti tumblers? Not really the status symbol the cooler is.....but it's still an expensive cup. Same results.

I read that link as an opinion of a drone owner. A toy plane is not the same a real one will with human beings in it although drone owners would like to make you think they are. I'd have to read it again but did they charge the guy with anything other than firing a gun in city limits?

It's not clear, frankly, but how to regulate drones is usually marked by ad hoc decisions based on whatever comes up, not by clear rules. I doubt they would prosecute him under the shooting at planes law. But if it was a multi-million dollar border patrol UAV I think they would.

Can't have people fixing their own problems and stuff.

Yes, we all know that vigilante justice is the best, especially when it involves discharging a firearm in the city (apparently against city law). And what a$$hole doesn't like a good cobbler?

Reactions: UKGrad93
Plenty of places you can fly drones, why hover it over someone's home? Shoot it down.

Two sides of the story. Drone owner released flight data recorder which shows path, altitude, etc. Seems to greatly contradict the story of the "drone slayer" :joy:
http://www.wdrb.com/story/29670583/...ry-produces-video-he-claims-shows-flight-path
That video does not prove a damn thing. The part with the I pad flight path is a joke. " here is his property here and the drone went here not here" ok....

The drone had to be pretty low to hit it with a shotgun. It is hilarious and sad that the guy who shot it down is arrested for warranted endangerment.. Wtf does that even mean?

If that would of happened to me and sounds like 95% of the posters here we would all be called " drone slayer" and rightfully so.

Wanton endangerment? That's probably for when you illegally shoot a firearm in the city limits.

Yes, I know we have a lot of tough guy vigilantes here.

Would have to agree, if it's close enough you can shoot it, it's too close.

Shark Tank Idea-create little mini-missile anti drone batteries for home defense.

If I wanted the public to surveil and videotape my home, I'd put up internet webcams all around my property.

These annoying drone punks are just modern day voyeurs who can't get laid so they're looking for cheap thrills. It should be illegal in a residential area.

Reactions: Stonewall12
Wanton endangerment? That's probably for when you illegally shoot a firearm in the city limits.

Yes, I know we have a lot of tough guy vigilantes here.
It is a felony?

It is not about vigilantes.. Libs going to lib

So the accounts are:
  1. Drone was at 10 feet at a neighbor's house, then low and hovering over Drone Slayer's (great name, btw) backyard.
  2. Drone was > 192 feet and not hovering.
Eyewitness account versus telemetry. Hopefully they sue each other and we can get 1) cross-examination of any/all eye witnesses, 2) verification/falsification of the telemetry, and 3) examination of the video/images. Because at least one of these dudes is lying.

Looks like the majority here have already condemned the drone operator as being a voyeur.

It is a felony?

It is not about vigilantes.. Libs going to lib

Video in the original article said he was charged with 2 felonies.

Vigilante is roughly defined as "someone who takes the law into his/her own hands by trying and/or punishing another person without any legal authority." If the drone operator's account is correct, he lacked legal authority to take the law into his own hands and shoot the drone. And considering that it appears firing a gun in the city limits is against the law, he lacked legal authority to his justice in any case. Not a classical case of vigilante justice, but it still fits.

Sounds like Mags has a great question for the Governor debate: Where do you stand on drone reform?

Screw the i-pad, there should be footage from the drone that will answer it all. I still think that if he shot it with a shotgun it would have had to have been close.( closer to 100, not 200 as the drone owner claims) Either that or this guy is marksman with a big gun and powerful shells. It's possible, but not likely.

Maybe in the future we can shoot them down with a firehose...might save a few charges.

shotgun with #8 shot would not bring it down at 196 ft, no way. 00 buck, maybe, but not likely

So the accounts are:
  1. Drone was at 10 feet at a neighbor's house, then low and hovering over Drone Slayer's (great name, btw) backyard.
  2. Drone was > 192 feet and not hovering.
Eyewitness account versus telemetry. Hopefully they sue each other and we can get 1) cross-examination of any/all eye witnesses, 2) verification/falsification of the telemetry, and 3) examination of the video/images. Because at least one of these dudes is lying.

Looks like the majority here have already condemned the drone operator as being a voyeur.

Or he's a snoop. Regardless, it's an invasion of privacy to have your home videotaped. Would you like it if one of your neighbors climbed a tree and sat there with a telescopic lenses taking pictures of you in your back yard?

Also, I don't want these punks buzzing their toys over my house and yard. They should take it to the park or out in the country and quit disturbing the peace. Oh yeah, there's not anything interesting to see there. They need to **** with other people's privacy.

To drone, or not to drone . . .
So pleased this is being settled in the Commonwealth
don't care how it goes, I'm killing the first one that flies across my yard
When the cops arrive my reason will be "general principle and sporting fun. would you like a turn?
That's how classless I am. Hate me.

Or he's a snoop. Regardless, it's an invasion of privacy to have your home videotaped. Would you like it if one of your neighbors climbed a tree and sat there with a telescopic lenses taking pictures of you in your back yard?

Also, I don't want these punks buzzing their toys over my house and yard. They should take it to the park or out in the country and quit disturbing the peace. Oh yeah, there's not anything interesting to see there. They need to **** with other people's privacy.
The question is can we shoot them out of the tree

shotgun with #8 shot would not bring it down at 196 ft, no way. 00 buck, maybe, but not likely

I don't know what he used, but by one account the shot just clipped it enough to send it down. The fall actually did more damage than the shot did.

I've had an argument with a prior hunting companion. We only went out once. He shot a goose at about 80 yds.....basically just barely clipping him with a pellet or two. He did kill it, but I argued that it was too far away and that it may injured rather than kill. He just didn't feel that way and we haven't hunted together since.

Update: now that I think about it, the flight recorder said 272 ft.....and that was the altitude straight above the ground. The hypotenuse of that triangle could've easily taken the shot well over 100 yds.....

Last edited:
This is a hot topic though.....especially amongst celebrities. Paparazzi are taking drones, flying them high, and taking pictures of celebrities from far, far away......never really approaching property lines. Situations like in this thread are going to become more and more debated in the near future.

I know a prominent member of the Lexington law enforcement community who noted that they've already priced drones to survey the city. 24/7 surveillance rather than just a few hrs here and there with copters.

My plan, once I can afford it, is to move so far out in the middle of nowhere where doubt is less.

Has anyone even bothered to question the IQs of the guys who show up at the shooter's house? AFTER he had already taken down their drone with a shotgun? Pretty sure they could have figured out that he wasn't going to show up in a bathrobe and slippers holding his cup of coffee.

Another point of contemplation with the flight video. He note that the flight is about 2' long.....but only a fraction of that time was near Slayer's home. So, Slayer had only about 30 seconds to rush inside, grab his piece, and handle his bid-ness?

So, I have to wonder:
-Is the timeline of the events correct?
-Or is this a repeat action? Meaning has the drone flown over before which would prompt Slayer to be ready?

The question is can we shoot them out of the tree

If the tree is on your property and it's a robot, then I would say "yes". If on your property and a human.....
2041514.jpeg

Another point of contemplation with the flight video. He note that the flight is about 2' long.....but only a fraction of that time was near Slayer's home. So, Slayer had only about 30 seconds to rush inside, grab his piece, and handle his bid-ness?

So, I have to wonder:
-Is the timeline of the events correct?
-Or is this a repeat action? Meaning has the drone flown over before which would prompt Slayer to be ready?

He's obviously faster than Uasin Bolt to fetch a weapon and pull off the perfect shot in 30 seconds or less.

Had to read the entire article because I knew there was no way he picked that thing out of the sky with a 40mm Glock. Would've been impressive, tho.

What happens when Amazon sends a drone to your house with your new blender and your neighbor doesn't take kindly to UFOs in his airspace?

Lots of key players in this drone game.

If it was flying low enough to be taken out with a shotgun, then it was an invasion of privacy. Shoot it down,

The Amazon example is a lttle different. If you asked for delivery of an item, you basically give the an implied license to make the delivery. So you cant shoot a drone in that situation.

If it was flying low enough to be taken out with a shotgun, then it was an invasion of privacy. Shoot it down,

The Amazon example is a lttle different. If you asked for delivery of an item, you basically give the an implied license to make the delivery. So you cant shoot a drone in that situation.

True you allow it to land on your property but what about it flying low over the neighbors?

I figure someone out there will use a signal jammier and try to knock some the Amazon drones out like it's Christmas.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
True you allow it to land on your property but what about it flying low over the neighbors?

I figure someone out there will use a signal jammier and try to knock some the Amazon drones out like it's Christmas.

Im assuming there is a certain altitude requirement where it becomes public airspace. I dont really know.

Im sure youre right, they will try it. Im assuming Amazon knows this and is developing tech that prevents it.

Would have to agree, if it's close enough you can shoot it, it's too close.

Shark Tank Idea-create little mini-missile anti drone batteries for home defense.
Two Otis fans fighting here...Let them fight...nothing to see...LOL

I don't blame the home owner for shooting it down, but you can't just go shooting stuff when you live in town. Both parties learned a lesson: Drone operator learned to fly higher. Home owner learned it's best to not discharge weapons in the city limits.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
ADVERTISEMENT