ADVERTISEMENT

Here is the Lowdown on Vargas

UK HEMINGWAY

Junior
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2005
This is a really good pick-up for the Cats. Ive seen him play alot this last year. He has range out to 17 feet and shoots it easily. He is smooth with the ball in his hands and handles the ball as good as any 6'10" kid coming out this year. Easily one of the best 4 shot-blockers coming into college this year. This kid would be a five star coming out if he was a high-schooler in the 2010 class. If he added 20 pounds it would be a joke how tough he would be. Better shooter than Patterson but not as strong. Rebounds ok, but shoots free throws exceptionally well. Not afraid of contact and is all business on the court. I would like to see more of a killer instinct in him but it kind of goes along with his personality. Kind of a calm demeaneor about him, like Tim Duncan. Thats all i got boys, if Cal gets a little more weight on him and a little mean streak then watch out because he is very skilled all around.

Originally posted by UK HEMINGWAY:
This is a really good pick-up for the Cats. Ive seen him play alot this last year. He has range out to 17 feet and shoots it easily. He is smooth with the ball in his hands and handles the ball as good as any 6'10" kid coming out this year. Easily one of the best 4 shot-blockers coming into college this year. This kid would be a five star coming out if he was a high-schooler in the 2010 class. If he added 20 pounds it would be a joke how tough he would be. Better shooter than Patterson but not as strong. Rebounds ok, but shoots free throws exceptionally well. Not afraid of contact and is all business on the court. I would like to see more of a killer instinct in him but it kind of goes along with his personality. Kind of a calm demeaneor about him, like Tim Duncan. Thats all i got boys, if Cal gets a little more weight on him and a little mean streak then watch out because he is very skilled all around.

Good info...Thanks!

As I have posted, Vargas, next to Kanter, is a very good combo! These 2 have specific skill sets that will compliment each other.

And, now all UK needs is to land Jones and allow these 3 to develop a realationship with each other.

Kanter, Vargas, Jones, Miller, Liggins, Dodson, Lamb and Knight would make a solid rotation.

I would like to see 1 more true point guard in that rotation. A player with above average handle and defense. A player to help Knight handle the pressure that he is going to see.

Vargas is a great pick up.....next up......Jones!

That was a good breakdown of his skills.
He will be a good addition to the team this year and should contribute early.

delmar,

Good point about the point guard spot. I think it's unlikely we'd add another PG at this time because of Teague's commitment.

As such, I guess the backup PG would be Liggins? Can Lamb handle the spot in a backup role? I don't think Miller's the answer.

Hope BK is in shape. He's going to play A LOT.

Originally posted by I. Melvin:
delmar,

BR>
Hope BK is in shape. He's going to play A LOT.

Also hope he doesn't get injured or we could be hurting too. Another good reason to pick up a solid, don't mean spectacular, back up for Knight.

good post but he's not a better shooter than patterson. give patterson some respect, he didnt shoot as well this year cause he had to shoot from father away and didnt get the ball as much. also he had to go against D1 college players while vargas played against junior college players. he was an excellent mid-range shooter with one of the highest fg %'s in the nation. vargas may be a good pickup, but he is not better patterson, in no way, shape, or form.

if he proves otherwise i'll eat my crow. but i want proof. i heard all this stuff about dodson last year and how he was soooo much better miller. and then he played terrible (for his hype).

Originally posted by Jmeeks54thebest:
good post but he's not a better shooter than patterson. give patterson some respect, he didnt shoot as well this year cause he had to shoot from father away and didnt get the ball as much. also he had to go against D1 college players while vargas played against junior college players. he was an excellent mid-range shooter with one of the highest fg %'s in the nation. vargas may be a good pickup, but he is not better patterson, in no way, shape, or form.

if he proves otherwise i'll eat my crow. but i want proof. i heard all this stuff about dodson last year and how he was soooo much better miller. and then he played terrible (for his hype).
I don,t know if Vargas is as good as Patterson, i doubt he is. But, shooting is one element that he looked better at than PPAt. Dodson is better than miller, at shooting only. This is just one element of the player's game. And, this is my opinion only. I've seen them both shoot, close up, and Vargas just looks more natural.

He is better than Perry Stevenson in every way. Shooting, dribbling, rebounding, and probably at shot-blocking also. He's 20 pounds bigger than perry and plays that way.

Originally posted by UK HEMINGWAY:

Hemingway, you missed the boat here pal. The only thing close in your analysis is the free throw shooting part. I think you were watching the wrong player all season. LOL Probably the WORST analysis ever. LOL. Btw, I am just razzin ya little. Hope this kid improves, because we sure could use him.

Originally posted by Fern Creek Cat:
So far, I would take Perry Stevenson over Vargas...

Im sorry, but at this point I would take the 6'4" center on my church league team over vargas.

I see E-Varg dominating the college game like none other. Lengthy NBA career is in his sights. Get it done, big man!

ADVERTISEMENT