ADVERTISEMENT

Has the SEC network's interview with Patrick Towles forced Stoops

23jumpboy

Senior
Jan 5, 2003
hand in naming him the starter right now? I mean, would the network interview a backup quarterback?

Yeah, Stoops is going to bow down to the SEC Network....right. I think Stoops will announce the starter when he darn well wants to as he is the HEAD COACH.

hand in naming him the starter right now? I mean, would the network interview a backup quarterback?
They would have had to ask Stoops for permission to interview him...add the fact that it is April and regardless if he was named the starter today he could still lose the job in the Fall.

I fully expect Patrick to be the starting QB and that has nothing to do with him being interviewed.

I think the SEC Network expects PT to be the quarterback. He was our QB last year and he was more than serviceable, even called the best QB in the SEC at one point. So, they also see his potential to improve and be even better and possibly be a star in the SEC next year. Does that mean that he is unseatable? Certainly not, and I don't think it forces Stoops' hand. I just think the SEC Network needed to talk to the face of UK football and right now that person happens to be Towles. Barker could take that from him, but it is going to take a lot to do so, IMO.

Reactions: CB3UK and Smashcat

They're not the only ones. ESPN and others have been interviewing Towles. Writing is on the wall as mad as that'll make those that would rather see Barker play than Tom Brady.

The Barker lovers aren't liking it too much that Towles lit it up this spring but they better get used to it, because there's a whole lot more of it ahead.

Hopefully they'll start rooting for what's best for the team rather than what's best for the guy they have a man crush on.

Jnew, I imagine that the moment that Towles becomes a consistent success that the naysayers will be few and far between. When things go poorly people always look to the backup to save the day. If things go well for us then Towles will be celebrated and Barker will get his turn in the future.

Towles certainly seems to be doing everything the right way. Hard work, patience, a good face for the program.

I do not know if Towles should be the starting QB and that is for the coaching staff to decide and not a decision to be made by some internet would be coaches or sports talking heads.

If he is to be the starter however I hope he has made a lot of improvement from last year and is more consistent. A little more help from his team mates especially the OL would be welcome

I have found that there is a huge correlation between the amount of time A QB has in the pocket to make a decision and the quality of his performance.

Reactions: pappy52
Most of college football analysts and fans outside the BBN have always maintained the stance that Towles is "the guy" and that "UK has finally found their QB." They said it last yr during the season and have said it the whole off-season.

Really the vast majority of people clamoring for Barker are within a fair sized portion of the BBN. The debate is coming from within house.

Towles started the last game. Nothing's been said that changes from that.
I agree. Leaving Towles and Barker out of it for the moment, it is rare for any redshirt freshman to beat out a returning junior starter. It happens occasionally, but only if the junior starter has been unproductive, or if the redshirt freshman is a once in a generation kind of player. Towles had some spectacular games last year, and some ordinary games too. When he was ordinary, it was always because the other team had a great pass rush and our offensive line wasn't doing enough to help Towles. All available evidence indicates Towles is a better quarterback today than he was a year ago, which is what you expect to see. Barker is a fine quarterback as well, but Barker will have to wait his turn.

I think we have more weapons and a better line this year. Towels was worn out by year's end from running too much. He couldn't deliver throws properly because he was a victim of physical punishment.

I think we have more weapons and a better line this year. Towels was worn out by year's end from running too much. He couldn't deliver throws properly because he was a victim of physical punishment.

Towels are something you dry your body with after a shower. Towles is a QB battling for the starting QB job at UK.

I think the debates over who should start and who is supposedly better are a bit silly. Gives something to discuss I guess, so the distraction for fans can be entertaining. But I've never understood why everyone can't root for both players to be the best version of themselves (yes, stealing from Cal) and let Stoops/Dawson determine who takes the first snap.

Odds are, we'll need both of them at some point this year.

As a poster mentioned above, whether PT or DB, the QB play needs to improve considerably from last year. Granted, last year was a considerable improvement over the previous 2 years!

the good news is that both guys have a lot of physical talent. They CAN be great QBs physically. Just need to develop the mental part and get a lot more help from the rest of the team - both of which may occur this year.

Ok, mostly I'm just ready for football. Long summer ahead!

Isn't Barker still off limits to speak to the media. He is still a freshman who hasn't played.

At this point, from reading articles, message boards, etc. It's pretty clear Towle will be the starter.

BUT, with that said, the one scrimmage I attended...Barker far outplayed Towles And it wasn't close. Barker marched his team to 4 out of 4 touchdowns and Towles had 3 out of his 4 possessions end in a 3 and out.

Maybe Towles dominated other practices/scrimmages I don't know. But the ONE I watched, Barker was clearly better. I guess chalk it up to a fluke.

Reactions: buckkiller
Towles certainly seems to be doing everything the right way. Hard work, patience, a good face for the program.
Yeah, but has he improved his ability to see the whole field and not just lock down on one receiver? I sure do hope so, because last year he would zero in on one receiver and never take his eyes off him. That makes it too easy for the defense to read his eyes also. I like his work ethic, but he's got to get better between the ears. A better OL would also maybe give him more time to read coverage.

Towles is the man this year and next. Barker will have his two years to run the show after that. This is what happens at SEC football schools.

This will be Towles fourth year at UK. He worries me. A big body and a strong arm is not the end all for a qb. They are a whale of a start but there's more to it than that.

Barker? Don't know. Haven't seen him play. Read about him and that's about it.

Hope one of them can play the position like an upper tier SEC qb. Just haven't seen it yet but still hoping.

Yeah, but has he improved his ability to see the whole field and not just lock down on one receiver? I sure do hope so, because last year he would zero in on one receiver and never take his eyes off him. That makes it too easy for the defense to read his eyes also. I like his work ethic, but he's got to get better between the ears. A better OL would also maybe give him more time to read coverage.

X2

Reactions: EliteBlue
Forced his hand? No. UK had to approve him doing the interview. Towles is the stater. He knows it. Stoops knows it.

This will be Towles fourth year at UK. He worries me. A big body and a strong arm is not the end all for a qb. They are a whale of a start but there's more to it than that.

Barker? Don't know. Haven't seen him play. Read about him and that's about it.

Hope one of them can play the position like an upper tier SEC qb. Just haven't seen it yet but still hoping.
You're worried about Towles but not about a guy who hasn't played a down? LOL. I do think Towles will be a top 7 SEC QB this year.

You're worried about Towles but not about a guy who hasn't played a down? LOL. I do think Towles will be a top 7 SEC QB this year.

Yeah, I'm going to be a bit more bold and say top 3. Towles made some ridiculous developments under an offensive coordinator/qb coach that really, can't coach QB's. We've since got a new coordinator/qb coach who has an outstanding history for improving QB's. Every issue with Towles was a very minor issue that would have helped in a big way. Moved a tiny bit too much in the pocket, moved his feet a bit too much, didn't scan the field quite as much as he should have, etc.
All of those things, I expect to improve for Towles this season. Both have performed well, but Towles had an outstanding spring. He's been putting the ball on the money, just like we need him to. He also has more weapons to work with, and a better offensive line to keep him protected while he does work.
I'm going to be very bold, and say this season, he throws for around 3,500 yards. Before anybody says it's not possible, he made those kinds of improvements between the year before, and last year.

Your love for Towles is based on a, so far, not too impressive three years. That's ok and you are the same as a lot of others. I would say the majority.

However, I'm kinda more or less on the fence about him. Maybe a better surrounding cast will prove you correct. Who knows? Neither one of us, for sure.

Barker? Barker is the same as what makes Towles such a favorite with most. Lots of hype and homegrown, Not a lock given his apparent poor judgement. Yeah, I worry about him also.

Good luck on your prediction for Patrick. Seen too many preseason high hopes fall flat on their faces for too many years as a UK fan. I hope your's will not be another one.

Last edited:
Basically, what posters are saying states our fan base has little or no hope for UK to be a player in SEC football.

Your love for Towles is based on a, so far, not too impressive three years.
I can safely say this is a mischaracterization given a) very few QB's start as pure FR particularly with an experienced incumbent & then he quickly is hurt when he gets a chance, b) he RSed his 2nd year, and c) did a credible job in most folks' opinion behind a weak OL & severe receiver restrictions. He was more a reason we got to 5-7 than a hindrance to getting there. Call presenting data as love if you like. OK by me. I love most UK players anyway.

When its all said and done after both graduate and move on Barker will have the better career at UK if he does or doesn't start this year. I am sure he will get significant snaps in a few games without a doubt. Better prospect all the way around.

Your love for Towles is based on a, so far, not too impressive three years. That's ok and you are the same as a lot of others. I would say the majority.

However, I'm kinda more or less on the fence about him. Maybe a better surrounding cast will prove you correct. Who knows? Neither one of us, for sure.

Barker? Barker is the same as what makes Towles such a favorite with most. Lots of hype and homegrown, Not a lock given his apparent poor judgement. Yeah, I worry about him also.

Good luck on your prediction for Patrick. Seen too many preseason high hopes fall flat on their faces for too many years as a UK fan. I hope your's will not be another one.

Not sure what team that you have been watching but this past year was Towles's second year starting not three. Not sure if he will be great or not but a single QB is never going to make an offense great. Until we get an oline that can block and receivers that can catch and get open, no one at that spot will get it done. And then you got the defense and special teams to think about so you might want to stay on that fence, its not as risky.

I've never taken sides on the QB race I just want the best guy to win some damn games and go to the post-season. If Towles still struggles with going through his progressions and seeing the field I do hope Barker will get a chance. There's a fine line in coaching between sticking with a player to a fault and pulling them too quick without letting them play through their mistakes. I trust Dawson to know the difference and make the right call without being too knee jerk about it.

Even if Towles goes out there and lights teams up I hope Barker will be able to get on the field against lesser teams and get some experience. If Towles goes down at some point or plays so well that he has a chance to leave early I hope Dawson will have prepared Barker to step into the starting role. I've never liked coaches that believe the starter should get every single snap even in games when you're up by 3+ TDs in the 4th quarter

Not sure what team that you have been watching but this past year was Towles's second year starting not three.
Not sure what team that you have been watching the past three years, but Towles was the starting QB only last season, RSed two year ago, and in 2012 was 3rd string QB behind Whitlow & Smith & started 1-2 games when they were both hurt before he was also injured.

I've never taken sides on the QB race I just want the best guy to win some damn games and go to the post-season. If Towles still struggles with going through his progressions and seeing the field I do hope Barker will get a chance. There's a fine line in coaching between sticking with a player to a fault and pulling them too quick without letting them play through their mistakes. I trust Dawson to know the difference and make the right call without being too knee jerk about it.

Even if Towles goes out there and lights teams up I hope Barker will be able to get on the field against lesser teams and get some experience. If Towles goes down at some point or plays so well that he has a chance to leave early I hope Dawson will have prepared Barker to step into the starting role. I've never liked coaches that believe the starter should get every single snap even in games when you're up by 3+ TDs in the 4th quarter
Good post.

What would Kentucky football be without a starting QB controversy? Towles is at the same point in his career as Andre Woodson and Mike Hartline were when they started playing well. That said I think catsfanforlife87 has a legit point because there is no saving Barker for a RS now.

Jnew, I imagine that the moment that Towles becomes a consistent success that the naysayers will be few and far between. When things go poorly people always look to the backup to save the day. If things go well for us then Towles will be celebrated and Barker will get his turn in the future.

Yes, if and when that happens... The reality is that Towles has left a lot to debate, so of course other options will be discussed until he shuts the door.

ADVERTISEMENT