ADVERTISEMENT

Has Dawson ever mentioned the difference in talent...

Gary4UK

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 20, 2004
From West Virginia to Kentucky?..... Is he happy with talent that he has to work with here at UK... I haven't read about this.. Thought someone might have listened to him on radio.....

Originally posted by Gary4UK:
From West Virginia to Kentucky?..... Is he happy with talent that he has to work with here at UK... I haven't read about this.. Thought someone might have listened to him on radio.....
Don't know but I'm surprised he hasn't been a bigger factor on the recruiting trail. Have heard very little about his recruiting. Maybe as we go forward but right now he hasn't shown much. Maybe that's the plan, I don't know.

I would say if he is smart and I think he is that he will not be making any public comparisons of the talent of UK and WVU. It would serve no good purpose and might cause butt hurt for one or both teams. IMO in this case silence is golden.

Reactions: hoojyoutlaw
The only statement I heard was that we had more talent at wr overall but need to find ago to guy like what WVU had and he didn't really sound like he thought anyone was close yet. Did say he loves our te but they didn't have that position

Yeah and I also heard that Morgan Newton was going to be the next Michael Vick a few years ago.

After 33 years as a FB fan I gotta see it on the field before I buy into the hype.

Originally posted by C1180:
I would say if he is smart and I think he is that he will not be making any public comparisons of the talent of UK and WVU. It would serve no good purpose and might cause butt hurt for one or both teams. IMO in this case silence is golden.
I'm talking the difference between a UK team that is low in the SEC standing, against a team that is competitive in the ACC... That shouldn't be a secret....I wouldn't care to say that UK has better talent..... Coaches wouldn't admit this, because that would put pressure on them.... Alabama and these other great teams can take pressure questions.... That's why they're good.... UK's basketball team took pressure... When we can take pressure and answer the tough questions then we will be ready to move up....

Stoops didn't care to tell us how far that UK was behind Florida State when he first got here... Other coaches do the same...... UK is the one paying Dawson's salary now, and I don't see how that would hurt him comparing the two offenses..... Why should that be a secret?... A good question too, since UK is in the SEC and WV is in the ACC.....

I guarantee the coaches know these questions between themselves, but they're never asked and they won't tell.... Cal tells it all and takes all the tough questions and pressure...... It's time our football team moves up the ladder of success..... The reporters ask so many questions that 8th graders would know, and they ask them again and again..... Why can't they ask and answer hard questions?... They cash big enough checks to answer big boy questions.... It's almost if the media are scared to ask football coaches questions.... Not only should they be asked, but they should answer to those who pay their checks, the fans.... IMO

I look for the football team to improve this year.... I think it's time to win, and I believe we will win.... I think Dawson was a good hire and will make our offense better.....

This post was edited on 4/20 6:25 PM by Gary4UK

Dawson has said in an interview when asked if he leans toward finding the super quick shifty players that WVU is known for recruiting that he thought we had some guys like that he was pleasantly surprised by the number of guys that we have that can make plays. He has also joked about being glad to be on this staff because he was tired of losing recruiting battles to us at WVU. Mrschwump it's waaayyyy too early to judge him for his recruiting here the man has only had the UK logo on his chest for a few months. Dawson was the reason we got Siheim King in the last class (who got offered by Florida and Michigan the day before he committed to us) and now he's recruited Gunnar Hoak so he's done pretty well for himself in a short amount of time

Originally posted by Gary4UK:
Originally posted by C1180:
I'm talking the difference between a UK team that is low in the SEC standing, against a team that is competitive in the ACC... That shouldn't be a secret....I wouldn't care to say that UK has better talent..... Coaches wouldn't admit this, because that would put pressure on them.... Alabama and these other great teams can take pressure questions.... That's why they're good.... UK's basketball team took pressure... When we can take pressure and answer the tough questions then we will be ready to move up....

Stoops didn't care to tell us how far that UK was behind Florida State when he first got here... Other coaches do the same...... UK is the one paying Dawson's salary now, and I don't see how that would hurt him comparing the two offenses..... Why should that be a secret?... A good question too, since UK is in the SEC and WV is in the ACC.....

I guarantee the coaches know these questions between themselves, but they're never asked and they won't tell.... Cal tells it all and takes all the tough questions and pressure...... It's time our football team moves up the ladder of success..... The reporters ask so many questions that 8th graders would know, and they ask them again and again..... Why can't they ask and answer hard questions?... They cash big enough checks to answer big boy questions.... It's almost if the media are scared to ask football coaches questions.... Not only should they be asked, but they should answer to those who pay their checks, the fans.... IMO

I look for the football team to improve this year.... I think it's time to win, and I believe we will win.... I think Dawson was a good hire and will make our offense better.....

This post was edited on 4/20 6:25 PM by Gary4UK
rolleyes.r191677.gif
FYI.... West Virginia is not in the ACC.

Dawson has said in an interview when asked if he leans
toward finding the super quick shifty players that WVU is known for
recruiting that he thought we had some guys like that he was pleasantly
surprised by the number of guys that we have that can make plays. He has
also joked about being glad to be on this staff because he was tired of
losing recruiting battles to us at WVU. Mrschwump it's waaayyyy too
early to judge him for his recruiting here the man has only had the UK
logo on his chest for a few months. Dawson was the reason we got Siheim
King in the last class (who got offered by Florida and Michigan the day
before he committed to us) and now he's recruited Gunnar Hoak so he's
done pretty well for himself in a short amount of time....

Great to hear him be open about his new job......
Originally posted by Cats78:

rolleyes.r191677.gif
FYI.... West Virginia is not in the ACC.
You're right, I don't know why I said that.... I know they're in Big 12....

This post was edited on 4/20 9:21 PM by Gary4UK

Comparing FSU where Stoops came from who won a NC the very next year to UK's talent level after a 2 win season isn't the same as comparing WVU and UK's talent level. WVU finished 7-6 last year and UK finished 5-7, fairly even seasons. There wasn't a football fan in America who thought FSU and UK talent were anywhere near the same when Stoops arrived. I think its probably a topic he should keep behind closed doors in coach's only meeting.

Yeah and I also heard that Morgan Newton was going to be the next Michael Vick a few years ago.

After 33 years as a FB fan I gotta see it on the field before I buy into the hype.
he was stating that we DIDN'T have the star yet but had more talent from 3 through 8. just needed to get a guy to become that #1 or #2 guy like they had at wvu.

ADVERTISEMENT