ADVERTISEMENT

Harry Giles Says Tatum His Best Friend But Will Do What is Best For Himself

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 4m4 minutes ago
Harry Giles Calls Jayson Tatum His ‘Best Friend,’ Breaks Down All 5 Schools http://zagsblog.com/recruiting/harry-giles-calls-jayson-tatum-best-friend-breaks-down-all-5-schools/…

The 6-foot-10 Giles out of Winston-Salem (N.C.) Wesleyan is considering five schools — Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, Wake Forest and Kansas.

He recently broke down those schools in an interview with SNY.tv:

Duke: “Coach K is a legendary coach, great guy. I have a great relationship with the coaching staff. It’s at home as well so you can never go wrong staying at home. And they’re just legendary, they produce a lot of pros. The players got a relationship with the coach after they leave Duke.”

On whether he talks with Jason Tatum and Dennis Smith about a package deal: “We talk about it here and there. We just talk as boys…We kind of throw it in there from time to time but we gotta make the right decision for us.”

Kentucky: “Coach Cal [John Calipari], great dude, man. I have a great relationship with him. I’ve known him since my freshman year. He developed a lot of players at Memphis and Kentucky, so I can relate to that. Kentucky’s a great place, a great program, so you can never go wrong going there.”

North Carolina: “Not really [concerned about the academic scandal]. You never really know the truth, so it don’t bother me. You just gotta trust the coaching staff that’s recruiting you to tell the honest truth.”

Wake Forest: “Coach [Danny] Manning is a great dude. He’s from North Carolina as well. We’re kind of similar…Wake Forest is in my hometown where I live so Wake Forest wouldn’t be a bad deal, either.”

Kansas: “Great program, they’re known for developing bigs. Coach [Bill] Self is cool, the coaching staff is really cool, so you can never go wrong with them.”

Yeah, and Tatum was seriously considering St. Louis.

Lets just say I am glad most of the posters are not responsible for handling recruiting matters. So when did Giles give his commitment to puke. I must have missed that.

When you say something over and over again doesn't that make it true! Obviously Bill Self does something well, maybe it is perpetuating the "bigs" myth. He keeps getting talent but whether or not "... developing bigs" is his forte is open to serious debate, among other things.

Kansas: “Great program, they’re known for developing bigs. Coach [Bill] Self is cool, the coaching staff is really cool, so you can never go wrong with them.”

Where is this coming from? I'm not saying Bill Self isn't a good coach, but why does everyone believe this common misnomer?

Josh Harrellson
Demarcus Cousins
Patrick Patterson
Anthony Davis
Enes Kanter
Terrence Jones
Nerlens Noel
Willie Cauley-Stein Frill Will Trill (whatever)
Julius Randle
Karl Towns
Dakari Johnson
Trey Lyles

What is Self's resume for bigs in the past 5 years? Joel Embid, Jeff Withey, Morris twins, and T-Rob? It sure as hell isn't Cliff Alexander. Was once a consensus top 5 recruit and went undrafted. I mean, don't get me wrong. I don't mind KU and I actually prefer their fans to most others, but at some point this myth needs to stop being perpetuated.

Reactions: BurpinTurpin
Where is this coming from? I'm not saying Bill Self isn't a good coach, but why does everyone believe this common misnomer?

Josh Harrellson
Demarcus Cousins
Patrick Patterson
Anthony Davis
Enes Kanter
Terrence Jones
Nerlens Noel
Julius Randle
Karl Towns
Dakari Johnson
Trey Lyles

What is Self's resume for bigs in the past 5 years? Joel Embid, Jeff Withey, Morris twins, and T-Rob? It sure as hell isn't Cliff Alexander. Was once a consensus top 5 recruit and went undrafted. I mean, don't get me wrong. I don't mind KU and I actually prefer their fans to most others, but at some point this myth needs to stop being perpetuated.
The perfect example of Bill Self "developing bigs" is Landen Lucas. Bill Self recruited Landen Lucas instead of Willey Cauley, in other words Self chose Lucas over Willie. Landen was a considered a project from the start, they even redshirted him his freshman year. But where is the development? This is the player they chose over Willie, but he hasn't been "developed" into anything.

So Calipari takes a chance on the skinny athletic 7-footer from Kansas, and turns him into the #6 overall pick in the NBA. What is Lucas doing these days?

And for that matter, look at all of Calipari's big men recruits. Aside from Eloy Vargas, every single big man recruit (PF/C) that finished at UK has played in the NBA so far. 2009: Orton, Cousins; 2010: Enes Kanter, Terrrence Jones, Eloy; 2011: Anthony Davis; 2012: Nerlens Noel, WCS; 2013: Julius Randle, Dakari Johnson; 2014: Trey Lyles, Karl Towns. And we are more than likely going to add Poythress, Lee, and Skal to that list. Derek Willis most likely won't make the list, although I'm not sure if he's a PF even though that's where Rivals lists him.

Josh Harrellson
Demarcus Cousins
Patrick Patterson
Anthony Davis
Enes Kanter
Terrence Jones
Nerlens Noel
Julius Randle
Karl Towns
Dakari Johnson
Trey Lyles

Jamari Traylor is about to become the first Big man under Self to play 4 years and not get drafted. Other than Embiid and Cliff alexander, the bigs that have gone to KU under Self have not been projected lottery picks out of high school. They are guys that were developed in college and then drafted. (Jackson, Kaun, Arthur, Aldrich, Morris twins, Robinson, Withey)

You list Dakari Johnson, but he was the 9th rated player coming out of High School, and was drafted 48th 2 years later. If that was a KU player, you would list it as a negative. Harrelson and WCS are the only players on your list that you could say developed into a draft pick in college.
You could argue Dakari's stock regressed in college.

Using Cliff Alexander against self devloping big men is the same a saying Cal doesn't develop guards by using the Harrison twins draft stock as a example. It just makes you look foolish

Jamari Traylor is about to become the first Big man under Self to play 4 years and not get drafted. Other than Embiid and Cliff alexander, the bigs that have gone to KU under Self have not been projected lottery picks out of high school. They are guys that were developed in college and then drafted. (Jackson, Kaun, Arthur, Aldrich, Morris twins, Robinson, Withey)

You list Dakari Johnson, but he was the 9th rated player coming out of High School, and was drafted 48th 2 years later. If that was a KU player, you would list it as a negative. Harrelson and WCS are the only players on your list that you could say developed into a draft pick in college.
You could argue Dakari's stock regressed in college.

Using Cliff Alexander against self devloping big men is the same a saying Cal doesn't develop guards by using the Harrison twins draft stock as a example. It just makes you look foolish

That's fine. Take Dakari out. The resume is still way more impressive than Self's. And I'm talking about the past 5 years, since Cal has been at UK. If he'd been at a powerhouse as long as Self, the list would consume the entire first page. And since you're willing to omit all our 5*'s, then take away Embid. Self doesn't get credit for him, and won't get credit for Diallo or Bragg either.

Also, this conversation isn't about guards. It's about developing big men. Say what you want about the twins, but they're both on an NBA roster, which can't be said for Cliff Alexander (a top 5 incoming recruit who went undrafted after only 1 year). Plus, Devin Booker (a 4* guard) just went in the lottery, which would cancel out your argument as far as Cal developing guards. Gonna be even better when 5'9" Ulis gets drafted.

That's fine. Take Dakari out. The resume is still way more impressive than Self's. And I'm talking about the past 5 years, since Cal has been at UK. If he'd been at a powerhouse as long as Self, the list would consume the entire first page. And since you're willing to omit all our 5*'s, then take away Embid. Self doesn't get credit for him, and won't get credit for Diallo or Bragg either.

Also, this conversation isn't about guards. It's about developing big men. Say what you want about the twins, but they're both on an NBA roster, which can't be said for Cliff Alexander (a top 5 incoming recruit who went undrafted after only 1 year). Plus, Devin Booker (a 4* guard) just went in the lottery, which would cancel out your argument as far as Cal developing guards. Gonna be even better when 5'9" Ulis gets drafted.
actually cliff signed a 2 year deal with the Blazers.
I was not comparing Self to anyone. the post I replied to said self shouldn't be known for "deveoping" bigs. the fact is self has developed bigs as well as anyone while at ku. hard to compare him to Cal, as Cal has gotten higher end talent compared to self. that is not a knock on either, just is what it is. cal having 5 star kids leave after a year and self having 4 star kids leave after 3 or 4 are apples and oranges and something both coaches use as a recruiting tool.

and no one recruited Lucas over WCS. for whatever reason, ku did not recruit WCS. BUT Lucas was a late plan C pickup in the summer after ku put all their eggs in the Kaleb tarc%#$ basket.

I wasn't talking about guards. reread my post. I said anyone knocking cal for the harrison twins just looks foolish.

With Cal anything is possible in recruiting. It just seems like Cal knows something, I think we are in for a surprise and it may or may not be Giles.

North Carolina: “Not really [concerned about the academic scandal]. You never really know the truth, so it don’t bother me. You just gotta trust the coaching staff that’s recruiting you to tell the honest truth.”

I guess if he is not going there then it's ok to trust the coaching staff.

Before Jones/Okafor, everyone was leary of these package deals ever happening. Those 2 committed together. I guess it's possible that he just wants to drag it out for the attention, but I still find it interesting.

I doubt he's at UK

The talk on Giles needs to stop. If Kentucky pulls him somehow it will be John Calipari's greatest coup in recruiting ever.

Reactions: ukrjr1
We are not allowed to even talk about a recruit we most likely will not get? Hell if this the case then shut down all of Louisville's message boards!
Its a 5 times a week thing on this board about this guy.

ADVERTISEMENT