ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

UL losing bball assistant Wekkin' it Jones

airplanes buzzing downtown River City + the gorgeous looking day outside is making it a challenge to get one thing done at the desk today #TheStruggleIsReal

Originally posted by B.B.d.K.:
Not to sound all Brooksy, but each time I watch Mad Men I feel a slight pang of jealousy for that era...cot damn that looks fun.

Just a Bottle of Scotch on the desk would be enough for me, really.
Yep totally admire the office bar on Mad Men. Bad news--->drink, good news---->drink.

Not sure how it went out of fashion but I don't like it.

I mean, was it really like that?

Just walk into your boss's office for a meeting, light a crispy, and walk over to his bar without even asking for approval, pour a stiffy and sit down. "So, what's going on?"
shy.r191677.gif

I realize it's a TV show, but the whole point of the show is basically to recreate that era as realistically as possible, right?

-Dazon Ingram holds a presser to decide between UK & Bama. Kentucky has not offered. He picks up/pump fakes with the UK hat, then slides on the Bama hat and re-committs to Bama, the only offer on that particular table.

laugh.r191677.gif

Solid.

ec

indifferent.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 4/17 1:57 PM by B.B.d.K.

At my first "professional job" I was the lone employee for a guy who had hung his shingle on a Madison Ave office contemporaneously with Mad Men and had lived an amazing life in general. His bucket list was honestly down to "Tajikistan."

He took nap after lunch on his office chaise everyday and if I had to stay past 5:30, his wife would bring me a frosty Sam Adams from their family home above the office.

My first Mortgage Broker job (22-23) I had two offers.

1.) New Century Mortgage - In the building behind O'Charley's on Breck. Typical professional office.

2.) KY Mortgage Funding atop Kaden Tower (Lykins) -- where after my interview I was shown the 'Kitchen', which contained a separate full-sized fridge full of beer, where we both drank one and he bragged about how "awesome" of a place it was to work, and then proceeded back to his office where the 8ball was. 100% true story.

I chose #1. Despite my penchant for partying in that era, I amazingly knew better than to take a JOB where that was the norm during working ours. Pretty mature decision, unlike 98% of everything else I did during that time.
smile.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 4/17 1:52 PM by B.B.d.K.

No Derby talk? No Chow Wagon? No "Louisville is so awesome this time of year" stuff? Man, that Wisconsin game sure did a number on GYERO.
ohwell.r191677.gif

I will actually be a bachelor party (golf trip) Derby weekend.

Grandfather was a corporate attorney for Seagram's when they had a distillery and major office in Louisville. Heard plenty of stories about work and play getting way too intertwined and his boozehound days. He never drank a drop when I was alive though and I finally asked my Dad why...

Pretty much long days turned into longer nights and my grandmother told him to choose between the sauce or Momma. He choose Momma and went dry.

Originally posted by wcc31:

I will actually be a bachelor party (golf trip) Derby weekend.
You jumping out of a cake or something?

Hope this coming week in Vegas can put some joy back into life.

Originally posted by IsRichieGonnaStart:
Grandfather was a corporate attorney for Seagram's when they had a distillery and major office in Louisville. Heard plenty of stories about work and play getting way too intertwined and his boozehound days. He never drank a drop when I was alive though and I finally asked my Dad why...

Pretty much long days turned into longer nights and my grandmother told him to choose between the sauce or Momma. He choose Momma and went dry.
laugh.r191677.gif

When I first started practicing, I kept a bottle of Makers in my office.

Within a week, somebody on the night cleaning crew stolt it.

blackeye.r191677.gif

*Listening to Maggard on the KSR podcast really got me excited about football, he's a breath of fresh air coming off the disappointment of bball season and the "meh" football offseason. Nice to hear some educated optimism. My fond childhood memories of UK basketball mostly revolve around the radio/TV set. My football memories are of actual games I attended because my dad played and my family has had season tickets all my life. I like SAE's approach in just embracing the spunky underdog role without expectation.

*Hopefully we get one or two of those transfers and Ingram. I like the idea of guys that have patiently waited for their turn having meaningful roles. It would be fun to see if Willis, Hawk, Lee, and Poythress can take Harrellson/Liggins type steps next season. Very likeable and probably underrated team, IMO.

*Haven't seen much of the all star games, does Briscoe have a little Chauncey Billups in him? Sound kinda like it.

*I've watched the Drew Barker video over and over, I know it's a dead horse, but it doesn't make it any less fascinating. I want a 30 for 30 done on that night, questions need to be answered. I was on the phone with another diehard buddy of mine and we couldn't stop replaying hypotheticals about how it went down like that.

It's hard to remember 'early' Billups, b/c he was so good from the middle of his career on....but I'd say no. He got it done off pullups & jumpers while using his size, was always kind of an "upright" kind of player...Briscoe's deal is attacking the rim and getting to the line/setting up others. He's smooth & rugged at the same time.

Briscoe reminds me of a Jamaal Tinsley type...not super explosive, but can get anywhere he wants with his smooth handle, size, and understanding of the game in general. He's deceptively quick while not being a turbo athlete.

I guess you could say his "feel" for the game is a Billups trait though.

I haven't really seen any player comparisons for him other than Anthony Peeler.

This post was edited on 4/17 3:46 PM by B.B.d.K.

Originally posted by TheShowKiller:

*I've watched the Drew Barker video over and over, I know it's a dead horse, but it doesn't make it any less fascinating. I want a 30 for 30 done on that night, questions need to be answered. I was on the phone with another diehard buddy of mine and we couldn't stop replaying hypotheticals about how it went down like that.
Details that have made no sense:

1. WTF were they doing there in the dorm?

Heard reports they went to apologize at first, but no way old boy was out of the hospital by then.

Drew looking for some loving? Said he was there "visiting" a friend. Smarten up kid.

2. WTF did the other two do NOTHING. Pretty much either they don't like Barker and no F's were given, or they are little bitches. Pretty much all there is.

That video is UK football in a nutshell - a dude getting absolutely cold-cocked but eliciting no reaction/retaliation in response.

Originally posted by B.B.d.K.:

Briscoe reminds me of a Jamaal Tinsley type...not super explosive, but can get anywhere he wants with his smooth handle, size, and understanding of the game in general. He's deceptively quick while not being a turbo athlete.
Two guys on the team that can pretty much get anywhere they want off the bounce without picking up the dribble...I'll take it.

On to Bbdk's point about Mad Men and the office culture at that time ===> there has to be something to it, because in every 60's/70's TV show when two guys sit down to talk business, there was always a bar, some crystal glasses and various choices of alcohol. The conversations all took place with each person having a drink of choice, usually straight, in hand. It couldn't just all be TV land fiction, I think it was part of the culture.

The thing about that era that strikes me is the freedom. No cell phone, no email, everything was filtered through a secretary before it got to the guy. There was just a level of personal privacy, insulation that isn't possible in today's world.

Damn you rampant alcoholism, sexual harassment, and technology...

Originally posted by drxman1:

Details that have made no sense:

1. WTF were they doing there in the dorm?

Heard reports they went to apologize at first, but no way old boy was out of the hospital by then.

Drew looking for some loving? Said he was there "visiting" a friend. Smarten up kid.

2. WTF did the other two do NOTHING. Pretty much either they don't like Barker and no F's were given, or they are little bitches. Pretty much all there is.
So the way I've tried to rationalize it is that the other two guys wanted to get the touch out of dodge after the bar fight but Barker was trying to hook up at the dorm...they tell him they will go but whatever happens is on him and they aren't down for any other confrontations. Basically, "you're on your own if you drag us in there." ===> "maybe you'll listen next time, brah. Don't forget your hat."

Kind of the same sympathy my 9 year old gets when I tell her not to run through the house and she does anyway and stumps her toe.

laugh.r191677.gif

Adrian pulled out all the stops on the Briscoe/Tinsley comp. Nice work. How long did you lay in bed staring at the ceiling thinking of that one?

Billups isn't bad either. He was a lot more reckless attacker in his younger years before became Mr. Big Shot in Detroit.

Been thinking about it a good bit, he's a tough one.

That's my forte tho, you knew I'd deliver.
happy0014.r191677.gif

...just like My Odom for Ben Simmons that's now being tossed around pretty much everyone (With apologies to Chad's Boris Diaw
rolleyes.r191677.gif
)

So the way I've tried to rationalize it is that the other two guys wanted to get the touch out of dodge after the bar fight but Barker was trying to hook up at the dorm...they tell him they will go but whatever happens is on him and they aren't down for any other confrontations. Basically, "you're on your own if you drag us in there." ===> "maybe you'll listen next time, brah. Don't forget your hat."

Kind of the same sympathy my 9 year old gets when I tell her not to run through the house and she does anyway and stumps her toe.
Yeah I could see that, but I don't think that was Baker that handed him his hat. When you watch the video, looks like the other two UK guys are in hats, sort of in the far corner across the desk from Barker. They walk out the door with a dazed Drew while dudes are pointing for them to leave...

Could be wrong, but that was my video analysis.

Went to Keeneland Saturday as a guest of one of my wife's private clients. Talked with him at length about all kinds of stuff...interesting guy. He worked on Madison Avenue for several years in the 60's. Two of the companies he worked for were actually mentioned in seasons past. Said the show is pretty accurate representation of what it was like.

Willy knows this guy, and could possibly confirm.

The part that really gets me is how they just pour a glass of alcohol and then drink it.

No ice. No soda. No tonic. No water.

Whenever I see this in TV shows or movies I think about how big of a pussy I am.

On to Bbdk's point about Mad Men and the office culture at that time ===> there has to be something to it, because in every 60's/70's TV show when two guys sit down to talk business, there was always a bar, some crystal glasses and various choices of alcohol. The conversations all took place with each person having a drink of choice, usually straight, in hand. It couldn't just all be TV land fiction, I think it was part of the culture.

Damn you rampant alcoholism, sexual harassment, and technology...
The stories the older attendings used to tell us about life in the hospital back in the day were insane. Like the show Scrubs if you crossed it with Animal House/ Blow/ and Penthouse Forums.

Definitely looked at them in a different light afterwards. Not the stuffy old bastards you'd think.

You gotta admit, though, that a lot of that is selective memory and hyping up one's past performance. In our minds, weren't we all heros in college?

you dont understand, bro. back in the day, i pretty much crushed EVERY adpi.
dude, it was nuts. all i had to do was snap my fingers.
sheeeeeeeeeeeeeit. two keys? more like two sloots. because that's how many i took home every thursday night.
only two? must have been a slow night. zing!
well, that was after downing a fifth of john daniels.
dont you mean jack?
when you know him as well as i do, son, its john. hey-yo!
remember that time you crushed that one blond tri-delt?
yeah, i beat her bf's ass that night, too. it was a two hit fight. i hit him, he hit the ground. /yacketty sax
dude, you were a legend.
what can i say, bro. they should have renamed the delt house the wool house....because it was everywhere. lol.

(and so forth)

Originally posted by PTI (pti):

you dont understand, bro. back in the day, i pretty much crushed EVERY adpi.
dude, it was nuts. all i had to do was snap my fingers.
sheeeeeeeeeeeeeit. two keys? more like two sloots. because that's how many i took home every thursday night.
only two? must have been a slow night. zing!
well, that was after downing a fifth of john daniels.
dont you mean jack?
when you know him as well as i do, son, its john. hey-yo!

remember that time you crushed that one blond tri-delt?
yeah, i beat her bf's ass that night, too. it was a two hit fight. i hit him, he hit the ground. /yacketty sax
dude, you were a legend.
what can i say, bro. they should have renamed the delt house the wool house....because it was everywhere. lol.

(and so forth)
laugh.r191677.gif

Pulling wool lol.

Gunit should write a book, Tucker Max style, about his embellished conquests. #Downlike4Flats #PoundTown #PutThePinkInherStinkEye #DoubleTwister

One of the greatest advancements of western culture is the near universal grooming of the young ladies.

Too bad we don't have the new layout yet. You guys could've given Pti trophies for his fond remembrances of wool.

Speaking of the new boards, the guys at Peegs and DawgVent are going to hate it. No more putting your first sentence or few words in the subject line.

ADVERTISEMENT