ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

drxman1

All-American
Nov 5, 2008
New week, I'm tired of being depressed, moving on.

Sorry to see him go, but good luck Slice.

GOT was a decent first episode, but Silicon Valley was great.

Buddy from Phoenix was in town this weekend, had a blast. Always fun taking people to Keeneland.

Vegas Saturday.
smokin.r191677.gif

Feeling Great on a Monday for the first time in a Month Randoms
smile.r191677.gif

Pretty much the perfect "reset" kind of weekend that I was hoping for.

-Casual date night w/ the wife Friday, El Nopal & Margs on the patio. Dateline DVR.
-Gym Saturday morning, 1st coat on the deck for 4 hours, Masters evening-on
-Walked 18 holes Sunday, 2nd coat on deck, Masters & Grilling from 3pm-on
-Gym this morning, at work by 8:30, and feeling completely normal - ready for a good week.

Needed that.

-Spieth, damn. Saw a stat where Phil would have won 69 of the 78 Masters, and tied 4 more with his effort. Rory almost the same.

One person was winning that golf tournament, that's just the way it goes sometimes. That kid is incredible. Again, golf is a weird game & usually impossible to predict when it comes to players & longevity -- but I feel comfortable saying Spieth is a sure thing, and sure to be a household name for a few decades for the most part.

-I know the weather/conditions played a HUGE role, but wonder if Augusta goes back to the drawing board a bit. Those guys treated that course like it was a random Tour Stop for the most part.

-Tiger/Phil -- again, nobody was going to win *this* week, but how people can say flatly those guys are "done" is beyond me. If they are "done", then I guess so is everyone in the world not named Rory, Jordan, Bubba, and a few select others.

-83 for dad yesterday. Hit the ball surprisingly well, would have putted better with my eyes closed. A few great shots, 2 birdies, and a chip in. Glad to get that 1st round out of the way...always so uncomfortable & awkward.

-Our course is greener now than it was at it's peak last year. Like most places (Bermuda), our course was completely ruined last year.

They over-seeded with, and it came out flawless. It looks like a July course right now...carts even off paths amazingly. The Bermuda will take over the Rye over the next month, and it will be good as new. Pretty interesting how that all works, really.

Oh, and they've added that 'Soccer Golf' to the Par 3 course.
laugh.r191677.gif
-- should be a fun/random drunk thing to do at some point, hopefully they work it into one of the drunken tournaments somehow...I'm sure they will.

-This weekend's weather ---> the ultimate weather. If there was one weather I'd take for year-round, that would be it -- sorry July/August.

Best news of the week. Lou Holtz out at ESPN. Now if they can just get rid of Mark May.

Spieth was 3 years old when Tiger won his first Masters.

Makes me feel ridiculously old.

Originally posted by Booker Noe:
Welp the recruiting news seems shitty. Great.
yeah, really kicking myself for checking twitter, and then clicking Mag52's blog link last night before going to bed. Crapped on a great weekend.

For some reason the wife was both befuddled and frustrated our back yard did not look like a centerfold spread from Home & Garden mag. On the 2nd weekend of April. Busted it both days with landscaping & tree trimming & cleanup. Oh well, good day of yardwork feels quite satisfying and manly.

Took the kids to the zoo yesterday morning for a while, it is torn all to hell around the elephants & lions. Looks awful, one of the River Cities biggest tourist attraction looks like ish with summer right around the corner. Great timing guys, glad you didnt get whatever you are doing taken care of in Dec/Jan/Feb!!!

a gay male sex scene GOT, really? really? From my point of view their viewership & money making hasn't been harmed in the past for showing a great deal of female T&A. Greater potential for males to stop watching due to too much manass than there is losing girls from showing lots of lady parts. Do better HBO.

Interesting yet meaningless fact of the day- Spieth went to high school with one of the OU SAE guys from the video.

* In today's lesson of "learn golf," BBdK texted me a wiseacre comment on Saturday:

phil & tiger will never win again

At the time, they were trailing Spieth by 6 and 12 strokes, respectively. Phil played outstanding golf, and finished 2nd -- 4 strokes back (his first top-15 finished of the year), and never really threatened. Tiger finished 17th, thirteen strokes off the pace.

Interesting way to talk smack.

* Spieth, Fatrick, Day, Fowler, Mcilroy = thats some serious talent in the 20-something range.

* Went to a benefit Friday night (http://www.kellygibsonfoundation.org/), and picked up tickets to the Motley Crue farewell tour. I was bidding on two different concert tickets -- that, and NKOTB/Nelly/TLC -- and was determined to walk out with one or the other. Boom.

Will this show suck, or do these guys actually have a little left in the tank?

Originally posted by PTI (pti):

tickets to the Motley Crue farewell tour.

Saw the Crue reunion tour back in Detroit, guess about 10 years ago. Obviously nothing like their heyday, but still a fun show.

NKOTB, have no experience there. Whatever.

* In today's lesson of "learn golf," BBdK texted me a wiseacre comment on Saturday:

phil & tiger will never win again

At the time, they were trailing Spieth by 6 and 12 strokes, respectively. Phil played outstanding golf, and finished 2nd -- 4 strokes back (his first top-15 finished of the year), and never really threatened. Tiger finished 17th, thirteen strokes off the pace.

Lol, you clearly don't understand golf. Golf is about playing well & putting yourself in position to contend. Tiger fell off, but he showed lots of signs at getting back.

Phil was outstanding.

Spieth setting/tying a 79 year old Master record for birdies/scoring is no indication of whether Phil/Tiger can win another major. Nobody else was wining that golf tournament, and was evident midway through Day 2, which is why I placed multiple ML bets on Jordan at that time.

Pretty simple stuff for a college golf ball.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Saw them about 8 years ago and it was a good show. Started off with Shout at the
devil.r191677.gif

Still think Tiger has a major in him as does Phil. Both should be able to win one tournament this year.

Spieth is a can't miss guy. His caddy lives 15 minutes from Chambers Bay (US Open site) and may be one of the only guys to know that course.

I will pick Rory at St. Andrews but if Tiger were to win one this year then that's easily his best chance of the 3 remaining.

MNeed Neman and one other big name...or Brown and one other big name and we could be pretty decent.

I will say I thought was more compelling when Tiger was great. However nobody gets loser's limp like that guy. Sure he may have hit a root yesterday but how many times has he pulled up lame when not shooting well recently? He's lost that swagger and he will never get it back. He may win again but no way he gets to Jack.

Monday Randoms:

- Nice weekend. Chilled Friday night. Hit the gym Saturday morning. Met some friends out in OTR late afternoon and pretty much hit patios the rest of the night. Perfect weather. The lass had her mom in town. Sweet lady just like her daughter. Met them for a drink on Saturday and then she took us to Primavista last night. Charming atmosphere, awesome meal (Penne & Sausage with Pesto) and maybe the best view in Cincinnati. I hate the Westside but that one specific area up by Primavista and Incline House is really cool.

- I've done a pretty good job getting over the loss. Every now and again, I think about it and melancholy takes over, but that's just the way it is. This loss will haunt me for years, decades even.

- The insecurity of some UK Basketball Fans never ceases to amaze me. All of the sudden, Duke's going to win the next 3-4 national titles, UK isn't going to get any recruits and Calipari can't coach. Get a grip.

- I can understand Golf Fan enjoying greatness but I like to have a little drama in my Masters.

- So, UK's going after Jamal Murray. Dude was easily the most impressive player at the Summit, followed by Simmons and Skal.

- Starting to think Ben Simmons may be too good even for Jones to F up. One of the better all around players I've seen in awhile. Joy to watch.

- Man, I love the Briscoe Hesitation Move.

- Starts getting warmer out, turn up the country music for dad.

He hasn't won a major in SEVEN years.

He's right on the cusp, though. Ell oh ell.

(btw, i do still think he wins 1. but some of you -- bbdk/cawood -- have been denying his regression for way too long)

Just a reminder --> he finished THIRTEEN strokes behind Spieth. So close!

Yeah, Tiger is a shell. His shell Is still one of the best golfers on the planet but he's no better now than any of his upper middle pack peers. Its pretty easy to see.

- can't kick the snots from my last cold. Feel great but my nose won't clear out.

- spent the weekend on some yard and garage work that was overdue with the gal working this weekend.

- really want a slowdown for the next few weeks but trip for a memorial service and a pre-planned trip to LA is gonna stop that. Haven't been home on a weekend totally but 1 time in nearly two months.

- still on my college bball hiatus. But come on, recruiting is definitely the one thing I've learned to let go of the past five years. No point in sweating it. 18 year olds man.

- I think we'll be kicking off Daredevil tonight. Heard there was some GOT level pain going on there.

- grilled up some marinated pork loin last night. Just perfect. Maple syrup, balsamic, and honey based marinade with thyme, pepper, and salt. Will make some adjustments to it next time but decent marinade.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Nice article on Matthews from TJ today on the front page.

Been saying it for months, but it's like he doesn't even "count". Kid is a Chicago baller who mainly fell b/c he was injured his Jr. summer and wasn't able to participate in a lot of stuff.

He's in the Jordan/Brand game, which is is the better game these days...a proven winner, and as versatile as any wing in the class if you're talking complete game on both ends.

...also underrated that he shared a backcourt with Ulis in AAU, so there is some familiarity & chemistry there.

I still want (and think we need) Brown or Ingram, but I think Matthews is going to be a pleasant surprise to those people (almost everyone) who talks about our class as if he doesn't even exist.

True, Tiger hasn't won a Major in 7 Years!!! But, he won FOURTEEN before that. That's more than Mickelson, Els, and Rory COMBINED. That's just insane, and though he'll never have that kind of success again, he's one of the biggest winners ever. He'll find a way.

He was PGA Tour Player of the Year as recently as 2013.

I don't think he'll win the US Open or PGA again, but I do think he'll win the Masters again. He's always in contention there. He might even win 2 more there. He didn't play last year. He was 17th this year. He was 4th in 2013. 4th in 2010 and 2011 as well.

People like to bitch abotu the PGA Championship as being an easy layout, but there are some low numbers at Augusta, too.

LULZ at people referring to Spieth as "not a very long hitter" with a driving distance of 292+

Feel bad for the F-I-L today. Jordan Spieth was going to go by his school today with the Under Armor guys had he lost yesterday.

I tend to agree with Chad on having some drama to finish but that didn't bother me a bit watching Spieth take care of business. Rose missed a putt on 16 to be within 2, which I think could have made it more interesting but for what that 21 year old did all weekend to the best golfers in the world is plenty enough for me. It doesn't hurt that he's a poised, respectful and generally an easy guy to pull for over some of the other guys like Sergio that people love to hate.

- I just don't find Megan Draper all that attractive. Those teeth. She has her moments (like when she's speaking French) but I don't know.

- Meanwhile, Daenerys
smokin.r191677.gif

The hottest chick (on the show) was Pete's California realtor chick.
eek.r191677.gif

I googled her, and she's hot, but not all that away from the show, which is weird. Looks completely different than I expected in 'real' life.

Her character tho...

I have a feeling people are going to be throwing tomatoes at their TVs over the Mad Men finale.

In related news, I'm really going to miss Justified. The body count in the last episode tomorrow night is probably going to be through the roof.

Justin Anderson declaring...ouch.

They'll still be solid, but there goes one of the few 'obvious' contenders next season. They were basically returning their entire team minus Atkins.

Big blow.

Originally posted by wcc31:
- I just don't find Megan Draper all that attractive. Those teeth. She has her moments (like when she's speaking French) but I don't know.
Google Jessica Pare and Hot Tub Time Machine. Funbags.

Originally posted by B.B.d.K.:
Justin Anderson declaring...ouch.

They'll still be solid, but there goes one of the few 'obvious' contenders next season. They were basically returning their entire team minus Atkins.

Big blow.
So they'll average about 40 points and give up 32 per game next year, and "Numbers Guy" will continue to wax poetic about the "beauty" of their style. COLLEGE BASKETBALL.

Originally posted by Booker Noe:

Originally posted by wcc31:
Google Jessica Pare and Hot Tub Time Machine. Funbags.
Yeah, I've seen them. Obviously, I'm using celebrity standards here.

I'm probably being picky, but I thought Mother Of Dragons looked old & tired on the show last night

like an actress in her 40's hanging out with college basketball players doing yoga and riding them piggyback old & tired

I'd like to see The Masters put something in the fairways of the longer holes that would force either a lay-up or a complete bomb on the drive. Sand doesn't seem to phase these guys so I guess we are left with water or trees(shrubbery). A creek that is about 15 yards wide at the 275 yard range maybe.

Why screw with The Masters at all? -8 to -12 will win most years. -18 is HISTORIC, and it's only been twice, by phenoms.

Lowest scores at The Masters...

-18 Woods
-18 Spieth
-17 Nicklaus
-17 Floyd
-16 Mickelson
-16 Woods

Pretty much a Who's Who.

This post was edited on 4/13 11:14 AM by wildcat1973

Originally posted by UK_Memphis:
I'd like to see The Masters put something in the fairways of the longer holes that would force either a lay-up or a complete bomb on the drive. Sand doesn't seem to phase these guys so I guess we are left with water or trees(shrubbery). A creek that is about 15 yards wide at the 275 yard range maybe.
Huh?
confused0024.r191677.gif

Thoughts on Spieth looking at the hole on shorter putts? Anyone know his 'cut off' for that?

I ask, b/c I played with a new member yesterday who look at the hole on ALL putts, and he was brilliant.

He was a competitive bowler, and said you look at the pins when bowling, look at the hoop when shooting, look at the target when throwing darts, etc, etc -- so why not look at the target while putting? Said when he looked at the ball when putting, he was constantly focused on his stroke and watching the club instead of the ball, stressing about his line and constantly correcting mid-stroke -- which I'm guilty of myself.

Makes sense if you think about it.

Edited to say once again, Chief is awful.
sick.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 4/13 11:18 AM by B.B.d.K.

Originally posted by wildcat1973:
Why screw with The Masters at all? -8 to -12 will win most years. -18 is HISTORIC, and it's only been twice, by phenoms.

Lowest scores at The Masters...

-18 Woods
-18 Spieth
-17 Nicklaus
-17 Floyd
-16 Mickelson
-16 Woods

Pretty much a Who's Who.

This post was edited on 4/13 11:14 AM by wildcat1973
Agree 100% I still don't like the fact they added the second cut. Doesn't come into play much, and isn't very penal for players of that caliber. ANGC was like nothing else in the world when it was nothing fairways, greens, and pine straw.

Originally posted by B.B.d.K.:
Thoughts on Spieth looking at the hole on shorter putts? Anyone know his 'cut off' for that?

I ask, b/c I played with a new member yesterday who look at the hole on ALL putts, and he was brilliant.

He was a competitive bowler, and said you look at the pins when bowling, look at the hoop when shooting, look at the target when throwing darts, etc, etc -- so why not look at the target while putting? Said when he looked at the ball when putting, he was constantly focused on his stroke and watching the club instead of the ball, stressing about his line and constantly correcting mid-stroke -- which I'm guilty of myself.
That makes a ton of sense, actually. Would be a great way to LEARN how to putt, but I bet that would be hard as hell to switch to after doing it the other way your whole life.

ADVERTISEMENT