ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Quick story, my daughter is one year apart from ENG and they had a bunch of mutual friends in town. In February 2019, our family was invited to watch practice in the Craft Center, along with about 20 other people (old former players and their families) all sitting on the sideline.

Before practice started, the players were warming up, and then when Cal called them to order, Cal, to his credit, had his guys form a line and run over and greet each visitor with a handshake, which was cool.

While he was lining up, ENG stuck BOTH hands all the way down the front of his shorts and adjusted himself, then moments later, came over to shake hands with everyone (my daughter noticed, so we all declined).

Ugh. 🤮

How Mark Pope went the extra mile to land transfer Andrew Carr at Kentucky

By Kyle Tucker
In the lobby of the men’s basketball office inside the Joe Craft Center, Pope asked Carr to visualize flipping the number eight in a display about Kentucky’s national championships to a number nine. He described — from personal experience as captain of the Wildcats’ 1996 title team — what it’s like when they raise a new banner at Rupp Arena.
“Being in that moment, it really hits you about what you’re able to accomplish there and how special the place is,” Carr says. “Coach Pope does a great job of displaying the great tradition of Kentucky and how much it means to the fans and the state, and that we’re playing for that ninth banner. You can really tell how much an impact this place and the people around it made on him and how he just wants that for me — I can feel that — and he wants that for everybody who plays there.”
popes.jpeg

Great defense
Great speed
Can play all 3 outfield spots
Strong arm

I know his bat is suspect, but every winning team has a role player or two like Stu Fairchild on the roster.

Reactions: jayroon
Perfectly fine with Butler as our main PG. IMO a defensive pest disrupting the other teams flow is exactly what we’ll need to be a great team. I’d have given a lot to keep Wagner for this reason.

With Williams/Garrison protecting the rim and post and being competent against PnR I think we’ll have the defense where it’s needed in todays game.

Let's be honest. Mark Pope is going to be a Ned Flanders-style grade-A magnum prick to the SEC and other powers that be. If he's Tubby-level good (which I think is a fair expectation and one we should all be happy if he achieves) and keeps up the good, clean Mensa fun --> we're going to be LOATHED.

And I love it.

Mark Pope's coaches show:

First caller, "When is Perry going to get in."

Pope goes to the blackboard, "Let us say that the function y = x^2 + 4 represents the effectiveness of a given player, and let x = minutes played. NOW, if we take the first derivative, and graph the slo.." (caller hangs up)

Last edited:
Let's be honest. Mark Pope is going to be a Ned Flanders-style grade-A magnum prick to the SEC and other powers that be. If he's Tubby-level good (which I think is a fair expectation and one we should all be happy if he achieves) and keeps up the good, clean Mensa fun --> we're going to be LOATHED.

And I love it.
Bonuses: the national cbb media love Pope, and I'm sure the refs don't hate him like they hated Cal's stupid antics (justifiably so).

What a complete breath of fresh air.

Plus, he is forging a new identity of determination and overachievement, which we have not had in many years.

Pump the brakes!!
Gotta figure out a way for generational wealth and growth for the draft.
Then bitch when Perry scores 57 but doesn’t start.
Who’s gonna be the screaming idiot on the sidelines?

Still lots of work to be done. Hopefully they get it figured out before the big tweak in January.

The masks they wear are not for Covid I don’t think, they’re to not be identified as in my brother, monickered the “Denim Dad” via the FBI, because he was walking around and participating in the Jan 6 crap with jeans a denim jacket and no face covering. Looking like any old dad out there.

He was so easy to pick out like a dumbass because everyone else was wearing masks.

Mark Pope's coaches show:

First caller, "When is Perry going to get in."

Pope goes to the blackboard, "Let us say that the function y = x^2 + 4 represents the effectiveness of a given player, and let x = minutes played. NOW, if we take the first derivative, and graph the slo.." (caller hangs up)

Lord knows I just did. While maybe not completely accurate it is nice to have a coach with a new voice and willing to embrace the direction that the game has gone.

• Haha
Reactions: HymanKaplan
Cal's House for Sale

Iconic design and stature; this Ashland Park estate is now available for sale. Situated on 1.2 acres in the heart of Lexington, this home and pool house exude tradition and style. Through the gated driveway, enter the grand foyer with a staircase, flanked by formal living and formal dining rooms.

Continue to an open concept great room with 2-story stone fireplace and chef's kitchen with a large island . Step out to the 4-seasons room to overlook the grounds, which include a pool, half court basketball court, pool house and 3-car garage. This home is perfect for entertaining!The primary bedroom is located on the first floor complete with dual bathrooms and closets.

Upstairs you'll find an additional 4 bedrooms all with ensuite bathrooms and large closets. The bonus room is on the third floor for extra recreational space. The basement features a kitchenette, projection TV and work-out room. The grounds are private and secure, with brick and iron fencing a gated driveway and mature landscaping. This sale includes 2 separate parcels.

This is an opportunity to own a piece of Kentucky history!Additional Info: Living space over 3 car garage includes bedroom, living room, kitchenette and bathroom. Pool house includes kitchenette, bathroom and changing area.

This square footage is not included in the finished square footage of the main house. This sale includes 2 separate parcels; 1732 Richmond Road (main house) and 1736 Richmond Road (pool house and basketball court)

Half court basketball court? He wanted a practice facility and all he put in for Brad was half court? Hell my best friend growing up had a full court and his dad was a real used car salesman not some hall of fame coach pretending to be one.

On paper we have a team that can compete.

Tubby dropping 36 on Tipton and the media in pick up basketball was a game made for today's social media.

Grandpa UK legend coach. Dad UK legend on football field. Uncle a solid player for UK football. Is there anyway we don't get Jasper Johnson? No way Pope can afford to miss on this one. He was born blue.

Lexi Blue should get major NIL money for her name alone.

Lord knows I just did. While maybe not completely accurate it is nice to have a coach with a new voice and willing to embrace the direction that the game has gone.
Well, it was meant to be humorous, not a Calculus I lecture, but I get your point Poindexter. LOL

But I'm perfectly willing to delve into higher mathematics if anybody feels froggy. :)

Reactions: august-west

How Mark Pope went the extra mile to land transfer Andrew Carr at Kentucky

By Kyle Tucker
In the lobby of the men’s basketball office inside the Joe Craft Center, Pope asked Carr to visualize flipping the number eight in a display about Kentucky’s national championships to a number nine. He described — from personal experience as captain of the Wildcats’ 1996 title team — what it’s like when they raise a new banner at Rupp Arena.
“Being in that moment, it really hits you about what you’re able to accomplish there and how special the place is,” Carr says. “Coach Pope does a great job of displaying the great tradition of Kentucky and how much it means to the fans and the state, and that we’re playing for that ninth banner. You can really tell how much an impact this place and the people around it made on him and how he just wants that for me — I can feel that — and he wants that for everybody who plays there.”
popes.jpeg
Damn. That is a hell of a damn story.

Oh, in case nobody noticed, UK Football got a commit from the highests ranked RB in their history.

The fact this went relatively unnoticed while we unanimously and wholeheartedly celebrate signing Koby Brea and our very own *Estonian asshole to go get buckets tells us who we really are.

Basketball is our very soul here - Cal almost made us forget that.

Last edited:
Despite all the talk that Cal was trying to leverage the Arkansas offer into UK increasing available NIL, I've always thought that if you read between the lines, what he *really* was after was to bring ENG on staff, as you said.

I don't have any sources, but that all lines up with what you said, especially that Cal started the process of trying to bring on ENG even before the Arkansas offer.

Cal is now in the stage of life that he can turn his focus from all of his surrogate / proxy sons and make up for lost time with his own poor little d-bag who apparently has a full-scale back tattoo of himself playing ball with the daddy who always ignored him.

As you said, Good Riddance. Enjoy Fayetteville. GNE.
I can tell you 100% according to someone that is friends with the Calipari’s and works in the UK athletic office it was about Brad.

That’s why he left. So I thank God for ENG.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT