ADVERTISEMENT

Great UK historian Russell Rice passed away today (Link)

BurpinTurpin

Senior
Mar 20, 2009
He was 90 years old. I remember his columns in the old print version of The Cats Pause. I'll miss him.

"Longtime University of Kentucky Athletics administrator William Russell Rice, 90, who authored definitive histories of the Wildcats basketball and football programs, died Friday.

Rice spent 20 years — 1967 to 1987 — with UK Athletics, including 18 years as sports information director.

For more than 20 years afterward, he wrote a column for The Cats' Pause, and he wrote several books, such as Adolph Rupp: Kentucky's Basketball Baron, published in 1994, and University of Kentucky Basketball Vault, published in 2008."

http://www.kentucky.com/2015/05/30/3877381_renowned-uk-athletics-historian.html?rh=1
(Not a Tipton article)

Reactions: lacocat
I remember he had some other book that was like an encyclopedia about Kentucky basketball. It would have had to come out in the early eighties. I checked that thing out of the school library continuously. Re-read that book over and over again.

Sorry to hear that. I have Big Blue Machine originally from 1976, I have the 1978 revised version.
RIP RR.

This is a sad day for UK and UK sports.

I first met Mr. Rice in 1976. A friend and I went to Lexington to spend a day at the University. We attended football practice; sat and talked to Joe B. Hall about basketball; and, sat and talked with Mr. Rice about UK sports for quiet a while. It was like Christmas in August!!

I have the Big Blue Machine that he autographed for me. He also got Coach Rupp, Coach Hall and a few UK basketball players to autograph the book for me. I have missed his Cats Pause articles.

Russell Rice was a very nice person. My prayers and condolences go out to his family and friends.

Authored a couple of essential historical reads for the UK sports fan: 'The Wildcats'(football) and 'Big Blue Machine'(basketball).

One of my favorite evocative excerpts from Russell Rice:

"Rupp was no inspirational coach in the Knute Rockne mold. During pregame warmups, he watched the other team, observing how the players moved and too their shots. In the dressing room, he gave his starters the numbers of the men they were to guard and told them what plays to run. There were no pep talks; he wanted his players to go on to the floor poised, cool of nerve, and keen of judgment, not nervous or excited. The team took the floor in a pecking order that never varied: team captain and players, support personnel, assistant coaches, and Rupp. He entered after the last bar of the national anthem; it was more dramatic that way. His quick eye noted whether the managers had folded the towels correctly and distributed the right quantity of chewing gum. There was a place for everything, and everything had to be in its place. At intermission, he would hang his coat in the first locker, use the urinal, wash his hands, and then talk to the boys. When the occasion warranted it, he delivered scorching criticism; then he would hand the chalk to his assistant."

Rice, Russell. Adolph Rupp: Kentucky’s Basketball Baron. Illinois: Sagamore Publishing, 1994.

Rest in peace, Mr. Rice.

Also,a marine who fought in the Pacific during WWII. In spite of all the praise he got for being kind and gracious with his time,, he had to be one tough son of a gun when warranted!

I still have several of his books as he had lots of knowledge about UK basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT