ADVERTISEMENT

Great Beer

Don't usually post here unless I have had something fantastic and new lately. It had been a while since something rocked my world. I got some Lagunitas Little Sumphin' Ale last weeek. It was what I would term a mixture of a spicy wheat and an IPA. It had that bitter edge, but the spice knocked the pineapple taste totally out of it. It had that bitter bite and the ginger finish of a true German wheat. Excellent brew and 7.5% abv @ $9.99 for a 6-pack.

I've drank 7 different styles by Lagunitas, but have yet to try Little Sumphin'. It is on my list.

Some new releases available nationally which you may already find in your area:

Abita - Bourbon Street Biere de Mars
Abita - Naughty Quaker Ale
Abita - Wrought Iron IPA
Dos Equis - Invierno Winter Bock
Stone - 18th Anniversary
Stone - Coffee Milk Stout
Stone - Hibiscusicity
Stone - Xocoveza Mocha Stout

I look forward to trying Abita Quaker Ale (an oatmeal stout) and Stone stouts (Coffee Milk Stout + Xocoveza Mocha Stout).

Business Insider: The 15 Best Pumpkin Beers In The US. Shock Top? Seriously?

15. SHOCK TOP - Pumpkin Wheat (5.2% ABV)

14. HEARTLAND - Imperial Smiling Pumpkin Ale (8% ABV)

13. HARPOON - UFO Pumpkin (5.9% ABV)

12. CONEY ISLAND - Freaktoberfest (6.6% ABV)

11. SCHLAFLY - Pumpkin Ale (8% ABV)

10. SOUTHERN TIER - Pumking (8.6% ABV)

9. CIGAR CITY - Good Gourd Imperial Pumpkin Ale (8.5% ABV)

8. AVERY - Rumpkin (16.7% ABV)

7. ELYSIAN - Night Owl Pumpkin Ale (5.9% ABV)

6. ITHACA - Country Pumpkin (6.3% ABV)

5. MIDNIGHT SUN - T.R.E.A.T. Imperial Chocolate Pumpkin Porter (7.8% ABV)

4/3. ALMANAC - Dark Pumpkin Sour (7% ABV), and Heirloom Pumpkin Barleywine (12% ABV)

2. DOGFISH HEAD - Punkin Ale (7% ABV)

1. STEVENS POINT - Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale (7.5% ABV)

That list is trash. That Dogfish head Punkin is easily in the top 5 worst things I've ever had to drink in my life and I like pumpkins beers.

images

^ worship.

2 questions:

1.) What's the difference between the Nitro and the Regular of this? I know the Nitro bottle is cooler, so that's good enough for me. :)

2.) Can anyone recommend some similar offerings? Seems like most other stouts I've tried are way too 'thick' and bold flavored. Love the smoothness of this one compared to any other I've tried in the general genre.

Originally posted by AustinTXCat:
Craft beer is according to this report.
Interested to know the 9

1) ATG
2) apocalypse
3) Falls City
4) Great Flood
5) Cumberland
6) New Albanian
7) Red Yeti (which I don't think even brews yet)

What are the two I'm missing? And That's assuming 6 and 7 are included in that statement since they're across the river.

Bluegrass Brewing Company (BBC) is one you are missing. Here is a list of others preparing to open.

http://louisvillebeer.com/louisville-breweries/new-kentucky-breweries-2014/

This post was edited on 10/15 1:54 PM by DSmith21

How'd I overlook them? I was just there last week lol. Not one of my favorites. But one of the more popular in town apparently.

BBC is probably the oldest microbrewery in Louisville and has a pretty good location. The beer is so, so. The name Fall City is older but it is a reincarnation of the original.

Originally posted by DSmith21:
BBC is probably the oldest microbrewery in Louisville and has a pretty good location. The beer is so, so. The name Fall City is older but it is a reincarnation of the original.
They have 5 or so locations somehow. The one downtown is in a great location, but otherwise I don't see how theyre that popular.

The original location is St. Matthews which was good because its in an entertainment zone with a bunch of very different bars. That location pre-dates a lot of the downtown revitalization too. BBC was also the first to get the big box liquor stores and local restaurants to carry their beer over a decade ago.

Originally posted by B.B.d.K.:

images

^ worship.

2 questions:

1.) What's the difference between the Nitro and the Regular of this? I know the Nitro bottle is cooler, so that's good enough for me. :)

2.) Can anyone recommend some similar offerings? Seems like most other stouts I've tried are way too 'thick' and bold flavored. Love the smoothness of this one compared to any other I've tried in the general genre.
1) If you were asking about recipe, conditioning, etc. ignore this. But if you are asking about nitrous oxide beer then I have your answer. That link explains it in better detail, but basically it is carbonated with N(2) instead of CO(2). Makes it creamier. Think Guinness.

2) Did you try the Founder's Breakfast Stout? May be too bold flavored with the chocolate and all, but I don't think it is "thick" in the way you are talking about. Stone's IRS, Old Rasputin, and Goose Island's coffee stout are others that may fit in with that.*

*Disclosure. I've never had the Left Hand nitro so I'm just pointing out beers that I think sound like what you are looking for. I can't say for certain they will be like that brew.

Oh yeah, Breakfast Stout may be the most delicious beer I've ever had. Never want more than 1-2, but it's delicious.

I can drink those Nitros by the 6 no problem tho, which I haven't even been able to come close to with any other...

Do you fox with any porters? Give you a stout profile, just turned down a couple notches.

I didn't go back and look, but has anyone tried West 6th's latest offering of the "Pay it Forward" Porter?

I haven't really been impressed by their Lemongrass Wheat or Amber, although I am a huge fan of their IPA.

th

I've manged to get some of this. A buddy of mine brought me one back from Va. a few months ago and I loved it, but had not been able to find it around here. Somebody brought me a sixer of it from Illinois. If you are a fan of citra hops then you'll love this one, although hard to come by.

Originally posted by jcrow10:
I didn't go back and look, but has anyone tried West 6th's latest offering of the "Pay it Forward" Porter?

I haven't really been impressed by their Lemongrass Wheat or Amber, although I am a huge fan of their IPA.
The flavor of that porter is pretty solid - a little smoke, lots of chocolate - a decent porter. The body is lacking though. Pretty thin and watery. Not bad by any means, just needed a little more substance IMO.

As for BBC, they are a decent brewery, but they're lazy. They brew the same beers over and over and over and rarely go for anything "edgy" or different. Most of the newer breweries at least try to have a rotating brew or two that gives them some character outside of their regulars, but BBC just plod on with the SSDD approach.

Every once in a while they will toss out something unique, but 9 visits out of 10 the selection is APA, IPA, Alt, Kolsch, and that mead thing and not much else.

Austin TX folks: Hat Creek Burger Company on Burnett Road offers craft beer specials on Thursday and Fridays. 16-oz drafts cost $1 all day on Thursdays and $2 all day on Fridays. Beers include Odell Brewing 90 Shilling, Harpoon UFO White, Magic Hat #9 and Real Ale Firemans #4. Burgers are warm and tasty. The beer deal speaks for itself. Thank me later.

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout is an incredible beer, a classic. One of my favorite beers.

samuel-smiths-imperial-stout.jpg

Oh, I know, Austin. It's hands down my favorite beer out there but hard for me to find.

Originally posted by HeismanCatNole85:
Oh, I know, Austin. It's hands down my favorite beer out there but hard for me to find.
Really? Dude, sorry to hear it. I have all kinds of "seek out thine Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue) and thou shalt reap thine just rewards" stories. Found 750 ml flasks cheap in obscure places like Publix supermaket in Marathon, FL and for under $10 at a neighborhood grocery store in Austin, and also at Pappy's on the KY border in Ewing, VA near Middlesboro. For a high-quality Trappist ale, availability in the USA occasionally appears somewhat surreal.

When less than 18 months old, I personally prefer Chimay White over Blue. One of the keys in relation to Blue is all about aging. The stuff cellars super well and improves around the 5 year mark.

Dream beer trip in 2016 = Belgian Trappist Ale expedition.

Currently drinking on a sixer of Bell's Best Brown Ale waiting on UK-LSU. Wont be my last. Great beer. Very smooth. One of the best Fall beers I have ever drank. 5.8% and was only $10.99 at Wildcat Liquor in Somerset. Still trying to find some KY Pumpkin Barrel Ale.

Had Mill Street organic lager in Ann Arbor last weekend. It is brewed in Toronto, and was absolutely killer. Very smooth and top notch. I am going to see if Liquor Barn has it or can get it.

Originally posted by AustinTXCat:
America's best craft breweries: the state-by-state breakdown.

I have yet to try anything produced by Against the Grain. For that matter, I still have not sampled brew from Jester King here in TX even though the brewery is not far from here. Perhaps next month.
Rogue for Oregon?
sick.r191677.gif
No thanks. I would have also had Schlafly or Boulevard for Missouri (is Boulevard in the Missouri side of Kansas City or the Kansas side?)

Also, Grand Teton was a bad choice for Idaho. Selkirk Abbey beats it by a mile. JMO obviously

Could nit pick a few other choices, but those jumped out at me as the most obviously wrong to me

Almost picked up some Dubhe Imperial Black IPA today...instead I went with Lagunitas Maximus IPA.

The Maximus is good, not as hoppy as I would've thought/liked. Anyone tried the Dubhe?

This post was edited on 11/2 6:39 PM by jcrow10

Yesterday, just before the UTexas-WVa game, I attended a free, private tailgate party sponsored by Brown Distributing Co. of Austin. 42 different beers were available for sampling in 2 oz cups; I tried 24. These samples have not been counted in my Untappd total. Oh, and fajitas and wursts were also complimentary.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

My favorite of the bunch: Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. While visiting relatives back in July, I tried KY Bourbon Barrel Stout and considered it unimpressive. But this ale tasted really good.

The event included many brewery reps on hand. Had a great time.

Founders Dark Penance is excellent.

Black IPA, hoppy & portery.

Must try. 5*.

Originally posted by Kooky Kats:
Founders Dark Penance is excellent.

Black IPA, hoppy & portery.

Must try. 5*.
Damn straight. Isn't that thing an Imperial Black IPA? It's the best black IPA that I've ever had. I usually not much for them, but that one is great.

ADVERTISEMENT