ADVERTISEMENT

Great Beer

Originally posted by phyrekat:
I just added Untappd to my phone in May. Since then, I've only checked in beers that I've drank since I added it. Not sure how I feel about going back and adding ones that I drank before then - it almost feels like cheating.
I have managed to check in 70 distinct beers in that time, so I figure I'll eventually catch up on most of what I have drank in the past (except for the Schaefer, Goebel and Black label - just can't bring myself to suffer throught those again...)
Love the app though. It's a great way to keep track of what i want to go back and drink again.
And I agree with the earlier post about the Stone's Sublimely Slef-Righteous. Awesome brew. If you like that one, you should try the Uinta Dubhe.
Man, that ain't cheating. That's called keeping track. Don't be a Native American endower. Those beers you drank happened. Now, do the right thing and go spend the 6 hours that I did and plug every beer you've chugged.

Come'on man, do the right thing.

Originally posted by AustinTXCat:
Yuengling just released a Bock. I have not tried the beer because Yuengling is unavailable in Texas, but KY and FL should have no problemo..
Yuenlging is not available in KY. It is in TN.

OK, but I don't know that 6 hours will be enough time. BTW, my untappd username is phyrekat, and I'm pathetically lacking in friends, so feel free...LOL.
I do like beer. And I've finally started brewing my own so I can play mad scientist with the hops and stuff.
Originally posted by Willy4UK:
I just added Untappd to my phone in May. Since then, I've only checked in beers that I've drank since I added it. Not sure how I feel about going back and adding ones that I drank before then - it almost feels like cheating.
I have managed to check in 70 distinct beers in that time, so I figure I'll eventually catch up on most of what I have drank in the past (except for the Schaefer, Goebel and Black label - just can't bring myself to suffer throught those again...)
Love the app though. It's a great way to keep track of what i want to go back and drink again.
And I agree with the earlier post about the Stone's Sublimely Slef-Righteous. Awesome brew. If you like that one, you should try the Uinta Dubhe.
Man, that ain't cheating. That's called keeping track. Don't be a Native American endower. Those beers you drank happened. Now, do the right thing and go spend the 6 hours that I did and plug every beer you've chugged.

Come'on man, do the right thing.

Originally posted by tammefan:

Yuengling just released a Bock. I have not tried the beer because Yuengling is unavailable in Texas, but KY and FL should have no problemo..
Yuenlging is not available in KY. It is in TN.
Really? Wow. Also available in SW Virginia, as I drank several while visiting there last month.

Nearly all of my beers were tracked here on Great Beer threads 1-3. This is the third Great Beer thread since December, 2011. Plus, prior to posting on Untappd, I started posting pics here beginning last year.

By the way, I have tried 69 unique beers since June 24th of this year. My Untappd username is Beerhunter101.

OK. I;'m catching my beers up. It's hard to recall all of them, and I'm sure I won't be able to remember even half of them (alcohol effect, you know). I sent you a friend request Austin.

If you have not had Victory Brewing's Dirtwolf double IPA you have to try this one, definitely world class.

Weused- good beer. Dirt Wolf is def nice. But their single IPA Hop Devil gives me a headache

Originally posted by weused2luvhim2:
If you have not had Victory Brewing's Dirtwolf double IPA you have to try this one, definitely world class.
We can get Victory down here. Another I must add to my "must try" list. Probably goes great with spicy TexMex food.
I would think it would. It's pricey here, not the worst. But $15.99 a 4 pack.

Had Dirt Wolf yesterday. Very good brew. Had the Golden Monkey a while back. Also a winner.

We can get Victory down here. Another I must add to my "must try" list. Probably goes great with spicy TexMex food.
I would think it would. It's pricey here, not the worst. But $15.99 a 4 pack.

Man, any of you MF'ers know what makes a beer an Imperial? What's the process difference

Originally posted by TransyCat09:
Wish some of you tricks would make it up to the Northwest. Completely different scene than anywhere else. Breweries in every little small town, many without the "craft" ethos, per se. People just like to drink beer and so they make it close to home.

You're just a likely to see a 60 year old truck driver drinking an Imperial IPA/Breakfast Stout/ESB as you are some fixed gear riding mustached hipster. This grungy ass and non-ironic bowling alley I was at the other day was serving draft local microbrew right along with the Bud and Miller.
I think most here will agree the Northwest is the best region for beer. I don't think there's much debate for that. But what about 2nd best in terms of region? Southeast? Southwest? Central?

I may be baised, but I'm going with the Northeast for #2. Ommegang, Magic Hat, Lake Placid, Cooperstown/Butternuts, Smuttynose, Blue Point, Yuengling, Harpoon, Sam Adams, etc. And those are the bigger oens for the most part. There have been about 5-6 breweries sprouting up in upstate, N.Y. Also, giving them the nod because we don't really have an identifiable liquor. Whiskeys, Rum, Tequila, Brandy.. all can be narrowed to a home other than the Northeast.

Lastly, You're in a generic bar. Could be a dive, could be a beach bar. Is there a safer bet than Sam Adams/SA Seasonal? Yes, there are better beers, but I'm talking about those bars that have 5 taps and a few bottles of Coors somewhere (am I the only one who still goes to these bars?). No other legitimate choices. Sam Adams, as much as I hate anything Boston, is a pretty solid beer for one you can get anywhere across America. And their seasonal beers are admittedly pretty damn good too.

If anyone happens to be passing through the NW Indiana / Chicago areas and is looking for a great brewery, I highly recommend slipping over to Miller Beach, IN and dropping by 18th Street Brewery. Amazing brews, and the owner/brewer is making a serious name for himself with the quality of the beers and his collaborations with other breweries.

After making multiple attempts at getting into my former favorite brewery up that way - Three Floyds - and finding a two hour wait as early as 1pm, we shifted our attention to 18th Street and have not been disappointed. The Floyd is dead to me now, mostly because you can't get in the place, but also because the beers at 18th are much more reliable. Three Floyds is hit or miss with their stuff, but I've never had a miss at 18th.

They recently did a Double IPA collaboration with Mikkeller called Grapefruit Dead that vaulted right to the top of my "favorite IPAs" list. Absolutely incredible beer.

They bottle some brews and sell them on premises and in many local stores, but they go fast.

http://www.18thstreetbrewery.com/

Originally posted by Wesley91581:
Well it's that time of the year for pumpkin beers to start popping up.

What's everyone's favorite fall/pumpkin beer?
I recommend staying away from Dogfish Head's pumpkin, it's the worst I've ever had.
Rack. Pumpking is by the best IMO
Finally tried Southern Tier Pumpking. It freakin' rocks! Spicy. Robust. Heck, yeah!

pumpking.jpg

Beers I tried this weekend. Found these at Liquor Barn in Beaumont Center.

Rivertown Pumpkin Ale- Was wanting to try a Pumpkin Ale. This brewery is in Cincy so thought I would give it a try. Was expecting this to beer to be heavy on flavor but it was light. Might actually be a good thing. Just a hint of sweetness with dark sugars and spices.

Bells Amber Ale- One of their year round and most popular beers. For some reason i had never tried it. Great beer I could drink with any meal or just tailgating. Would be perfect in cans.

Sam Adams- Octoberfest- First one I drink every year just makes me think football is almost here. My go to beer every fall.

I think Transy letting us know about that beer app is turning me into a full blown alcoholic. haha

Here's a few of the justifications I keep telling my wife.

"But honey, If I drink 12 more I will unlock a new badge"
"But honey according to the app, I have never had this one before"
"But honey, you know, this is only my first one of the day"
"But honey, you know that's a new beer by my favorite brewery"
"But honey, I need to drink these different beers so I learn more about beer"

Has anyone tried this one yet?
Evil-Twin-Molotov-Cocktail.jpg

Tried a sample at whole foods last weekend...thought it was great...had a smooth finish that tasted like honey. Wife wouldn't let me get a growler though...stopped by the liquor store over the weekend and picked up a 4-pack, only $13.99 which I thought was a good price considering the ABV is 13% ---->
eek.r191677.gif

Originally posted by krd7_99:
Has anyone tried this one yet?
ec

Tried a sample at whole foods last weekend...thought it was great...had a smooth finish that tasted like honey. Wife wouldn't let me get a growler though...stopped by the liquor store over the weekend and picked up a 4-pack, only $13.99 which I thought was a good price considering the ABV is 13% ---->
eek.r191677.gif
Thanks for the heads up on that one. I love Evil Twin. I bet that beer is effing great. Will be looking out for it.

"But honey, Krd7 said this beer was good. I have to try it"

Schafly has a great pumpkin ale. 8% and quite tasty. I like it a little better than Pumking. Worth a try.

With it being pumpkin beer time, let me just throw this out there. Stay away from Dogfish Head Punkin, just awful

If you like English ales, this is the one..............

FESB08.jpg

This post was edited on 8/19 5:12 PM by DSmith21

Sampled couple more pumpkin beers yesterday. Really want to try Shipyard and UFO before the season ends.

Anderson Valley Fall Hornin': Includes pumpkin, cinnamon and gingerbread notes. While this brew may not jump out at you like Pumking, nevertheless, it is a very solid, high-quality interpretation of the style. Definite A.

FallHornin.jpg

Alaskan Pumpkin Porter: 7 % ABV. Good, yet somewhat disappointing. At times this beer seemed watery and inconsistent. Spices really are not aggressive as other beers of similar style. B+

AlaskanPumpkinPorter.jpg

Which 5 states drink the most beer?

Picked up 4 of these Thursday night because I needed a stout for Pepper Stout Beef. Drank 3 that night and came close to nailing my cooking bottle. Good stuff. $15.99, 11%alc by vol. Very smooth and flavorful. Easy to pick out coffee, chocolate, and vanilla. I'm sure you beer guys have had this before, but for those that haven't and like stouts, give it a drink.

beer_14621.jpg

Originally posted by tammefan:
Heard Sam Adams Octoberfest was out. One of my favorite beers of all time. Even as I have become more of a beer snob I still go back to Octoberfest.
Yeah, I agree. Their Octoberfest is pretty damn good. Ya know, I'm not much on Sam Adams, but they make the most variety of beers in the U.S. But there is something about the taste. Except the Octoberfest. That's great. Now, I'll drink a Sams when I eating a cheap steak at Logans, but I usually don't drink it.
I agree with everything you said.

Originally posted by TKE_:

Yeah, I agree. Their Octoberfest is pretty damn good. Ya know, I'm not much on Sam Adams, but they make the most variety of beers in the U.S. But there is something about the taste. Except the Octoberfest. That's great. Now, I'll drink a Sams when I eating a cheap steak at Logans, but I usually don't drink it.
cool0003.r191677.gif

hahahah so I commented on Sixpoint's Tesla beer on Untappd. Here was my post about it. "Every person the planet needs to enjoy this beer. Even dead Ebola victims. Just pour it in their mouth, I'm sure they'll appreciate it".

and Sixpoint brewery commented back on my post with "wow"

hahahahahhahahahahaha

Originally posted by TKE_:

cool0003.r191677.gif

hahahah so I commented on Sixpoint's Tesla beer on Untappd. Here was my post about it. "Every person the planet needs to enjoy this beer. Even dead Ebola victims. Just pour it in their mouth, I'm sure they'll appreciate it".

hahahahahhahahahahaha
laugh.r191677.gif

Sixpoint also toasted your check-in. Too funny.

cool0003.r191677.gif

hahahahahhahahahahaha
laugh.r191677.gif

Sixpoint also toasted your check-in. Too funny.
laugh.r191677.gif
I just caught that. hahaha

Six Point is lurking me... They just toasted my last check in....

I'm scared.

Originally posted by Kooky Kats:
Six Point is lurking me... They just toasted my last check in....

I'm scared.
laugh.r191677.gif

Believe it or not, I almost took a gig with a distributor representing Sixpoint here in Austin. Pays $15/hour for giving out free samples at various area stores. I need a TABC servers license and definitely a haircut. Perhaps next year.

Wish some of you tricks would make it up to the Northwest. Completely different scene than anywhere else. Breweries in every little small town, many without the "craft" ethos, per se. People just like to drink beer and so they make it close to home.

You're just a likely to see a 60 year old truck driver drinking an Imperial IPA/Breakfast Stout/ESB as you are some fixed gear riding mustached hipster. This grungy ass and non-ironic bowling alley I was at the other day was serving draft local microbrew right along with the Bud and Miller.
Nothing better than PNW beer scene. No better state than Oregon imo. Here in Eugene alone, we have a number of local breweries. No food, just beer and good beer at that.

Just picked up a sixer of Cougar Bait at Wildcat Liquor in Somerset. First time trying anything Country Boy. Pretty damn good.

Apparently Oasis Beverages, a Russian conglomerate, is purchasing Pabst Brewing Co.

... Besides the familiar Pabst Blue Ribbon label, Pabst Brewing Co. makes Colt 45, Old Milwaukee and Schlitz. It also makes regional brews such as Lone Star, Rainier and Old Style. . . .
I've drank all these except Rainier. Old Style, for an adjunct, is actually not too bad when served cold. Lone Star blows.

@Willy: According to this blog post dated 09/05/14, eight (8) new breweries/brew pubs are coming to the Orlando area. Given the huge nearby UCF and Rollins populations, one can only wonder what took so long. Hopefully one or two more are open upon my arrival this coming December.
party0012.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT