ADVERTISEMENT

Great Beer

Originally posted by Willy4UK:

Originally posted by AustinTXCat:

Question: local beer store, Pappy's in Ewing VA, has Dogfish Head 120 for $42 a 4-pack. Should I go for it while here?
Can you buy singles of it? I'd buy one or two singles if you can. GD beer is starting to reach 1980 cocaine prices.
Saw some Founder's Devil Dancer Friday for $25 a 4 pack. Never tried it, but couldn't bring myself to do it.

Originally posted by weused2luvhim2:

Saw some Founder's Devil Dancer Friday for $25 a 4 pack. Never tried it, but couldn't bring myself to do it.

That's why I only bought 1-12 oz bottle for $5.99

My "Crappy Beer" Rant for the Month.

So I arrive in Bowling Green KY on 7/11 around noon. Walk across the street from the bus station and grab two bottles of beer at the Pit Stop on Louisville Rd. Paid $3 for the Shiner Bock and $2 for a PBR. Damn PBR gave me a headache, too. But please wait as I get to the juicy part.

Old Cous' picks me up at Pit Stop after he gets off work and drives us over to Chuck's wine/beer/liquor on Louisville Rd just a bit further down the hwy. I purchase $40 worth of beer.

6 pk of Schlalfy Wheat
2 bottles Breckenridge - 1 Amber, 1 summer
6 pk of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout
1 22 oz Abita Abbey Ale
1 12 oz Left Hand Porter

We drive 38 miles to ole cous' place on Nolin Lake near Anneta. It is hot out, so I put the Schlalfy Wheat in the freezer. After 30 min, I open the bottle to taste the most gad awful wheat imaginable. Then I look at the label.

"Bottled on 12-27-2012".

All 6 bottles bore the same date. I was madder than hell. One bottle of Breckenridge had a 2012 date and tasted similar to panther urine, while the Abita Abbey Ale bomber read "Best by 04-14-14". Left Hand Porter indicated "bottled on 4-17-14". It was okay.

Unacceptable. Chuck's is gonna hear from me. Three stores are in the Bowling Green area. I leave Bowling Green tomorrow for Nashville, and back to Austin from there.

Please check the labels when purchasing beer. Stronger beer in dark glass bottles usually holds up well after long-term storage away from UV light. Many folks clamor for aged beer if properly stored. But this is not true for beer with lower alcohol content.

Damn Austin. I started laughing, then I realized how much that sucked green donkey balls. Sorry, to hear about that.

That's a great reminder. Will make sure I check them better. Who knows, I may have not liked a new beer due to the expiration date.

Thanks, bro. Last year, at a beer store located in SW Virginia on the Tri-state border, I got burned on a 6 of some other wheat that was over a year old. I should have paid better attention out here in central KY.

Hope life has been good for y'all since July 4. I've tried 15 different beers since then. The Breckenridge Amber, Schlafly and Abita Abbey were all write-offs. I left the other Breckenridge in cous' fridge.

Thanks, bro. Last year, at a beer store located in SW Virginia on the Tri-state border, I got burned on a 6 of some other wheat that was over a year old. I should have paid better attention out here in central KY.

Hope life has been good for y'all since July 4. I've tried 15 different beers since then. The Breckenridge Amber, Schlafly and Abita Abbey were all write-offs. I left the other Breckenridge in cous' fridge.
Breckenridge 471 is good. I won't try the others based your rec.

Texas must beer a beer haven

Breckenridge 471 is good. I won't try the others based your rec.

Texas must beer a beer haven
A good thing about Austin Texas is, brew pubs not included, we host 10 local breweries. We also see lots and lots of folks relocate from California and from up north (New England, Michigan). The beer follows them. Beer availability rocks, for sure.

My "Crappy Beer" Rant for the Month.

So I arrive in Bowling Green KY on 7/11 around noon. Walk across the street from the bus station and grab two bottles of beer at the Pit Stop on Louisville Rd. Paid $3 for the Shiner Bock and $2 for a PBR. Damn PBR gave me a headache, too. But please wait as I get to the juicy part.

Old Cous' picks me up at Pit Stop after he gets off work and drives us over to Chuck's wine/beer/liquor on Louisville Rd just a bit further down the hwy. I purchase $40 worth of beer.

6 pk of Schlalfy Wheat
2 bottles Breckenridge - 1 Amber, 1 summer
6 pk of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout
1 22 oz Abita Abbey Ale
1 12 oz Left Hand Porter

We drive 38 miles to ole cous' place on Nolin Lake near Anneta. It is hot out, so I put the Schlalfy Wheat in the freezer. After 30 min, I open the bottle to taste the most gad awful wheat imaginable. Then I look at the label.

"Bottled on 12-27-2012".

All 6 bottles bore the same date. I was madder than hell. One bottle of Breckenridge had a 2012 date and tasted similar to panther urine, while the Abita Abbey Ale bomber read "Best by 04-14-14". Left Hand Porter indicated "bottled on 4-17-14". It was okay.

Unacceptable. Chuck's is gonna hear from me. Three stores are in the Bowling Green area. I leave Bowling Green tomorrow for Nashville, and back to Austin from there.

Please check the labels when purchasing beer. Stronger beer in dark glass bottles usually holds up well after long-term storage away from UV light. Many folks clamor for aged beer if properly stored. But this is not true for beer with lower alcohol content.
This is why my phone goes with me on any beer run. Any beer I have not had I search it and if it comes up with under a 90 rating on beeradvocate.com I leave it at the store. Has worked me so far. BTW pretty much all Abita beers suck.

Sierra Nevada released Beer Camp earlier this month. It is a pretty fair collaboration of recipes from different brewers around the USA. It has taken Texas by storm. Might be available in your area. I heard about it on my Facebook group before returning from KY and managed to score a 12-pack yesterday. Man, that 4-mile ride from the beer store on my bike was a bitch yesterday. Still sore from the trip. Carried the 12-pack in my small backpack.

I tried 22 different beers while in KY/TN this trip.

beercampcase.jpg

beercamp.jpg

This post was edited on 7/19 11:23 PM by AustinTXCat

http://lefthandbrewing.com/beers/milk-stout-nitro/

Been drinking that lately. Still good in the bottle, but nothing beats it draft-style in a liter mug.

- The 2014 United States Open Beer Championships were recently held. You may recognize many beers on the list. Great showing by Texas-based breweries this year.

- Starting next month, I may begin integrating more ciders into my regimen. Aside from your usual corporate-owned, mass-produced varieties (Woodchuck, Crispin, Angry Orchard), lots of smaller bottlers are found here in the USA. Heck, the AusTex area hosts two cidery operations which use apples grown, believe it or not, in Texas.

By the way, Angry Orchard is owned by Boston Beer Co.

Well it's that time of the year for pumpkin beers to start popping up.

What's everyone's favorite fall/pumpkin beer?

Originally posted by Wesley91581:

I recommend staying away from Dogfish Head's pumpkin, it's the worst I've ever had.

I recommend staying away from Dogfish Head's pumpkin, it's the worst I've ever had.
^ yep. Tastes like buttocks squeezins.

the whole pumpkin genre is played out.

Rack. Pumpking is by the best IMO

I have tried just one pumpkin beer, Saint Arnold Pumpkinator in 2012, and it freakin' rocked! Hope I can sample similar beers in the near future. I know some breweries have already begun shipping the style in anticipation of the season.

I'll look out for this one. You think they sell it Florida?

I have tried just one pumpkin beer, Saint Arnold Pumpkinator in 2012, and it freakin' rocked! Hope I can sample similar beers in the near future. I know some breweries have already begun shipping the style in anticipation of the season.

I'll look out for this one. You think they sell it Florida?
Not yet, bro. Distribution is currently limited to Texas, Louisiana and Colorado as far as I know. However, if you have seen any Saint Arnold's in the Sunshine State, then there is an excellent chance it will appear relatively soon.

By the way, looking at a Christmas trip back to Orlando.

Not yet, bro. Distribution is currently limited to Texas, Louisiana and Colorado as far as I know. However, if you have seen any Saint Arnold's in the Sunshine State, then there is an excellent chance it will appear relatively soon.

By the way, looking at a Christmas trip back to Orlando.

Awesome! I will have a few days off matter of fact. woo hoo!

I'll look for St Arnold. Not sure they've ever distributed here.

Heard Sam Adams Octoberfest was out. One of my favorite beers of all time. Even as I have become more of a beer snob I still go back to Octoberfest.

Originally posted by tammefan:
Heard Sam Adams Octoberfest was out. One of my favorite beers of all time. Even as I have become more of a beer snob I still go back to Octoberfest.
Yeah, I agree. Their Octoberfest is pretty damn good. Ya know, I'm not much on Sam Adams, but they make the most variety of beers in the U.S. But there is something about the taste. Except the Octoberfest. That's great. Now, I'll drink a Sams when I eating a cheap steak at Logans, but I usually don't drink it.

@Kooky Kats: I just sent you an invite via Untappd. My Untappd user name is beerhunter101. Thanks.
I'm in!

just started , learning beers!

@Willy: Looking very much forward to enjoying a couple brews with ya again, bro. Planning to hit Orlando Brewing again, and maybe Longwood Brewing during Christmas week.

Re: Samuel Adams Octoberfest. Drank the beer on draft at Texas Land and Cattle in September, 2013 (on special for 99 cents) and again from the bottle during the same month. Based on my recollection, it is not bad and contains some interesting spicy notes. I reviewed the beer briefly (#236) in the old "Great Beer" thread. I also drank Shiner Oktoberfest last year. Samuel Adams is much better than the Shiner style, but the Germans (i.e. #293 Hofbrau Oktoberfest) crushes 'em both. Really want to try Pumpking and some others soon.

If y'all are interested, I will attempt to post a PDF from the old Great Beer thread on my Blogger site and link it here.

I had a Dogfish 120 today draft. 18% ABV. Top 5. Probably sits at 5, but it's top 5.

Anyone recommend any Boston brew places?

I had a Dogfish 120 today draft. 18% ABV. Top 5. Probably sits at 5, but it's top 5.

Anyone recommend any Boston brew places?
Willie, I backed out of purchasing the Dogfish 120 last month. Went with Chamay Blue instead. Maybe next year.

Are you headed to Boston? If so, then check this:

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/restaurants/blog/2014/06/11/50-new-england-breweries-visit-summer/

I am planning a beer expedition there for 2016. An old Army buddy, who operates a successful ice skating business in the Boston area, has offered me a place to stay. Plan to combine the visit with a trip to Europe (Iceland, Germany, Belgium). Really want to sample the Spencer Trappist beer in MA and some other spots around Bean Town.

Mime should have much insight into the area, as he lived there before heading to Cali.

Wish some of you tricks would make it up to the Northwest. Completely different scene than anywhere else. Breweries in every little small town, many without the "craft" ethos, per se. People just like to drink beer and so they make it close to home.

You're just a likely to see a 60 year old truck driver drinking an Imperial IPA/Breakfast Stout/ESB as you are some fixed gear riding mustached hipster. This grungy ass and non-ironic bowling alley I was at the other day was serving draft local microbrew right along with the Bud and Miller.

Originally posted by TransyCat09:
Wish some of you tricks would make it up to the Northwest. Completely different scene than anywhere else. Breweries in every little small town, many without the "craft" ethos, per se. People just like to drink beer and so they make it close to home.

You're just a likely to see a 60 year old truck driver drinking an Imperial IPA/Breakfast Stout/ESB as you are some fixed gear riding mustached hipster. This grungy ass and non-ironic bowling alley I was at the other day was serving draft local microbrew right along with the Bud and Miller.
I actually want to go northwest just for a beer expedition. I was in Spokane in 1998. Went to Cactus Jack's (or some bar there with a similar name). Picked up some hot Mexican chick. Had a blast.

@ Willy

Your Untappd review of Humboldt Haze made me piss my pants.

Thanks

I'm sitting at dinner table with wet undies.

Originally posted by Kooky Kats:
@ Willy

Your Untappd review of Humboldt Haze made me piss my pants.

Thanks

I'm sitting at dinner table with wet undies.
hahahahaha

I just added Untappd to my phone in May. Since then, I've only checked in beers that I've drank since I added it. Not sure how I feel about going back and adding ones that I drank before then - it almost feels like cheating.
I have managed to check in 70 distinct beers in that time, so I figure I'll eventually catch up on most of what I have drank in the past (except for the Schaefer, Goebel and Black label - just can't bring myself to suffer throught those again...)
Love the app though. It's a great way to keep track of what i want to go back and drink again.
And I agree with the earlier post about the Stone's Sublimely Slef-Righteous. Awesome brew. If you like that one, you should try the Uinta Dubhe.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT