ADVERTISEMENT

Got to Hand It to California. Lost Swanigan, get a Visit from Dickerson

Swanigan ranked 19th, Dickerson 81st. I know some players can surprise, but I think at this point it's a stretch to say that.

Swanigan ranked 19th, Dickerson 81st. I know some players can surprise, but I think at this point it's a stretch to say that.

Then this is a very deep class, because Dickerson is very good. If you watch him, you'd agree. He's smooth in the post, even has a nice mid-range game.

Montrez Harrel was not highly ranked and several on here including myself stated the kid could play. If he had a longer neck like Zimmerman he would be 7 ft lol
I've never been a fan of the total height of a player but how tall he is at the shoulders and his width / arm length.
You could have the body of a 7ft guy but have the neck of Rodrick Barns and be only 6'8" or be like Zimmerman and have a neck that adds 2-3 extra inches.

I wonder if Tennessee would of had similar classes/recruiting if Cuonzo Martin had the support he needed to be successful there.

Martin wasn't really there long enough to give a good indication, but the only player that came there that was of any actual substance was Robert Hubbs, and he was from TN and was a flop. His last recruiting class was all 3 stars. I had forgotten that he went to Cal and I was wondering where this sudden spurt was coming from. Then I saw that he was their head coach and I was even more surprised. The guy has the personality of a rock, and I personally think he's a pretty average coach at best. His teams at Tennessee struggled offensively because he focused so much on the defense. That might not be an issue with better talent, but it will be interesting to see if he can even get these 1 and done type players to buy into his all defense system. I highly doubt that he can.

I wonder if Tennessee would of had similar classes/recruiting if Cuonzo Martin had the support he needed to be successful there.
I don't know if Tennessee knows how to support their basketball program. So that is a difficult hypothetical question to start with.

That being said, this class may just be the result of a number of favorable coincidences. Ivan Rabb wanted to stay close to home in Oakland and wants to try and broker a package-deal. He befriends Jalen Brown who's inner-circle includes Shareef Abdur-Rahim as an adviser. I don't think Cuonzo Martin gets this recruiting class, or anything comparable in Knoxville.

Reactions: brianpoe
I don't know if Tennessee knows how to support their basketball program. So that is a difficult hypothetical question to start with.

That being said, this class may just be the result of a number of favorable coincidences. Ivan Rabb wanted to stay close to home in Oakland and wants to try and broker a package-deal. He befriends Jalen Brown who's inner-circle includes Shareef Abdur-Rahim as an adviser. I don't think Cuonzo Martin gets this recruiting class, or anything comparable in Knoxville.

I definitely agree with the coincidences in regards to this year but he also pulled in a couple of four stars in the 2015 and 2016 classes respectively. I'll be interested to see if he can achieve some level of success with the two major prospects and try to parlay that into more recruiting wins.

Martin wasn't really there long enough to give a good indication, but the only player that came there that was of any actual substance was Robert Hubbs, and he was from TN and was a flop. His last recruiting class was all 3 stars. I had forgotten that he went to Cal and I was wondering where this sudden spurt was coming from. Then I saw that he was their head coach and I was even more surprised. The guy has the personality of a rock, and I personally think he's a pretty average coach at best. His teams at Tennessee struggled offensively because he focused so much on the defense. That might not be an issue with better talent, but it will be interesting to see if he can even get these 1 and done type players to buy into his all defense system. I highly doubt that he can.

Yeah he never struck me as a people person. I'm actually really intrigued to see how they fare. I'll be up trying to catching a couple of their 12 AM start times this year.

I think Cuonzo has a asst or someone in the back ground doing the recruiting.JMHO

IF Cal and Martin didn't have a scholarship available for Swanigan, how can he sign Dickerson?

Thought Cali didn't have the scholarship for Swannigan so how are they in on a new recruit???

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT