ADVERTISEMENT

Goodman reports Donovan will accept OKC job if offered

Not really. His time at Florida has reached it's zenith and he accomplished everything he could.

This is a logical move and the NBA is a players league and OKC has players. If he flops his college stock won't be affected, if anything it will improve.

Reactions: bigc45157
Not really. His time at Florida has reached it's zenith and he accomplished everything he could.

I was more referring to his pre-season top 10 team finishing under .500 with team turmoil all year.

Just a strange ending to his time there. What a difference a year can make.

he leaves now that the sec has promise. this will hurt the conference, as the chances that uf gets a ff type coach are slim to none. they got a home run with donovan and they had a good run.

it would be a smart move for donovan though. he can come back to college any time. dare i say, down the road maybe uk. not sure how successful he'll be in the west, but to be honest i think he can be a good nba coach. he's a good motivator and i think at least right away he won't screw up their home record. he will win imo. it could actually be a good move for both parties. good timing for donovan to get his name out, and looks tennessee is going to be our main rival once again. mississippi state, arkansas maybe georgia on the second tier. but no florida for a while if this happens.

if they get a good coach who can recruit their state they'll be back.

Disagree - Foley will immediately go after someone like Archie Miller or Fred Hoiberg and will competitive in the SEC for sure.

Billy D's demeanor this season was different than any other year he'd been at UF. He seemed frustrated that the program was on the down slide.

Could this deter another up and comer or big name coach from coming to Gainesville?

Archie Miller is our first call. No idea who is #2 after that. Foley will not let the program slide. We have a $60 million renovation of the O'Dome next year. There's finally a good basketball fan base in place due to Billy's long and successful tenure. Next year's team will be average no matter who is coaching though.

Any players/recruits they have that we would want if they jump ship after Donovan leaves? That's always my first thought when I hear that a coach is leaving another program.

Billy D goes on to coach OKC for 3-5 years and when Cal hangs it up....BOOM! Lexington here comes Eddie Munster. Can't say I would be disappointed if he was our next batter up after Cal.

Billy D's demeanor this season was different than any other year he'd been at UF. He seemed frustrated that the program was on the down slide.

Could this deter another up and comer or big name coach from coming to Gainesville?

For candidates that value strong fan and administrative support of the program, it could have a negative impact.

For candidates that mostly value $$$, though, Foley has proven that he'll cut a pretty big check in order to keep a coach as we know all too well.

Disagree - Foley will immediately go after someone like Archie Miller or Fred Hoiberg and will competitive in the SEC for sure.

He can go after whomever he wants. I don't think he'll get them. UF doesn't care about basketball. They got a young Donovan when he was first coming on the scene. The match up was luck.

Reactions: brianpoe
Florida went to a final four right before Billy Donovan became coach. As in like 2 years right before. It's not like it can't be done.

I would second that motion!
I lived in FL on and off for 32 years. There's LOTS of talent in FL and the ambience of the weather and campus will always attract players especially once they rehab the O dome. FL has gobs of money to spend. They won occasionally before BD (an excellent coach) and they will win with the right coach ( Archie M) afterwards.

Archie Miller is our first call. No idea who is #2 after that. Foley will not let the program slide. We have a $60 million renovation of the O'Dome next year. There's finally a good basketball fan base in place due to Billy's long and successful tenure. Next year's team will be average no matter who is coaching though.

What is it about Miller that is so enticing. He does not seem have a resume strong enough to attract the attention of a school like FL. I can see Hoiburg, but not Miller. I know Miller has shown improvement at Datyon and I am aware of his wins in the NCAAT but IMO he is no sure fire winner just yet. He has not attracted interest by the AP voters and he hasn't done much in the A10. Maybe he will emerge as a real deal, but he could also emerge as a Gillispie - OK forget Gillispie, only Barnhart would make a boner like that.

I kind of agree with Gators300. With all that is going on with the work on the arena and the fact that UF would want to keep up with Bama, Auburn, UT and hire a name coach. I can't see them going on the cheap and wasting all that money fixing up their arena and then having a poor program that no one would go see. Like another poster, I'm not sure of the great attraction for Miller and could see them go after another recognizable name with a better resume. Don't know, off hand, who that would be but there are names out there I'm sure.

I kind of agree with Gators300. With all that is going on with the work on the arena and the fact that UF would want to keep up with Bama, Auburn, UT and hire a name coach. I can't see them going on the cheap and wasting all that money fixing up their arena and then having a poor program that no one would go see. Like another poster, I'm not sure of the great attraction for Miller and could see them go after another recognizable name with a better resume. Don't know, off hand, who that would be but there are names out there I'm sure.
Foley has always shown favor to the "up and comer" coach. It has worked some times, (Donovan, Meyer) and sometimes it hasn't, (Muschamp). Archie Miller checks all of the boxes for what Foley looks for, at least some limited success, but young and energetic and hungry. He has pedigree as well. My concern is that if he turns us down, and Foley goes with a "safe" bet in Grant or Pelphrey. I think I would be happier, in that scenario, with Pelphrey, because Grant's offense is like watching paint dry.

Regardless, after being caught flat footed when Spurrier left, I know Foley is a lot more cognizant of the coaching field. I have to think he isn't going to hand over the keys to the program to a guy that has failed. If he does, there will be a mutiny. And besides, reports are saying that Grant would go with Billy if/when he takes the OKC job. No word on Pelphrey. Finally, last time Donovan was going to leave, he was going to take the entire program with him, including S&C coach.

I hope he stays since he has been good for the SEC, although as someone else mentioned, FL fans do not really care much about basketball, especially during down years. They couldn't give tickets away last year to every home game except UCONN and KY.

Wonder if there's any chance that anthony grant or pelphrey could be a possible replacement for slice.

I don't dislike Florida or anything but in all honesty I think they will be NIT next season, and it will take some time to rebuild. Next year it will be UK, LSU, and Texas A&M representing the conference in the tourny. Arkansas and Georgia will be in contention.

I don't dislike Florida or anything but in all honesty I think they will be NIT next season, and it will take some time to rebuild. Next year it will be UK, LSU, and Texas A&M representing the conference in the tourny. Arkansas and Georgia will be in contention.
I agree with this. Whoever is coaching will be coaching an NIT team. Which will be an improvement over this year.

I am very surprised he would just come out and let that info be leaked if he had not been contacted.
Yeah, word on our end is that if he is offered, he will immediately accept. He always wanted a "good situation" if he moved to the NBA. Taking over a perennial playoff team with KD and RW qualifies, I think. No hard feelings from me, I just want to get it over with and start the coaching search ASAP.

I think he grew tired of the recruiting grind in the past couple of years and some of the goofy off court crap that he had to put up with in a few cases..He picked up more transfers than one might think usual.He is only one year removed for a great season but this year didn't seem like he was headed in the direction of repeating that any time soon

Foley has always shown favor to the "up and comer" coach. It has worked some times, (Donovan, Meyer) and sometimes it hasn't, (Muschamp). Archie Miller checks all of the boxes for what Foley looks for, at least some limited success, but young and energetic and hungry. He has pedigree as well. My concern is that if he turns us down, and Foley goes with a "safe" bet in Grant or Pelphrey. I think I would be happier, in that scenario, with Pelphrey, because Grant's offense is like watching paint dry.

Regardless, after being caught flat footed when Spurrier left, I know Foley is a lot more cognizant of the coaching field. I have to think he isn't going to hand over the keys to the program to a guy that has failed. If he does, there will be a mutiny. And besides, reports are saying that Grant would go with Billy if/when he takes the OKC job. No word on Pelphrey. Finally, last time Donovan was going to leave, he was going to take the entire program with him, including S&C coach.

Thanks for that insight on your AD and how he works. It will be interesting, for sure, to see the direction he takes if/when Billy jumps to the NBA. There will be options available and I'll be interested to see which path he follows. You're so right about Grant and his offense. It's even boring to watch Grant on the sidelines as it seems he rarely shows any emotion and just looks confused most of the time so I'm hoping he isn't even a consideration for your program at all. Pelphrey has already failed badly at Arkansas so I'm not sure they would want to take a chance on him at UF but who knows. We should see things start to happen fairly soon though.

Thanks for that insight on your AD and how he works. It will be interesting, for sure, to see the direction he takes if/when Billy jumps to the NBA. There will be options available and I'll be interested to see which path he follows. You're so right about Grant and his offense. It's even boring to watch Grant on the sidelines as it seems he rarely shows any emotion and just looks confused most of the time so I'm hoping he isn't even a consideration for your program at all. Pelphrey has already failed badly at Arkansas so I'm not sure they would want to take a chance on him at UF but who knows. We should see things start to happen fairly soon though.
Ha ha, trust me, I do not. Nor do most Florida fans. HOWEVER, if the choice is between Grand and Pelphrey, I think most would take Pelphrey.

We have already had one failed experiment with a defensive minded coach at UF...

Our tourney hopes for next year are kind of hanging in the balance of this "supposed transfer" that may or may not happen. Either way, we will have a much more talented team next year. We'll just be pretty young.

ADVERTISEMENT