ADVERTISEMENT

Golfers

Added Ping G25 irons and titleist 913 hybrid this year, nice improvement from wider sole irons.

matte black nike covert 2 driver
Callaway x2 3&5w
Cleveland 588 wedges
Scotty blade

Assuming I start playing again this year, it's probably time to replace the R9.

Played a guy last year in match play who played the R9 driver and irons. He was 8 under after 11 holes and closed me out on #14. Mostly the Indian and not the arrow.

Ping G15
TM Burner 3 wood
TM RB 5 Wood
TM MB irons
Odyessy putter

Still play various balls but the favorites are the new Cally, Srixon, Bridgestone and Tiliest NXT or second-hand ProV's.

Ping Rapture V2 Driver ....best driver I've ever hit.
Ping I20 3W ....meh.
Ping I20 Hybrid 20 ....thumbs up!
Mizuno MP 64 3-6 ....smooth.
Mizuno MP 69 7-PW ....RIDIC btw.
Ping Gorge 52 and 58 Wedges ....meh.
Ping Nome Putter ....meh.

Played a guy last year in match play who played the R9 driver and irons. He was 8 under after 11 holes and closed me out on #14. Mostly the Indian and not the arrow.

Well the swing would be the first issue to address. I couldn't stop duck hooking last year. Up through last year, I used to play regularly with a guy regularly who was a 2 and played Cleveland Ta7 tour irons that were at least 10 years old.

But the driver is a bit old, and Prec.X is probably a bit too much for me at this point as well.

Well the swing would be the first issue to address. I couldn't stop duck hooking last year. .

Just get a sleeve of E6 or Pinnacle Gold Rocks, problem solved ---> limits the sidespin and that duck hook caused by an inside-out swing paired with a closed club face at impact will be magically & instantly straightened out by the golf ball!

Enjoy your new straight drives!

Reactions: ModernThirst_Bill
Big Bertha driver (I traded Jimmy Riddle my UK / FL football tickets for it) 9.5 degree.

Callaway X16 irons 3-PW / AW

Callaway 3,5,7,9 FM. (really struggle with any iron under a 7, so metals it is.

Titleist 52 / 56 wedges, but use my Gap and A wedge from Callaway irons most of the time
White hot 2 ball putter

Ball - Whatever is in the bag, free golf balls from banks is a nice perk. Probably have 10-12 dozen never opened. Have not bought balls / tees, or other stuff in 15 years.

Cleveland irons
Nike hybrid
Ping 3W
Cleveland driver (that I can't hit right now)
Ping putter

As for balls, I usually play whatever decent balls I find while playing. I'll lose 1-4 per round, and find that many.

Taylormade driver and 3 wood, hell I don't even no which one's anymore. They are white lol. I finally figured out you don't have to run out and buy a new driver every time one comes out..
Mizuno irons, I don't remember which ones I've i had them 5 years or better and still hit them good, so I'm hanging with them. They are cavity backs though. I thought I was a good enough iron player and bought some mp 60's a few years ago. I found out I was wrong and sold those. I do play a mp60 gap and sand wedge though. About a 15 year old Odyssey blade putter.

Just get a sleeve of E6 or Pinnacle Gold Rocks, problem solved ---> limits the sidespin and that duck hook caused by an inside-out swing paired with a closed club face at impact will be magically & instantly straightened out by the golf ball!

Enjoy your new straight drives!

No, you DS. I said that my natural pattern is a slight fade....which a ball can correct. I never said it would correct a major slice.

You said that the ball has "NOTHING" to do with a fade or draw......which is just false. It can correct minor issues.

That's bc it doesn't. All balls perform differently but the path/face determine spin & ball flight. Pretty simple stuff.

Maybe try badminton.
Correct. Ball flight laws

Very little to do with the type of ball or club being used. A nice inside to out swing with a square to slightly closed club face is going to produce a nice straight or draw shot. Give me a 1 piece or 5 piece ball with the best driver or iron on the market and the ball flight is almost identical. Possible different distances due to spin rates, but ball flights will be very close to one another.

Where the type of ball is important is around the greens. I have a few friends who played on the PGA Tour and they agree 100% that the type of ball they use for their short games is crucial. When Tiger tests balls from Nike, he always tests them around the greens first. He is not worried about what kind of ball flight the ball produces because he knows his mechanics determine that and right now he gets stuck causing the erratic ball flights he is having right now. Its not because of the type of ball he is using.

Correct.

Bluehacker22 is an idiot. The ball can affect the severity of a draw/fade, high/low, etc (barely) -- but still has essentially nothing to do with the initial flight.

Anyone who believes their golf ball can "fix" their slice probably buys their Driver at 2am off an infomercial and claims 300 yd drives. Oh, and a golf ball doesn't "fix" a fade, either.

57970.jpg

Learn Golf.

-You are a terrible member, btw, Mustard.

Last edited:
^Well, of course it's a small correction. I've never said it was more than that. All I said was what you just said, "The ball can affect the severity of a draw/fade, high/low, etc (barely)" THAT'S ALL I HAVE SAID THE ENTIRE TIME!

Of course, the swing is the most important thing.......but most people don't have a perfect swing nor are they going to play/practice enough to approach perfection. But for us lesser players a simple change in ball "can" be the difference between being 10-20 yds off the fairway or barely on during drives.

I'm not really sure. The golf ball straightened out my drive.....no doubt about that. Now, am able to draw it much more now than I ever have.....by a large amount. Is it the ball or has my swing changed? I don't know.....I guess according to you, it's gotta be the swing.
Yeah, has to be the swing.
I don't buy into the side-spin reducing hype. You can make a ball that spins less but I don't think you can reduce spinning in any particular direction...i.e. side spin vs back spin. Plus, it requires side spin to draw the ball... It's no different than a curve ball vs a screwball. The direction of the spin dictates the movement of the ball.

Personally, the only real difference in balls I have found is around the greens and how well a ball checks up. Nothing stops like a ProV1...

The only thing that really matters is what works for you. I go through periods where I'm hot playing with a particular ball and I stay with it...periods when I can putt, then can't buy a putt...will be crushing my driver but can't hit a decent iron...then the irons are hot but my driver is erratic. Eventually the game reverts to the mean. If I shoot a 75 that just means I've got a 90 out there waiting for me!

There's a reason golf is a four letter word.

Reactions: B.B.d.K.
There's no doubt that the swing is first and foremost the key, but the ball plays a role. Below is a bit of research that seems to be recreated every couple yrs by various companies. Using a robot arm to recreate a swing (at 95mph) the data was collected below.

eqsl32-hot-list-ball-spin-rate-chart.jpg

And this data seems to yield consistent results every time they do this..... Some balls yielded close to half the spin with wedges. The results with the drivers is much less dramatic since the spin rates between drivers/wedges is so significant. And the flight pattern for these balls is likely going to be slightly different as well due to the change in spin rates.

Sure, it's a small change......but it's there.

Nothing there says anything about a ball changing a fade into a straight shot...b/c that's not possible.

You just posted a graphic that illustrates different balls have different spin rates. [laughing] Well, NO SHIT.

Please log off now.

Cleveland 588 Custom Driver
Cleveland 588 3 wood, H-4
Mizuno JPX-825 Pro 4-GW
Titleist Volkey 56, 60 wedges
Acushnet Bullseye putter!!! <-- at least 30 years old.
ProV1

^So......
-you agree that the ball makes a small difference....as you have said a few times now.
-I have said that the ball makes a small difference.....as I have said a few times now.

But......
-You can't acknowledge the fact that we are saying the same thing......
-and you want me to drop this?

Jesus Christ you effing retards. The ball has nothing to do with why spin/sidespin is put on it. But the ball can reduce the effects of the bad swing/shot. In other words, low-spin balls are more forgiving to hacks, just like super-duper game improvement irons are more forgiving than blades.

Now, stfu and move to something else.

Nope just said what I have. I do not keep all clubs in my bag. Just like I do not keep 10-12 dozen of golf balls in my bag. Trying way to hard. It is ok when someone makes a bad post and call them out, but chasing every post ? We get it all ready, you have over 70k post and the King Of being a dick, congrats, I guess ???

Driver- Nike VR Pro
3W- Nike VR Pro
2H- NIke Vr Pro
Irons- Nike CCI
52 & 56 - Vokies
Putter - Nike Ignite

I'm due for an upgrade. Been looking at some muscle backs. Anyone got recommendations. Currently leaning towards Mizuno...

Most of the guys that buy ProV's couldn't tell the difference between a $5 and a $1 ball. I *love* playing with hacks that chew up the course every stroke, look for 20 mins a hole for their brand new ProV and card just under a 100 with the front, back, Sun, month of July and wife is angry at me mulligans.

Nope just said what I have. I do not keep all clubs in my bag. Just like I do not keep 10-12 dozen of golf balls in my bag. Trying way to hard. It is ok when someone makes a bad post and call them out, but chasing every post ? We get it all ready, you have over 70k post and the King Of being a dick, congrats, I guess ???

Can you even see through your face-fat smushing your eyes closed? Just seems odd you play golf with every thing working against you.

Most of the guys that buy ProV's couldn't tell the difference between a $5 and a $1 ball. I *love* playing with hacks that chew up the course every stroke, look for 20 mins a hole for their brand new ProV and card just under a 100 with the front, back, Sun, month of July and wife is angry at me mulligans.
Buying ProVs that dumbasses lose after one stroke for $1 each from the guy who lives next to the golf course, ftw.

Buying ProVs that dumbasses lose after one stroke for $1 each from the guy who lives next to the golf course, ftw.

Yeah I should clarify, I love them for it because I find more brand new PV1 a yard into a hazard than any other golf ball.

Can you even see through your face-fat smushing your eyes closed? Just seems odd you play golf with every thing working against you.

You hurt my feelings Catlanta. Take that back. I actually do play golf, and even play without insulting strangers on the course. I bet you are the absolute opposite in real life than your posting persona. I pretty well know this because in real life, you would get tired of getting your ass beat in front of people for being a complete dick to strangers you do not know. One good ass beating tends to straighten out internet smart asses, well unless they are the "my dad will sue you" type.

Another thread ruined by the grown kids who think they are waaayyyy too cool and think they are the "in" crowd because they pop off to a complete stranger, congrats. I salute you Mr. Internet cool guy who would never say shit in person cause he knows better, crack open a ice cold whatever fruity queer beer of your choice.

Driver- Nike VR Pro
3W- Nike VR Pro
2H- NIke Vr Pro
Irons- Nike CCI
52 & 56 - Vokies
Putter - Nike Ignite

I'm due for an upgrade. Been looking at some muscle backs. Anyone got recommendations. Currently leaning towards Mizuno...
I went from TM irons to the Mizuno MP54's last year. I tested several brands. Liked the Callaway Apex, Titleist AP1, and TM RSI1. Not good enough for straight up blades. These are considered Game Improvement clubs but more for the better player. The MP-54 is considered a Players Iron but I am not convinced it is. It has a muscle back look to it compared to the MP-15 which looks like a blade.

Went to a very popular range in my area that is a Top 100 fitter. I am not a big fan of launch monitors in a golf store. I want to see the ball in the air so the range was the best place to go. They are a Mizuno dealer so I went through the whole fitting process after I chose the MP54's and ended up with an incredible set of irons. Took 2 days to get them from the manufacturer. Exceptional product and customer service. Would be a great brand choice for you. Just try all their lineups and see which one works best for you. The JPX series is an excellent muscle back iron. If not that brand, Titleist would be my next choice. No longer just a player's golf club manufacturer. Good lineup of game Improvement irons now.

Had JPX irons before my TM and loved them. Those are some nice sticks and Mizuno clubs hold their value well.

I buy used pro v's. Saw a small driving range in Jeff, Ind on fathers day and picked up two dozen used pro v 1 for $16 on a fathers day deal.

Also play DT solo as well as I get two dozen used on Ebay for $13 with free shipping.

Never buy new balls.

ADVERTISEMENT