ADVERTISEMENT

Giles commits to...

Great get for Oak Hill. A lot of the top kids have found their way to prep schools other than Oak Hill the last few years.

Not often you see the elite of the elite go there anymore though. Like top overall kid in the class type player.

Him getting out of the state of NC would only help us, imo. I still think he follows his BF to Dook, but this move can't hurt our chances.

Reactions: madskilz
Not often you see the elite of the elite go there anymore though. Like top overall kid in the class type player.
Yeah, it used to be the destination for top kids. When is the last time they had a truly elite player? Brandon Jennings?

I'll answer my own question.

It looks like Oak Hill had the following players:

Brandon Jennings 2007/08
Michael Beasley 2006/07
Kevin Durant 2004/05
Josh Smith/Rondo 2003/04
Carmelo Anthony 2001/02

In 2015 the highest rated Oak Hill kids were Dwayne Bacon #22, Daniel Giddens #51, and Terrence Phillips #142

In 2014: Caleb Martin #60, BJ Stith #65, Shelton Mitchell #76 , and Cody Martin #81

In 2013: Sindarius Thornwell #43 and Ikenna Iroegbu #130.

Isn't Miles Bridges going there as well? That could help a lot if he is.

Dwayne Bacon was the best two guard I seen during all star games. Might be oak hills best in years

Dwayne Bacon was the best two guard I seen during all star games. Might be oak hills best in years
Really? I thought Alonzo Trier looked like the best. I like Bacon, but his ranking is about right. Actually it might be too high with him going to FSU.

This may be the rise of Oak Hill starting again??? All it takes is one stud going there and that just happened. Man I remember when I was in school it was all about Oak Hill you know.

This may be the rise of Oak Hill starting again??? All it takes is one stud going there and that just happened. Man I remember when I was in school it was all about Oak Hill you know.
Yeah, now it's one of the smaller fish. IMG, Huntington, and Findlay have all had better teams the past few years.

i think Lamb was the last recruit we got from Oak Hill
And I think he's the only Calipari recruit from Oak Hill. Although I don't know how many schools (if any) have sent multiple players our way since Calipari arrived. That's probably just a weird quirk.

Not saying you're wrong and it will probably be duke or wake forest but he does have a great relationship with coach cal and payne.

Him getting out of the state of NC would only help us, imo. I still think he follows his BF to Dook, but this move can't hurt our chances.
Oak Hill is in Mouth Of Wilson, Va...20 miles from North Carolina line.

Yes. So instead of 100% not coming to UK, Giles is about 99%.

rQ8bbx6.jpg

Reactions: ia.ukfan and SosaUK
And I think he's the only Calipari recruit from Oak Hill. Although I don't know how many schools (if any) have sent multiple players our way since Calipari arrived. That's probably just a weird quirk.

Unless you count Dakari playing at St. Pats alongside MKG before heading to Montverde, I can't think of any. Probably could have had another from Huntington Prep if we had wanted Gill-Caesar or Bryant, and we definitely went hard after Wiggins and are after Bridges.

Unless you count Dakari playing at St. Pats alongside MKG before heading to Montverde, I can't think of any. Probably could have had another from Huntington Prep if we had wanted Gill-Caesar or Bryant, and we definitely went hard after Wiggins and are after Bridges.
Who would be the first from Huntington Prep?

I had thought about St. Pats. We also went hard after Kyrie from St. Pats too.

As a Wake fan this move took us out of contention. I'm from Winston-Salem and the barbershop talk is he's headed to Duke, sent to Oak Hill by coach K to keep Harry from so many pick up games on Wakes campus. This move also gets the WS natives out of Harry's ear everywhere he goes in town. It's also been said that the only thing that keeps him from Duke is Cal. The kid really likes Cal and Cal has sold Harry on being his 6th number 1 overall pick!!! (Rose, Wall, AD, KAT & Skal) Cal has told Harry to watch Skal this year and that's how he envisions Harry!! If Harry commits early its Duke but if he waits till spring I'd lookout for Cal!! KAT beating Oakfor for the number 1 pick has resonated with Harry!! Cal told him that he got KAT to reclass and in one season he rose to number one while after the same season Okafor the consensus 1 all year fell to 3!!! I know y'all hate the draft but Cal knows what he's doing!!!

Who hates the draft?

Otherwise thanks for the info. I would love to land Giles. He's been on my wish list since his freshman year.

Who hates the draft?

Otherwise thanks for the info. I would love to land Giles. He's been on my wish list since his freshman year.

Giles to UK would be a shocker. Giles' mother could go work for UK and I'd still pick him to land at Duke. That said, it's going to be even harder to recruit in the future against Cal if/when he helps guide Skal into that #1 pick spot. If Murray goes before Simmons...hide ya wives.

Last edited:
Reactions: brianpoe
Giles to UK would be a shocker. Giles' mother could go work for UK and I'd still pick him to land at Duke. That said, it's going to be even harder to recruit in the future against Cal when he helps guide Skal into that #1 pick spot. If Murray goes before Simmons...hide ya wives.
I'm not holding out much hope for Giles or Jackson who I would also love to see at UK.

But with Skal/Murray #1/top-5 it's going to pay huge dividends going forward.

I'm not holding out much hope for Giles or Jackson who I would also love to see at UK.

But with Skal/Murray #1/top-5 it's going to pay huge dividends going forward.

Hard to argue with this:

#1 picks - Rose, Wall, Davis, Towns, Skal (potentially)
#2 picks - Camby, MKG
#3 picks - Kanter, Murray (potentially)
#4 picks - Evans
#5 picks - Cousins
#6 picks - WCS, Wagner, Noel
#7 picks - Randle
#8 picks - Knight
#9 picks - none
#10 picks - none
#11 picks - none
#12 picks - Lyles
#13 picks - Booker
#14 picks - Patterson
#15 picks - none
#16 picks - Carney
#17 picks - Williams, Young
#18 picks - Jones, Bledsoe

Hopefully Briscoe can be drafted #9,10,11, or 15th. I'd love to see Cal have a player at every draft slot in the top 20 by the time he retires.

As a Wake fan this move took us out of contention. I'm from Winston-Salem and the barbershop talk is he's headed to Duke, sent to Oak Hill by coach K to keep Harry from so many pick up games on Wakes campus. This move also gets the WS natives out of Harry's ear everywhere he goes in town. It's also been said that the only thing that keeps him from Duke is Cal. The kid really likes Cal and Cal has sold Harry on being his 6th number 1 overall pick!!! (Rose, Wall, AD, KAT & Skal) Cal has told Harry to watch Skal this year and that's how he envisions Harry!! If Harry commits early its Duke but if he waits till spring I'd lookout for Cal!! KAT beating Oakfor for the number 1 pick has resonated with Harry!! Cal told him that he got KAT to reclass and in one season he rose to number one while after the same season Okafor the consensus 1 all year fell to 3!!! I know y'all hate the draft but Cal knows what he's doing!!!
I still expect him to pick Duke but that's an awesome recruiting strategy. It may seem like a little thing that Okafor dropped to 3 while KAT went first but that is a simple marketing tool Cal can use to convince future #1 picks. I still think he's highly unlikely but the longer he holds out, the better for us.

Reactions: MWes11
It doesn't matter where Giles plays ball next year. He will still end up a Dookie when it is all said and done.

I still expect him to pick Duke but that's an awesome recruiting strategy. It may seem like a little thing that Okafor dropped to 3 while KAT went first but that is a simple marketing tool Cal can use to convince future #1 picks. I still think he's highly unlikely but the longer he holds out, the better for us.

I love it. You guys keep saying he will be at puke and don't bother recruiting him. Now a wake fan gives a glimmer of hope and some good insight and you start to change your tune a bit.
This is why I don't understand guys that come on here and talk in absolutes. I want him it UK so bad but the best part would be all the guys on here back pedaling. When will you guys learn...it is how recruiting goes and yet you guys still talk like something is 100% certain to happen.

Reactions: ukbblover
I love it. You guys keep saying he will be at puke and don't bother recruiting him. Now a wake fan gives a glimmer of hope and some good insight and you start to change your tune a bit.
This is why I don't understand guys that come on here and talk in absolutes. I want him it UK so bad but the best part would be all the guys on here back pedaling. When will you guys learn...it is how recruiting goes and yet you guys still talk like something is 100% certain to happen.

I think it's funny you mentioned talking in absolutes and the post you quoted didn't say anything like that. They said what they expect and what they think but nothing of "Giles is 100% headed to duke, Cal should stop recruiting him."

I also think it's funny that the best part of Giles committing to UK for you would be some sense of retribution against other UK fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT