ADVERTISEMENT

Giles at U19

CUT-NETS

Senior
Gold Member
May 6, 2009
Watching this kid against Italy right now. Really a special special talent. Would love to see Cal pull a rabbit out of the hat here. If this kid ends up at UNC with all thats swirling around I would be pissed.

Don't worry about being pissed about UNC , he's going to Duke....so be pissed about that.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Mike-D
Think he ends up the third ranked prospect in the class. Great player.

As Ive posted ad nauseam; K basically has a lock on any kid that plays for the US u19 team.

No coincidence Cal's last several highly rated recruits weren't on the team. Its why Cals having to look international for top flight players.

As Ive posted ad nauseam; K basically has a lock on any kid that plays for the US u19 team.

No coincidence Cal's last several highly rated recruits weren't on the team. Its why Cals having to look international for top flight players.
No, just no.

Really cant understand how the Rat is getting all the talent, you can look at most of the top 5, next few years and it looks like Duke leading with them. Something must be going on, its more then basketball

Really cant understand how the Rat is getting all the talent, you can look at most of the top 5, next few years and it looks like Duke leading with them. Something must be going on, its more then basketball

He's coaching Team USA, he's the best coach in the game, and they're winnjng titles.

I don't like it, but that's my guess as to why he has somewhat of a stranglehold on a lot of top recruits right now.

He's coaching Team USA, he's the best coach in the game, and they're winnjng titles.

I don't like it, but that's my guess as to why he has somewhat of a stranglehold on a lot of top recruits right now.

Yep, Cats gotta start reeling in some titles.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
Keys to K's recent success:

1. Coaching USA bball.
2. Having the media adore you and sing your praises over and over again (helps to have former players on ESPN).
3. Having your main rival (UNC) embroiled in a scandal.
4, Winning, especially national titles.
5. Being the best coach in the game helps as well.

There are other factors, but those are the main ones, IMHO.

Reactions: *Bleedingblue*
Keys to K's recent success:

1. Coaching USA bball.
2. Having the media adore you and sing your praises over and over again (helps to have former players on ESPN).
3. Having your main rival (UNC) embroiled in a scandal.
4, Winning, especially national titles.
5. Being the best coach in the game helps as well.

There are other factors, but those are the main ones, IMHO.

2-5 have been true for years. #1 is whats recently made the difference. A BIG difference.

I've thought that Giles was the most gifted player in the class ever since I first saw him play.

He is a special talent for sure!

He may be a little soft at this point which may limit him a little for the next few years when competing against older players but he will be an NBA stud in the future!

Are you seriously wondering why the best coach in NCAAB is getting all the talent?

The only difference between now, and 2-3 years ago, is he's following the strategy of grouping more elite players together...that wasn't his method in the past. He'd go after 1 or 2 studs, then surround them with veterans/role players.

Why want one of he or Jackson??? I want both. I'll be satisfied with a class that includes Jackson, Giles, Ayton, Simmons, and Monk.

Yep. Pretty simple really.

Jesus.

Stop posting.

It's f ing duke and The best coach of all time. They just came off a title, But yea, "something must be going on".

What a joke of a post.

Yep, Cats gotta start reeling in some titles.

We have far too many posters who don't think this matters. It's completely does.

Coach K's teams are looking great, and they're winning at the highest level. Add the media treatment and his coaching u19 and that's it.

we need to win a big one coming up.

I think things could get really scary (in a good way) if Cal remains the coach at UK to finish out his career.

K will retire sometime in the next five or six seasons (hopefully) and Duke will no longer have their edge.

UNC has a scandal that will hurt their recruiting in the foreseeable future, and I doubt Williams is going to remain much longer.

So UK should be at the top by themselves and dominate college bball when that happens. Best recruiter and best coach at the best (historically speaking) program in the country.

At least that is my hope.

Reactions: jrpross
Jesus.

Stop posting.

It's f ing duke and The best coach of all time. They just came off a title, But yea, "something must be going on".

What a joke of a post.

UNC fan who voted Cal a 2 for job approval.

Everyone should put him on ignore and he really should have already been banned.

I think things could get really scary (in a good way) if Cal remains the coach at UK to finish out his career.

K will retire sometime in the next five or six seasons (hopefully) and Duke will no longer have their edge.

UNC has a scandal that will hurt their recruiting in the foreseeable future, and I doubt Williams is going to remain much longer.

So UK should be at the top by themselves and dominate college bball when that happens. Best recruiter and best coach at the best (historically speaking) program in the country.

That's all true, but K will likely hang around and be a huge part of the program much like Rupp did when Joe took over. I think Bobby Hurley is their next coach.

Still, we should have an edge over it now. K went with the best mix. Solid seniors and talented fresh, especially in the SHOOTING department. K isn't going to rely on freshman shooters. We should do the same. I think cal is already adjusting. Ssssshhhhh don't tell the pumpers.

That's all true, but K will likely hang around and be a huge part of the program much like Rupp did when Joe took over. I think Bobby Hurley is their next coach.

Still, we should have an edge over it now. K went with the best mix. Solid seniors and talented fresh, especially in the SHOOTING department. K isn't going to rely on freshman shooters. We should do the same. I think cal is already adjusting. Ssssshhhhh don't tell the pumpers.

This is a great post and something Ive been trying to say on here for a VERY long time. Admittedly, i might not do the best job of conveying this message, but at the same time I typically get blasted out of the thread. Coach K values SHOOTING above all else. I agree that it seems like Cal has finally adjusted to this same mentality.

I think Cal early in his coaching valued the big time athlete that could occasionally step out and make a shot, where as Coach K has always valued the shot-maker that can occasionally make an athletic play.

Early for Cal it was John Wall's (who you take every time as he's a stud, but he couldn't shoot worth a damn) and Archie Goodwins. Now we are seeing Devin Bookers and Jamal Murrays. Shot makers. I think this will really pay off. I look for a sophomore Tyler Ulis to really make a lot of threes.

We have far too many posters who don't think this matters. It's completely does.

Coach K's teams are looking great, and they're winning at the highest level. Add the media treatment and his coaching u19 and that's it.

Cue the posters who say "Duke sucks they lost to LeHigh and Mercer" in 3…2…1

Duke has won 2 titles during Cal's tenure. UK has to start bringing home the whole enchilada

IMO titles don't mean as much as you two think.

Cal had the number one class in 2010, 11 and 12 without a title.

How many titles has California won? Mississippi State? UNLV's last one? We lost kids to Kansas and they haven't won since we have.

Past titles really mean less than the coach, the atmosphere, playing time, shoes maybe? Lots of stuff.

Titles are big for lesser schools, brings them credibility. A kid is not going to decide against UK because we only won 1 title in the last 6 final fours...

Doesn't make sense to me. One of you has to prove it. And Duke winning it means nothing as K has reeled in big time talent for a long time.

Ok. I'll bite. Duke sucks.
There.

By the way, let's not talk about how k won three titles in his first 30 years at duke. He won in 2010 with arguably the worst team to win a title in 20 years. I know, I know, he was able to get his team to the final four and the best teams in the field choked in their own regions.
Fact remains he had a frontline of lance Thomas and zoubek and won a title beating WV and butler in the final four.
He also choked several years he has arguably the best team.
It is really up to cal and how long he remains at UK. If he was here the next 20 years I would guess he would get to 4 titles.

Cue the posters who say "Duke sucks they lost to LeHigh and Mercer" in 3…2…1

Duke has won 2 titles during Cal's tenure. UK has to start bringing home the whole enchilada

You are a broken record. We could win it this year, and you would be on here saying Cal has to win another one, because K isn't going to retire. You will always find some reason to bitch.

You are a broken record. We could win it this year, and you would be on here saying Cal has to win another one, because K isn't going to retire. You will always find some reason to bitch.

I can't speak for cutting nets but I can tell you straight up I think Cal needs two championships and I think when he does he's fully exonerated in ALL walks, much like Roy Williams and Pitino when they did it. Lots of coaches have won a championship. It's a special feat no doubt, but it's not legendary. I'm waiting on legend status for Cal. It takes the right circumstances to do what K has done. He's got so many factors in his favor, the first being he's been at the same place since the galactic expansion. To me, a coach winning title(s) sets him as one of the top tier all time greats. How many after that is dependent on other situations besides the talent of the coach.

Some of you take these sorts of comments the wrong way. I guarantee if I were articulating this face to face there would be no misunderstanding. I'm very thankful for Cal, and he's done great, but he's still capable of more. Get that second title in 10 years and he's in the mega books. There should be zero debate about anything Cal related.

Ok. I'll bite. Duke sucks.
There.

By the way, let's not talk about how k won three titles in his first 30 years at duke. He won in 2010 with arguably the worst team to win a title in 20 years. I know, I know, he was able to get his team to the final four and the best teams in the field choked in their own regions.
Fact remains he had a frontline of lance Thomas and zoubek and won a title beating WV and butler in the final four.
He also choked several years he has arguably the best team.
It is really up to cal and how long he remains at UK. If he was here the next 20 years I would guess he would get to 4 titles.

Coach K has 5 championships based on a few things. First, hes a legendary coach. I have no problem saying that.

Second, he never left. He joined Duke during Trumans presidency. That not only gave him enough time, but it gave him something more valuable than that. He's fully connected. The media, the NCAA, the u19/Olympic team; dean of all coaches pretty much. It's created a huge gain for the guy and he does use this to his advantage.

All of that goes without saying. What's even crazier is Cal could have 3 to his 4 right now, and it nearly happened. That's why I say if Cal can get two championships, he's still on K's level, just a shorter time span. Same impact in all though. If Cal wins 3 in 15 seasons he's probably in a class above K actually. Quality over quantity.

Are you seriously wondering why the best coach in NCAAB is getting all the talent?

The only difference between now, and 2-3 years ago, is he's following the strategy of grouping more elite players together...that wasn't his method in the past. He'd go after 1 or 2 studs, then surround them with veterans/role players.
If Cal had won the championship in '10 or this season things might be different,but K now has Cal taking his leftovers and I just hope Cal is a good enough coach to overcome it, but I don't see it

I thought Cal said all this was happening now...we are college basketball...we are the needle...just shut up and win the title...

ADVERTISEMENT