ADVERTISEMENT

Getting out of a speeding ticket? Fight it or pay it?

trueblujr2

All-American
Dec 14, 2005
Just got a speeding ticket. 20 over. 45 in a 25 (that has no business being a 25). I noticed the cop and slowed down, but apparently too late. He was sitting in a little parking lot on the corner of Floydsburg and Ash. I turned left onto Ash and he pulled out of that parking lot and started following me for a short distance then turned on his lights. I pulled off into a driveway and got the ticket. He said he clocked me back on Floydsburg going 45.

So when I got home, I looked at the ticket later in the box labeled "Exact location of violation" it list "Ash Avenue". The speed limit on Ash is not 25. And he said he was ticketing me for speeding on Floydsburg.

So do I fight it since the ticket states the location of the violation incorrectly? Or is it just semantics and a waste of time. Ticket amount is 183 bucks.

Did he clock you? If not, coupled with the other stuff, fight that ish. If the cop isn't there, which he probably wont be, then full on lie about where you were on ashland. They cant prove you wrong.

Speeding tickets are petty money grabs 90% of thw time. Also have to pay 15 for traffic school to get the points removed, or 40 if you want to do it online. Good luck

I think your best bet is to fight it. From the facts you've given, I would think it would be obvious that the cop was malicious. Also, technicalities are the foundation of law. Take it to court.

Best bet is to call bluff, ask for a jury trial. They will see the cost isn't worth it and dismiss. You can do this on your own without an attorney, just stand your ground and be persistent!

Jason got it right. You will have to pay court costs which wil cost more. I had to go to court one time for my insurance not being on me. The case before me had a questionable outcome.

Basically a guy came well prepared. He had a chart, suit and tie. The cop that pulled him over is one that fits the mold. In Ohio you have to have a front and back license plate. This occurred in Ohio. It was dark and the guy didn't have a front plate. As he's getting ready to turn left a cop passes him and immeaditely turns around. Needless to say he got a ticket and tried to fight it. He claims the cop said things to him like I write the most tickets, have the most stops etc. One thing he did wrong was in a subtle way claimed to be a victim to DWB. He had a pretty good argument yet still lost and had to pay more. I was after him so after I talked to the judge, I asked how did the cop know he wasn't from kentucky, since we only require a back one. I wasn't trying to play lawyer but genuinely wanted to know. He basically said its Ohio and you have to assume they are Ohio drivers. I just think that's kind of bs and way to pull someone over it seemed very petty to me anyways.

You're paying court costs anyway. The least you can do is make them earn it. As long as you have the time, you aren't losing any (more) money by showing up at court.

Does your ticket say you acknowledged/admitted to going 45? They like to put that on paper a lot of times. Chances are decent that one of a few things will happen:

-cop doesn't show (you win)
-your circumstances and the error on the ticket get you off
-your judge will lower your fine amount to save you the points

You're entitled to your day in court, might as well use it. You certainly won't be cut any slack just by sending in your $183 check, which is unfortunately what most people do.

ALWAYS FIGHT SPEEDING TICKETS... It blows my mind why anyone would ever just pay the fine and move on considering how easy it is to fight it. Find a friend who's a lawyer and have him show up to court. I've had even the court costs thrown out, and that's in shady New Albany, IN where they have that ridiculous 55-mph speed trap on I-64.

The dumbest thing you can ever do with the law from speeding tickets up to murder 1 is admit guilt from the get-go and take the law's first offer.

Reactions: wildcatadam6
In unrelated news, 3 people have been murdered and raped on the corner of Floydsburg and Ash, with nary a cop to be found.

You should absolutely fight it. Go to court with a chip on your shoulder, don't take no for an answer and talk over the top of the judge just to show him who is the boss. Tell that cop and judge that you are a taxpayer and they both work for you. Be as intimidating as possible, threats of violence will help. After you win, tell the cop to bring you a sandwich for all the trouble that he has cost you. If he refuses, tell him that it's OK because his wife will.

Last edited:
speeding tickets are a racket. the limit should be much higher in most places and much lower in residential areas where kids play and whatnot where you almost never see "speed traps"

When I got my first and only speeding ticket, it was my first ticket of any sort, cop that pulled me over advised me to go to court and that it would be waived since it was my first ticket. So I went, ended up having to pay the god damn thing anyways.

Good gawd. I've probably received 10-15 speeding tickets in the last 40 years. Go to court and they will allow you to attend driving school which you can do online and it will remove the ticket from your record. As others have said. You're going to pay court costs so the best you can come out is to save a few bucks. If you lose you'll pay the max fine and your insurance rates will increase.

Good gawd. I've probably received 10-15 speeding tickets in the last 40 years. Go to court and they will allow you to attend driving school which you can do online and it will remove the ticket from your record. As others have said. You're going to pay court costs so the best you can come out is to save a few bucks. If you lose you'll pay the max fine and your insurance rates will increase.

RQ not wanting to pay up. Shocker.

When I got my first and only speeding ticket, it was my first ticket of any sort, cop that pulled me over advised me to go to court and that it would be waived since it was my first ticket. So I went, ended up having to pay the god damn thing anyways.
You should absolutely fight it. Go to court with a chip on your shoulder, don't take no for an answer and talk over the top of the judge just to show him who is the boss. Tell that cop and judge that you are a taxpayer and they both work for you. Be as intimidating as possible, threats of violence will help. After you win, tell the cop to bring you a sandwich for all the trouble that he has cost you. If he refuses, tell him that it's OK because his wife will.

Right onnnn! (from a Star Wars movie).

Just got a speeding ticket. 20 over. 45 in a 25 (that has no business being a 25). I noticed the cop and slowed down, but apparently too late. He was sitting in a little parking lot on the corner of Floydsburg and Ash. I turned left onto Ash and he pulled out of that parking lot and started following me for a short distance then turned on his lights. I pulled off into a driveway and got the ticket. He said he clocked me back on Floydsburg going 45.

So when I got home, I looked at the ticket later in the box labeled "Exact location of violation" it list "Ash Avenue". The speed limit on Ash is not 25. And he said he was ticketing me for speeding on Floydsburg.

So do I fight it since the ticket states the location of the violation incorrectly? Or is it just semantics and a waste of time. Ticket amount is 183 bucks.

My wife once got a speeding ticket for going - I kid you not - "approximately" 70 mph in a 65 mph zone. Still had to pay it.

If I'm reading the OP right, he was clocked speeding on Floydsburg, but was stopped and ticketed on Ash.

"Trublue, were you going 45 in a 25?"

"Well, yeah, but the ticket says..."

Stfu..next case.

Or, like Adam is saying, odds the cop even shows up at court can be slim. But, also keep in mind the assigned court date is given according to their existing court schedule. If they're there to testify in another matter in another courtroom, etc, good chance they'll be available for traffic court.

WWSHD?
sammy-hagar.jpg

next time berate the cop that pulls you over, fail to follow commands, curse at him, called him a p*ssy, and ask him if his dashboard camera is recording. Make sure it is. Maybe even swing at him.

It could be a slow day on the Paddock. Will maybe need something to talk about.

And don't forget to mention that the only reason they pulled you over was because you are (fill in your ethnic group).

You took the ticket? That is sooooo yesterday....The trending thing would have been to exit the vehicle and shout "this ends today" as you flee on foot.

People bitch about the tickets they get, while failing to acknowledge how lucky they are they don't get pulled over the other 99 times out of 100 they are speeding.

The thing about "the cop probably won't show up" is generally a big FALSE. They don't have to show up on the date your ticket shows. That is for you to either go in and plead guilty and pay and be done (you of course can pay long before then and have court date cancelled), or to plead not guilty. If you plead not guilty and want to contest it, you'll be given another court date and the cop will be informed of that one as well. Unless vacation or a day off and he says "screw it", he'll most likely be there.

I got one in December in Hardin County. Cop was sitting on other side of the road in the dark. Never saw him. I was doing 59 in a 40 maybe, but he knocked it down to 10 over. Went to courthouse, paid it but signed up for online traffic school. In hindsight, I'd probably choose to sit in actual traffic school now. That online thing is extremely long and boring as hell.

Reactions: _nelson3

So you are guilty and you want to fight it?

Sounds pretty scuzzy.

I can understand asking for architectural advice on the Paddock, but legal? Lawyers don't have time to cruise internet forums.
I guarantee you that lawyers have exponentially more time on their hands during the day than architects.

I guarantee you that lawyers have exponentially more time on their hands during the day than architects.

I'll see that and raise you that both have more funny in their elbows than you have in your entire body. Exponentially more.

ADVERTISEMENT