ADVERTISEMENT

FWIW: UK's first public scrimmage

For what it's worth, when I saw the thread title, and then saw who posted it, I assumed this was a jab at the Poythress/lineup thread.

Agree with the OP. Our offense is now on life-support. No telling how bad we'll be. No reason to even pay any attention to this coming season. If summer pick-up games aren't on the level of a FF game...then there's no hope.

Every year these types of reports tend to give a very glowing take on KY born players , not sure if it's homerism or that lesser players try harder in this setting . Josh Carrier , Brandon Stockton , John Hood are good examples of this . Maybe Willis played good in that particular game but if he is the best player then we are in deep ish .

Reactions: michaeluk26
If Briscoe doesnt get his priorities straight we could be looking at a Ryan Harrow 2.0

Add that to the fact that Poy is gonna baby his knee all year and we could be in a heap of trouble.

Poy's knee will be fine, and as for Briscoe, he has just gotten used to all the All-Star games, and the level of intensity they have. Once he is there for a week or two, he will pick it up, or get left behind. Ulis and Murray, along with Matthews, and Mulder will give us plenty of options. There is nothing like sitting and watching everyone else get minutes to get your motor running at a few more rpm's.

Reactions: Catdaddy96
Every year these types of reports tend to give a very glowing take on KY born players , not sure if it's homerism or that lesser players try harder in this setting . Josh Carrier , Brandon Stockton , John Hood are good examples of this . Maybe Willis played good in that particular game but if he is the best player then we are in deep ish .

I think it's that we see the biggest difference between what a player can really do and what they actually do in real games in that type of environment. It isn't necessarily the KY kid effect, but more a role/bench player thing.

What I mean is that Willis is obviously talented and skilled, but that doesn't get to shine as much in a real game where he's facing actual defense, isn't the focal point of the offense, can't make mistakes, etc.

I also don't think I've ever seen a team scrimmage where the elite guys go with the same intensity against the role players. They kind of let them take the reigns a bit and don't embarrass them.

So what you see is guys with plenty of ability actually showing that ability, so it stands out more.

Basketball is a strange game. The best player on the team doesn't always play the best game. OP never said he was the best player, just played the best game. Our team is perfectly fine.
Besides, as mentioned previously, this was a pickup game, not a real one.

Summer Scrimmage reports are nice and fun, but they're pretty pointless IMO.

Would like to have seen WCS and Skal matched up on a few possessions, even at 3/4 speed, just to get some sense for Skal's height and weight. Did he look like a pretty fair physical match for WCS? was he able to make any low post moves on him?

It was definitely cool to see. Skal is actually a little bigger than I thought size wise. He hit a majority of his shot of the Ulis assist (but so did everybody). Plays in the mid post/short corner area a lot (Cal will adjust that for sure) but it could of been more of Willie's defensive prowess that kept him out there though.

I think it's that we see the biggest difference between what a player can really do and what they actually do in real games in that type of environment. It isn't necessarily the KY kid effect, but more a role/bench player thing.

What I mean is that Willis is obviously talented and skilled, but that doesn't get to shine as much in a real game where he's facing actual defense, isn't the focal point of the offense, can't make mistakes, etc.

I also don't think I've ever seen a team scrimmage where the elite guys go with the same intensity against the role players. They kind of let them take the reigns a bit and don't embarrass them.

So what you see is guys with plenty of ability actually showing that ability, so it stands out more.
I hear Matt Pilgrim was a beast.

He lost me at "Willis was the best player on the floor". Either the players weren't trying very hard or yeah the players weren't trying very hard.

I am just glad we got a scrimmage report. Of course the professors on this board will break it down and complain how Willis can't be the best player in ONE scrimmage where the audience were mostly 8 year olds. Damn

Thanks. So, an inch shorter than Willie, and ten pounds lighter? That would be my guess. That would make him roughly the size Nerlens was at Kentucky.

Him and Willie are really close in height I'd say Skal is 6'10 in shoes easy. Not sure his official weight but he is more sturdily built than Willie.

For what it's worth, when I saw the thread title, and then saw who posted it, I assumed this was a jab at the Poythress/lineup thread.

Thanks Gonzo. It was a complete jab. It is just hilarious that people worry about these types of things in June/July, or ever. Briscoe is a stud and will be fine. Cal will most likely start 3 guards and UK will be great.

I thought I made a post saying it was a joke thread...but yet people still kept thinking it was serious. I give up. This board ususally picks up on parody threads quickly, especially when the other one it mimicks is still on the first page. Epic fail by me today.

A guy like Briscoe seems to be one of those guys that can keep a team loose during intense times.

I know, as many have pointed out, that these scrimmages in June mean very little. But, they are still nice to hear and gives us something to talk about during the dead time (for basketball) that is summer. I appreciate the OP's post and his impressions so thanks for posting and if you get to see more don't be afraid to put it up on here for those of us anxious to hear more. Don't worry about the critical comments above, they're more meaningless than scrimmages in June.

Thanks op wish I had been there to see it. Cal will get this bunch of player into a good team. Matthews is going to surprise a lot of fans.

ADVERTISEMENT