ADVERTISEMENT

Fultz or Alkins? Who you got?

Jun 2, 2015
All of this will be assuming that we get bridges, then I find it tough to imagine a scenario in which we get both alkins and fultz. So, since they are similar enough players, which one would you take?
Both players have really had a great summer. To me, this is the most interesting thing about the 2016 class.

fultz. we are going to get monk. and if you are also saying we are going to get bridges too....i think we will need another guard that wants to be a distributer. with monk/bridges/mulder/mathews another guys to dish it seems to make the most sense.

Lately, I like Alkins better but I see BostonCats point. If we end up landing Fox, he can be the distributor and I'll take Alkins. Though I also agree that with the Arkansas debacle, Monk is extremely likely. With Matthews and Mulder on the bench, (and assuming we get Fox and Monk) we may not not need/get either.

Fultz and for me its not close . That kid is the best SG I have seen in the 16 OR 15 class with the exception of Monk .. Fultz is an offensive machine and he is a better shooter then his numbers suggest. Boston is right as well. I think Monk , Fultz and Fox or Simmons will be the 3 guards we get along with Bridges , Killyea - Jones and another big .

Hard not to want Akins. Grown man already. Fultz is very smooth though. It's why Cal makes the big bucks

I feel Cal takes the first two out of three to commit from the Monk/Fultz/Alkins trio. It's just not probably to land all three. None of those guys are going to want to come off the bench, especially Monk and Alkins - who look more and more like surefire lottery picks by the day.

Let's be real though, what an absolutely wonderful problem to have. Fultz is the type of wing that could change the trajectory of an entire program in his one or two seasons in college. To look at him as a plan B or C, while appropriate, is absolutely insane.

I feel at times like some of our fans are like the people who visit the Grand Canyon but have no idea what they are witnessing. Calipari has made an already beautiful pastime something that is now another level of extraordinary in terms of excellence. If we as fans get another decade from him, we need to consider relishing the reality before us and just take it the splendor of it all. This type of thing just doesn't happen, not even at Kentucky. It's truly remarkable.

Reactions: UKhoopCat
At first I thought Smith over Fox, but after watching Fox, I have now switched to Fox. I'll take a class of Fox, Monk and Bridges.

Both have high intangibles (effort, character, bb iq). Like Boston said, it depends on Monk. We will need scoring.

arent they both adidas?

alkins is, fultz spent most of the summer playing for under armor. interestingly enough....meyer tweeted a few days ago about how never in his time covering hoops recruiting have shoe companies had more influence. even last night, after the game, alkins said something to the effect: "the adidas family".

with adidas paying out 200 mil to harden, under armor stock blowing up, i think it will be harder then ever to pull kids from different camps.

schools like uk and duke should still be ok for the most part. uk has Cal and the NBA, duke has coach k and team usa.

Fultz is the better all around basketball player while Alkins is a beast. Both really good players but I will go with Fultz, he's the one that will be wearing blue.

Man this is tough. I like both of them honestly. Fultz if I gotta choose though. I think by this time next year Fultz will be the clear cut better player of the 2. Fultz is looking like a top 10 player in a loaded class.

Monk
Fultz
Bridges
SJK
Ayton
Wynyard

If Ulis leaves then we get Fox too.

it's almost impossible for me to pick, but gun to my head I may have to take Fultz. That changed last night. I was an Alkins guy because I loved the toughness and bulldog mentality (and he proved he can get hot and stroke 6 3s in 20 minutes). But Fultz has the uncanny ability to get around defenders and get the ball up on the rim with a soft touch, get his shot off, etc that you don't see much in guys his age. He's always under control, just slippery enough to do what he wants without being out of control.
I agree Jason. I think Fultz has a more rounded game. I've been sold on Fultz for awhile now.

I'll take Alkins. The kid just has that indefinable quality and presence on the floor where you know he's going to be a star. Murray has that same quality.

Reactions: Cawood86
it's almost impossible for me to pick, but gun to my head I may have to take Fultz. That changed last night. I was an Alkins guy because I loved the toughness and bulldog mentality (and he proved he can get hot and stroke 6 3s in 20 minutes). But Fultz has the uncanny ability to get around defenders and get the ball up on the rim with a soft touch, get his shot off, etc that you don't see much in guys his age. He's always under control, just slippery enough to do what he wants without being out of control.
Very true. Fultz is very deceptive around the rim

I guess I'd be more sold on Fultz if he hadn't missed every freakin' thing he threw up last night - and his 3-pt attempts weren't even close.

But even though he was off, he just kept on chucking them up. The fact is, if you look at the stats, he's the main reason they lost the game. I'd agree he made some pretty moves to the basket, but at some point it doesn't matter if they don't go in.

One thing I will say is Fultz has the tools to be an elite defender on the perimeter. He'd be deadly paired with Fox. He gave Alkins a lot of grief. I would be a little concerned about Alkins ability to guard smaller, quicker guards. He'd be better at the WF position.

Man this is tough. I like both of them honestly. Fultz if I gotta choose though. I think by this time next year Fultz will be the clear cut better player of the 2. Fultz is looking like a top 10 player in a loaded class.

Monk
Fultz
Bridges
SJK
Ayton
Wynyard

If Ulis leaves then we get Fox too.
this is spot on . Fultz could be a NBA all star IMO because he is a major offensive weapon .

I'll take either one. They are both very good.

But, I would rather have a Fox, Monk, and Bridges trio for our perimeter guys.

Then add a big like Killeya-Jones or Ayton (if he reclassified) and I will feel pretty good.

Starters
G Fox
G Monk
F Bridges
F Ayton
C Humphries

Key Reserves
G Mulder
G Matthews
F Wynyard

That's a solid 8-man rotation.

I would love to have Alkins or Fultz in addition to that, but I can't see it happening. Not enough minutes on the wing for all those guys.

If we don't get Monk or Bridges, then give me one of those guys. And if we miss on both Monk and Bridges, then I would love to have Fultz and Alkins together.

Alkins...as long as ulis is still here give me the bigger , stronger guys to go with him

Alkins- I love his physicality and ability to finish through contact. I really wanna see what Cal can do with Little Lance.

Zero complaints from me if UK was to land Fultz though lol.

ADVERTISEMENT