ADVERTISEMENT

From 2010-15 Calipari Is 41-14 For 74.5% Vs Ranked Teams, Best Ever By UK Coach

dlh331

All-SEC
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2003
Since the rankings started in the 1948-49 season UK is 285-179 for 61.4% vs ranked teams. Each coach:

Rupp 61-39 for 61%

Hall 57-42 for 57.6%

Sutton 12-6 for 66.7%

Pitino 49-27 for 64.5%

Smith 62-42 for 59.6%

BCG 3-9 for 25%

Calipari 41-14 for 74.5%

Darryl

I believe we will win those games , that is the confidence I have in what Cal is doing . Before that it was more of a hope , that feeling correlates to his significant percentage over the other UK coaches . There has never been a UK coach I wanted to stay more than Cal .

No posts hardly on this thread. Very odd to me. As much as CAL kills it, more hate. Hope he just keeps taking em out with % going up!! Im not undervaluing whats going down here. May end up arguing he is our GOAT!! And it not being debatable!! This is beautiful people, suggest we get more united. CAL is owed 3 more mem vs kan yr....wall bougie bled yr and last yr. Im in the camp that thinks our less hyped team this yr has the exact ingredients to steal one!! Appreciate this ride BBN!! Lead by the best damn coach in college bball!!

He does post pretty insane numbers. I don't think we can call him UK's GOAT just yet. Couple more titles though (and I'm sure he'll get 2 more), and I'll agree in all regards that he's the greatest coach UK has ever had.

That said, right now, he's #2 behind Rupp.

No posts hardly on this thread. Very odd to me. As much as CAL kills it, more hate. Hope he just keeps taking em out with % going up!! Im not undervaluing whats going down here. May end up arguing he is our GOAT!! And it not being debatable!! This is beautiful people, suggest we get more united. CAL is owed 3 more mem vs kan yr....wall bougie bled yr and last yr. Im in the camp that thinks our less hyped team this yr has the exact ingredients to steal one!! Appreciate this ride BBN!! Lead by the best damn coach in college bball!!

That's because many people use message boards as a microphone for negativity.

I mean the stats don't like. Cal is the man.

Should We MAYBE have 1 or 2 more titles? Perhaps... But 4 final fours in 5 years. Really?

People who say "wel cal blew it blah blah blah" don't take into account that he got us into the position to "blow it" in the first place

[QUOTE="Rhavicc
That said, right now, he's #2 behind Rupp.[/QUOTE]

Compmletely agree. 2 gets him the argument....3 is the walkoff no debate, Goodnight Now!!

Yet you still have idiots who hate on him in our own fan base lol.

There is not a coach anywhere that is loved by 100% of their fanbase, yet the hate crowd is very few and far between. Problem with you and the like I would venture to guess is you take criticism of cal as hate. You said it best a couple of quotes down, should we probably have one or two more titles, YES we should. Too much talent has come through here to produce only one. Yes, Cal is the reason we are in position to have a chance to win it but if you give him the accolades you also have to hold him accountable for failure to win it with the talent he has assembled.

I have complete confidence we will field a team while Cal is here that will be in a position to win it almost every year. At this point, I do not have the confidence that Cal will coach us to another title just yet. His bench coaching is just not where it needs to be, if it were, we would easily have at least two more titles and talking about him as the GOAT. Maybe we still will, but just not now.

/\/\/\

And your right. Story is still being written and numbers will dictate when he is done. Is CAL perfect, no he is human. But thats the whole point about our fan base and why we are mawked. People will bitch if we dont win every other yr. And again numbers are facts, and no one in modern college is hangin em at that rate. If CAL had the time here Wooden or K had/still have.....CAL would have smoked em all. Hard to argue Wooden, but I know who Sam Gilbert was. So uncheat west is tainted to me. Thus cant and wont ever put Wooden 1st

What's really ridiculous is who has beaten in the NCAA Tournament. UK has faced some heavies in March and done pretty well.

Reactions: GonzoCat90 and Aike
What's really ridiculous is who has beaten in the NCAA Tournament. UK has faced some heavies in March and done pretty well.

Look at the teams/coaches Cal has beat in the NCAAT while at UK, then compare that record against the UL's, Duke's, KU's, UF's of the world....I'll bet its not that close.

Good point.

We were underdogs to OSU and UNC in 2011.

We were dogs to WSU and UL in 2014. By the time we played UM and UW I think the games were closer to toss-ups, but we would have been dogs when the tourney started.

Think back through the last few decades of Kentucky basketball. How often have we won as the underdog in the NCAA tournament?

We won a couple in 1985. 1998 over Duke. After that, it gets a little murky.

Yep.

Seeding for the NCAA Tourney started in 79. From 79-2009, UK beat 21 teams seeded 5 or better (and 10 of those wins came from 96-98). In Cal's 6 years, UK has won 13 of those games.

And since it's such a popular topic on this board now, just to compare, Duke has won 8 of those games the last 6 years.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
The NCAA Tournament comes down to a lot of luck- and I'm not just talking in-game stuff. It comes down to the committee and then who beats who in front of you. Under Cal, UK hasn't gotten many breaks. The Cats have earned their success in March these last 6 seasons.

wcc31, Aike, and mj2k10 - nope. Cal has trouble winning the big one. See West Virginia '10, UConn '11, UConn '14 and Wisconsin '15.

Sunshine pumpers, all of ya!

Anyone who says we would "easily have at least 2 more titles" suffers from a fundamental misunderstanding of the laws of probability, lacks common sense, or a bit of both.
This.

There's the brute fact that he's winning titles at UK at around the same rate as K at Duke (even if you eliminate K's years before his first F4).

Then, there are the probabilistic realities of a single elimination tournament.

Finally, there's the fact that there are a handful of other programs who have nearly the same star average as UK, either by having top 5 classes with less turnover (Arizona, Duke, UNC until recently) or by just accruing five stars over a larger number of classes instead of one year at a time (eg. Florida, Kansas, UCONN, OSU). That's not to mention schools which have gathered serious talent just a hair below (though their high kids don't always turn into draft picks) like UCLA, Louisville, Michigan State, Syracuse, etc.

And again, in a single elimination tournament, teams with merely four star averages are a threat to anyone. As for teams weaker than that? Well, Cal has only lost in the tourney to 1 seeds, 2 seeds, and National Champs - in other words, it just doesn't happen.

Can you imagine the ish our eeyores would give Cal if he had some of the recent results of the other elite coaches?

If he produced one of the few 15/2 losses in history with the roster K had, there would be 50 joyous, gloating front page threads saying that he's the worst Xs and Os coach in history. AND K had another 14/3 loss.
Or what about Self's million mid major flameouts?
Or what about Sean Miller not making the Final Four once with crazy talent every year?

No, it doesn't make sense to say that Cal has exhibited a weakness because he doesn't have one or two more in 6 years. Not by any measure. Not if you know the second thing about probability, about UK history, about other elite coaches' rates of winning - from no angle does it make sense.

Educate yourself, people. Take a damn stats class.

Last edited:
wcc31, Aike, and mj2k10 - nope. Cal has trouble winning the big one. See West Virginia '10, UConn '11, UConn '14 and Wisconsin '15.

Sunshine pumpers, all of ya!

Everyone but Wooden has trouble winning the BIG ONE.

Reactions: Aike and Jkwo
Since the rankings started in the 1948-49 season UK is 285-179 for 61.4% vs ranked teams. Each coach:

Rupp 61-39 for 61%

Hall 57-42 for 57.6%

Sutton 12-6 for 66.7%

Pitino 49-27 for 64.5%

Smith 62-42 for 59.6%

BCG 3-9 for 25%

Calipari 41-14 for 74.5%

Darryl
Good stuff.

Great thread with equally as great contributions. Feels like we say it every year, but if you're comparing us to perfection, you'll always be disappointed. If you compare us to the competition, it's hard to deny our accomplishments.

Reactions: TheThack
There is not a coach anywhere that is loved by 100% of their fanbase, yet the hate crowd is very few and far between. Problem with you and the like I would venture to guess is you take criticism of cal as hate. You said it best a couple of quotes down, should we probably have one or two more titles, YES we should. Too much talent has come through here to produce only one. Yes, Cal is the reason we are in position to have a chance to win it but if you give him the accolades you also have to hold him accountable for failure to win it with the talent he has assembled.

I have complete confidence we will field a team while Cal is here that will be in a position to win it almost every year. At this point, I do not have the confidence that Cal will coach us to another title just yet. His bench coaching is just not where it needs to be, if it were, we would easily have at least two more titles and talking about him as the GOAT. Maybe we still will, but just not now.

False. I take idiotic posts here in this very forum for what they are. I don't think criticism of Cal means hate.

Seems like you fall in line. You aren't an idiot, but you are terribly misguided.

Reactions: stuway
"No, it doesn't make sense to say that Cal has exhibited a weakness because he doesn't have one or two more in 6 years. Not by any measure. Not if you know the second thing about probability, about UK history, about other elite coaches' rates of winning - from no angle does it make sense.
Educate yourself, people. Take a damn stats class."

Stats go out the window when the ball is tossed up in the air. Can spin it anyway you guys want to. I will say what I have said in the past, despite all the success, if Cal was any other place than UK, most of you would be saying how horrible of a coach he is to not be able to win it with the players he has recruited and coached. Bill Self is constantly knocked on this board and he has exactly the same amount of titles that Cal does. Who did Self Beat again? Calipari has shown thus far, then when the lights shine the brightest, he doesn't. He outcoaches himself and so far only one time did he manage to not coach a team out of a championship but he even gave that one a good run.

Sorry but I hold a coach to high standards as a coach holds his players to high standards. I demand the very best they got and then if they get beat, then tip your hat to the other team/coach, etc. If we are getting the very best that Cal has as a coach (not a recruiter), then you guys are right, it will take some luck for us to win more. .

Stats go out the window when the ball is tossed up in the air. Can spin it anyway you guys want to. I will say what I have said in the past, despite all the success, if Cal was any other place than UK, most of you would be saying how horrible of a coach he is to not be able to win it with the players he has recruited and coached. Bill Self is constantly knocked on this board and he has exactly the same amount of titles that Cal does. Who did Self Beat again? Calipari has shown thus far, then when the lights shine the brightest, he doesn't. He outcoaches himself and so far only one time did he manage to not coach a team out of a championship but he even gave that one a good run.

Stats go out the window when they don't support your argument, you mean.

Bill Self is mocked because he loses to mid majors. If and when Cal loses, it's to elite teams where the game could go either way. That's the entire point of this thread.

Who did Self beat again? Who did Cal beat for his title? Are you even reading these as you type them? What point are you trying to make?

I will say what I have said in the past, despite all the success, if Cal was any other place than UK, most of you would be saying how horrible of a coach he is to not be able to win it with the players he has recruited and coached.

You're completely discounting that he's playing mostly with freshmen, or at least coaching teams led by freshmen. I recall how in the beginning people marveled that he could get freshmen like Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe to not only play together unselfishly, but win - with a team dominated with freshmen. His success is now used against him in that way.

Look, this isn't Dean Smith, with McDonald's AAs (and some all time greats) playing into their junior and senior years - and getting beat by some lesser seed in the NCAAT. It's not that....yes, they are great, but..... I'm old enough to recall Al McGuire say "the best thing about freshmen.....is that they eventually become sophomores."

Reactions: Aike
I hope he stays until he retires, he gets the kids to come here and play for us, play together and compete for a chance at a title, 5 out of 6 years is awesome, Cal can coach them and tell them what they need to do to win but the Players have to do it on the court, looking forward to another chance at greatness this year:cool2:

I am sorry, and no disrespect intended, but I get so tired of the argument that he should have won more with the talent he has had here.

First, regardless of the talent level it's a one and done tournament and other schools have pretty good talent and pretty good teams too. No one is gifted a championship simply because they have what is perceived as the most talent. Talent is key but it is not the only thing. Talent also puts a major target on your back.

Second, for the most part the talent at Kentucky has been very good but also very young talent that has not had the benefit of playing years together to create a cohesive team. The fact that year after year Coach Cal puts together a team of largely the latest and greatest high school kids that typically makes deep runs in the tournament is amazing. But the best young talent does not automatically mean you have the best team when other also talented teams have experience and years of playing together as a unit.

To suggest that he or any coach SHOULD have more titles suggests a lack of understanding that the ups and downs, highs and lows, emotions and hot streaks have on the outcome of one 40 minute game. And let's not even consider the impact of officials and fans. When you watch an NBA final best of 7 and see one team beaten easily only to come back the next game and win handily it should let you know that on any given night any team can win or lose.

Reactions: Mike-D and Jkwo
Someone crunched some numbers of Cal vs Rick in the past 9 years on games they were favored by at least 10 pts.. I'll give you Cals.. His record is 193-3 in those games.. I know it goes back to Memphis and I'm too lazy to only do his UK numbers..

It's pretty remarkable this day and age especially with how crazy the tourney has got. Dating back to his other schools , Cal,has a great tourney record too. The ones that get me are the fans (you know the kind). That love the recruiting success and the big wins but as soon as something goes south they complain with the same arguments.
[ Cal needs to play zone, player A needs to play more, you can't win this way, I don't care about the NBA , recruit players that want to stay and love college, we need to press more. We were UK before and we will be UK after, free throws, we need to,shoot more threes, ..........did I leave any out?

At the end of the day, whoever replaces him as the next coach is gonna have some big shoes to fill. When we only get one maybe two top 20 recruit and our class is not even in the top 5 , or when we get beat in the first round. I wonder how the same people will,react. None of these has happened while
Cal has been coach

Stats go out the window when the ball is tossed up in the air.
Every bookie in Vegas is licking his chops at the prospect of doing business with stubborn old "I know better than the damn stats" guys like you.

I will say what I have said in the past, despite all the success, if Cal was any other place than UK, most of you would be saying how horrible of a coach he is to not be able to win it with the players he has recruited and coached.
Uh. This has been the best initial 6 year run at any school in history except maybe Roy at UNC, and we all know what was happening there. Anybody who makes that argument is an idiot. And he's unable to win it all? That's news to me.

Bill Self is constantly knocked on this board and he has exactly the same amount of titles that Cal does. Who did Self Beat again?
I can name 5 mid majors he didn't beat, while Cal has only lost to 1 seeds, 2 seeds, and national champs in the tourney at UK.
And Cal getting beat in the finals in the last seconds by Self's one seed 2008 KU team, one of the statistically best teams of all time, is some big point of embarrassment, while you don't find it relevant to mention Cal being undefeated against him at UK, while consistently manhandling Self's top 10 squads, including getting a revenge championship win?

Furthermore, Self has 1 title and he gets mild derision on this board.
Izzo has one title and he's worshipped on this board.
Brad Stevens has zero titles and he's worshipped on this board.

Has it occurred to you that more context than just title numbers is required to figure out why Self is given a hard time? Cal has the best talent over the past 6 years and the first or second best results. Self had the 3rd best talent (after Cal and K) and his results in that time are on the low end of the top 10.

Calipari has shown thus far, then when the lights shine the brightest, he doesn't. He outcoaches himself and so far only one time did he manage to not coach a team out of a championship but he even gave that one a good run.

Sorry but I hold a coach to high standards as a coach holds his players to high standards. I demand the very best they got and then if they get beat, then tip your hat to the other team/coach, etc. If we are getting the very best that Cal has as a coach (not a recruiter), then you guys are right, it will take some luck for us to win more. .
The only coach in CBB history to meet your standards is John Wooden.

Roy had a team just as good as our '15 in '97 and he didn't even make the final four.
Coach K had a team just as good as our '15 in '99 and he lost in the championship.
Rick Pitino had the overall number 1 seed in '09 and didn't make the final four.

Donovan and Roy have both missed the tournament with five or more 5 stars on the roster.
Boeheim and Jay Wright and Mark Few miss the Final Four with top seeds like it's their job.

Shaka and Marshall are impressive, but their runs still aren't as good as Cal's was at UMASS with two players on his entire roster that held offers from a single high major.

And then 15/2, 14/3 for K, Morehead State for Rick, five mid major losses for Self, all of these coming very recently..

I could go on and on forever.

You're holding Cal to a different standard than other coaches because you have personal reasons to dislike him that existed before the hire.

He's at worst the second best coach in the country.

He's got UK performing at a level that we've only seen twice in history (Rupp and Rick at their peaks).

And you didn't say anything to deal with the rest of my first post.

100% of it still stands.

It's one thing to say that Cal has made mistakes. Nobody would ever begrudge you that comment.

But when you run around saying "Cal's not a very good coach - he just recruits so well that the players save him from getting beat", and then complain that you can't even give feedback about Cal without getting bashed, you're being intellectually dishonest.
That's not the feedback that you give to someone for your team who you want to see improve and succeed.

That's taunting language for someone that you hope will fail.

That's a prejudice established before the man stepped on campus - a perspective blurred by dislike - wishful thinking about the man because you want to see someone else on the throne.

The problem is that that perspective doesn't conform to reality. In saying that Cal is a sub-par coach, you are revealing that you're ignorant - from a historical perspective (UMASS and other coaches in UK history), from a stats perspective (consecutive independent probabilities), and from a common sense perspective (he'd be one of the biggest frauds in history if he went to 4/6 Final Fours with a title, had Jay Bilas and Seth Greenberg praising his Xs and Os, was voted one of the top Xs and Os coaches in the country by his fellow D1 coaches, etc).

The simplest solution to these conflicting notions is not that all those coaches and Jay Bilas are wrong. It's that a certain someone is irrational and severely biased but too simple to know it.

Last edited:
Wow!! What a thtead. First one in a while a lot of strong posters united and killed this thread!! Nice to see the names defending Cal, a lot of the boards better posters overall.

Honestly, the hell with cats2010 and his kind. His points suck and he seems miserable. Who has time to read, let alone argue with a miserable fool. Welcome to IGNORE. You're awful.

Last edited:
Reactions: stuway and cats2010
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT