ADVERTISEMENT

Freddie Maggard KSR article: "Is UK On Week One Upset Alert?"

uofkFTW18

Senior
Gold Member
Jul 26, 2012
KSR Link

Nice early breakdown from Freddie Maggard on whether or not UK is on "upset alert" against the Ragin Cajuns on September 5th.

Reactions: fvanhoose
I don’t think UK is on upset alert but surely that term will be thrown around by hair sprayed Heads. [laughing]

I like Freddie's writing style as well as his content.

KSR Link

Nice early breakdown from Freddie Maggard on whether or not UK is on "upset alert" against the Ragin Cajuns on September 5th.

I don't think they will be on upset alert because of where it is on the schedule. If it had been after 1 or 2 of the cupcakes and UK had rolled in those it could have been because players could have taken it for granted. But being the opener, players are ready to hit someone new I think UK comes ready to play, but the the Warhawks aren't your typical cupcake, they have won 9 games the last 3-4 years so they know how to win and expect to win, so they are doing more than coming for a beating and a check.

I think this article is a good eye opener. I have seen many predict 7 or 8 wins this season and while it's fun to be optimistic it's just a year too early. Ky is building a Mo type of program and we are only in the 3rd year. That means we basically need to red shirt every player we recruit. If you have the access to the recent HOB article with the head recruiter basically says we need 5 years to put a truly competitive and deep team on the field. Actually ever time we play a freshman we set back the master plan to have sec depth in the future. I think there will be improvement in all areas and even some different type of DE play since the 2 NFL caliber players were drafted. We should win 6 and be very competitive in 10. Next year competitive in all 12.

Screen-Shot-2014-02-05-at-7.35.17-AM.png
I love seeing freddie as the football guru for KSR - he is more than knowledgeable and stays away from true homersim as much as one could expect.

Reactions: Brock28
That means we basically need to red shirt every player we recruit. If you have the access to the recent HOB article with the head recruiter basically says we need 5 years to put a truly competitive and deep team on the field. Actually ever time we play a freshman we set back the master plan to have sec depth in the future.
I disagree on the RS part. If a FR is better than what you have, you play them. (Even AL started a true FR at LT last year.) This meant the likes of Elam & Boom & some WR's (rightfully) played last year and will mean Conrad, George AA, & some FR C's play this year. Additionally, if a player is likely not to be here 5 years, an RS season is a lost season. Good players playing begets more good players coming. Part of why top programs are able to keep recruiting top players is because they know many guys ahead of them will be gone in 4, even 3 years.

Hudspeth is a helluva coach and he will have his team ready to play. They will fight hard and give us all they've got. I think it will be closer than we would like, but in the end a W. Probably in the neighborhood of 14-17 points.

They will feild a team whose classes ranked 79, 98 101 & 89 by rivals..they might have a handful of low 3 stars. They dont have a player that would even earn an offer from Stoops...lol
We have a team loaded with elite 4 star talen who have been training day and night in the world class high peformance program for years. They are getting tranformed into elite football players who will execute the gameplans of our elite coaching staff. Do I need to remind everyone that our head coach was the architect of a national championship defense at FSU?

Reactions: Deeeefense
Freddie is right, of course. Not only could UK lose, but it will be a sexy pick by many. Up to our guys to write the story of what happened in Commonwealth Stadium in the first game after it was rebuit. I get a feeling that only a bowl game outcome will be acceptable to this crew. That's made much harder if you don't beat the non-conference teams you should beat.

Still have a ways to go to get rid of the "shaking in our boots" mentality where we're expecting to get beat by Sun Belt teams in what is the most-anticipated season opener in a decade, where we're returning 90 percent of our playmakers coming off a season where we were two plays away from seven wins.

If we're doing anything but winning our first game by 2-3 touchdowns (at least) in year 3 of the Stoops' regime, than this coaching staff deserves to be on the hot seat, and if by some complete miracle ULL beats us, they deserve to be fired. I see absolutely zero scenario where this is anything but a two touchdown win for us--come on man.

Stuff like this makes me so disappointed. Even after how far we've come in the Stoops era, we're still a victim of our own losing mentalities. We've experienced so much losing that we're still always waiting for the rug to get pulled out from under us even when things appear on the up and up.

I'm not suggesting that ULL is a team that should be taken for granted by any stretch of the imagination, but to even suggest that we could somehow get beaten in this game just reeks of a deeply rooted loser's mentality.

Come on man. If the thought of us getting beaten by ULL crosses your mind in year three of the Stoops era, and you're doing anything but screaming in anger and asking for someone's job, than you need to take a look in the mirror and ask why you even watch this team to begin with.

Reactions: martycat1
They will feild a team whose classes ranked 79, 98 101 & 89 by rivals..they might have a handful of low 3 stars. They dont have a player that would even earn an offer from Stoops...lol
We have a team loaded with elite 4 star talen who have been training day and night in the world class high peformance program for years. They are getting tranformed into elite football players who will execute the gameplans of our elite coaching staff. Do I need to remind everyone that our head coach was the architect of a national championship defense at FSU?

Still have a ways to go to get rid of the "shaking in our boots" mentality where we're expecting to get beat by Sun Belt teams in what is the most-anticipated season opener in a decade, where we're returning 90 percent of our playmakers coming off a season where we were two plays away from seven wins.

If we're doing anything but winning our first game by 2-3 touchdowns (at least) in year 3 of the Stoops' regime, than this coaching staff deserves to be on the hot seat, and if by some complete miracle ULL beats us, they deserve to be fired. I see absolutely zero scenario where this is anything but a two touchdown win for us--come on man.

Stuff like this makes me so disappointed. Even after how far we've come in the Stoops era, we're still a victim of our own losing mentalities. We've experienced so much losing that we're still always waiting for the rug to get pulled out from under us even when things appear on the up and up.

I'm not suggesting that ULL is a team that should be taken for granted by any stretch of the imagination, but to even suggest that we could somehow get beaten in this game just reeks of a deeply rooted loser's mentality.

Come on man. If the thought of us getting beaten by ULL crosses your mind in year three of the Stoops era, and you're doing anything but screaming in anger and asking for someone's job, than you need to take a look in the mirror and ask why you even watch this team to begin with.

I guess you didn't see us get pounded by WKU and lose to UL again? Just sayin.....Stoops still has a lot to prove....

I agree he deserves the hot seat if we even come close to losing to ULL....

I will also add he deserves the hot seat if we lose to UL or Vandy again. There is no reason UK should ever lose to UL or Vandy again for the forseeable future. If you can't even beat those two schools consistently, UK will NEVER climb in the SEC and will remain the worst program in the SEC along with Vandy.

Something has to change soon.....

I personally will be happy with 6 wins and a bowl IF we beat both Vandy and UL and keep recruiting top 25 classes.

Reactions: adolph rollingover
I guess you didn't see us get pounded by WKU and lose to UL again? Just sayin.....Stoops still has a lot to prove....

I will also add he deserves the hot seat if we lose to UL or Vandy again. There is no reason UK should ever lose to UL or Vandy again for the forseeable future. If you can't even beat those two schools consistently, UK will NEVER climb in the SEC and will remain the worst program in the SEC along with Vandy.

I personally will be happy with 6 wins and a bowl IF we beat both Vandy and UL and keep recruiting top 25 classes.
[sick][eyeroll]

A tidbit that should calm folks down somewhat: While Hudspeth has led ULL to a 9-4 record every year he's been there, he is winless against Power 5 teams.

And I hope the experts call for an upset and it keeps getting better down. I'm going to really pad my wallet if so!

A tidbit that should calm folks down somewhat: While Hudspeth has led ULL to a 9-4 record every year he's been there, he is winless against Power 5 teams.

True, they score lots of points but they don't play defense. You can chalk up a lot of wins in a weak conference like the Sunbelt by simply outscoring folks but when you hit the big stage without a defense, you're likely going down.

I'm sorry, I guess you think it's acceptable to keep losing to teams like WKU, Vandy, and UL. I guess we can lose to teams like that and climb as a program right?

Unless you believe that the team we will field this year is no different than the the 2013 team that Stoops inherited from Joker, the WKU loss is meaningless, we beat Vandy last season, and UofL was a top 25 team that we lost to by 4. I'm not sure what you point is - everyone knows this teams has been in very poor shape for several years but they also see the extraordinary improvements during the short time Stoops has been the head coach.

Reactions: martycat1
KSR Link

I don't see any reason to single out this game. You have to prepare well and give your best effort every week. Every game on every team's schedule is played to win by both teams.

Oh is Stoops going to have some of the high four star and five star talent like he had on that FSU NC team. If not IMO it is possible that UK could lose this game if it doesn't bring its A game.

I do not think UK loses this game but it being the first game of the season when teams are still trying to get it together is somewhat of a worry for me. UK is not at the stage where they can lay a stinker and beat that team. I would prefer having Eastern for the home opener.

Oh is Stoops going to have some of the high four star and five star talent like he had on that FSU NC team. If not IMO it is possible that UK could lose this game if it doesn't bring its A game.

I do not think UK loses this game but it being the first game of the season when teams are still trying to get it together is somewhat of a worry for me. UK is not at the stage where they can lay a stinker and beat that team. I would prefer having Eastern for the home opener.

They are a trap game, I don't think their talent level is anywhere near UK but don't think they don't have some good players. Its true they haven't beaten a P5 team, but they have played some within a TD, but they have also been blown out by some. The think about them is their coach has them believing they can win and compete against anyone and are not coming in like many of the lower conference schools do, that is to take their beating and collect their check. If UK lets them hang around for awhile they game could get scarey, but 2 early scores and a couple of 3 and outs for them will likely take the fight out of them. I think you are right thought, UK needs to bring their A game to get the satisfying win, anything else will likely make it a tight game. Uk's talent has climbed quite a bit the last 3 years, but it hasn't gotten to the point it can just show up and beat a decent team, not top 25, but very likely a top 60 team and one of the better ones not in a P5 conference.

:eyes: Hmmmm?????

There is no curse and everytime i hear the phrase "long suffering UK fan" I throw up a little bit. There is no such thing as lovable losers. It is gut check time for this fanbase. Pick your sorryasses up and fear nobody! We will never belong if we dont act like we do first.
Our goal is simple and singular and that is the SEC EAST CROWN. ALL THINGS RUN THROUGH THIS GOAL FIRST!!

Check the IP, mods. It's so obvious it's the same poster. TT Cat hasn't posted since Wednesday, so I think he was banned. It's starting to all add up LOL. The stupid sarcastic UL troll is back.

We hardly got pounded by WKU. It was a bad loss and an unexcusable loss but it was barely even more than 1 score.

There is no way that we can lose this game. It will be tough for Stoops to recover if he does lose. A loss like that means he will have to beat 2 big boys to break even on the year. You can afford to have some ugly upset losses as long as you have an equal number impressive upset wins. We lose to ULM then we better upset Georgia or Auburn to balance it out.

I am a Stoops supporter and think he is the coach we have needed for a long time but I will agree. His seat gets scalding hot if he loses the opener. I seriously don't think that will happen. Stoops has not been prone to the bad upsets. He has won the games he needs to except WKU in the first year.

I expect to win this game. They are a team from the sun belt and even though they are the best team in the sun belt it is still the sun belt conference. Also this isn't a trap game. A trap game basically means a game against a team that is overlooked however UK isn't going to overlook game one in the newly designed commonwealth.

ADVERTISEMENT