ADVERTISEMENT

For what it's worth, Jerry Meyer just changed his Crystal Ball pick for De'Aaron Fox to UK.

Fawrules

Junior
Nov 19, 2009
As the title states, Meyer just flipped his pick for Fox for UK. Take it with a grain of salt however because as of now at least we still trail Texas by a fairly wide margin, and before he changed to UK, he had Louisville of all people landing Fox.

Reactions: brianpoe
I think Jerry is right about this one. The kid pretty much dismissed Texas and Louisville in a recent interview.

Probably not worth much. However, I think Fox should be the priority, and if this is an indication of that, fine by me. Dennis Smith might (might not, though) be a slightly better prospect, but not by much, and he's a longshot for UK. Kobi Simmons play this summer did not match his ranking. That makes Fox the obvious choice at PG. He's a clear top 10 talent, and might be getting better.

Certainly in good shape with a talented big handful of versatile guards.

I have to be honest. Even thought it involves UK in a favor, I still can't take Crystal ball picks serious.

Especially from Meyer. Dude is about as uncreditable as they come.

Apart from glaring misses when it comes to guys like Brown and Murray, the consensus is usually fairly accurate. Example: We trailed in the crystal ball on all the elite recruits we missed on this Spring. The inherent flaw with the Crystal ball however, is that the percentages are often skewed by "experts" playing follow the leader and just changing their picks to whoever the current trend seems to be, and not because they have any real info/scoop of their own on the situation.

Last edited:
Certainly in good shape with a talented big handful of versatile guards.

It's if nothing else nice to hear that someone thinks we've picked up some momentum in the recruitment. Seeing as most see Smith as an NC state lock, (At least at the moment.) and that the UK staff seems to be cooling on Simmons of late. Give me one of that trio of point guards, Bridges, two of Monk, Fultz, and Atkins, and a good center and I'll be elated with the class.

Ah hell yes. I've been liking Fox a lot lately. Getting Fox, Monk, Bridges, SKJ, and Ayton would be like a big supersonic kick in the ass. I love Fultz but I swear if I had to pick I gotta go with my boy Malik. And I want Bridges too.

Ulis
Monk
Bridges
SKJ
Ayton

Fox
Mulder
Mathews
Humphries
Wynyard

Two words......LOADED SON.

Reactions: Jazzycat
Meyer flip flops like a fish out of water but he may just be trying to get a smart pick in early. From the comments I've seen Fox make about schools and coaches that are good with one-and-dones, I can't help but think that he's ours if we want him. As mj2k10 said, Simmons has not had a good summer (1 ast to 2.5 TO's--WOW) So if Cal moves his focus to Fox, I can't say I blame Jerry for this one.

Reactions: crosbycatfan3745
Ah hell yes. I've been liking Fox a lot lately. Getting Fox, Monk, Bridges, SKJ, and Ayton would be like a big supersonic kick in the ass. I love Fultz but I swear if I had to pick I gotta go with my boy Malik. And I want Bridges too.

Ulis
Monk
Bridges
SKJ
Ayton

Fox
Mulder
Mathews
Humphries
Wynyard

Two words......LOADED SON.

Minus Ulis who will be in the NBA after this season that is about right although Fultz will be on this team for sure so the starters would be Fox /Monk/Bridges /Wynyard/Ayton or Humphries

If Murray, Briscoe, and Ulis all go we can get Fox, Monk and Fultz. Then if you add Bridges, SKJ, and Ayton...Wow!

give me Fox Monk and Alkins and let's call it a day..Add a couple of front line guys and we are good to go.

Fox, Monk, Bridges, and Ayton would be great with what we have coming back:

Starters
G Fox
G Monk
F Bridges
F Ayton
C Humphries

Key Reserves
G Mulder
G Matthews
F Wynyard

As a friend of site and non UK guy, I come here/came here and mentioned how I've got a friend who coaches and one of his old players who moved to Houston and played with Fox last year and said he was waiting on UK and leaders were "Louisville/Kansas" prior to that (Duke was also mentioned as one he was waiting on) just gave me an update.

Said that Fox was really happy to have landed the offer and the feeling hasn't changed. He's a heavy UK lean right now and this is info that has been coming from a source that has had this info prior to the offer, any crystal ball mentions, etc...so that is exciting news for UK fans--because this kid is something else. Fox wants to announce around B-Day (Dec 20) but depending on things unfold--could be sooner. Talking with family about that and doesn't want to miss out now that he received the offer.

Reactions: Stonewall12
I highly doubt Ulis goes to the NBA after this season.
Why?

Ulis is going to leave the first moment he thinks he'll be drafted. He's unlikely to ever be a 1st round pick, and he knows it. Which actually makes him more likely to leave early than some other guys who could potentially see huge changes in their draft position. All he'll want is a certain level of comfort that someone will draft him, and he will have little motivation to stay in school if he gets that.

Reactions: Fadhi and Jazzycat
I have to be honest. Even thought it involves UK in a favor, I still can't take Crystal ball picks serious.

Especially from Meyer. Dude is about as uncreditable as they come.

Take them for what they're supposed to be, just an indicator of what the so-called "experts" are hearing/feeling at the moment. Its not supposed to be the "final" prediction of where a recruit will go to school and that's why they change so frequently. Its meant to be forever changing and just lets us know what is going on during the process and who is the flavor of the week in a players recruitment. None of these guys know where a recruit will commit when its still months and months away, and sometimes years away, from the end of the process. Its simply an indicator of the way the recruitment is going, or at least what that "expert" is hearing, at that point in time. Everyone gets all torn up over these crystal ball predictions but most of them are just guessing and have no inside info.

As a friend of site and non UK guy, I come here/came here and mentioned how I've got a friend who coaches and one of his old players who moved to Houston and played with Fox last year and said he was waiting on UK and leaders were "Louisville/Kansas" prior to that (Duke was also mentioned as one he was waiting on) just gave me an update.

Said that Fox was really happy to have landed the offer and the feeling hasn't changed. He's a heavy UK lean right now and this is info that has been coming from a source that has had this info prior to the offer, any crystal ball mentions, etc...so that is exciting news for UK fans--because this kid is something else. Fox wants to announce around B-Day (Dec 20) but depending on things unfold--could be sooner. Talking with family about that and doesn't want to miss out now that he received the offer.

I remember you mentioning that connection previously. Keep us posted, and thanks for the information.

Reactions: bigc45157
Really hope we get this kid he's going to be a monster. I know some people prefer Smith but me on the other hand im Fox all the way. Left handed smooth , long athletic, great size and vision.

As the title states, Meyer just flipped his pick for Fox for UK. Take it with a grain of salt however because as of now at least we still trail Texas by a fairly wide margin, and before he changed to UK, he had Louisville of all people landing Fox.

What makes you say that we trail Texas by a fairly wide margin?

on the UL board someone posted he was UL bound. Oh man, the praise. Great kid. UL type. etc...
then someone posted a quote of (paraphrase) I don't want to be the first one and done at a school. How would that coach handle me?
hahahahahah...then how the praised turned...
but, but RP never recruits those types...naw, he just cant land theme

Jaylen Brown crystal ball had him going to Cal @ 3%....

Few other players this year was same.

I think a lot of the younger players know how to fake it to these reporters and it's easier to trick them. Unless they are obvious visible favorite. In that case, everyone already knows anyway.

on the UL board someone posted he was UL bound. Oh man, the praise. Great kid. UL type. etc...
then someone posted a quote of (paraphrase) I don't want to be the first one and done at a school. How would that coach handle me?
hahahahahah...then how the praised turned...
but, but RP never recruits those types...naw, he just cant land theme

so he was a lousiville man but then he wasnt a lousiville man. he has to be all L1C4.

Believe he just meant that we still trail Texas by a fairly wide margin in the Crystal Ball picks.

Yeah, just in the Crystal Ball, as of the time of posting this thread. Texas has 66 percent of the current picks, but many of those were made last year.

Reactions: Aike
I said long ago this was my guy!!! Come on down Mr. Fox.
Yes you did. After I saw you talk about him I went to YouTube to watch his highlights and holy $hit were you right. Kid is a beast. Folks, our class for 2016 is going to be insane.

Reactions: brianpoe
I'm skeptical Ulis will make the jump after this year, but if there ever was a year, this would be the one to do it.

1) Ulis will be the man at PG. Running the show for the majority of the game. If he plays as well as we all know is capable of, his stock probably won't get any higher.

2) The draft class for this year compared to the next is SIGNIFICANTLY weaker. Other than Murray, Briscoe, Dunn, and other combo guards (Newman, Trimble, etc), the class as a whole is weak on transcendent point guards. Look at the next class: Monk, Smith Jr, Fox, Simmons and LOADS of other guards.

This might be the year that Ulis needs to make the jump for his future. I'd hate to see him go (love the kid), but looking at it objectively, it would make sense if he knew he would be drafted.

I'd hate to see him go (love the kid), but looking at it objectively, it would make sense if he knew he would be drafted.
Agree.

pretty hilarious seeing the ul reaction to fox's interview about being a one and done. they really thought they were in the top 2 for this kid until they read that. now....they are crushing the kid

May not be far off. Depends on if Ayton does what everyone seems to think he will. Sacha Killeya Jones may sneak his way in there too. I still can't decide if I want Alkins or Fultz.
Alkins and Fultz will be playing against each other tonight on ESPNU at 9 PM. Team Rose vs. Team Wall. Also playing will be Kobi Simmons, Dennis Smith Jr., Bam Adebayo, Udoka Azubuike, Frank Jackson among others. You will have 3 of the top 4 point guards in one game.

Based on his inconsistent track record, we should take anything Jerry Meyer says with a grain of salt. But in this case, there are other reasons to suspect De'Aaron Fox may be headed to Lexington. For 1 thing, Fox has not made a secret of his interest in playing for Calipari, and has also sounded lukewarm on his other options. For another thing, there must be a reason why Kobi Simmons, once considered a lock for Kentucky, has recently been backing away. This evidence suggests Calipari has targeted Fox. The question is whether Fox is willing to share time at the point with Ulis, who probably isn't going anywhere no matter what anyone says now. But Fox's scoring skills are good enough to be a combo guard. If Fox is willing to split time at 1 and 2, he will be a Wildcat. Recent events are also pointing strongly to Malik Monk joining our class. Kentucky's class is beginning to shape up. There will be at least 6. But 7 not out of the question, especially if Wynyard waits which is likely as not because of Humphries. Fox, Monk, Bridges, Killeya-Jones now look to be likely Wildcats. The other additions to our class will probably come from Maker, Azubuike, Cage, Alkins, Fultz. Just wonder if Monk will scare off Alkins and Fultz. Although Giles is not out of the question, I still think he ends up at Duke.

ADVERTISEMENT