ADVERTISEMENT

Florida's next coach has been to the S16 3 times in 6 years.

I wonder if Mack would leave? Now that Xavier is in the Big East and he went to St X High School and graduated from XU. Wouldn't surprise me if he stayed.

Both Mack and Miller are high up on our list. That said, that list is what the fans want. Majority want Miller but everyone would be very happy with Mack as well. Most of us think there's no way Mack is leaving, as he has spent his entire life at Xavier basically. Miller has a big buyout, but whatever, we will pay it.

Foley has a history of hiring coaches on the rise. Miller, Mack, Drew, and even little Richard, who I wish would get that job so we could lay it on him every year

Both Mack and Miller are high up on our list. That said, that list is what the fans want. Majority want Miller but everyone would be very happy with Mack as well. Most of us think there's no way Mack is leaving, as he has spent his entire life at Xavier basically. Miller has a big buyout, but whatever, we will pay it.
Well if buyout costs are no problem then your search should start and end in Bloomington!;)

Reactions: 3bombino96
Foley has a history of hiring coaches on the rise. Miller, Mack, Drew, and even little Richard, who I wish would get that job so we could lay it on him every year
No way will Pitino get a look. He was lazy in his time at UF. Didn't make a lot of friends down here.

I'd rather them not get Ed Cooley. I don't want to see his head up to 3 times a year.

It looks like someone played a pitching wedge off of it and it disturbs me.

I don't understand why Little Richard's name keeps coming up every time there's a coaching vacancy. He hasn't done anything to prove he can be successful at a major program.

That is exactly why UK fans keep bringing up his name. As well as Crean.

I'm thinking Archie is holding out for a bigger fish than Florida. If he has a couple more years like he has had he will be in play for the UK, Duke, UNC, even UofL type job.

How in the hell could you possibly mention UofSmell in the same breath as UK, UNC, or Duke? Honestly?

Truth be told, I look at UL and Florida as a lateral move at best. Yes, UL has more tradition and has won 3 titles to Floridas 2 and has been to 5 more Final Fours (10 to 5), but Florida has had more success since Billy Donovan was named coach than UL has and Billy D has shown that you can recruit big and win big at that program.

How in the hell could you possibly mention UofSmell in the same breath as UK, UNC, or Duke? Honestly?

Truth be told, I look at UL and Florida as a lateral move at best. Yes, UL has more tradition and has won 3 titles to Floridas 2 and has been to 5 more Final Fours (10 to 5), but Florida has had more success since Billy Donovan was named coach than UL has and Billy D has shown that you can recruit big and win big at that program.
Thanks. Most Florida fans perceive our program to be among the top level of the second tier of college jobs. Certainly not up there with UK, KU, UNC, etc., but we've been a great program for as long as any recruit has been alive and have a little hardware to show for it as well.

Because as much as I hate UofL I can see through my blue tinted sunglasses.

And Pitino isn't going to coach much longer so that is a top job especially now that they are in the ACC. If you want to let your hatred blind you to that then I have no problem with that.

And Florida can be a great job but I need to see continued high level success with multiple coaches before I elevate them to a higher status. i hope the Gators make a great hire and continue to be a great rival and represent the SEC well.

Because as much as I hate UofL I can see through my blue tinted sunglasses.

And Pitino isn't going to coach much longer so that is a top job especially now that they are in the ACC. If you want to let your hatred blind you to that then I have no problem with that.

And Florida can be a great job but I need to see continued high level success with multiple coaches before I elevate them to a higher status. i hope the Gators make a great hire and continue to be a great rival and represent the SEC well.

Not looking through blue-tinted glasses on this. UL is NOT a blue-blood program and should NEVER be mentioned in the same breath as UK, UNC, or Duke when you're talking about premiere coaching jobs.

Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Boston College, Clemson, Miami (Fl), and Florida State are all in the ACC too, doesn't make them better jobs because of it. I acknowledge that UL is a top program historically, they just shouldn't be mentioned alongside programs like UK, UNC, and Duke as if they are equals - they are not! Thats my point.

***Louisville ranks 11th on the all-time wins list with 1,755 wins (only slightly ahead of BYU and Utah). They still need to have more than 8 consecutive 30 win seasons to even reach the 2K mark that UK reached nearly 6 years ago and KU, UNC, and Duke have all already reached as well. Also, Temple, Syracuse, UCLA, St. Johns, Notre Dame, and Indiana all sit AHEAD of UL on the all-time wins list. No one considers those jobs (with the exception of maybe UCLA) to be premiere coaching jobs, at least not anymore. Just saying***

Thanks for the info.

I know Pel is one of our own, but I agree, I don't think Florida would hire either, both of whom have already been fired from another SEC school.

Just MHO of course, but if John wants to give head coaching a try again I suspect it will have to be at another mid-major. Will be interesting to see if whoever gets the job retains him, or he ends up unemployed.

Edit: Oops, seems I quoted the wrong post. I'm sure you guys will figure it out.

Well we can just agree to disagree. I don't think UofL is on par with UK, Duke, UNC or Kansas. But they are definitely in the small group of schools just below those 4.

You don't agree, fine.

The only thing hurting Florida is both Xavier and Dayton have very good returning teams that peaked a year early. After this year would be the time to get them as both probably explore offers as they lose a lot of talent. Both Dayton and Xavier will be preseason top 25.

Wow! Can a post get much more insensitive?

18iy2b6m2i0gjjpg.jpg

People they are not going to f'in hire pel or grant. My lord. Where in the world is this coming from? FLORIDA is a damn good job. Why would anyone think they ever would have even sniffed those two? I mean, grant was just canned at alabama and the program was as mediocre garbage as it gets. Just stop. No more questions about those two. It's getting comical.

Speculation is that Grant is going with him, so Billy is just trying to throw Pelphrey in the ring. Being a good friend is how I see it. That said, if it was going to happen it would have already happened.

It certainly appears that Mack is Foley's #1 target at this point.

The timing of that makes sense; there would be no search if it Pel was the best choice without question. But how do you know unless he gets that opportunity? His whole way of doing things is the Donovan way. Unless Foley is interested in a change of direction, then you go 'outside the family'. Pelphrey has earned his way to this job, and as much as Shyatt if he were being considered.

Not looking through blue-tinted glasses on this. UL is NOT a blue-blood program and should NEVER be mentioned in the same breath as UK, UNC, or Duke when you're talking about premiere coaching jobs.

Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Boston College, Clemson, Miami (Fl), and Florida State are all in the ACC too, doesn't make them better jobs because of it. I acknowledge that UL is a top program historically, they just shouldn't be mentioned alongside programs like UK, UNC, and Duke as if they are equals - they are not! Thats my point.

***Louisville ranks 11th on the all-time wins list with 1,755 wins (only slightly ahead of BYU and Utah). They still need to have more than 8 consecutive 30 win seasons to even reach the 2K mark that UK reached nearly 6 years ago and KU, UNC, and Duke have all already reached as well. Also, Temple, Syracuse, UCLA, St. Johns, Notre Dame, and Indiana all sit AHEAD of UL on the all-time wins list. No one considers those jobs (with the exception of maybe UCLA) to be premiere coaching jobs, at least not anymore. Just saying***
Their last two coaches are in the Hall of Fame.

The timing of that makes sense; there would be no search if it Pel was the best choice without question. But how do you know unless he gets that opportunity? His whole way of doing things is the Donovan way. Unless Foley is interested in a change of direction, then you go 'outside the family'. Pelphrey has earned his way to this job, and as much as Shyatt if he were being considered.
I disagree with that. Both of them are quality coaches, and both of them earned their way to a head coaching position. Shyatt has been moderately successful, given the circumstances he signed on for. Pelphrey was a disaster, at a (arguably) basketball school with some pedigree and serious fan base/support. He failed.

A better argument could be made for Grant, because no one has been successful at Alabama, and he was successful at VCU prior to Alabama. But Grant gets a ton of credit for really just one NCAAT win over Duke, with a team that had TWO first round NBA draft picks, (which he inherited, I might add).

Bottom line is that the Donovan coaching tree leaves something to be desired. We aren't going in that direction. Maybe if Donovan was retiring and had groomed a successor it would be a different story, but that is not the case.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT