ADVERTISEMENT

First piece of turf has been rolled onto CWS!

PLEASE...PLEASE somebody PLEASE tell men that CM Newton's name is not going to be put on that field!!!!!:scream::scream::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::angry::sunglasses::joy::joy::joy::joy:

I hope they don't. Putting that name on the stadium is one of the dumbest things the university has done for the football program. Ranks with letting the Bear leave. Newtons name should be taken off the stadium ASAP.

This is UK blue.
Seletti-Pantone%2525C2%2525AE-286-Wallstore-with-6-Mini-Magnets-14897.jpg

Our blue color used to be Pantone 540, I believe. That endzone looks very close to that color. That is a good thing IMO.

mchujsPZxLB-Y5ak0BUR00w.jpg
>>>>>>>>
54023911b4d47.image.jpg
color wise

I think that whole section will be the blue bench backs when finished.
i don't sit there but believe those seats have always been backed seats... might be wrong... but you might check the seating charts... they sit under the overhang of the trailer park boy suites, above them... guy i know sits there on occasion and says he like them... protected from rain and shade during September games...

Are the rubber pellets used on the new field also referred to as (the controversial) "crumb rubber"?
Crumb Rubber Health Concern Link
the health aspects concerning turf??? interesting question... know noting about it... all that spit and blood sitting atop plastic... maybe we can get a volunteer to swab and test down the road and see what good stuff grows in the petri dish... i'd like to think that the field is sanitized every so often but i got no clue... maybe air filtering works?..good question Saga.

Reactions: RedRiverSaga
Been camping all weekend, good to see that blue endzone taking shape!!! WOO gonna look really sharp on gameday!

The video below shows how they put the logos in on the new field turf at the University of Houston. It looks like it takes quite some time since they have the same process for the numbers, logos, letters, and hash marks.

No wonder it takes 4 weeks to do. Just adding the numbers and graphics (per that video) is a ton of work.

the health aspects concerning turf??? interesting question... know noting about it... all that spit and blood sitting atop plastic... maybe we can get a volunteer to swab and test down the road and see what good stuff grows in the petri dish... i'd like to think that the field is sanitized every so often but i got no clue... maybe air filtering works?..good question Saga.

He was referring to the reports that have come out over the past year concerning a possible link between cancer and the crushed rubber that is in the field.

No wonder it takes 4 weeks to do. Just adding the numbers and graphics (per that video) is a ton of work.

Exactly. Looks like the field could be done in the next couple of days weather permitting. Then a few days for the sidelines and a couple of weeks for the details on the field. I think it will be totally worth it in the long run.

Our blue color used to be Pantone 540, I believe. That endzone looks very close to that color. That is a good thing IMO.

mchujsPZxLB-Y5ak0BUR00w.jpg
>>>>>>>>
54023911b4d47.image.jpg
color wise
Per the UK website...
Blue and White
The University of Kentucky adopted blue and white as its official colors in 1892. Originally, however, UK students had decided on blue and light yellow prior to the Kentucky-Centre College football game on December 19, 1891. The shade of blue, which is close to a royal blue, was chosen when a student asked the question, "What color blue?" At the time, Richard C. Stoll (who lettered in football at UK in 1889-94) pulled off his necktie and held it up. The students then adopted that particular shade of blue. A year later, UK students officially dropped the light yellow color for white.

So I guess we need to go find Richard Stoll's necktie to know the real color blue.

Per the UK website...
Blue and White
The University of Kentucky adopted blue and white as its official colors in 1892. Originally, however, UK students had decided on blue and light yellow prior to the Kentucky-Centre College football game on December 19, 1891. The shade of blue, which is close to a royal blue, was chosen when a student asked the question, "What color blue?" At the time, Richard C. Stoll (who lettered in football at UK in 1889-94) pulled off his necktie and held it up. The students then adopted that particular shade of blue. A year later, UK students officially dropped the light yellow color for white.

So I guess we need to go find Richard Stoll's necktie to know the real color blue.

Or we could go on a quest for the holy grail. Also fun.

Looks like they are cutting the turf and putting the letters in in the end zone and are passed mid field now with the turf. Moving right along.

Per the UK website...
Blue and White

Did I say "original" blue? I said Pantone 540 "used to be" the official shade of blue for uniforms. Then I said I prefer it to the current shade; not that the old shade is somehow more authentic or accurate, just that I liked it better.

While you brush up on your basic math skills, it probably wouldn't hurt to get a few lessons on reading comprehension

Did I say "original" blue? I said Pantone 540 "used to be" the official shade of blue for uniforms. Then I said I prefer it to the current shade; not that the old shade is somehow more authentic or accurate, just that I liked it better.

While you brush up on your basic math skills, it probably wouldn't hurt to get a few lessons on reading comprehension

Seriously guys. Not needed to start an argument over this.

The midfield logo is in place. Looks like they could be done before the 4 week time people were saying.
My guess is Stoops asked for them to speed up since they are having a lot of campers and recruits on campus the next few weeks. Having the field down is something they can show off to these kids along with the other stadium renovations.

Funny if you go back 95 days and compare to now. Was concerned about them getting done, but when you see the amount of progress that has been made since and now with the good weather they look to be in pretty good shape.

They still have to add numbers, sec logos and all the rubber and materials on top. I'm sure the #s will take some days

Looks great so far.

They still have to add numbers, sec logos and all the rubber and materials on top. I'm sure the #s will take some days

Looks great so far.

It looks like they only have one endzone, one SEC loo, and one sideline of yard markers to go and they are done with the field of play. The sidelines should be done in a day. Don't think it will take too long for the rubber pellets. Hard to tell for sure. But, it looks like the numbers are already in place.

Your estimate appears to be a bit off.

Maybe...maybe there is more work to do with all of the logos/numbers/EZs that have been dropped...this process takes 4 weeks for a reason, I highly doubt they are going to finish 2.5/3 weeks early.

Maybe...maybe there is more work to do with all of the logos/numbers/EZs that have been dropped...this process takes 4 weeks for a reason, I highly doubt they are going to finish 2.5/3 weeks early.

You're right. They just want to have it all down and sewn into the turf to see what it looks like before they peel it off and put it all back down again. [laughing]

Reactions: WILDCAT_NATION#8
You're right. They just want to have it all down and sewn into the turf to see what it looks like before they peel it off and put it all back down again. [laughing]
You saw them sew it down? If so, then I guess the sand and rubber is the time consuming part.

In the Houston video, It almost looks like they apply a sticky sheet (where they can sew into) on the edges and then drop the letters...then sewing comes after...but by all means if you saw them sew it down then that is great news.

UK logo going down at mid field. See it all right here!
You saw them sew it down? If so, then I guess the sand and rubber is the time consuming part.

In the Houston video, It almost looks like they apply a sticky sheet (where they can sew into) on the edges and then drop the letters...then sewing comes after...but by all means if you saw them sew it down then that is great news.
I'm not so sure that the numbers and hash marks are done. If you watched what they did in the end zone they placed the lettering where it looked like from the pictures it was done...they later came back and cut out the green (or blue) turf and inserted the letter. Glue or sew...no idea. But the numbers and hash marks all appeared over a very short time frame making me believe they were simply placed and that still have to be inserted into the turf. In fact if you look at the website right now (5:20 EDT) at the interior view they look to be doing just that as there are 5 men together and the hash marks between them and the end zone are cockeyed...meaning they have been moved from where they were earlier today. There's 180 or so of those puppies to put down plus all the numbers, etc.

Also, those who seem to be measuring the time of the project to do the field...when did you start your clock? They started ripping the field up on April 20...putting in drainage on May 12, laying the base on the 15th and laying turf on the 28th.

UK logo going down at mid field. See it all right here!

I'm not so sure that the numbers and hash marks are done. If you watched what they did in the end zone they placed the lettering where it looked like from the pictures it was done...they later came back and cut out the green (or blue) turf and inserted the letter. Glue or sew...no idea. But the numbers and hash marks all appeared over a very short time frame making me believe they were simply placed and that still have to be inserted into the turf. In fact if you look at the website right now (5:20 EDT) at the interior view they look to be doing just that as there are 5 men together and the hash marks between them and the end zone are cockeyed...meaning they have been moved from where they were earlier today. There's 180 or so of those puppies to put down plus all the numbers, etc.

Also, those who seem to be measuring the time of the project to do the field...when did you start your clock? They started ripping the field up on April 20...putting in drainage on May 12, laying the base on the 15th and laying turf on the 28th.
Agree with u. Hard to tell what is staged, cut, sewn, finished etc.

The 4 week clock started within this last week I believe. I think Barnhart made a statement or was asked about the progress etc

Here ya go big man. Bet ya feel really smart now...numbering was finished today and end zones are up next...so yeah, they weren't done. Guess your estimate appears off.

ADVERTISEMENT