ADVERTISEMENT

First piece of turf has been rolled onto CWS!

I can't wait to see those blue endzones! Really gonna be nice walking into our 'new' stadium in September. Looking at the before and after, it's just amazing how much of a difference it is. The old stadium looked pretty unsightly compared to what we're gonna see in a couple months.

I can't wait to see those blue endzones! Really gonna be nice walking into our 'new' stadium in September. Looking at the before and after, it's just amazing how much of a difference it is. The old stadium looked pretty unsightly compared to what we're gonna see in a couple months.

Reactions: Park75
Looks like the endzone on the Nicholasville Rd. side is about half way laid out. Hopefully when they get the white lettering down it will make the blue pop more.

Go onto thenewcws.com and you can see it now. They have one end zone and about 17 yds of the field laid out.

There are multiple pics in the thread with the blue EZ...guess ol Fuzz has me on ignore [banana]

That sand/dirt base looks a whole lot softer than the old black top base they used under the original artificial turf fields. Can see why it's way better for players.

I am surprised that with all the seams that appear necessary that catching cleats & thus twisting knees & causing injuries isn't a big deal with these surfaces.

That sand/dirt base looks a whole lot softer than the old black top base they used under the original artificial turf fields. Can see why it's way better for players.

I am surprised that with all the seams that appear necessary that catching cleats & thus twisting knees & causing injuries isn't a big deal with these surfaces.

Some fields still use blacktop underneath. That is a crushed rock base and feels just like falling on blacktop. But, when you put almost 2 inches of crushed rubber and sand on top of that, it's very soft and also the reason that you never trip over seems and such as they are buried under a couple inches of rubber and sand.

My OCD side wants to go and line all of the seat numbers up straight.

Lol glad I'm not the only one. The place is gonna look great though. Loving the blue EZ.

I do have two cosmetic changes I would like to see that we aren't addressing with the updates. I would like to see some kind of limestone wall from ground to the top of the existing blue wall on the interior all the way around the field. (I know, it's not gonna happen.) However, a more realistic change. Do something to the bland Kentucky Wildcats lettering above each scoreboard. Please.

I'm happy as can be regardless, but those are my only two things.

Last edited:
30vcifo.png

Why is one random section of seats blue over close to the corner? Is that area designated for specific people? I saw the blue on the other side of the stadium but don't know what that other small section is for.

Why is one random section of seats blue over close to the corner? Is that area designated for specific people? I saw the blue on the other side of the stadium but don't know what that other small section is for.

I think that whole section will be the blue bench backs when finished.

Brett has said that the plans are in place to add the blue bench backs all around the lower bowl it just won't be done this year. There's still so much to be done I doubt there would be enough time even if they wanted to.

The alternating greens every 5 yards looks really awesome and will give fans a better perspective of ball placement and to go yardage at the conclusion of each play. The endzone is looking sharp too. It's hard to believe it'll take 4 weeks to finish when they've knocked out so much so fast

They have knocked out a lot. But you figure after they get the field out, they have to put in all the numbers, hashmarks, and logos. Then go through and put in the sand and rubber pellets. Still have the sidelines too.

Still trying to figure out how they put the letters, yard numbers, and other graphics on top of the existing turf that is already on the ground. Seems if they place on top of it, it would be an uneven surface. Do they cut them into the existing turf and then sew it all together?

Still trying to figure out how they put the letters, yard numbers, and other graphics on top of the existing turf that is already on the ground. Seems if they place on top of it, it would be an uneven surface. Do they cut them into the existing turf and then sew it all together?

I imagine it depends on how thick they are. I wouldn't know that though.

Still trying to figure out how they put the letters, yard numbers, and other graphics on top of the existing turf that is already on the ground. Seems if they place on top of it, it would be an uneven surface. Do they cut them into the existing turf and then sew it all together?[/QUOTE]

Yes they do. Simply line it up, cut out the logo/emblem/lettering and drop in the new colored piece.

The video below shows how they put the logos in on the new field turf at the University of Houston. It looks like it takes quite some time since they have the same process for the numbers, logos, letters, and hash marks.

I would have liked it to be a little more like our actual blue color like this:

o071vr.png

I understand why they went with the checkerboard design. It goes with the marketing of the UK brand right now with the Secretariat checkerboard design. I think in a few years, you will see the end zones and sidelines redone into a solid look like what you have. For right now, I with they would have gone with more of a difference between the 2 shades of blue. The dark real dark, and the light more like our natural shade of blue.

I would have liked it to be a little more like our actual blue color like this:

o071vr.png

Which would mean no checkerboard. It has UK blue, as well as dark blue in the checkerboard, just like the uniforms do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT