ADVERTISEMENT

FIFA executives all got arrested last night, seemingly

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Not a soccer fan at all but my son is a huge fan. He, along with just about everyone who follows soccer, said today's wholesale arrest for racketeering, corruption, money laundering, etc. is not surprising at all. Think awarding the World Cup to Russia and Qatar was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Think there are any similar backroom deals re: Super Bowl, NCAA FF, BCS Championship? With the billions at stake, wouldn't surprise me.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. The DOJ/USAO/FBI have much more information than what's stated in the indictment. Having skimmed the indictment, the alleged schemes are probably as close to a slam-dunk as you can get.

Just wait until the DOJ/USAO offers some of these defendants immunity proffer session, or reduced charges for testimony on other wrong-doers. That's when the fireworks start to happen.
[cheers]

Why on earth is the US government going after soccer officials? Because they didn't get a taste of the bribes?

I guess popular outrage over steroids has died down enough that they need to find some other bullshit cause to get the people to rally behind.

Reactions: Mashburned
Why on earth is the US government going after soccer officials? Because they didn't get a taste of the bribes?

I guess popular outrage over steroids has died down enough that they need to find some other bullshit cause to get the people to rally behind.
My guess is because they solicited bribes from our officials and money laundering is illegal, and we are butthurt we didn't get the bids for the tourney, since its one of the few international showcase events you don't need to build a shitton of new stadiums for. Also wouldn't surprise me if there is an organized crime element involved - Italy, Eastern Europe and South America are pretty notorious for throwing games.

US banks were used to do the majority of the money laundering that went on with these back door deals. Oh and Russia is involved. HA!

I'm wondering if EA will incorporate the international corruption and slave labor into to FIFA 16.

If its in the game....its in the game.

Told my brother we should buy up all the extra Fifa 15 copies and sell them after the organization is disbanded.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. The DOJ/USAO/FBI have much more information than what's stated in the indictment. Having skimmed the indictment, the alleged schemes are probably as close to a slam-dunk as you can get.

Just wait until the DOJ/USAO offers some of these defendants immunity proffer session, or reduced charges for testimony on other wrong-doers. That's when the fireworks start to happen.
[cheers]
Saw that one official plead guilty at arraignment. Very unusual, and almost a guarantee to be cooperating due to the quick plea.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT