ADVERTISEMENT

Field Install

It generally doesn't take too long to install field turf so I wouldn't think we have much to worry about in that regard. I'm excited to see the finished product though.

It generally doesn't take too long to install field turf so I wouldn't think we have much to worry about in that regard. I'm excited to see the finished product though.

It will be about a 8 - 10 week process in getting the sub base and field done.

I remember the Patriots replacing their grass turf with Field Turf during the middle of the season (maybe 2-3 weeks).

I remember the Patriots replacing their grass turf with Field Turf during the middle of the season (maybe 2-3 weeks).

Replacing an existing turf, where the base work is already complete and putting in all new base work and installing a new field are 2 different things. You can pull up old turf, do some minor repairs to the sub base and put new turf down in a few weeks if you have the crew to do so. At Commonwealth, they will be installing the drainage, base rock (or blacktop) and the turf. It will take awhile.

Reactions: mwatson61
The last picture I saw they had a bunch of trucks and a crane or something on the field. There's no sense in rushing into the field installation if there is still work to be done on the sections inside the stadium. It'd make that work a lot trickier if they couldn't drive onto the field. It'll probably be one of the last things to be completed along with the concessions and restrooms in the concourse

As others have said, it should be done by mid summer. A couple of weeks ago they were preparing the field for the installation.

Speaking of field install....the first game in The New CWS is now only 4 months from today. I am ready.....going to be a long summer!! LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Reactions: BigBoyBlueMMA
Just looking at the camera shots today, they have a long ways to go on the renovation. 4 months for a construction project and timeline such as this must feel like a week to those involved in the process.

I say paint some lines on that sand and sprinkle it down a little before game time,and play in the mud!

Anyone know why they left one square area of the old grass on the visitor side? Is it for sentimental reasons lol or maybe to show the height of the original playing surface?

They had a feature on WKYT yesterday. The guy said the field is still being designed and it should be installed by July. So from now through June looks like when it will all take place.

It will be about a 8 - 10 week process in getting the sub base and field done.

Installing the synthetic field does not take 8-10 weeks. When UL replaced the grass with field turf the first time it took like 4-5 weeks from start to finish. When they replaced the field turf last year it took about 2 weeks. 1 week to remove the old field and another week to install the new field.

Really not that that complex. They will tear out the old field and replace it with layers on compacted crushed stone. Once it is level and set they roll out the plastic grass in 10 yard wide rolls and sew each rolls to each other with a machine. The stripes are on the grass already. Any logs like a big UK will come in like a big rug of the colored grass and will be sewn in place.

At this point the plastic grass blades about 3-3 1/2" long. Once the field is down they brush in white clean sand and the bottom/ Next they add the tiny rubber pellets.

Do turf fields have the same crowning as a natural grass field for drainage? I was surprised by how much crown grass fields have and have thought for years that it would screw up a QB if going from flat to throwing off a crown.... I never played on fields like that.

Do turf fields have the same crowning as a natural grass field for drainage? I was surprised by how much crown grass fields have and have thought for years that it would screw up a QB if going from flat to throwing off a crown.... I never played on fields like that.
College fields do not have a crown at all. They have built in drainage and don't rely on gravity. Turf fields are the same way, they have built in drainage. Hell lots of HS fields are going to turf. Dunbar has had it for a few years now and its a blast to kick around on. Wish we had it when I played!

Installing the synthetic field does not take 8-10 weeks. When UL replaced the grass with field turf the first time it took like 4-5 weeks from start to finish. When they replaced the field turf last year it took about 2 weeks. 1 week to remove the old field and another week to install the new field.

Really not that that complex. They will tear out the old field and replace it with layers on compacted crushed stone. Once it is level and set they roll out the plastic grass in 10 yard wide rolls and sew each rolls to each other with a machine. The stripes are on the grass already. Any logs like a big UK will come in like a big rug of the colored grass and will be sewn in place.

At this point the plastic grass blades about 3-3 1/2" long. Once the field is down they brush in white clean sand and the bottom/ Next they add the tiny rubber pellets.

I've been the project manager here at the University of Oregon for 5 turf field installs. Trust me when I say that when you're starting from scratch (unless you're under time constraints and want to pay overtime), it will take a couple months for the field to be installed. Making changes to drainage for artificial turf, installing and leveling rock, installing turf (whether it is stitched or glued) and installing logos and hash marks (hash marks are not already in the turf when delivered), then putting almost 2 inches of rubber/sand on about 70,000sf takes awhile. It will take a couple months.

I've been the project manager here at the University of Oregon for 5 turf field installs. Trust me when I say that when you're starting from scratch (unless you're under time constraints and want to pay overtime), it will take a couple months for the field to be installed. Making changes to drainage for artificial turf, installing and leveling rock, installing turf (whether it is stitched or glued) and installing logos and hash marks (hash marks are not already in the turf when delivered), then putting almost 2 inches of rubber/sand on about 70,000sf takes awhile. It will take a couple months.
this seems to end this debate...another Tard shown the door!! well done!!

this seems to end this debate...another Tard shown the door!! well done!!

I don't know where he is getting 4-5 weeks. In that grand scheme of things, we're already in week 2 of the process. They started removing the old grass last week and appear to be starting on the drainage this week. No way we're only 2.5 - 3 weeks from completion of the field.

College fields do not have a crown at all. They have built in drainage and don't rely on gravity. Turf fields are the same way, they have built in drainage. Hell lots of HS fields are going to turf. Dunbar has had it for a few years now and its a blast to kick around on. Wish we had it when I played!

Every HS in Lexington has the field turf now. Tates Creek is on their 2nd one, as they had a new one installed last season. Cuts down on maintence, and the field doesn't get chewed up by football, soccer, and Lacrosse. I still like natural grass field though, but that's just me.

Every HS in Lexington has the field turf now. Tates Creek is on their 2nd one, as they had a new one installed last season. Cuts down on maintence, and the field doesn't get chewed up by football, soccer, and Lacrosse. I still like natural grass field though, but that's just me.

Cut me some slack lol....I am 21 years removed from playing on the Lex HS fields and I have only been back to Dunbar since that's where I graduated from!!

I'm like you I like Natural grass better and my College had a full 120 x 80 natural grass soccer field that was amazing to play on....but given the chance between the turf and natural (with football on it as well)...I would chose the turf every time because of its durability!

CWS has a pretty large crown. I've been curious if they will take any of it out for the turf.

CWS has a pretty large crown. I've been curious if they will take any of it out for the turf.
No it does not....during the summer my sons and I have gone down on the field. We even took a football and they ran some routes.

I think they did away with the crown several years ago when they redid the drainage. Looks like they are laying down some type of rock or gravel from the pics this morning.

ADVERTISEMENT