ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN writer: Stoops could be on hot seat next year

You can choose to ignore it. That's your right but Jack Coffee is one of the most respected guys in the rivals network. It most certainly does matter.

No, it really really doesn't matter what Jack Mochachino says. Let's suppose our recruits are completely inflated on some random ranking. So? They were the guys our staff wanted and could get. Period. Both the coaching staff and I can see that the talent level is light years from where it was, and projects to be light years ahead of that... Not by stars and services, but by my own eyeballs and offer sheets. Coaches know talent better than Jack Latte.

Moreover, the topic is about Stoops on the hot seat. We aren't Alabama brining in big talent and then thinking we're underachieving. We need someone who can do better than 99% of our previous coaches to change a culture. Inflated, deflated, conflated, whatever: stoops is the closest thing we can possibly get to what we need. Therefore, he is not on the hot seat.

The argument that Jack Espresso says our classes are inflated for the website is completely ancillary.

Reactions: Dallas-Wild
Kentucky and Vanderbilt are the two programs in the SEC where you can not make a bowl game and still keep your job for a while. I'm not sure that's a very good thing, but it's true.

Mark Richt's more on the hot seat that Mark Stoops. I also think it's way too early to write off Derek Mason at Vandy. Dude can coach defense, he had the youngest team in America last year, and they went and hired a top-tier OC in Andy Ludwig.

Vanderbilt and Tennessee were pretty much the same in terms of youth. I'm not buying Mason as head coach and I think it would be very difficult for an SEC head coach to also serve as a coordinator. I also don't think Ludwig can save a sinking ship. He's a decent OC but he isn't a miracle worker.

Some genius at ESPN named Greg Ostendorf apparently isn't too high on Stoops. He had an article on ESPN.com discussing which SEC coaches will be around in 2020, and ol' Greg lumped Stoops and Vanderbilt's Derek Mason into the same boat (with no real explanation why besides it being "tough" to win at both places) and doesn't think Stoops will win enough to be at Kentucky 6 years from now:

Ostendorf: "And speaking of coaches who could be on the hot seat after this season, look no further than Kentucky's Mark Stoops and Vanderbilt's Derek Mason. I know it's hard to win at both places, but a bowl game has almost become a necessity for an SEC coach to keep his job. I'm not saying they're gone after this year, but I also don't see them around in six years."

Of course he provides no real explanation or facts (like you would expect from an ESPN writer), he just simply thinks Stoops will be gone because it's "tough" to win at Kentucky and it's easier to lump Ky. and Vandy into the same boat because of their history than it is to actually do a little bit of research. Until we start winning I guess we can expect more of these half-cocked, uninformed articles (even from reputable places like ESPN) no matter how much the program appears to be on the up and up, or how good recruiting, etc. is going. I can't wait for the season to be here and we start winning some big games so we can make some of these clowns eat their words.

If you can stomach it here's a link to the article: Link
Here's Greg's Twitter if any of you feel like asking Greg to elaborate on why Stoops isn't going to succeed: Greg Ostendorf
I have already e-mailed the writer to let him know that Stoops job is way more secure than his because he does no research before writing this stupid article from Catlyn"s ESPN.

I get really annoyed by the "ESPN is garbage" everybody not on board with UK is garbage, etc. ESPN and the rest of the world owe UK nothing. We are entitled to nothing. When UK starts winning they will start seeing the program differently and until then they are doing their jobs by not just assuming the team will take the next step. Once Kentucky becomes bowl eligible then the hype will increase.

I get really annoyed by the "ESPN is garbage" everybody not on board with UK is garbage, etc. ESPN and the rest of the world owe UK nothing. We are entitled to nothing.

I disagree, we and all other readers of a major publication like this are entitled to some semblance of the truth. There is absolutely NOTHING from anyone inside the athletic department, UK media or other insiders that support one ounce of this rumor. This is nothing more than made up crap to stir the pot and get publicity.

You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I think the jury is out on Stoops. To this point he hasn't been good but he hasn't been bad enough to warrant being on the hot seat. I think this year tells you guys a lot. Obviously you improved from year 1 to year 2 so that's all you have to go on.

The recruiting argument is flawed. It's interesting that this came up because I was just reading on our board a post from Jack Coffee (who runs Louisville Sports Report and the Rival site) in which he let it be known that the recruiting services cater to programs with high subscription rates for their services. Obviously UK has a large following and a large subscription base meaning that most of there recruiting rankings get a bump to keep subscribers happy. I think what he was getting at is that many of the rankings are over inflated and that maybe the classes Stoops has brought in aren't as good as the rankings would suggest. THis would also explain why the results haven't shown up on the field. Like I said, that's not coming from me, that's Jack Coffee who heads up the UofL version of one of these services. He would obviously know.

Thanks for another illuminating insight. A U of L homer can explain away our asserted success on the recruiting trail? Shocker. You that naive, or just obtuse?

I disagree, we and all other readers of a major publication like this are entitled to some semblance of the truth. There is absolutely NOTHING from anyone inside the athletic department, UK media or other insiders that support one ounce of this rumor. This is nothing more than made up crap to stir the pot and get publicity.

You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

It isn't a rumor...the whole point of the article was opinion. Their opinion on which coaches will be around in a few years. So like the quote you so aptly pointed to says, "you are entitled to your own opinion," which is exactly what they were doing. I think their reasoning was logical, that doesn't mean that you have to agree with it.

how bout this pet... stoops has gotten about 32 guys with a ul offer since his arrival. ul has gotten about 14 with a UK offer... if your coaches are so superior at talent evaluation and stars dont matter then you should be very afraid cause we got a bunch of petrino and strongs first choice recruits and 4 or 5 of those guys you got with UK offers were passed on after we saw them in a camp setting. so keep telling yourself that everything is OK... and that some good players are going to be kicked off their team in the next couple of years to even things out.

I think the jury is out on Stoops. To this point he hasn't been good but he hasn't been bad enough to warrant being on the hot seat. I think this year tells you guys a lot. Obviously you improved from year 1 to year 2 so that's all you have to go on.

The recruiting argument is flawed. It's interesting that this came up because I was just reading on our board a post from Jack Coffee (who runs Louisville Sports Report and the Rival site) in which he let it be known that the recruiting services cater to programs with high subscription rates for their services. Obviously UK has a large following and a large subscription base meaning that most of there recruiting rankings get a bump to keep subscribers happy. I think what he was getting at is that many of the rankings are over inflated and that maybe the classes Stoops has brought in aren't as good as the rankings would suggest. THis would also explain why the results haven't shown up on the field. Like I said, that's not coming from me, that's Jack Coffee who heads up the UofL version of one of these services. He would obviously know.

I think your mama must to have dropped you on your head several times when you were a baby. You make some of the most idiotic post that I read on the internet.

There is no way Stoops is in any way on any type of hot seat.

I thought that Stoops had the UK team overachieve last year and expect him to do so again this year. He is way over achieving on the recruiting front compared to UK coaches of the past 20 or so years.

I actually think that Stoops will have UK contending for the SEC title in less than the 6 years the ESPN clown is predicting that he will be fired. The only way I see Stoops being gone from UK in 6 year is if he is offered a job that he wants and accepts it. I think if OSU offered that he likely would take the position.

I would hope he would stay at UK but I am realistic and believe there is some jobs he wouldn't refuse even if he succeeds at UK and lets face it if he succeeds at UK some of the big boys will come after him.

This response may be as dumb as the ESPN writer that put Stoops on the hot seat. If you believe Stoops hasn't been good or that UK is just doing well in recruiting because recruiting sites are catering to us then it's time for you to hand in your man card and go follow badminton or something.

You can choose to ignore it. That's your right but Jack Coffee is one of the most respected guys in the rivals network. It most certainly does matter.

It doesn't matter because he's nobody. I've never heard the name until reading this post. To say he's the most respected name is just simply false. He's just a name and appears to be one catering to the delusions of UL fans.

Reactions: Deeeefense
So you don't think folks on here will be ticked if we don't go to a bowl this year? How soon we forget people bashing stoops after a few loses last year.

He doesn't have any room to not go to a bowl this year. If we miss a bowl, he will have failed this year.

how bout this pet... stoops has gotten about 32 guys with a ul offer since his arrival. ul has gotten about 14 with a UK offer... if your coaches are so superior at talent evaluation and stars dont matter then you should be very afraid cause we got a bunch of petrino and strongs first choice recruits and 4 or 5 of those guys you got with UK offers were passed on after we saw them in a camp setting. so keep telling yourself that everything is OK... and that some good players are going to be kicked off their team in the next couple of years to even things out.
Just because they had offers doesn't mean they were our first choice.

Should I still be afraid?

ADVERTISEMENT