ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN writer: Stoops could be on hot seat next year

jnewc2

Senior
Nov 22, 2006
Some genius at ESPN named Greg Ostendorf apparently isn't too high on Stoops. He had an article on ESPN.com discussing which SEC coaches will be around in 2020, and ol' Greg lumped Stoops and Vanderbilt's Derek Mason into the same boat (with no real explanation why besides it being "tough" to win at both places) and doesn't think Stoops will win enough to be at Kentucky 6 years from now:

Ostendorf: "And speaking of coaches who could be on the hot seat after this season, look no further than Kentucky's Mark Stoops and Vanderbilt's Derek Mason. I know it's hard to win at both places, but a bowl game has almost become a necessity for an SEC coach to keep his job. I'm not saying they're gone after this year, but I also don't see them around in six years."

Of course he provides no real explanation or facts (like you would expect from an ESPN writer), he just simply thinks Stoops will be gone because it's "tough" to win at Kentucky and it's easier to lump Ky. and Vandy into the same boat because of their history than it is to actually do a little bit of research. Until we start winning I guess we can expect more of these half-cocked, uninformed articles (even from reputable places like ESPN) no matter how much the program appears to be on the up and up, or how good recruiting, etc. is going. I can't wait for the season to be here and we start winning some big games so we can make some of these clowns eat their words.

If you can stomach it here's a link to the article: Link
Here's Greg's Twitter if any of you feel like asking Greg to elaborate on why Stoops isn't going to succeed: Greg Ostendorf

Reactions: woodson991
Some genius at ESPN named Greg Ostendorf apparently isn't too high on Stoops. He had an article on ESPN.com discussing which SEC coaches will be around in 2020, and ol' Greg lumped Stoops and Vanderbilt's Derek Mason into the same boat (with no real explanation why besides it being "tough" to win at both places) and doesn't think Stoops will win enough to be at Kentucky 6 years from now:

Ostendorf: "And speaking of coaches who could be on the hot seat after this season, look no further than Kentucky's Mark Stoops and Vanderbilt's Derek Mason. I know it's hard to win at both places, but a bowl game has almost become a necessity for an SEC coach to keep his job. I'm not saying they're gone after this year, but I also don't see them around in six years."

Of course he provides no real explanation or facts (like you would expect from an ESPN writer), he just simply thinks Stoops will be gone because it's "tough" to win at Kentucky and it's easier to lump Ky. and Vandy into the same boat because of their history than it is to actually do a little bit of research. Until we start winning I guess we can expect more of these half-cocked, uninformed articles (even from reputable places like ESPN) no matter how much the program appears to be on the up and up, or how good recruiting, etc. is going. I can't wait for the season to be here and we start winning some big games so we can make some of these clowns eat their words.

Here's Greg's Twitter if any of you feel like asking Greg to elaborate on why Stoops isn't going to succeed: Greg Ostendorf

It's ESPN, what do you expect?

I expected more from a place like ESPN, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised

Jnewc2....I agree I'm so ready to shut the mouths of so many of these well I'll leave it there....and I think our staff and CMS have the same mind set.

The staff I believe has ingrained that into the mindset of the team as well.

Stoops can stay here as long as he wants. Nobody and I mean nobody will recruit the way he does here after he leaves. We have tried for 50 years after Bear left to get it right and only a couple of times (Claiborne and Brooks) have we tasted moderate success. I believe Stoops will change the culture here if he stays long enough.

Another media hack attempting to draw attention to his space in the vast wilderness of 500 channels. Do not give this individual any attention he so desperately wants in order to save his job.

Reactions: wildcatdonf
The College FB section of ESPN (including and especially the SEC blog section) used to be one of my favorite go-to places on the Net. I barely pay attention to it anymore.

Kentucky and Vanderbilt are the two programs in the SEC where you can not make a bowl game and still keep your job for a while. I'm not sure that's a very good thing, but it's true.

Mark Richt's more on the hot seat that Mark Stoops. I also think it's way too early to write off Derek Mason at Vandy. Dude can coach defense, he had the youngest team in America last year, and they went and hired a top-tier OC in Andy Ludwig.

I know UK fans hate Cowheard and crap, but let be real. ESPN keeps garabage like this for a reason...The truth is ESPN is junk and all of there shows are. They keep people like this and fire people who know the truth and speak it? I dont get it.

Simple, really. He is just some peon at ESPN. Meyer calls Herbstreit and discusses current developments in UK recruiting in Ohio. Herbstreit turns to his nearest sychophant during a morning round of golf and suggests he write this trash, so as to muddy the water on the recruiting trail. "Sure, coach. No harm in telling it like it is, right?" Check that. Don't you mean the way you see it, Kirk??? It really does chap me that certain schools have found themselves with well placed alums in the college football media. Do you really think something like this is beneath most of them? Come on, folks. It's a real world out there.

Reactions: ukalum1988

Here is what I think of Greg
Stoops can stay here as long as he wants. Nobody and I mean nobody will recruit the way he does here after he leaves. We have tried for 50 years after Bear left to get it right and only a couple of times (Claiborne and Brooks) have we tasted moderate success. I believe Stoops will change the culture here if he stays long enough.

I agree all the way.

Reactions: UKCatnNC
The College FB section of ESPN (including and especially the SEC blog section) used to be one of my favorite go-to places on the Net. I barely pay attention to it anymore.

Same here. I don't even have ESPN bookmarked on the computer anymore and I use theScore app for mobile scores and news, I like it's interface and customization much better than the ESPN app. Can't stand any of the ESPN shows either. Outside of UK games and big time games I avoid the entire network like the plague. That includes the SEC Network.

i really think we ought to be in a bowl this year but im not gonna put stoops on the hot seat until after the '16 season. basically starting from scratch and a 1st time head coach... i think he deserves a chance to grow into the job. he took lumps last year with a decent team and i think this year we see more growth but depending on how scar, uf, vandy, missouri, msst, and ut look this year we could be a much better team and still only win 5... i dont think that happens because i think at least a couple of those teams regress a little and some will stay the same and probably only uf. ut and vandy have a chance to be much improved from last year.

I think if Stoops isn't here in 6 years it's because he's probably had enough success to have a marquee school come calling for him, not that he has underperformed. I honestly think ESPN analysts/writers struggle with college athletics for whatever reason.

I seriously can't believe some of these guys are paid to write such lame press and obviously not putting any effort into it. Stoops is here for an extended stay, I see him seeing out his mission to build UK into a challenger in the SEC. This staff is bringing in way too much talent and depth not to succeed. Some very exciting times for the #BBN lets enjoy the ride boys

With all this talk about Stoops on the hot seat - well I just don't understand. I feel that anyone talking Stoops and hotseat, don't have a clue about what it takes to win in the SEC - not a clue. I have followed UK for about 40 years and no one has been close to Stoops, to this point in recruiting. To win, it takes depth and he is working on it better that any other. I think I saw today that this current recruiting class is ranked 5th in the SEC, that is huge for us.

When Stoops got here he didn't have many players, let alone depth. Top ranked little high school boys won't get it done either when they are going against higher ranked, fourth and fifth year players that have been coached by some of the best football coaches in the US and focused in the weight room and on football.

If you are worried about what Stoops has done so far, do us all a favor and shut up. Try and turn your little pea brain on and learn something or go help the old lady down the street, something worth while.

I think a lot of people here are confusing the term "hot seat." Let's say for argument's sake Stoops doesn't make a bowl. That doesn't mean he's going to get fired but I think it does ratchet up the pressure on him for the following season. The biggest thing in at a program like UK and the situation they are currently in is, are you showing improvement. We saw improvement last year, so reasonable expectations is to get over the hump and get to a bowl. If that doesn't happen, the fan base is going to get testy bc of how Stoops is recruiting and the money that is now being pumped into the program.

Now let's say you have two more seasons without a bowl and throw in losses to UL. What are the fans saying then? They would be screaming for a change. That's the hot seat. Frankly, it's a good thing that people are mentioning Stoops as a hot seat candidate at UK. It shows the pressure and the expectations are changing at UK. No bowl this year will not get Mark Stoops fired at UK. Everybody knows that, the writer even says that but he recognizes the pressure is there and I do too. The last line of the that little blurb is the overall view of the program. UK doesn't exactly have a reputation for longevity with coaches. They are either successful and leave/retire or get fired bc they were a disaster. I think that's what he means in 6 years neither will be there. I don't agree with that, but I can see where an outsider would come up with that.

If Stoops is the guy, I hope UK throws a lot of money at him to keep him here and keep helping him succeed in UK football.

Meh, just clutter to me. Stoops will be here year next year, but that should be our breakout year to show he can get it done with the talent he's bringing in.

Reactions: BlueRaider22
Pure lazy journalism.....it's just taking the easy way out.

That's far worse than lazy journalism. Lazy journalism is just not bothering do research. This guy is a pure idiot. There is probably as little a chance of Stoops being fired within the next five years as there is Les Miles getting fired. Maybe even less of chance.

That's far worse than lazy journalism. Lazy journalism is just not bothering do research. This guy is a pure idiot. There is probably as little a chance of Stoops being fired within the next five years as there is Les Miles getting fired. Maybe even less of chance.
Can't disagree....lets just call him a lazy idiot journalist.

Reactions: TBCat
Stoops won't be on hot seat next year., that is silly.

If 2016 and 2017 don't produce winning seasons maybe then but that is the only way

I will make the bold prediction that at least seven of the 14 SEC coaches will be gone in six years. With today's turn over rate half the coaches in any league are apt to be somewhere else.

Stoops' seat is on fire because the Cats are roasting the recruiting trail. I think we'll see the fruits of the recruiting over the last few years with a bowl game this season.

So in terms of seats being hot......Stoops' seat is sitting in Alaska right now.

Now let's say you have two more seasons without a bowl and throw in losses to UL. What are the fans saying then? They would be screaming for a change.

Alabama might lose 9 games next year, Nick Saben gets fired and winds up coaching a junior high team in Podunk Arkansas, but probably not.

Why obsess over things that will probably never happen? I swear if there is one needle of negativity in a haystack of success, some UK fans will relentlessly search for it until it's found. o_O

I think the jury is out on Stoops. To this point he hasn't been good but he hasn't been bad enough to warrant being on the hot seat. I think this year tells you guys a lot. Obviously you improved from year 1 to year 2 so that's all you have to go on.

The recruiting argument is flawed. It's interesting that this came up because I was just reading on our board a post from Jack Coffee (who runs Louisville Sports Report and the Rival site) in which he let it be known that the recruiting services cater to programs with high subscription rates for their services. Obviously UK has a large following and a large subscription base meaning that most of there recruiting rankings get a bump to keep subscribers happy. I think what he was getting at is that many of the rankings are over inflated and that maybe the classes Stoops has brought in aren't as good as the rankings would suggest. THis would also explain why the results haven't shown up on the field. Like I said, that's not coming from me, that's Jack Coffee who heads up the UofL version of one of these services. He would obviously know.

So dumb. Say we fire Stoops... who the hell do we get? There's no one out there with a better outlook. It'd be absolutely insane.

I think the jury is out on Stoops. To this point he hasn't been good but he hasn't been bad enough to warrant being on the hot seat. I think this year tells you guys a lot. Obviously you improved from year 1 to year 2 so that's all you have to go on.

The recruiting argument is flawed. It's interesting that this came up because I was just reading on our board a post from Jack Coffee (who runs Louisville Sports Report and the Rival site) in which he let it be known that the recruiting services cater to programs with high subscription rates for their services. Obviously UK has a large following and a large subscription base meaning that most of there recruiting rankings get a bump to keep subscribers happy. I think what he was getting at is that many of the rankings are over inflated and that maybe the classes Stoops has brought in aren't as good as the rankings would suggest. THis would also explain why the results haven't shown up on the field. Like I said, that's not coming from me, that's Jack Coffee who heads up the UofL version of one of these services. He would obviously know.

You can't "bump" people's offer lists. Based on that, recruiting is humming along like it should. This is and was a rebuild from the ground up, we all know this. We know what Joker was. No one with half a brain thinks otherwise, and that accounts for what we see on the field. I don't think anything Jack Cappucino says about website politics matters.

You can't "bump" people's offer lists. Based on that, recruiting is humming along like it should. This is and was a rebuild from the ground up, we all know this. We know what Joker was. No one with half a brain thinks otherwise, and that accounts for what we see on the field. I don't think anything Jack Cappucino says about website politics matters.
You can choose to ignore it. That's your right but Jack Coffee is one of the most respected guys in the rivals network. It most certainly does matter.

what ever ass clown wrote that needs to be on the 'hot seat'....that is absolutely the dumbest thing I have ever read.

Reactions: Deeeefense

the results haven't shown up on the field??
hes coached TWO season lol
2-10 to 5-7
more importantly his FIRST recruiting class ( which he put together at the last minute) are going to be Jr this year.. I dont know what you have been expecting but we were a team led by underclassmen that lacks depth at almost every key position.. and were still two plays away from 7 wins.. but yea no results on the field.. smh

Reactions: 2blue4u
You can choose to ignore it. That's your right but Jack Coffee is one of the most respected guys in the rivals network. It most certainly does matter.
Jack doesn't know Jack...sounds like he is working to appease the fan base he gives info to.

I pi$$ in his Coffee .........I'm not about banning people normally but this guy is walking a thin line.

I would imagine the Rivals group would not appreciate that type of endorsement....if thats how they work( and I don't buy that crap) then I will never pay another dime.

We've all seen how patient Barnhart can be. I expect Stoops to be here for as long as he wants. - Because I believe we will begin to see the results of his recruiting this year. Go Cats!!

Reactions: Dallas-Wild
ADVERTISEMENT